HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Tellqvist will be the back up

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2005, 10:24 PM
wasting time

vCash: 500
Tellqvist will be the back up

Quinn said that Tellqvist will back up Belfour. The when caught on it he said, "oh well we are open to the challenge for positions, but we are starting camp with our own notions of the roster."

Tellqvist is going to have to stink it up in other words.

Old
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Was this in question? Aubin could still challenge but I think Telly would still be the first choice.

Old
09-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Verbal Kint*

Very good to hear.

Old
09-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Quinn said that Tellqvist will back up Belfour. The when caught on it he said, "oh well we are open to the challenge for positions, but we are starting camp with our own notions of the roster."

Tellqvist is going to have to stink it up in other words.
I think Telly has earned the right to say its his spot to lose ..

He played in the AHL during the lockout and in an interview he said that management has said he will get every chance to backup Eddie and it was in his best interest to remain in the AHL rather then return to the SEL to increase his odds..

Old
09-12-2005, 10:48 PM
mooseOAK*

Of course he is, there was no question.

Old
09-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Mike1

The key for Tellqvist is the consistentcy. He has his games where he looks pretty good but he also has his games where he doesn't look good.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Nevertheless, a bad slip for Quinn. That sort of offhand comment can really sour a relationship with the other player.

Old
09-13-2005, 09:58 AM
BuppY

TellY's job to loose lets see how he goes in there, and performs in training camp.

Old
09-13-2005, 04:38 PM
BrentZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Nevertheless, a bad slip for Quinn. That sort of offhand comment can really sour a relationship with the other player.
Or it can make both Aubin and Telly realize what they have to do and make them work harder.

Old
09-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Kewl Leafs

Send a message via MSN to Kewl Leafs Send a message via Yahoo to Kewl Leafs
Always has been

The job has always been Telly's. Aubin was brought in last year to back him up and was terrific but was injured often as well. Telly is by far the better goalie.

JS was awesome at times but no one shut down the penalty shots like Telly did.

Check the stats for overtime wins from last year.

Old
09-14-2005, 07:18 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl Leafs
The job has always been Telly's. Aubin was brought in last year to back him up and was terrific but was injured often as well. Telly is by far the better goalie.

JS was awesome at times but no one shut down the penalty shots like Telly did.

Check the stats for overtime wins from last year.

I saw the game against Rochester and he let in 3 penalty shots if I recall.

Old
09-14-2005, 08:32 AM
BuppY

If I recall he said he enjoyed the shoot outs and was a fan of it. Usually goalies arn't fan of shoot outs.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Christ

Honestly I don't care which of Aubin or Tellqvist is our backup. I have no sentimental attachment to either one. As far as I am concerned, whoever proves himself to be the better goalie in training camp should win the back-up position.

Old
09-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Mike1

I thought Quinn made a good point about how the skaters respond to playing in front of each goalie would probably be a key in determining the outcome of who is the back up. The pre-season games will really be the key if either guy wants to earn the job.

It's important that the back up has good chemistry with the skaters because Quinn has been saying that the back up will get 25 games this year. That was an intangible that Trevor Kidd never had but Corey Schwab, who helped hold the fort down when Cujo got injured did have.

Last edited by Mike1: 09-14-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old
09-14-2005, 10:06 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1
I thought Quinn made a good point about how the skaters respond to playing in front of each goalie would probably be a key in determining the outcome of who is the back up. The pre-season games will really be the key if either guy wants to earn the job.

It's important that the back up has good chemistry with the skaters because Quinn has been saying that the back up will get 25 games this year. That was an intangible that Trevor Kidd never had but Corey Schwab, who helped hold the fort down when Cujo got injured did have.
Interesting perspective; I did not realize that sort of thing factors in. Regarding Kidd- that guy would have let in 4 a game in front of the '76 Canadians. Schwab was a guy who really came out of nowhere. A journeyman his entire career and when Tellqvist stunk it up Quinn had to go looking for the guy who he called Corey Hirsch on a few occasions. Schwab was out of hockey living in Seattle or somewhere. Billy Watters called all the Schwabs in Saskatchewan, got a hold of his mother who contacted Corey. Then he holds the Leafs through a major stretch run and series of injuries. The next couple years he plays behind Brodeur will a sub 2 GAA. Now retired. Funny story.

Old
09-15-2005, 04:19 AM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Interesting perspective; I did not realize that sort of thing factors in. Regarding Kidd- that guy would have let in 4 a game in front of the '76 Canadians. Schwab was a guy who really came out of nowhere. A journeyman his entire career and when Tellqvist stunk it up Quinn had to go looking for the guy who he called Corey Hirsch on a few occasions. Schwab was out of hockey living in Seattle or somewhere. Billy Watters called all the Schwabs in Saskatchewan, got a hold of his mother who contacted Corey. Then he holds the Leafs through a major stretch run and series of injuries. The next couple years he plays behind Brodeur will a sub 2 GAA. Now retired. Funny story.
Corey Schwab has retired??

Old
09-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Homer J. Leafs

Corey joined Lightnings coaching staff if memory serves.

What a great story wasting! Never knew! THX

Closed Thread