HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will This Be Sean Avery's Last Season As A Ranger?

Old
07-07-2011, 07:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Some of those 'detractors' are former 'supporters' that are disappointed with where his game has gone over the last 2 seasons.
Oh, I understand that. I had an Avery avatar for two years, I was one of his biggest fans at one time.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

vCash: 500
He sure served a purpose fir his time here. I just don't see where fits next yr. It'll be a stretch this season... Next yr you have 1 or 2 young guys pushing for spots on the wing... Folks think they'll be pushing this yr but I'm trying to stay realistic

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
He sure served a purpose fir his time here. I just don't see where fits next yr. It'll be a stretch this season... Next yr you have 1 or 2 young guys pushing for spots on the wing... Folks think they'll be pushing this yr but I'm trying to stay realistic
It's gonna be a long season and injuries will occur. Hopefully it's not as ridiculous with the amount/length as last season so he'll be all over the place.

I'd count on seeing Hagelin at some point this year if not for at the beginning, then later and also let's see what Jason Wilson who is a little older can bring to the table and if he can warrant a look.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:52 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I think Avery knows this year will make or break him in NY & perhaps having BR here will rejuvenate him or BR will be a good go between for him & Torts. Either way if he wants to make decent $ in the NHL let alone here(which I believe is his ideal team?) after this year he's gonna have to find his A game again. He has to lock up a top 9 spot IMO or he's likely gone.

Idk, I kinda expect a big year but wouldn't be surprised if he rarely dressed either. Weird situation.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:04 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't think Avery isn't putting forth the same effort if he can't put forth his "clownish activities" or whatever the original poster of that comment called them, I just think he's rendered a lot more ineffective. His antics in a very odd way contribute to opening things up.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:26 PM
chip chipperson*

after this year and next year being his contract year, im expecting avery to have a very good season. hope he gets it done

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

When Averys hot its hard to stop him. However we rarely see a "hot" Avery. If he keeps up his play from last year he'll consistently be scratched next year. I don't see any space for him especially unmotivated players.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:41 PM
RangerBlues

I believe this will be his last season as a pro hockey player unless the Rangers resign him.

RangerBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Richter35

it's possible. but honestly, I don't understand the Avery hate. yeah the guy goes offsides and sometimes takes stupid penalties. but he's been really good at times under torts (still not as effective as he was with renney), i think the problem has more to do with john keeping him on a leash.

The guy has wheels, is tough as hell and has offensive instincts. honestly he's our third best LW after dubinsky and wolski all things considered, and on the nights wolski floats i'd put him in 2nd. Sean makes the opening night roster in my mind, not a doubt.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:44 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Or perhaps the Islanders would want our sloppy seconds?

I think he's finished with us after this season. Always liked Sean though.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:10 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

The only thing giving sean avery another contract with the rangers is brad richards.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
The only thing giving sean avery another contract with the rangers is brad richards.
What's Richards going to do? Go to management and say I'm to demand a trade if Avery doesn't get an extension?

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:25 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

If he plays like he did in the playoffs, he'll get a decent amount of time and someone will take him at the deadline. Avery has value and he'll move on. With the trash that Vancouver ices, players like Laperrier & Burrows and guys like Marchand in Boston, Avery isn't as big as he used to be.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:42 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Avery DESERVES a shot at that top line spot?

Avery who scored 3 goals and 24 points last season deserves a shot at that spot over guys like..

Dubinsky 24/30/54
or even Fedotenko who played on a line with Brad Richards during their cup winning year, and who still had 10/15/25 in 10 fewer games than Avery while mostly playing on the 4th line.
We're talking about lines here as if Torts stuck with them for more than three shifts in a row. I'm sure every top 9 winger on the team will see at least a little time with Richards and Gaborik, depending on the situation.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Hes been one of my favorite rangers but this season will probably be his last and I guess its for the best. He aint a torts guy, there is no room for him as spots will only get tighter next year and the yr after with the likes of kreider, thomas and hagelin.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:42 AM
chosen

I have never seen a player receive more adulation from playing effectively for part of one season and being ineffective or a negative for the rest of the time. When he is long gone, his most enduring legacy will be taunting Brodeur.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
I believe this will be his last season as a pro hockey player unless the Rangers resign him.
nah since the sloppy seconds fiasco he hasnt done anything. Someone in the league will take a chance on him but yea Rangers let him walk

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:23 AM
broadwayblue

unless Avery steps it up big time he's definitely done as a Ranger. don't get me wrong...i've supported Sean, but unfortunately he's been neutered by the officials and i'm just not sure he'll be able to get back to playing the way he plays best.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:25 AM
NikC

he needs to retire from hockey and follow his true calling:

justice of the peace in greenwich village ny

NikC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:42 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I have never seen a player receive more adulation from playing effectively for part of one season and being ineffective or a negative for the rest of the time. When he is long gone, his most enduring legacy will be taunting Brodeur.
He was effective the first time we acquired him, for the end of the initial season and for the 55 games or so he played the next year. He was also effective the 20 or so games after we brought him in the second time.

There are valid reasons to criticize Avery, so why the need to exaggerate?

Old
07-09-2011, 11:04 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Not taking a stand on Avery either way, but wondering why other teams around the league can afford to keep a guy that plays a little over the edge and the NYR can't?

Vancouver has Burrows, Philly has/had Carcillo/Hartnell, Bruins have Marchand, etc, etc...
Those players were all put in positions to succeed for the most part.

Regardless of what people like mullichicken and many others say about Avery getting a fair shake, it's clear to anyone with eyes that doesn't with Torts.

Players that you mentioned on these other teams are accepted by the coach and it's understood what they do.

My biggest issue that I've stated many times with Torts is that he rarely sticks up for Avery. I've somewhat wavered on that stance because it's not fair of me to say that for sure, not knowing what is said to officials on the ice and done after games through phone calls to the league and what not. I'm obviously basing that off his comments to the media, which might not tell the whole story. We all understand the baggage that comes with Avery, but the blatant bias he's treated with by the on ice officials is a complete embarrassment. I'm not really concerned about all of the "give me a break," type comments that are subjectively spewed by so many on here. It's been clear as day for a long time now.

Where my stance has changed is that instead of necessarily blaming Torts for not defending Avery (because there's no way to be sure of that), what it comes down to is Torts has to accept the fact that there is a bias against Sean, and because of that Sean can easily become a detriment to the team.

Avery, like any player, takes penalties. Avery, because of his style of play, and poor defensive game, is prone to even more than the average player. Yet Avery, more than any player I've ever seen, is called for more phantom calls then I have ever seen in my life.

As useful a player as I think Avery can be, as much as I defend him here because I think that the opposing arguments against him are usually so utterly ridiculous, you can't change the reality of the situation.

Even if Avery thrived on a line with Richards and Gaborik, chances are he's going to be getting called for absolutely EVERYTHING. If that line is going well, chances are a big part of it would be Avery getting in deep on the forecheck real quick and taking the body. Can you imagine how many times he would get called for interference or boarding? It would be unreal.

I think Avery was utilized so poorly last year that it was embarrassing. But I also think that the biggest reason for that is because Torts knows he's playing with one member on his team that immediately puts him at a disadvantage. That's why he got such garbage minutes for most of last year.

The league has shown they will do nothing to address any of this, and why would they? They can't even fix the horrible officiating in general. We know they're not going to go out of their way to help a player they despise get a fair shake.

It's unfortunate but it's reality. It's been this way for quite some time now.

Avery will play great, and then while doing what he has been doing to stay at that level, he'll get called for something. In response, Torts immediately limits his minutes.

It is what it is at this point. I would like to see Sean get consistent third line minutes this year though. I think if he gets his 10-12 minutes every night he can still be a 10 goal 25-30 point guy.

We'll see if he gets that chance though.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:07 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
He was effective the first time we acquired him, for the end of the initial season and for the 55 games or so he played the next year. He was also effective the 20 or so games after we brought him in the second time.

LOL. Because it's chosen. One of the most notorious Avery loathers on this board. And those types of people have to resort to hyperbole because they can't understand how anyone can think there's a role for a pesky 30 point third liner.

Not when the personality of that third line player irritates them to no end.

Not when that third liner has developed a large fan base and they can't wrap their minds around why.

It eats away at them.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:43 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post

The first time we acquired him he was indeed effective for the end of the initial season. In his first full season he was an average player. Since then he has been more negative than positive.

My statement remains that his adulation far exceeds his on-ice value, and there is little doubt that most fan's first thoughts when it comes to Avery will be his antics, not his on-ice effectiveness.

Not quite sure how that is hyperbole.

There was another thread about overrated players. Has there been a more overrated Ranger by the fanbase than Avery?

Old
07-09-2011, 11:46 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
LOL. Because it's chosen. One of the most notorious Avery loathers on this board. And those types of people have to resort to hyperbole because they can't understand how anyone can think there's a role for a pesky 30 point third liner.

Not when the personality of that third line player irritates them to no end.

Not when that third liner has developed a large fan base and they can't wrap their minds around why.

It eats away at them.
It's similar to how I felt about Purinton. He was one of the worst dmen to ever play here but was adored by many for reasons other than his skills. Before you misinterpret, I am not saying Avery is anywhere as bad as Purinton was.

Fans in all sports are often swayed by sizzle rather than meat. Avery is all sizzle and very little meat.

Old
07-09-2011, 11:52 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The first time we acquired him he was indeed effective for the end of the initial season. In his first full season he was an average player. Since then he has been more negative than positive.

My statement remains that his adulation far exceeds his on-ice value, and there is little doubt that most fan's first thoughts when it comes to Avery will be his antics, not his on-ice effectiveness.

Not quite sure how that is hyperbole.

There was another thread about overrated players. Has there been a more overrated Ranger by the fanbase than Avery?
He was very good his first full season with us. Produced decent offense, and probably played his best level of agitation-branded hockey in his tenure here. That season was well above average for a third line agitator. You're the first person I've heard dispute this, even amongst all the Avery detractors here.

And then as I said, he was again a good player and a spark during the quarter season after we re-acquired him.

I'm not looking to dispute your other points. Just the part about him being good here for only part of one season.