HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fantasia Film Festival [2012 edition]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
  #1
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,489
vCash: 500
Fantasia Film Festival [2012 edition]

http://www.fantasiafestival.com/

The site will launch at around 5 PM. Can't wait!

Are you guys hoping for any particular movie?

__________________
...Unemployed Black Astronaut...
PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:46 PM
  #2
mitchmagic
Registered User
 
mitchmagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Iceland
Posts: 1,482
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
CAN'T WAIT.

Mitch

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
  #3
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
I already posted about it in the festivals topic but okay, you're the boss

The lineup has already been announced, lots of films I've been looking forward to: 13 Assassins, Cold Fish, The Wicker Tree, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale, Surviving Life (Theory and Practice)...and I haven't even looked at any descriptions or trailers for the movies I haven't heard of yet. Might have to go above and beyond my usual selection of 10

The website is giving all sorts of errors now so I'll investigate it more later tonight when things are running smoothly. Really can't wait!

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:57 PM
  #4
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 17,895
vCash: 500
Any twisted/sick/disturbing movie this year?

I might go with 2-3 coworkers.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:57 PM
  #5
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Can't wait for Cold Fish. Sono <3.

Looks like there's a lot of intriguing movies... Heaven's Story especially, if only for its length (278 minutes). And I'm so going to see Battle Royale, even it's for the fifth time, should be pretty awesome in a theatre.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
  #6
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
I hope there's some good horror stuff this year. I've already singled one out; El sanatorio. Sounds great. Still scouring the horror list and cross referencing with imdb. If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know. I think my gf is already dragging me to see red state.


Last edited by overlords: 07-07-2011 at 08:30 PM.
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:45 PM
  #7
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
Tickets are going to sell out in a flash for Red State, guaranteed.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:51 PM
  #8
sukimono
Registered User
 
sukimono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: PQ
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Can't wait for Cold Fish. Sono <3.
*cough* asiandvdclub *cough*

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:31 PM
  #9
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukimono View Post
*cough* asiandvdclub *cough*
Yeah, but it's not the same.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:33 PM
  #10
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Tickets are going to sell out in a flash for Red State, guaranteed.
yep, think my gf is getting in line early. We're getting the 10 ticket package thingy.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:21 AM
  #11
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
yep, think my gf is getting in line early. We're getting the 10 ticket package thingy.
That's what I do every year...they keep bumping it up though! Now it's 10 fims for $80...I think when I started going it was 10 for $60. Still a great deal though.

If we find a movie a bunch of us are getting tickets to we should meet up for a beer before or after or something.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:48 AM
  #12
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Can't wait for Cold Fish. Sono <3.

Looks like there's a lot of intriguing movies... Heaven's Story especially, if only for its length (278 minutes). And I'm so going to see Battle Royale, even it's for the fifth time, should be pretty awesome in a theatre.
Wow didn't even realize Heaven's Story was there, I've been wanting to see that since I heard about it a couple of months ago. Unfortunately its only showing is 1pm on a Friday so that's not in the cards for me

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:46 AM
  #13
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
yep, think my gf is getting in line early. We're getting the 10 ticket package thingy.
Even then, it might not matter with all the people buying on Admission. That's what happened to Inglorious Basterds anyway.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:09 AM
  #14
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
i've always been fascinated by the fantasia festival. and when i mean fascinated i mean fascinated by the fact that people are willing to wait hours to see extremely ****** movies. Maybe 10% of their lineups year in year out are not absolute hogwash.

seems like folks are ok with mediocrity pretty much across the board these days...

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:08 AM
  #15
Garo
Registered User
 
Garo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montréal
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
Maybe 10% of their lineups year in year out are not absolute hogwash.
Erm, that's kinda true for anything these days. And I'm feeling generous.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:45 AM
  #16
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i've always been fascinated by the fantasia festival. and when i mean fascinated i mean fascinated by the fact that people are willing to wait hours to see extremely ****** movies. Maybe 10% of their lineups year in year out are not absolute hogwash.

seems like folks are ok with mediocrity pretty much across the board these days...
I can't think of a single movie in 7 years of Fantasia (I think?) that I've waited hours to see...?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:19 AM
  #17
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i've always been fascinated by the fantasia festival. and when i mean fascinated i mean fascinated by the fact that people are willing to wait hours to see extremely ****** movies. Maybe 10% of their lineups year in year out are not absolute hogwash.

seems like folks are ok with mediocrity pretty much across the board these days...
You realize that festivals like this are for people to get away from the repetitive mediocrity that is the mainstream american film industry? There might be a lot of crap, but I'd say you have a better chance of closing your eyes and picking a random movie at fantasia than going to whatever crap Hollywood is spewing out.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
  #18
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
Lists, anyone? Got my tickets to these so far...

1. The Theatre Bizarre
2. The Wicker Tree
3. Beyond the Black Rainbow
4. 13 Assassins
5. Cold Fish
6. El Sanatorio
7. Bellflower
8. Victims
9. Hollow
10. Kidnapped

Definitely going to pick up tickets to Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS at some point too

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:30 PM
  #19
7th Player
Registered User
 
7th Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Lists, anyone? Got my tickets to these so far...

1. The Theatre Bizarre
2. The Wicker Tree
3. Beyond the Black Rainbow
4. 13 Assassins
5. Cold Fish
6. El Sanatorio
7. Bellflower
8. Victims
9. Hollow
10. Kidnapped

Definitely going to pick up tickets to Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS at some point too
Just saw the trailer.
1 word.
WTF

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 03:56 PM
  #20
PyrettaBlaze
Registered User
 
PyrettaBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,489
vCash: 500
So far:

The Woman
Retreat
Urban Explorer
Art/Crime
Stake Land
What Fun We Were Having: 4 Stories About Date ****
Kidnapped
Detention

I might also get tickets to Hollow and Beyond the Black Rainbow. My friends are trying to convince me to go but I'm not sure...

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:15 PM
  #21
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
So far:

The Woman
Retreat
Urban Explorer
Art/Crime
Stake Land
What Fun We Were Having: 4 Stories About Date ****
Kidnapped
Detention

I might also get tickets to Hollow and Beyond the Black Rainbow. My friends are trying to convince me to go but I'm not sure...
Urban Explorer is one I was interested in, looks like it could be pretty damn good. You'll have to post a review.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 05:19 PM
  #22
Bunka Gurndeep
Registered User
 
Bunka Gurndeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
CAN'T WAIT.

Mitch
Looking forward to this festival.

Mitch



Ok, ok, I'll tryyyyyyyyyyy not to bring this HF meme back

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:47 PM
  #23
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
Well my last movie was tonight (excluding Phantom of the Opera on Sunday) and here's how things shook out for me:

Great:
Bellflower
Kidnapped
13 Assassins
Cold Fish
Last Days Here
Beyond the Black Rainbow

Good:
El Sanatorio
Surviving Life (Theory & Practice)
The Theatre Bizarre

Bad:
The Wicker Tree
Hollow

I did really well with my choices this year, saw some excellent movies. Probably the 2nd best lineup I've seen of all the Fantasias I've been to. There were lots of other movies I would have liked to have seen but just couldn't fit in.

Anyone else see anything they really liked/hated/whatever?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 11:40 PM
  #24
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well my last movie was tonight (excluding Phantom of the Opera on Sunday) and here's how things shook out for me:

Great:
Bellflower
Kidnapped
13 Assassins
Cold Fish
Last Days Here
Beyond the Black Rainbow

Good:
El Sanatorio
Surviving Life (Theory & Practice)
The Theatre Bizarre

Bad:
The Wicker Tree
Hollow

I did really well with my choices this year, saw some excellent movies. Probably the 2nd best lineup I've seen of all the Fantasias I've been to. There were lots of other movies I would have liked to have seen but just couldn't fit in.

Anyone else see anything they really liked/hated/whatever?
Hollow was disappointing. Lesser version of blair witch, right down to the ending. I had tickets to sanatorio but didn't end up going, how good was it?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:29 AM
  #25
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,601
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hollow was disappointing. Lesser version of blair witch, right down to the ending. I had tickets to sanatorio but didn't end up going, how good was it?
It wasn't mindblowing or anything but it was fun. The scares were kind of reminiscent of Paranormal Activity (and there weren't a lot of them) but it was surprisingly funny, and just well done all around.

Yeah Hollow was just really...flat. Nothing scary or interesting at all.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.