HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Thoughts and Offseason Speculation for the 2011-2012 Season III

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
KerlandJobe have a busy schedule this week.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
jimmy1100

Are we forgetting the Gilbert Brule situation? Brule was not entirely fit and, as such, could not be bought out because he would start the season on LTIR. Since Drury was bought out, he must have received doctor's clearance to play otherwise he would not have been eligible for said buyout.

Does that mean he's healthy enough too actually play, let alone make a difference? Who knows? I'm thinking it's not outside the realm of possibility that Drury/Rangers got a doctor to clear him just for the purposes of a buyout (i.e. Drury doing NYR a favor).

Just something to keep in mind (the buyout/injury part, not the Drury/favor part).

Old
07-07-2011, 08:00 PM
lakings41

Why not just go the John Madden route for 4th line center?

Old
07-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Johnny Utah

Kings roster is set for the most part IMO.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Richardson
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth

I'm sure one of Clune, King, Nolan, Holloway will challenge for the #13 forward spot, but right now that is all the players back from last year plus the new additions.

Adding anyone else pushes any one of those guys out and Murray showed he likes all those guys for at least 60 games. Kings got softer when we lost Simmonds and Poni, so keeping Westy in or having a tough kid from Manchester is a necesity at this point and Lewis, Clifford and Richie are everyday players coming out of the playoffs and the coaches are still high on Parse.

So people can speculate on Drury or Madden or all other washed up dude, but that doesn't fit Lombardi's principles of getting younger and better every year and adding from within and getting the right pieces. Hextall said on his latest interview that some guys from Manchester will be challenging, but the roster seems set for now.

I love this line-up, it's young, tough and fast and the bottom 6 are low paying guys (except Stoll). I love it. No whipping boys, no Harrold's.

Old
07-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I like Richardson, but he's still got some issues in the defensive zone. At this point, Drury on one leg is a better defensive player than Richardson.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:05 PM
lumbergh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kings roster is set for the most part IMO.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Gagne-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Richardson
Parse-Lewis-Westgarth

I'm sure one of Clune, King, Nolan, Holloway will challenge for the #13 forward spot, but right now that is all the players back from last year plus the new additions.

Adding anyone else pushes any one of those guys out and Murray showed he likes all those guys for at least 60 games. Kings got softer when we lost Simmonds and Poni, so keeping Westy in or having a tough kid from Manchester is a necesity at this point and Lewis, Clifford and Richie are everyday players coming out of the playoffs and the coaches are still high on Parse.

So people can speculate on Drury or Madden or all other washed up dude, but that doesn't fit Lombardi's principles of getting younger and better every year and adding from within and getting the right pieces. Hextall said on his latest interview that some guys from Manchester will be challenging, but the roster seems set for now.

I love this line-up, it's young, tough and fast and the bottom 6 are low paying guys (except Stoll). I love it. No whipping boys, no Harrold's.
So what happens if Williams goes down?

Old
07-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
Brown moves up and Kozun or Holloway are called up.

Gagne-Richards-Kozun wouldn't be a bad 2nd line.

Kings finally have speed through the lineup and have depth in the organization.

Old
07-07-2011, 09:51 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Brown moves up and Kozun or Holloway are called up.

Gagne-Richards-Kozun wouldn't be a bad 2nd line.

Kings finally have speed through the lineup and have depth in the organization.
Behind Kozun and Holloway (who is better as a LW/C imo) we could see a young Toffi come up if desperately needed as well.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:06 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Behind Kozun and Holloway (who is better as a LW/C imo) we could see a young Toffi come up if desperately needed as well.
JW better get hurt before the season starts then....

Old
07-07-2011, 10:18 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see Lokti moved up to 2C.

Penner-Kopi-Brown
Gagne-Lokti-Richards

If the Kings get the lead heading into the 3rd, Lokti gets benched and it becomes

Gagne-Richards-Lewis

to close out the game

Old
07-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I like Richardson, but he's still got some issues in the defensive zone. At this point, Drury on one leg is a better defensive player than Richardson.
That's true, Richardson looks lost at times at his own end, doesn't handle the responsibilities of a center too well, but if they do desire a defensive minded center, why not one with two legs, like John Madden or Ryan Johnson?

I like the player that Drury used to be, not the player he is now, on the verge of retirement. It would be a repeat of the failed Roenick experiment.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:23 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I like the player that Drury used to be, not the player he is now, on the verge of retirement. It would be a repeat of the failed Roenick experiment.
At least we won't be depending on Drury to be important, nor do we have high expectations (unlike Roenick). I think most fans are happy with the team as is. If he does contribute, Great! If not, we're not worse off.

And Drury will pretend like he cares if nothing else, unlike JR.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:29 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Brooks tends to jump to conclusions far sooner than I'd like, using facts sprinkled ever so slightly with his own opinions and speculation. Take the Richards saga, Brooks was guaranteeing at various times throughout June and early July that he was and was not headed to New York. In this case, I'm not entirely convinced that Drury's out of action next year, that's all.
He gets the scoop. More often than any other beat writer I know of.

And I don't think he was saying Richards wasn't coming to NY, he was saying Richards wasn't coming at a certain price. In fact, Brooks stated that 6.5M was the number, and it turned out he was pretty spot on as usual.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:47 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
JW better get hurt before the season starts then....
If you're referring to Toffoli, remember Schenn was recalled for 1 game in 09-10. So it's been done.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
outofrange

I like Drury (at the right price) for the third or fourth line. It's insurance and it kind comes across as a midseason acquisition only done earlier on lol.

But it better be for a year.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I'll take him if it is for dirt cheap. Otherwise, I think this whole obsession with the third line is getting out of hand... And we have three more months of this >.<

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
07-07-2011, 11:22 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
If you're referring to Toffoli, remember Schenn was recalled for 1 game in 09-10. So it's been done.
Schenn was an emergency call-up to the west coast cause the Kings couldn't get a player out of Manchester in time, as well as having not signed his ELC was eligible for a 1 day contract. Toffoli plays in Ontario and has already signed his ELC.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
KingLB

Quote:
That's true, Richardson looks lost at times at his own end, doesn't handle the responsibilities of a center too well, but if they do desire a defensive minded center, why not one with two legs, like John Madden or Ryan Johnson?

Does Madden have 2 legs though?

Old
07-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Ollie Weeks

Richardson was outstanding back when he was centering our 4th line full-time (most of 09/10), running around against the oppositions' lesser lines. He only started to struggle noticeably when he was matched up against Thornton late in the playoffs. He has a niche, and its anchoring a killer 4th line.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Does Madden have 2 legs though?
Since breaking into the NHL, the least amount of games Madden has appeared in during a season is 74 games. In 76 games last season with the Wild, Madden posted 12 goals and 25 points, respectable numbers for a defensive minded center with three Cup rings.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:53 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Since breaking into the NHL, the least amount of games Madden has appeared in during a season is 74 games. In 76 games last season with the Wild, Madden posted 12 goals and 25 points, respectable numbers for a defensive minded center with three Cup rings.
Ryan Smyth played 82 last year, not really an indicator of "still having it" and as for the points, Madden was almost in a Stoll role last year where for chunks of the season Madden was in the top6 and was needed to produce for Minny to succeed (no wonder they didn't make the playoffs).

Old
07-08-2011, 12:07 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Schenn was an emergency call-up to the west coast cause the Kings couldn't get a player out of Manchester in time, as well as having not signed his ELC was eligible for a 1 day contract. Toffoli plays in Ontario and has already signed his ELC.
All i'm saying is in a pinch, it can be done. Let's hope it's not needed.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Madden wasn't a top six forward in Minnesota, Mikko Koivu and Matt Cullen were their top two centers, Madden was their version of Handzus.

Old
07-08-2011, 01:27 AM
cubsfan999

just curious...

how would you guys feel about a possible trade for matt d'agostini from the blues as a RW sniper for richards? move brown to 3rd line to bang with cliffy?

could he be had for something around martinez and maybe richardson? voynov then steps in...

Old
07-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Drury is a pro's pro. This is the kind of veteran you acquire to mentor young players. You sign him for a year or two for cheap, stick him on the 4th line and maybe the PK and it's very low risk, medium reward. His two way play and championship past would be huge in the playoffs.

This is the kind of veteran you add, not Blake or Smyth.

Would be very happy with this deal, assuming it's cheap.

Closed Thread