HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sources say Flyers shopping goalie Bobrovsky

Old
07-08-2011, 09:00 AM
ONTHEFLYGUY

vCash: 500
Sources say Flyers shopping goalie Bobrovsky

Philly.c says there looking to move him! What do u guys think and what do u think They should b looking for in return? Please discuss

http://www.printthis.clickability.co...ll%3Dy%26c%3Dy

Quote:
According to sources, the Flyers began to shop Bobrovsky - the man they called "the goaltender of the future" as recently as May - to all suitors once they struck a 9-year deal with Ilya Bryzgalov on June 23.

General manager Paul Holmgren vehemently denied it when asked whether Bobrovsky had been involved in trade talks.

The Flyers, though, couldn't get the exact asking price they hoped for when shopping Bobrovsky's services on the open market. Varlamov, a fellow Russian only 5 months older than Bobrovsky, netted Washington a first- and second-round pick in a July 1 trade.

It's plain to see that Bobrovsky - without the first-round pedigree and nearly 3 full years' worth of experience in North America - would not garner as much as Varlamov on the market. The Flyers would have pulled the trigger at that price.

Then again, it isn't every day that 22-year-old goaltenders are able to make a starting impact in the NHL. Bobrovsky played 54 regular-season games for the Flyers last season as a rookie. Varlamov has only 59 regular-season games under his belt over parts of three seasons.

While rosters have begun to fill out since free agency commenced on July 1, just because Bobrovsky is here now does not mean he will remain the Flyers' backup come Opening Night on Oct. 6.

Why?

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-08-2011 at 07:22 PM.
ONTHEFLYGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:05 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTHEFLYGUY View Post
Philly.c says there looking to move him! What do u guys think and what do u think They should b looking for in return? Please discuss
My post in the other thread:

I feel that this is not going to last much longer (response to the other poster being thrilled with having a young back up goalie). Nore it probably should for all the parties involved. I am a huge Bob's fan and I have wanted him as Flyers franchise goalie since he started last season. So let me explain my point of view:

For Bob- he probably does not want to reide the pine the length of his contract and see very limitted action if he can compete for #1 spot somewhere else.

For Flyers- if Bryz plays 65 games/ year, do they really need a fairly expensive back-up goalie? Do they want to gromm him for the length of his contract, just to have him take his skills elsewhere at the end of his contract? And lastly, if Flyers can trade him for good value, they probably will.

Having said all of that from the rational side of my brain, if that ever happens, my emotional side will be very upset.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Philly.c says there poking to move him! What do u guys think and what do u think They should b looking for in return? Please discuss
i for one was crushed when they signed Bryz for such a long term. and Bryz is one of my favorite three G in the league to watch.

it just seemed odd timing since they had Bob who looked great at points who was young and up and coming.

but i have to admire PHI doing what they can to get a cup sooner and to lock up their net which has always been a source of either failure or major fan complaint.

i'd say they should move Bob if they can get a good return, especially since there is always the threat of the KHL for russian kids who get tired of playing 2nd fiddle (i.e. varlamov's threat to leave for KHL)

i'd like to see Bob a flyer for the long term and be their goalie of the future, but not sure how that can happen.

if they do move him i hope he goes somewhere he can start and that PHI gets apiece to help them win a cup this season.

PHI used to be my most hated team, and yet i really liked richards, then came to like their kids JVR and Giroux and then they hired my fav coach in Lavs, got Bob and i even enjoyed watching Pronger play for a change. not sure what happened to make me a PHI supporter but as long as they don't face COL in the finals, i am pulling for them to win it all!

i say hold Bob until closer to the deadline when a team might need a G and when the holes the team needs to fill are more clear. adding something now, unless a #1 pick, just takes away from possible deadline trade value to offer teams. imho

i am most excited to see how PHI and COL do this season and can't wait to see how Lavs puts this team together on the ice!!!

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:10 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
IT'S STAMKOS!!!!!

IT HAS TO BE STAMKOS!!!!!!

IT'S STAMKOS!!!! RIGHT GUYS?!?!?

WE'RE GETTING STAMKOS!!!!!!

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Snotbubbles

I say keep Bob. His salary is high this year because of the CBA, but it will drop back down when we don't have to count the bonuses and he'll still be a RFA when the contract is up. They should play him 20 games this year and continue to develop him. What's the point of trading him and then using Leighton, you only save 250k against the cap, unless the return is Varlamovian, keep him.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:15 AM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
IT'S STAMKOS!!!!!

IT HAS TO BE STAMKOS!!!!!!

IT'S STAMKOS!!!! RIGHT GUYS?!?!?

WE'RE GETTING STAMKOS!!!!!!
nope... they are counting on Danny and Claude........ until the trade deadline

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Sadly i think this is the case.

We made our bed with Bryz, weather we like it or not. And now we are gonna have to trade one of the most talented young goaltenders in the league.

I bet we get horrible value for him to a la versteeg trade.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Jester

Vokoun was always the better option with Bob here.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:19 AM
IrishSniper87

Why trade Bob?

We dont even need the capspace, crap we have like $2mill right now anyway.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Why trade Bob?

We dont even need the capspace, crap we have like $2mill right now anyway.
Prolly has better value now than he will have in a year or two.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:24 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Goalie value sucks, and if Bryzgalov got hurt, I don't trust anyone other then Bob.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I bet we get horrible value for him to a la versteeg trade.
What did you think we'd get for Versteeg? 2nd and a 3rd is pretty solid to me. As for Bob...I doubt we'd get much value. Not many teams left looking for a goalie if there's any at all.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:29 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
he does?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
infidelappel*

The writing got put on the wall for Bob when he was pulled in the Buffalo series. Not just removed from the starter's role, but essentially put in a bubble off of the team completely.

I don't think Holmgren likes him. He's as good as gone with the deal that Bryzgalov signed.

I'm still unhappy about it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:32 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
What did you think we'd get for Versteeg? 2nd and a 3rd is pretty solid to me. As for Bob...I doubt we'd get much value. Not many teams left looking for a goalie if there's any at all.
To be honest, Versteeg at $3 on our 3rd line is looking way better to me then Talbot at $1.8.

Unless Holmgrem has another move up his sleeve.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:33 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
he does?
He's not even 23 years old and has played 54 games with a .915 SV%. You expect him to have better value as a 25 year old back-up with 40 more games under his belt?

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I really don't want to see him moved. He's such a great goalie that just needed a bit of time. Hell the guy is going to be awesome in this league, i can see it now. The flyers will regret the day they trade this guy. He has all the tools to be a top 5 goaltender.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I really don't want to see him moved. He's such a great goalie that just needed a bit of time. Hell the guy is going to be awesome in this league, i can see it now. The flyers will regret the day they trade this guy. He has all the tools to be a top 5 goaltender.
But he isn't going to be a top 5 goalie here.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:56 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

The rumor I heard (yes its me again so I have no link lol and I think it was a rumor and not just speculation) was Bob and a pick to Phoenix for Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He seems like a good young dman and we are thinking about youth, it seems, so I wouldn't mind doing this deal. Yeah we lose Bob, who is awesome and I really like him, but I'm sure he doesn't want to sit on the bench for 60 games and I'm sure he would understand that we trade him to Phoenix where he can play more games.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
The rumor I heard (yes its me again so I have no link lol and I think it was a rumor and not just speculation) was Bob and a pick to Phoenix for Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He seems like a good young dman and we are thinking about youth, it seems, so I wouldn't mind doing this deal. Yeah we lose Bob, who is awesome and I really like him, but I'm sure he doesn't want to sit on the bench for 60 games and I'm sure he would understand that we trade him to Phoenix where he can play more games.
I wouldn't mind picking up OEL.

At this point, Bob is more or less gone...so if we can get a promising young dman for him to set us up for later, I'd be all for it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I'm not sure how much value he has now. Does anyone need a goalie really? It would have been nice to move him to the Avs before they got Varlamov.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:05 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I really doubt Phx gives up OEL.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I wouldn't mind picking up OEL.

At this point, Bob is more or less gone...so if we can get a promising young dman for him to set us up for later, I'd be all for it.
Yeah and according to Eklund we were talking to Phoenix. He's not too good of a source but he at least gets some things right with us. I know I read about OEL at a different place though so I'm hoping it's true. He looks really promising

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

If he really did bail out last playoffs, then ship him out. If we really are doing a "culture" change, then ball shrinkage at high pressure moments is something you don't want in the locker room.

If he didn't and it was more Lavy's doing, then we might have a bigger problem...

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I'm not sure how much value he has now. Does anyone need a goalie really? It would have been nice to move him to the Avs before they got Varlamov.
His value isn't going to go up as he loses years off his ELC and sits on the bench.