HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cup Winner Favorite

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2005, 08:17 PM
  #26
Scoogs
Registered User
 
Scoogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmour93
boston bruins roster is looking stacked!! i think they will emerge from the east, and the east in my opinion is much stronger than the west this year, so bruins will probably win it all.
But as of now, they have no goalie, so...

Scoogs is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 09:36 PM
  #27
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,398
vCash: 500
Tampa has to be considered the favourites, but just like last year, the Cup is totally up for grabs again. There are lots of teams who are in the mix for the Cup this year and the Leafs are one of them.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 09:46 PM
  #28
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
But as of now, they have no goalie, so...
Raycroft still not signed eh? Boston always seems to get itself into these situations.

wasting time is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 09:46 PM
  #29
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Tampa has to be considered the favourites, but just like last year, the Cup is totally up for grabs again. There are lots of teams who are in the mix for the Cup this year and the Leafs are one of them.
Yeah but with Burke as their goaltender, wouldn't you be worried?

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 09:49 PM
  #30
Leaf Army
Registered User
 
Leaf Army's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Leaf Nation
Posts: 8,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Yeah but with Burke as their goaltender, wouldn't you be worried?
Well I think it will be Graham, but yeah that's the only reason why I wouldn't call them the clear cut favourites.

Leaf Army is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 09:57 PM
  #31
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Tampa has to be considered the favourites, but just like last year, the Cup is totally up for grabs again. There are lots of teams who are in the mix for the Cup this year and the Leafs are one of them.
It all depends on their goaltending. I, like others, give alot of importance to goaltending and teams like Tampa and Ottawa have a lot of ' What Ifs '.

I really like Nashville this year. Solid defense, good goaltending and a not-so-shabby offense with Kariya added.

Pittsburgh can also surprise a few with Palffy, Lemieux, Recchi...defense is ok with Gonchar added...and Thibault isnt that bad.

Chicago will have a much better record. Guys like Bell, Arnason, Ruutu, Daze can only get better and Khabby is in net.

Toronto has alot of ' what ifs '. If it pans out for them then they can really have a productive season. Allison, Lindros and O'Neil need to keep their health in check...they need to play smart. Colaiacovo and Steen are ready to step up IMO and Belfour can still be solid. Im expecting a big year from Antropov. I really like the kid and i think if he gets to play with Sundin, he'll improve vastly. Defense isnt the greatest but is passable. Kaberle and McCabe arent too shabby and Khavanov isnt that bad either. Brad Brown, Aki Berg and Ken Klee are the defensive defensemen. Like i said, not the greatest...but passable. If Allison, Lindros, O'Neil stay healthy, Toronto can really surprise alot of people...especially in the playoffs because of the size and physical play.

Vancouver looks good too. Its all upto Cloutier IMO. He needs to sharpen up in the playoffs. Last year it was Vancouver to beat but Bertuzzi wasnt playing. If all stay healthy, Vancouver is a legit contender. Oh, by the way...i hate Vancouver but i love Mattias Ohlund. Soo underrated.

Edmonton looks great with Smyth, Peca, Horcoff, Hemsky, Nedved up front with Pronger anchoring the blueline. They'll be a very improved team ( DUH! ) but im not a big Conklin fan. Contenders? I dont know...

San Jose wont be as good as last year. They lost Vinny and Ricci who, believe me, were an important part of the team. They need veterans on the team to keep teaching new players. They'll be ok but not as good. Ekman, Cheechoo, Sturm, Marleau, Hannan, Stuart, Erhoff isnt a bad pair...but they're too inexperienced to go far in the playoffs.

Philadelphia is again a tough team to evaluate. Alot of ' What ifs '. If things pan out they're the team to beat. Pitkanen will only get better. Carter and Richards are ready to step in. Forsberg needs to stay healthy ( God i hope not ) and Primeau is still a beast. Hatcher was a bad addition IMO but Rathje was a solid one. Im a fan of Robert Esche. The team looks good on paper but they need to stay healthy.

hmmm...i gotta go...i have to do some more evaluations, not that its very important but im enjoying this. i'll be backkk a lil later...

Dark Knight is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 10:18 PM
  #32
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,746
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
leafs will win it all

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 10:25 PM
  #33
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
It all depends on their goaltending. I, like others, give alot of importance to goaltending and teams like Tampa and Ottawa have a lot of ' What Ifs '.

I really like Nashville this year. Solid defense, good goaltending and a not-so-shabby offense with Kariya added.

Pittsburgh can also surprise a few with Palffy, Lemieux, Recchi...defense is ok with Gonchar added...and Thibault isnt that bad.

Chicago will have a much better record. Guys like Bell, Arnason, Ruutu, Daze can only get better and Khabby is in net.

Toronto has alot of ' what ifs '. If it pans out for them then they can really have a productive season. Allison, Lindros and O'Neil need to keep their health in check...they need to play smart. Colaiacovo and Steen are ready to step up IMO and Belfour can still be solid. Im expecting a big year from Antropov. I really like the kid and i think if he gets to play with Sundin, he'll improve vastly. Defense isnt the greatest but is passable. Kaberle and McCabe arent too shabby and Khavanov isnt that bad either. Brad Brown, Aki Berg and Ken Klee are the defensive defensemen. Like i said, not the greatest...but passable. If Allison, Lindros, O'Neil stay healthy, Toronto can really surprise alot of people...especially in the playoffs because of the size and physical play.

Vancouver looks good too. Its all upto Cloutier IMO. He needs to sharpen up in the playoffs. Last year it was Vancouver to beat but Bertuzzi wasnt playing. If all stay healthy, Vancouver is a legit contender. Oh, by the way...i hate Vancouver but i love Mattias Ohlund. Soo underrated.

Edmonton looks great with Smyth, Peca, Horcoff, Hemsky, Nedved up front with Pronger anchoring the blueline. They'll be a very improved team ( DUH! ) but im not a big Conklin fan. Contenders? I dont know...

San Jose wont be as good as last year. They lost Vinny and Ricci who, believe me, were an important part of the team. They need veterans on the team to keep teaching new players. They'll be ok but not as good. Ekman, Cheechoo, Sturm, Marleau, Hannan, Stuart, Erhoff isnt a bad pair...but they're too inexperienced to go far in the playoffs.

Philadelphia is again a tough team to evaluate. Alot of ' What ifs '. If things pan out they're the team to beat. Pitkanen will only get better. Carter and Richards are ready to step in. Forsberg needs to stay healthy ( God i hope not ) and Primeau is still a beast. Hatcher was a bad addition IMO but Rathje was a solid one. Im a fan of Robert Esche. The team looks good on paper but they need to stay healthy.

hmmm...i gotta go...i have to do some more evaluations, not that its very important but im enjoying this. i'll be backkk a lil later...
Hey is that Bob Mckenzie?

BuppY is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 10:27 PM
  #34
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
Edmonton looks great with Smyth, Peca, Horcoff, Hemsky, Nedved up front with Pronger anchoring the blueline. They'll be a very improved team ( DUH! ) but im not a big Conklin fan. Contenders? I dont know...

San Jose wont be as good as last year. They lost Vinny and Ricci who, believe me, were an important part of the team. They need veterans on the team to keep teaching new players. They'll be ok but not as good. Ekman, Cheechoo, Sturm, Marleau, Hannan, Stuart, Erhoff isnt a bad pair...but they're too inexperienced to go far in the playoffs.
Nedved's in Pheonix and you missed Rathje on the FAs lost for SJ.


Last edited by Verbal Kint*: 09-14-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 10:42 PM
  #35
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Nedved's in Pheonix and you missed Rathje on the FAs lost for SJ.
as a fan of San Jose Sharks also, I am glad Rathje is gone and Ehrhoff will be counted on for top minutes, the kids special, watch him play and you'll see what im talking about.

BuppY is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 11:04 PM
  #36
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Nedved's in Pheonix and you missed Rathje on the FAs lost for SJ.
Damnit! i know i was missing something...yeah so u know Edmonton's situation.

hmmm...Anaheim looks alright with the addition of Selanne ( wont matter much ) but Neidermayer is a good addition. They wont be a playoff team though. They're not talented enough upfront. Goaltending is solid but except for Federov and Sykora i dont see anyone making an impact. Im a big Rucchin fan but he's old now.

NYR are screwed.

NYI are screwed by losing Aucoin and Hamrlick.

Detroit is interesting. Old. They lost their most talented player in Datsyuk. Zetterberg is ok, not great. Yzerman is old. Legace is alright. Chelios is getting old. Kronwall is good, wont make much of an impact but will be very serviceable. I just dont see Detroit making any noise. I have doubts on Detroit even making the playoffs.

Colorado WILL make the playoffs but losing Forsberg will definitely mean less points for Hejduk and Tanguay. They're still a good team but not as good after losing Forsberg. Yes, he was injured last season too. But he really helped in the playoffs. So basically, Colorado wont be making any noise. Who will be their first line C by the way?

Pheonix looks alright. With the addition of Hull, who i still think is good for 20 goals a season. Ricci, who will provide with veteran leadership. Nagy, who is due for a breakthrough season. and Doan, who is amazing. Cujo was a good addition. He's still not a bad goalie. Although i dont think they'll be very good. But they'll be improved for sure.

Hmmm...who else? ummm Calgary will be so good . Damn...Langkow, Amonte, Regehr, Leopold, Hamrlick, Simon, IGINLA, Lombardi, Kobasew, Kipper... Need i say more?

Umm...ok im tired now.

Dark Knight is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 11:13 PM
  #37
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Yeah but with Burke as their goaltender, wouldn't you be worried?

Graham should be there starter, and personally I'd feel pretty comfortable with him.
He's done a fine job relieving Khabibulin when he crashed and burned in the 02-03 playoffs.
He's done a very good job getting about 25gms a yr as Bulin's backup in the regular season.

IMHO Graham could jump in and immediately be a decent starter right away, it's more then sufficiently proven he's a capable goaltender.

He won't be great, but there are around probably a bit over a dozen worse starters in the NHL.

Rand is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 11:18 PM
  #38
Rand
Registered User
 
Rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
Pittsburgh can also surprise a few with Palffy, Lemieux, Recchi...defense is ok with Gonchar added...and Thibault isnt that bad.
IMHO Pittsburgh's defence is absolutely dreadful, adding Gonchar helps but their still extremely weak to say the least. Definitely among the very worst in the NHL.
Thibault is a pretty good goaltender. and largely underrated IMHO... but I don't think he can handle a big load.

Palffy is great, Lemieux won't even play more often then not. Crosby is a hell of a prospect but he isn't going to jump in and be a Hart threat immediately ala Gretzky. Recchi is a likeable player, and still pretty good but he's due for a downturn.

Their 3rd and 4th lines are still awfully poor.

I see them as being a longshot for the playoffs let alone the cup.

Rand is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 11:26 PM
  #39
timlap
Registered User
 
timlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 7,260
vCash: 500
I predict Ottawa. (If I predict it, maybe it won't be allowed to happen).

timlap is offline  
Old
09-14-2005, 11:38 PM
  #40
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
I predict Ottawa. (If I predict it, maybe it won't be allowed to happen).
If that works then I proxy you my vote to do with as you see best ..

Mess is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.