HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Forsberg - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Old
02-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Alberta tough

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
I'll definitely go to that game, might go to the 4:00 of BC vs. Quebec as well. Should be interesting to see how Mackinnon in specific, stacks up against what looks to be a strong Ontario team (though maybe no Baptiste).

As for your list of guys, thanks a lot. I watch a ton of the '95 Ontario kids, but don't get to see any of the rest of Canada at that age. I'm trying to make a list of kids to watch on the other teams and I'll definitely add the kids you mentioned that I don't already have. Thanks also for the tip on Deschense from NB, wasn't planning on watching them but a kid that young is intriguing.

As for the post above me you can find it here.

EDIT: Hockeyfan beat me to it and provided a much easier to read link.
You should make a new thread for these games so we can follow it.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 11:49 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
hope your going to catch the Ontario vs Nova Scotia game on Saturday at 7:30 at the Metro Center....

Nova Scotia:

Nathan MacKinnon - Need I even put a report.

Ryan Graves - Should be a 1st round pick in the QMJHL draft, great size at 6'02, he is offense first guy, great hands with the puck, excellent exciting puck handler, has a pro shot from the point, great skating...this guy is a good one.

Zach Taylor - Will be a 1st round QMJHL pick, Very good defense, good QB ability, excellent shot from the point, very good outlet passing, plays for Notre Dame.

Bronson Beaton - Wil be a 1st round pick in the QMJHL, Needs to work on his skating, but great vision and playmaking, excellent hands around the net, and creates every time he is on the ice...if he skating improves he could be a star in the making.

Jacob Fancey - A possible 2nd rounder in the QMJHL, he is great positioning and excellent rebound control, this guy has great mental game and makes saves look easy.

Brandon Nickerson - This guy we could be talking about soon on these boards as well, he is a 96 defenseman playing Midget as a 14 year old this year and made the CWG team for Nova Scotia, he is 6'01 now, amazing skater and excellent puck rusher, he is already one of the best defenders in the league and is amazing all around, this guy you have to put a big must on watch, he has the skill next year to be the top defender for the QMJHL draft.

Matthe Highmore - Another 96 who made Nova Scotia as a 14 year old, and he made Dartmouth midget as an underager...he is a Gritty, two way forward, very responsible does all the little things right, and has solid offensive skills, next year in teh QMJHL draft he could be a top 10 pick in the draft next year.

Michael Lyle - it is a shame watching this guy, his skill level is just bellow Nathan MacKinnon he is amazingly skilled and could be a pro player if he wanted to be, he has amazing hands and very good shooting ability, he controls the game when he wants...BUT his problem is he has no heart or drive on the ice, seems to not want to try and just is very very very lazy...the games he tries makes you say WOW, but those are few and far between. Will get drafted in the QMJHL possible 2nd round pick, but if he played every game I would say he would have been giving Duclair a run for 2nd overall in the draft....but he never tries and makes you pull your hair out just watching him LOL.

AND MAKE SURE YOU WATCH LUC DESCHENSE on New Brunswick the guy is a 97 defenseman...he could be the next special player in all of hockey, this guy is AMAZING....make sure to catch him in action.

One more player who no one knows about much is Kris Hodge on Newfoundland, he should be a top 10 pick in the QMJHL draft, this guy is a primier power forward, he is strong, great in front, physical, great hands, good playmaking, this guy has it all, he is another one to watch.
No Ekblad for Ontario? hmmmmm........I thought he was lights out?

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Rshields

I haven't seen Alex play this year but saw a fair bit of him in previous years.
He is averaging 1.5 ppg this year as a 15yr old Midget, about the same as he did last yr. I expect most thought he would produce higher numbers than last yr but I see Alex as a pass first type player and probably misses Fiddler who played wing for him last yr and was a true sniper.
Alex sees the ice well and knows were he is going with the puck before he gets it. Sets up in quiet zones but is not a floater. He wins puck battles in the offensive zone. Lots of tap passes but needs supporting line mates that can capitalize on quick developing plays.
He is slow footed and doesn't get back to the D zone quick enough. This is going to be his biggest challenge in jr. How did he look in the games he played with PG ?
He can't carry low skill wingers but can make a good skating sniper look real good. Probably needs a real good 2 way player on one wing.

Rshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Alex Forsberg is VERY overrated, hes overrated cause he made Brady's as a 14 year old, they don't have many players try out ya know, hes very slow but has a good shot. Braeden Oleskyn isn't that good either, they put up good numbers cause they lots of ice time cause not many good players play for them.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman10 View Post
So excited to see all of the upcoming games. Pick Six you say you see a lot of Ontario 95s? Who would you say are the top 5 for the ohl draft as of now? Also, for those who don't believe scoutman when he says watch deschenes, he was the top D at the ACC in october which is like a canada games but only the atlantic provinces and he played for the u16 nb team (aka 95s) when he could have played for the u14 team. Another thing I would like to note is that scoutman said the same thing about brandon gormley 4 years ago who was 2 yrs underage, and how people should watch him and he turned out to go 13th overall in last years draft.
I do get to see a good amount of the MM kids that come through Ontario.

The top kids from Ontario would be in no order, IMO.

Nicholas Ritchie - Toronto Marlboros (W)
Max Domi - Don Mills Flyers (C)
Darnell Nurse - Don Mills Flyers (D)
Nicholas Baptiste - Ottawa Senators (W)

There's a bit of a drop after that, but still kids who have high potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
You should make a new thread for these games so we can follow it.
I plan to make one this week before the hockey starts (this Saturday afternoon), if there isn't one already made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
He is arguably better than any defencemen placed on Team Ontario not named Nurse at this point, but obviously they trended towards the older players and you can't blame them.

EDIT: And of course, thanks Rshields for the post.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Rshields

I could agree with most of what you say Nino but I see you have an Oiler for an avatar. Think Gretzky. What did he do that was real good as an individual? Poor skater, poor shooter, easily knocked off the puck as he had no strength. Just had great anticipation and made great passes.
Not saying Alex is the next Gretzky, but he plays to similar strengths.
Of course Gretz couldn't make it today as everything is a way different. Right?

Rshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 06:53 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
if he was on the team i would have put him on the list...he is not there because he is a 96 and ontario decided to go with all 95s.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
Alex Forsberg is VERY overrated, hes overrated cause he made Brady's as a 14 year old, they don't have many players try out ya know, hes very slow but has a good shot. Braeden Oleskyn isn't that good either, they put up good numbers cause they lots of ice time cause not many good players play for them.
You are hilarious.

He was the 1st overall pick in the WHL bantam draft, right where many people predicted him to go.

So that means dozens and dozens of scouts and people "in the loop" are actually out of the loop?

They were simply "fooled" because he made a certain team a year ahead of most players?

He made the team because he was/is a great player, and he proved it by his point totals and production.

And it's Beardy's, not Brady's.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
I do get to see a good amount of the MM kids that come through Ontario.

The top kids from Ontario would be in no order, IMO.

Nicholas Ritchie - Toronto Marlboros (W)
Max Domi - Don Mills Flyers (C)
Darnell Nurse - Don Mills Flyers (D)
Nicholas Baptiste - Ottawa Senators (W)

There's a bit of a drop after that, but still kids who have high potential.

Cianfrone could/should be included in that list. The guy is a supreme talent.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
PGCougarsDynasty

He's only played one game with Prince George. I was at the game and I can tell you that he is certainly not over-rated. He was definitely slower than his linemates (two twenty year olds stefishen and dobrowolski) but whenever he got the puck he knew exactly what to do with it- don't think he had any turn-overs. He probably only played like ten minutes but was never a liability. If he didn't have the full-face on I don't think anyone would have recognized him as a fifteen year old.

PGCougarsDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:37 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

FYI Forsberg is now 16 he has a early 95 birthday. Surprised no one has mentioned Team Alberta yet, should compete for the title. Some names to look for are Spencer Jensen, Josh Morrissey, Torrin White, Jaedon Deschaneau, Cole Ully, and Luke Philp.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:18 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
Well it appears if he had played a full season he would be near the top of the scoring race again, if not #1. Not bad for an underage. I dont believe any other 15 yr olds are scoring at that pace.

Old
02-09-2011, 10:10 PM
hockeyfan2009

Quote:
Well it appears if he had played a full season he would be near the top of the scoring race again, if not #1. Not bad for an underage. I dont believe any other 15 yr olds are scoring at that pace.
Check out Cory Millette, rookie plays for Moose Jaw in the same league - 8th in scoring so far this season, averaging 1.6 points per game - 51 points in 31 games. Comparable pace to Forsberg this season.

hockeyfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Alberta tough

Anyone see him play tonight for PG?

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2011, 11:58 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Anyone see him play tonight for PG?
He played last night as well in Vancouver, anyone see?

Old
03-13-2011, 12:16 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
He played last night as well in Vancouver, anyone see?
I saw him last night and he was very good.
I have tonights game archived and will watch it tomorrow.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 07:09 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil11 View Post
I said the same things few minutes ago in my thread '' Midget AAA - 14 years old '' ! loll ... He did 72 Points in 44 games !!!! Wow ! ... Do you know other players in Sasketchewan Midget AAA who are 14 years old ?

I think the WHL should let him play next season because he is ready! ... I think he will go first in the 2013 NHL draft !! ..
that would be cool, i live in PG and it would be fun to watch a potential #1 overall pick play for our local team.

nice to hear all the buzz about him, makes me really eager to see him play live.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Looking forward to more opinions on him leoleo.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
walker33

Alex Forsberg falling

Why has he fallen so much. I am reading rankings and most people don`t have him going in the first round of the NHL draft. Any insight

walker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
doubledown99

Isn't his draft year 2013?

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:07 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
nvm my bad

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Stanleyjub

Filip Forsberg is 2012 draft eligible,Alex is 2013.

Stanleyjub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
He had an injury filled season last year which made him drop, but he still has 2 years to make up the ground so he isn't falling.....yet.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Backlund

I'm sure this has been asked before but any relation to Peter? I doubt it but I'd still like to know.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before but any relation to Peter? I doubt it but I'd still like to know.
No Forsberg is. Including Filip Forsberg in 2012.

Alex's brother is Jesse Forsberg who wasn't drafted in this year's draft.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote