HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

How good will Bryzgalov be?

Old
07-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
How in gods earth did Bryzgalov get that team into the play-offs. I mean that is one serious acheivment when your top centre in Belanger.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:21 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
How in gods earth did Bryzgalov get that team into the play-offs. I mean that is one serious acheivment when your top centre in Belanger.
Now considering we have 2 top 2 centers, a possible 3rd in Schenn and our 4th in either Talbot or Betts, we have certified centers, right wingers, left wingers, defensemen and a great young back up goalie. Imagine the kind of greatness he can do with us.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:28 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Now considering we have 2 top 2 centers, a possible 3rd in Schenn and our 4th in either Talbot or Betts, we have certified centers, right wingers, left wingers, defensemen and a great young back up goalie. Imagine the kind of greatness he can do with us.
It's all relative, honestly.

While I'm expecting him to be extremely good, I'm not expecting 1.90 GAA / 0.930 SV% / 50 wins.

The lower the GAA and the higher the SV% the harder it is to improve.

He's going to get diminishing returns here particularly because this team and its depth were designed with the idea in mind that they had to be just about as efficient and self-sufficient as possible when it came to winning games.

It's designed to take a lot of pressure off the goalie, which some think would spike the goalie's numbers to astronomical highs.

Actually all it does is take away those annoying goals that the defense and team defense can prevent.

It still can't stop goals that our defenders can't defend and Bryzgalov can't stand on his head to stop.

There will be a diminishing returns aspect to Bryzgalov's numbers this season, but I still expect some quality production.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
It's all relative, honestly.

While I'm expecting him to be extremely good, I'm not expecting 1.90 GAA / 0.930 SV% / 50 wins.

The lower the GAA and the higher the SV% the harder it is to improve.

He's going to get diminishing returns here particularly because this team and its depth were designed with the idea in mind that they had to be just about as efficient and self-sufficient as possible when it came to winning games.

It's designed to take a lot of pressure off the goalie, which some think would spike the goalie's numbers to astronomical highs.

Actually all it does is take away those annoying goals that the defense and team defense can prevent.

It still can't stop goals that our defenders can't defend and Bryzgalov can't stand on his head to stop.

There will be a diminishing returns aspect to Bryzgalov's numbers this season, but I still expect some quality production.
I actually expect Bryz numbers to fall quite a bit. This will probably be viewed as a drop in performance but it wont. The flyers have always been a team with significantly good players, that couldn't play together. It was a case of it either all went well, or it was mess. Thats why we have the stupid losing streaks, and long winning streaks.

Now that the team has changed significantly, i'm hoping these guys will develop some serious chemistry with eachother. If thats the case then bryz's numbers are going to get even higher, and he will be in with a chance of vezina nominations. However if the team reverts back to the hit and hope of the last 5-6 years, then his numbers will drop. It wont be his fault, it's just the way the team is built. What i hope he can do though, is steal a few games if the team does decide to play this way.

Something that we have never had, and something that the rangers have benefitted from since the king got there.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The Yotes played well last year. It's not like Bryzgalov won games in spite of them. Granted they weren't a high talent team, but the whole unit played hard and together. I thought Dave Tippet did a really nice job.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 09:11 AM
PhillyCurt12

^^^ just look at what the penguins did the second half of the season. that roster, once malkin and crosby were removed due to injury, looked like absolute garbage on paper other than D and the flower, yet they piled up the W's.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
CdnFlyersFan

Quote:
Ray Whitney - Eric Belanger - Shane Doan
Lauri Korpikoski - Martin Hanzal - Radim Vrbata
Taylor Pyatt - Vernon Fiddler - Lee Stempniak
Mikkel Boedker - Kyle Turris - Paul Bissonnette

Keith Yandle - David Schlemko
Ed Jovanovski - Adrian Aucoin
Rostislav Klesla - Michal Rozsival

That is the mighty Coyote playoff roster 2011.

This is probably what our 2011-12 Season Roster looks like:

James vanRiemsdyk - Claude Giroux - Jaromir Jagr
Scott Hartnell - Daniel Briere - Jakub Voracek
Wayne Simmonds - Brayden Schenn - Andreas Nodl
Blair Betts - Maxime Talbot - Jody Shelley

Chris Pronger - Matt Carle
Kimmo Timonen - Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros - Erik Gustafsson

(And we have 5.00m in cap space minus whatever we pay for Simmonds.)
Perspective is refreshing!!!!

CdnFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:38 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ray Whitney - Eric Belanger - Shane Doan
Lauri Korpikoski - Martin Hanzal - Radim Vrbata
Taylor Pyatt - Vernon Fiddler - Lee Stempniak
Mikkel Boedker - Kyle Turris - Paul Bissonnette

Keith Yandle - David Schlemko
Ed Jovanovski - Adrian Aucoin
Rostislav Klesla - Michal Rozsival

That is the mighty Coyote playoff roster 2011.

This is probably what our 2011-12 Season Roster looks like:

James vanRiemsdyk - Claude Giroux - Jaromir Jagr
Scott Hartnell - Daniel Briere - Jakub Voracek
Wayne Simmonds - Brayden Schenn - Andreas Nodl
Blair Betts - Maxime Talbot - Jody Shelley

Chris Pronger - Matt Carle
Kimmo Timonen - Braydon Coburn
Andrej Meszaros - Erik Gustafsson

(And we have 5.00m in cap space minus whatever we pay for Simmonds.)
Note: the $5 mil is before Talbot's contract gets sorted out, if I'm reading capgeek correctly. So we are looking at $3.2 mil with Simmonds to sign for a 22-man roster.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 11:41 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Note: the $5 mil is before Talbot's contract gets sorted out, if I'm reading capgeek correctly. So we are looking at $3.2 mil with Simmonds to sign for a 22-man roster.
This whole Talbot thing is confusing everything.

It's officially done now though right?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:37 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I feel that this is not going to last much longer. Nore it probably should for all the parties involved. I am a huge Bob's fan and I have wanted him as Flyers franchise goalie since he started last season. So let me explain my point of view:

For Bob- he probably does not want to reide the pine the length of his contract and see very limitted action if he can compete for #1 spot somewhere else.

For Flyers- if Bryz plays 65 games/ year, do they really need a fairly expensive back-up goalie? Do they want to gromm him for the length of his contract, just to have him take his skills elsewhere at the end of his contract? And lastly, if Flyers can trade him for good value, they probably will.

Having said all of that from the rational side of my brain, if that ever happens, my emotional side will be very upset.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
I feel that this is not going to last much longer. Nore it probably should for all the parties involved. I am a huge Bob's fan and I have wanted him as Flyers franchise goalie since he started last season. So let me explain my point of view:

For Bob- he probably does not want to reide the pine the length of his contract and see very limitted action if he can compete for #1 spot somewhere else.

For Flyers- if Bryz plays 65 games/ year, do they really need a fairly expensive back-up goalie? Do they want to gromm him for the length of his contract, just to have him take his skills elsewhere at the end of his contract? And lastly, if Flyers can trade him for good value, they probably will.

Having said all of that from the rational side of my brain, if that ever happens, my emotional side will be very upset.
This is my fear with our coach. I have a bad feeling Bryz is going to be worn down by the playoffs because of how Lavy is with goalies.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:15 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
This is my fear with our coach. I have a bad feeling Bryz is going to be worn down by the playoffs because of how Lavy is with goalies.
He's played 65 or more games the past 3 years, he's used to it. I certainly wouldn't mind if it was more like 60 games, but I'm just saying I'm not overly worried about his workload.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Gert B Frobe

vezina

Gert B Frobe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

When it is all said and done, he will be included in the same group as Bernie,Pelle,Ron and Doug. The order where he falls into that group remains to be seen.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
PuckBoy33

the OR-GAN-EYE-ZAY-SHUN

Given the Flyers' history with (and reluctance toward) Russian players, I don't think it will work out at all.

Last edited by PuckBoy33: 07-08-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: misplaced apostrophe
PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
He's played 65 or more games the past 3 years, he's used to it. I certainly wouldn't mind if it was more like 60 games, but I'm just saying I'm not overly worried about his workload.
I think his lack on consistency in the playoffs may have something to do with his workload during the year.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

If Pronger stays healthy, Bryzgalov will be fantastic and end up a Vezina finalist. If Pronger misses significant time and Bryzgalov needs to be counted on more than Philly expects, he will still be a top 6-8 goalie in the league.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Prediction: The last goal ever scored against Ilya Bryzgalov already happened.

Thoughts?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Prediction: The last goal ever scored against Ilya Bryzgalov already happened.

Thoughts?
Daring.

I like it.

07-08-2011, 08:24 PM
PlantersOye

Very good early season... get's injured mid season... amazing mid-playoff performance.

PlantersOye is offline   Reply With Quote