HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders were a day one winner

Old
07-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Fantom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
I don't think Hunter even makes the team.
Hunter will make this team. He is not that bad.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:04 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Yes, I would've liked to see Connolly come back. He has also played wing in his career even though he's a natural center. But again, it's not only our needs, the fit has to be right for the player as well.

For instance, Connolly is a natural center, he probably prefers being a top line center in Toronto, instead of being JT's wing. Furthermore, apparently he really wanted to play in Toronto. I suppose we could've blown him out of the water with a $5+ million type of contract over 2-3 years, but is that really wise for an injury prone player not playing at his natural position?

Also, I think Snow is right for not wanting to make a mistake in dealing a budding prospect for immediate help. The main reason for that is: we really don't know how good our team is. Last year, we started the year off with injuries to our best dman (streit) and our best all-around forward entering the season (KO). On top of all that we gave Dipietro far too many starts in goal, and suffered through an unprecedented losing streak.

In the 2nd half of the season, we looked like a playoff team. But how much of that was true progression and how much of that is playing without pressure? It's hard to know.

The teams that rise to compete annually usually take the same approach:

1) Build a team good enough to compete for a spot in the playoffs
2) Tweak with UFA, and risky trades to take you to the next level

We finished as the 4th worst team in the league last year. We are not 1, 2, or 3 marginal/solid players (and that's what's usually available in UFA and via trades) away from contending for a cup. We need difference-makers, and those are not really available right now. We don't know how good this team is yet. We're still on step 1. I think we move past that step this year. I also believe that Snow is working hard to obtain a top 4 dman that fits (a puck-moving dman).

When GMs obtain players that FIT, instead of just filling "needs," things generally work out better. Florida looks like a desperate team looking to fill holes and reach cap floor. They have not made themselves significantly better.
Pass on paying market value or above for chronically injured Connolly.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:06 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Hunter will make this team. He is not that bad.
A tough injury to recover from for a guy who is not fleet of foot.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
A tough injury to recover from for a guy who is not fleet of foot.
you know i forgot he was hurt

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Hunter's lack of speed hurts his line chemistry. If that wasn't bad enough, he has not really been a scorer since before the lockout. His rookie year almost seems like a fluke. He still hits a lot, but Matt Martin does that role and skates much better.

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Bones45

people are making too much of this ( but what is a messageboard for, right?)

we upgraded someone on our fourth line.

but the bigger question is this.

WHO THE **** IS MARTY REASONER?

god damn.. another no-name to become an Isles nothing.. and we are debating for 3 pages over him?

Really?

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
people are making too much of this ( but what is a messageboard for, right?)

we upgraded someone on our fourth line.

but the bigger question is this.

WHO THE **** IS MARTY REASONER?

god damn.. another no-name to become an Isles nothing.. and we are debating for 3 pages over him?

Really?
He's actually not a bad player. He'll immensely help the fourth line and can play with bailey and Comeau if need be from what I've seen over the years. He's a smart hockey player, but nothing to guarantee a playoff spot.

He's the thinnest girl available for the prom when by all rights we should be looking at heffers given our team's owner and record.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:23 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
He's actually not a bad player. He'll immensely help the fourth line and can play with bailey and Comeau if need be from what I've seen over the years. He's a smart hockey player, but nothing to guarantee a playoff spot.

He's the thinnest girl available for the prom when by all rights we should be looking at heffers given our team's owner and record.
I actually think this gives Martin an opportunity to show more offensively. Reasoner is signficantly better than ZK in that department. Martin, Reasoner, Hunter/Haley gives us a pretty skilled and gritty 4th line. Centers are usually the engines that make a line go.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Bones45

and when you upgrade from Shirley to Alice you shouldn't be all happy.

keep your mouth shut and just hope you get some.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:32 PM
DocAzura

I'm just curious.
To the naysayers...what player in this years free agent class do you think,
a) got a fair market contract
b) would make the Islanders a guaranteed playoff team
c) would be a mentor/example and help the kids development

DocAzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
I'm just curious.
To the naysayers...what player in this years free agent class do you think,
a) got a fair market contract
b) would make the Islanders a guaranteed playoff team
c) would be a mentor/example and help the kids development
A. They all got fair market contracts aside from a few Florida/Columbus signings. We need to overpay like those teams do to get anyone to play here.

B. Not one individual on this years UFA crop makes this team a playoff team. Too many holes especially on defense and in net.

C. Arnott, Kaberle, White, Gagne etc..

So far Snow has done next to nothing to improving a lotto team. I understand baby steps but, bottom 5 for 4 straight seasons is lateral.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
So far Snow has done next to nothing to improving a lotto team. I understand baby steps but, bottom 5 for 4 straight seasons is lateral.
So it goes in a rebuild/youth movement.

Adding bodies when you've already got 13 forwards, 8 defensemen and 4 goalies that all realistically already come into play (once all the RFAs are resigned) is a choice to take ice time away from those guys you got.

Whether we like it or not, or want to blame it on the circumstances or even say it's poorrrrrr work by the GM, there's legitimate reason to believe that much better health, continued maturity/growth by the younger players and - MY FAVORITE AND UP TO NOW HARDLY MENTIONED FACTOR - existing chemistry and familiarity will be the keys to competing with all these teams that added their shiny new toys, most of whom were added for money they're not worth, but I digress.

Now we can sit back and see how much our own RFAs are going to cost. Will they at least get us to the cap floor.

Then we can see if under the radar signings will take place - as they always have.

We'll also see if there's a trade, whether just tweaking or more impactful, which may very well be pending what happens to allllllll these guys going to arbitration.

Then we'll have camp and of course, the always fun waiver wire acquisitions!

Still lots to look forward to, but it won't happen overnight.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
So it goes in a rebuild/youth movement.

Adding bodies when you've already got 13 forwards, 8 defensemen and 4 goalies that all realistically already come into play (once all the RFAs are resigned) is a choice to take ice time away from those guys you got.
Snow set himself up to do nothing by having so many players signed. We still have plenty of ice time to go around. Our 3rd line is very much in the air other than Comeau. I personally do not pencil Bailey into a spot anymore, if he does not earn it let him sit in the press box for a few games and make him earn it. PAP can also be bumped down from line 1, so we have room to improve on offense. Our defense has alot of bodies but lacks quality. Other than Streit, Hamonic, and MaCdonald, we have 5 more 5-8 dmen.

I am still 100% convinced the only reason we went for a "re-build" is because it is an excuse to give fans for losing and icing a cheap team. Although that is part of the definition of a re-build we have not added much to push it along.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:56 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
A. They all got fair market contracts aside from a few Florida/Columbus signings. We need to overpay like those teams do to get anyone to play here.

B. Not one individual on this years UFA crop makes this team a playoff team. Too many holes especially on defense and in net.

C. Arnott, Kaberle, White, Gagne etc..

Just out of curiosity, would be happy if Snow signed Erhoff for 40 mil, or Greene for 12 mil, or Hejda for 13 mil, or Ward for 12 mil, or Cole 18 mil, or Leino for 27 mil?

I wouldn't. I'm happy we got K.O. & Grabner, who are rising stars, for a cap hit of 3 mil, long term.

Of the players you mentioned, i do believe Arnott would help the kids grow, but the question is why would he come to LI?

This is a team that hasn't made the playoffs in a long time, with an uncertain future.
As much as i would love to see players wanting to come to LI, it ain't gonna happen until the team solves it location issue, and they make the playoffs on their own.

But looking at the talent compiled buy Snow, and the contracts he's signed some of these kids to, not only am i glad he hasn't signed any "expensive" free agents, but i'm enjoying his patience.

DocAzura is offline   Reply With Quote