HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stamkos Agrees To Five-year, $37.5m Contract With Lightning

Old
07-07-2011, 06:58 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Neither are close to what St. Louis is, and that is part of the reason he is so successful. Giroux is the closest we have, but when Briere is traded, he has to stay at wing.

Its just a strange situation.
Yeah that's what I was thinking about him and Marty. Maybe we can sign a veteran center for cheap with the money we have left over and put Roo on his line then. Who knows? We can cross that bridge when we get to it lol

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:11 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
You didn't include the portion where I said I don't see why TB would take on 14 mil in cap esp another D man as they have 8 under contract as is. Don't shoot the messenger, I am just reporting what was said on a radio station in Philly. I would have done this before July 1, but you move those 2 forwards and bring back one, it leaves a pretty substanstial hole in our top 9 moving both of those guys, and we are now down a D man. Do this trade then sign Doughty to an offer sheet
Can you tell us what time you heard this? I'd like to figure out which guy it was on 97.5 to see if this is actually credible.

I noticed someone asked you about this in the thread on the main board too and you never responded?

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Devastate

No thank you. Not for the price of Briere. I rather give up Schenn

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Snipsnap12

The more I think about this the less I like it. I think we have a very good roster right now, and dont think this team needs any more big moves/shakeup because our remaining core and identity will be totally gone. Our forward group is going to surprise alot of people and fans, and will provide more than enough scoring to win games with our elite d corps and goalie.

Stamkos will take up too much cap space, and we will have to give up too much imo. Brayden Schenn is going to be a player, and I dont think it is going to be long. What if he comes out flying like jeff skinner did last year? THen we have 3 scary scoring line if we dont already.

Everyone needs to realize that guys like JVR, voracek, schenn, simmonds, even giroux are still getting better and their point totals should go up.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
The more I think about this the less I like it. I think we have a very good roster right now, and dont think this team needs any more big moves/shakeup because our remaining core and identity will be totally gone. Our forward group is going to surprise alot of people and fans, and will provide more than enough scoring to win games with our elite d corps and goalie.

Stamkos will take up too much cap space, and we will have to give up too much imo. Brayden Schenn is going to be a player, and I dont think it is going to be long. What if he comes out flying like jeff skinner did last year? THen we have 3 scary scoring line if we dont already.

Everyone needs to realize that guys like JVR, voracek, schenn, simmonds, even giroux are still getting better and their point totals should go up.
I cannot wait for this BS to end

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:00 PM
FlyingHigh
save us flyer jesus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post

Holmgren won't hesitate to get Stamkos, im just afraid of what it will cost like you said.

Stamkos at the risk of Schenn, JVR, 1st 2012, 1st 2013 no thanks.

Stamkos at the risk of Schenn, Bob, 1st 20whatever Where do i sign?

I by no means want to include Couturier in any of this. I think that kid will be special. Best case scenario imo he'd be the next Brindy...

FlyingHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:37 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
Holmgren won't hesitate to get Stamkos, im just afraid of what it will cost like you said.

Stamkos at the risk of Schenn, JVR, 1st 2012, 1st 2013 no thanks.

Stamkos at the risk of Schenn, Bob, 1st 20whatever Where do i sign?

I by no means want to include Couturier in any of this. I think that kid will be special. Best case scenario imo he'd be the next Brindy...
I would want to keep JvR, Giroux, and one of Schenn or Couturier. Schenn is supposed to be the best prospect but Couturier only dropped in the draft because of his mono. We'll be fine if we get rid of only one of them

Old
07-07-2011, 10:02 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Keep Schenn at all costs.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I would want to keep JvR, Giroux, and one of Schenn or Couturier. Schenn is supposed to be the best prospect but Couturier only dropped in the draft because of his mono. We'll be fine if we get rid of only one of them
I beg to differ with your statement that the reason he dropped was because of his mono. He has been in the league for three years and his game has been picked apart and apart. The same thing happens to all players that are scrutinized year in and year out after they are in a league for a extended period of time. Players like Larsson fall into the category. I wish he could go back to junior to build his strength up. However this will be his fourth year in the league and really he will just stagnate there. So I am a betting man and I will say that he will most likely make the team as our fourth line center if Schenn makes the team. I like the look of this young talent we are putting together. G,JVR, Schenn and Couturier are really nice building blocks along with Jake and Simmer and others. The future of this team is really bright.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Prongo
Beer

Im starting to feel like lets keep all the young kids we just traded for or drafted. I loved Richie and believe it or not Carter, but there was always a knock on them for something. They either had the work ethic questioned or not getting along with members of the locker room and media. Not sure if its all true but it was always hanging over them while they were playing here. With these kids hopefully they bring character and can produced the same way richie and carts did. Schenn and Couts both seem to have character and the work ethic like Giroux does. They constantly try to improve themselves and seem like good kids. Im starting to like the future of the Flyers even better than when we were saying the same thing with Carts and Richie. We have top end talent in our prospect pool and a young blossoming superstar in Mr. Claude Giroux.

Instead of focusing on young elite forwards i say save the money and assets it would cost to get Stamkos and go after a big name free agent dman if they hit the market(suter). I would love for us to grab him and have JVR, Giroux, Schenn, Couts all develop into stars with our organization.

Basically screw Stamkos and let's build our team from what we have!

And yes i did like the idea of getting Stamkos earlier but the more i think about it the better our team will be going forward with what we have. A man can change his mind

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:35 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I beg to differ with your statement that the reason he dropped was because of his mono. He has been in the league for three years and his game has been picked apart and apart. The same thing happens to all players that are scrutinized year in and year out after they are in a league for a extended period of time. Players like Larsson fall into the category. I wish he could go back to junior to build his strength up. However this will be his fourth year in the league and really he will just stagnate there. So I am a betting man and I will say that he will most likely make the team as our fourth line center if Schenn makes the team. I like the look of this young talent we are putting together. G,JVR, Schenn and Couturier are really nice building blocks along with Jake and Simmer and others. The future of this team is really bright.
that's true but I think a small part of it was the mono. Either way, we will have a good team for years

Old
07-07-2011, 10:38 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
If he makes this team, I want him on Schenn's wing and Nodl on the fourth line. Throw Simmonds on that line as well to keep an eye on them.

One thing people are going to have to realize, yes we have talent, but we're also EXTREMELY young up front. Youth is great, but it also has its fallbacks.

Last edited by CS: 07-07-2011 at 10:50 PM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:47 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Basically screw Stamkos and let's build our team from what we have!
I too would like to keep the team we have now and save the money for later. You dont need someone like stamkos to win, look at boston. Also ask the caps what theyve done with ovie.

MRxBLACK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:00 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If he makes this team, I want him on Schenn's wing and Nodl on the fourth line. Throw Simmonds on that line as well to keep an eye on them.

One thing people are going to have to realize, yes we have talent, but we're also EXTREMELY young up front. Youth is great, but it also has its fallbacks.
Hopefully those fallbacks don't show with this talent. I would be happy if we kept them or traded one or two. Either way would be fine with me, although even I (me being one of the people in the beginning saying,"do whatever it takes to get Stamkos") am starting to think that keeping these guys would be a better option

Old
07-07-2011, 11:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
Hopefully those fallbacks don't show with this talent. I would be happy if we kept them or traded one or two. Either way would be fine with me, although even I (me being one of the people in the beginning saying,"do whatever it takes to get Stamkos") am starting to think that keeping these guys would be a better option
I'm on the "let's see what we have before we jump through anymore hoops" train as well.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:26 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

If we don't make a move and both Schenn and Couts make the team, how about rolling with these lines:

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Voracek-Schenn-Briere
Hartnell-Couturier-Simmonds
Talbot-Betts-Shelley/Nodl/other

I think that would give us two excellent top lines of scoring and our 3rd line would be a very nice shut-down line which could also provide some scoring, and then we have our usual 4th line.

I don't love the idea of moving Schenn or Couts off the center, and I think Briere's future is @ RW anyway...

Old
07-07-2011, 11:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
If we don't make a move and both Schenn and Couts make the team, how about rolling with these lines:

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Voracek-Schenn-Briere

I think that would give us two excellent top lines of scoring and our 3rd line would be a very nice shut-down line which could also provide some scoring, and then we have our usual 4th line.

I don't love the idea of moving Schenn or Couts off the center, and I think Briere's future is @ RW anyway...
I'd want...

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Schenn - Briere
Simmonds - Couturier - Voracek
Betts - Talbot - Nodl

Or...

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Couturier
Betts - Talbot - Nodl

Either is fine.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:30 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
I'm on the "let's see what we have before we jump through anymore hoops" train as well.
Normally, I would agree, but if Schenn nets us Stamkos, you have to go for it IMO. Schenn is a great young talent, but even if he hits the absolute peak of his potential, he won't be Stamkos.

Plus the idea of "Seeing what you've got" isn't always the best approach. If you put Schenn out there and he struggles, his value plummets. It's a pretty big risk, so if you can flip him right now for a player of Stamkos's ability, you do it... as long as we don't have to include too many complimentary pieces and as long as Giroux / JVR / Couturier aren't involved.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Agreed. We don't really need to blow up the team twice in a month.

07-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Normally, I would agree, but if Schenn nets us Stamkos, you have to go for it IMO. Schenn is a great young talent, but even if he hits the absolute peak of his potential, he won't be Stamkos.

Plus the idea of "Seeing what you've got" isn't always the best approach. If you put Schenn out there and he struggles, his value plummets. It's a pretty big risk, so if you can flip him right now for a player of Stamkos's ability, you do it... as long as we don't have to include too many complimentary pieces and as long as Giroux / JVR / Couturier aren't involved.
I'm with you on this if it weren't for the massive cap hit it's likely going to take to get Stamkos here (presuming we could even get our paws on him). We have a lot of high end talent on RFA contracts...I am content to roll the dice with them.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:37 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Am I alone thinking this team won't miss Ville Leino at all?

07-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Am I alone thinking this team won't miss Ville Leino at all?
I think they will be fine with out him for the most part, and then miss him most when it really counts. He wasn't a consistent performer IMO, but when he decided he was ready to play he was very effective, including on the back check.

Old
07-07-2011, 11:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

JVR-Giroux-Jagr
Voracek-Schenn-Briere

I think that 2nd line would get shredded. They have great skill but limited toughness. They'd get smoked by the Rangers and Bruins toughness, and embarrassed by the more elite skilled 2nd lines like Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:47 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I'm with you on this if it weren't for the massive cap hit it's likely going to take to get Stamkos here (presuming we could even get our paws on him). We have a lot of high end talent on RFA contracts...I am content to roll the dice with them.
That's the thing though, it would obviously be a sign and trade kind of deal, so we'd know what the cap hit was going to be before we trade for him. If it's a crippling amount (over $9M), I wouldn't do it.

But if it's around $8M or $8.5M, I'd be cool with it.

The other interesting thing to hear would be just how much Stamkos is asking for. If he's asking for Ovechkin money, I would have to assume that would affect the kind of quality that the Lightning would expect in a trade. I mean, at that price, you'd have to assume the top prospects (Schenn, Couturier) are off the table.

Which is actually why that Briere trade is so interesting. On the surface, it looks like a joke, but if Stammer is asking for $9M, it could work from both team's perspectives... With our young core of forwards, Stammer fits in much better w/ the direction of the team, while Briere would fit in better w/ the Lightning...

Old
07-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
That's the thing though, it would obviously be a sign and trade kind of deal, so we'd know what the cap hit was going to be before we trade for him. If it's a crippling amount (over $9M), I wouldn't do it.

But if it's around $8M or $8.5M, I'd be cool with it.

The other interesting thing to hear would be just how much Stamkos is asking for. If he's asking for Ovechkin money, I would have to assume that would affect the kind of quality that the Lightning would expect in a trade. I mean, at that price, you'd have to assume the top prospects (Schenn, Couturier) are off the table.

Which is actually why that Briere trade is so interesting. On the surface, it looks like a joke, but if Stammer is asking for $9M, it could work from both team's perspectives... With our young core of forwards, Stammer fits in much better w/ the direction of the team, while Briere would fit in better w/ the Lightning...

I don't think either of those guys (Schenn, Couturier) come off the table if he is asking for Ovie money. I think JVR and Giroux are off the table because of the money he is asking for, but we'd still have to give to get...