HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sources say Flyers shopping goalie Bobrovsky

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2011, 11:08 AM
  #26
o Hamhuis 2 x
Registered User
 
o Hamhuis 2 x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading PA
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I really doubt Phx gives up OEL.
Maybe Gormley then if this rumor is wrong? They have some good defense prospects so I'm not really sure. Both of them are good players so if we do trade Bob, I hope it's for them or another good young dman, because who knows how long Kimmo and Prongs will stay since they're getting older

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:09 AM
  #27
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
His value isn't going to go up as he loses years off his ELC and sits on the bench.
It depends on if there are teams looking for a goalie. Playing 20-30 more games next year and putting up a .915 SV% isn't going to hurt his value. Are there any teams left looking for a goalie right now? Phoenix? It has more to do with the demand for the position than on him being a backup.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
  #28
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
It depends on if there are teams looking for a goalie. Playing 20-30 more games next year and putting up a .915 SV% isn't going to hurt his value. Are there any teams left looking for a goalie right now? Phoenix? It has more to do with the demand for the position than on him being a backup.
Tampa could use one since Roloson, in all likelihood, should retire within the next two years. Got no idea what they would offer us though. Hopefully an Avs deal for a 1st and a 2nd next year

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
  #29
facts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
The writing got put on the wall for Bob when he was pulled in the Buffalo series. Not just removed from the starter's role, but essentially put in a bubble off of the team completely.

I don't think Holmgren likes him. He's as good as gone with the deal that Bryzgalov signed.

I'm still unhappy about it.
comments like this make me go nuts! WTF does Holmgren have to do with it, Lavi is the one who pulled him and put him in the press box! Lavi has good coaching cred but it appears he doesnt have many people skills, he plays little games with guys and indirectly calls them out, see Hartnell, Carcillo, Leino, Zherdev, the POWERPLAY, and apparently Richards as well. And by no means am I making Holmer out to be an angle but one would have to admit, he is clearly the middle man on this team, he gets orders from Snider and relays whining from Lavi. Changing the culture on this team is going young, not questioning the leadership or the coaching, just towing the line. Meltzers article is probably the best angle for looking at this team, he said the philosophy is try to create a team identity not a star player identity because at the end of the day we did have either. This team with Richards and Carter was not good enough to beat Pitts or Wash, so move on! I myself am starting to come to terms with it and change is hard I think we will struggle for a few years but Bob is not going to be a superstar, so I would move him and get something and fill his roll with an older vet, say Conklin

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:23 AM
  #30
o Hamhuis 2 x
Registered User
 
o Hamhuis 2 x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading PA
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
It depends on if there are teams looking for a goalie. Playing 20-30 more games next year and putting up a .915 SV% isn't going to hurt his value. Are there any teams left looking for a goalie right now? Phoenix? It has more to do with the demand for the position than on him being a backup.
The only deals I could see (if we want a young dman) are to the Flames for John Ramage or another one of their prospects because Kipper isn't too young, to the Isles for Calvin de Haan which I don't see happening because they are in our division, to Phoenix for OEL or Gormley which is the best possibility in my opinion, or Tampa for a prospect/picks (no high end defensive prospects). There's always a possibility of a bigger deal but I don't really think it could happen for you know who.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:26 AM
  #31
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
It depends on if there are teams looking for a goalie. Playing 20-30 more games next year and putting up a .915 SV% isn't going to hurt his value. Are there any teams left looking for a goalie right now? Phoenix? It has more to do with the demand for the position than on him being a backup.
You're ignoring the fact that he's signed for two years right now (you know what you're paying him). In a year, you get 1 year. In another year, he's a RFA.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:28 AM
  #32
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
If he really did bail out last playoffs, then ship him out. If we really are doing a "culture" change, then ball shrinkage at high pressure moments is something you don't want in the locker room.

If he didn't and it was more Lavy's doing, then we might have a bigger problem...
I still believe - very strongly - that it was all Holmgren and Lavi. Homer had been looking for a reason to get Leighton in all year and validate the stupid signing, and I truly believe he was the guy behind the scenes pulling for MFL.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:36 AM
  #33
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're ignoring the fact that he's signed for two years right now (you know what you're paying him). In a year, you get 1 year. In another year, he's a RFA.
Isn't that more control than Colorado had for Varlamov--he was "just" a RFA, right?

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:38 AM
  #34
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Isn't that more control than Colorado had for Varlamov--he was "just" a RFA, right?
Yeah, well, you won't find anyone outside of the Colorado front office that doesn't think that deal was completely lopsided.

RFA is certainly better than UFA... but ELC is better than RFA.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:46 AM
  #35
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
The rumor I heard (yes its me again so I have no link lol and I think it was a rumor and not just speculation) was Bob and a pick to Phoenix for Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He seems like a good young dman and we are thinking about youth, it seems, so I wouldn't mind doing this deal. Yeah we lose Bob, who is awesome and I really like him, but I'm sure he doesn't want to sit on the bench for 60 games and I'm sure he would understand that we trade him to Phoenix where he can play more games.
If we could get OEL for Bobrovsky, I'd be all over that. No way Phoenix does that trade however. Gormley is probably not going anywhere either unless we add something else.

Phoenix may lack a true starting goalie, but they have Smith, Labarbera and McElhinney under contract however. I assume we would have to take back one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
If he really did bail out last playoffs, then ship him out. If we really are doing a "culture" change, then ball shrinkage at high pressure moments is something you don't want in the locker room.

If he didn't and it was more Lavy's doing, then we might have a bigger problem...
I'm with you here. That was such a bizarre situation, and if Bobrovsky fell apart completely, then it's probably better to seek a trade. If not, well then Laviolette really handled that in a strange way.

Other teams that may be looking for a goalie I think would include Chicago (I wouldn't count on Salak being good enough to backup Crawford), Detroit (unless they have someone I can't remember in their system they only have Howard who is capable of playing in the NHL) and Columbus.

I hope we don't do a trade unless we get a really good return however. I see no point in doing anything just for the sake of dealing him (unless the rest of the team completely lost faith in him in those Buffalo games). And I don't want to see Leighton as our backup.


Last edited by mirimon: 07-08-2011 at 12:25 PM.
mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:55 AM
  #36
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're ignoring the fact that he's signed for two years right now (you know what you're paying him). In a year, you get 1 year. In another year, he's a RFA.
You can't ignore supply and demand. If there's a greater demand for goalies in an upcoming year, you can sign Bob to a short extension if you think shipping him out with a longer contract will get you a better return. His agent would know this would be to increase his trade value. In the end he's an RFA anyway, so its not like the team getting him will be left with nothing.

If someone gives you a good deal this year you take it obviously, but if someone is offering you a mid-late 3rd round pick then why not hold onto him? Worst case scenario you let him go to an offer sheet in a couple years.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
  #37
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
You can't ignore supply and demand. If there's a greater demand for goalies in an upcoming year, you can sign Bob to a short extension if you think shipping him out with a longer contract will get you a better return. His agent would know this would be to increase his trade value. In the end he's an RFA anyway, so its not like the team getting him will be left with nothing.

If someone gives you a good deal this year you take it obviously, but if someone is offering you a mid-late 3rd round pick then why not hold onto him? Worst case scenario you let him go to an offer sheet in a couple years.
Oh, I have no problem holding onto him right now... but I do think there's a good chance this is the highest his trade value is going to be. Good chance he doesn't replicate the year he had last year over the next two years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
  #38
o Hamhuis 2 x
Registered User
 
o Hamhuis 2 x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading PA
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
If we could get OEL for Bobrovsky, I'd be all over that. No way Phoenix does that trade however. Gormley is probably not going anywhere either unless we add something else.

Phoenix may lack a true starting goalie, but they have Smith, Labarbera and McElhinney under contract however. I assume we would have to take back one of those.



I'm with you here. That was such a bizarre situation, and if Bobrovsky fell apart completely, then it's probably better to seek a trade. If not, well then Laviolette really handled that in a strange way.

Other teams that may be looking for a goalie I think would include Chicago (I wouldn't count on Salak being good enough to backup Crawford), Detroit (unless they have someone I can't remember in their system they only have Howard who is capable of playing in the NHL) and Columbus.

I hope we don't do a trade unless we get a really good return however. I see no point in doing anything just for the sake of dealing him (unless he completely lost the faith of the rest of the team against Buffalo). And I don't want to see Leighton as our backup.
I would probably do Carle, Bob, and a pick for McElhinney and OEL. Maybe we could even get a bad/decent prospect out of it too I would probably do that trade and add one or two guys who aren't ever gonna make the NHL team so we are below the contract limit and then we can sign Kessel

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
  #39
John Wayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
John Wayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
I dont see how we didnt get fair value for Steeg. We traded a late first and late 3rd for him and got back an early 3rd and mid 2nd. Fair value for a floater who has possibly the worst hockey sense I have ever witnessed. Id take Talbot over him anyday, esp at a lower cap hit, Talbot shows up game in and game out.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:17 PM
  #40
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
I think it depends on what really happened during last seasons postseason. If he did "check out" or whatever you wanna call it, than I would want him out myself.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:26 PM
  #41
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Just curious... Why is everyone so certain Bob has no future here? If Bob turns into a stud, Bryzgalov can be moved... And if he cant, he's just one short trip to the AHL away from taking his cap hit back to Russia and the KHL...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:29 PM
  #42
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Just curious... Why is everyone so certain Bob has no future here? If Bob turns into a stud, Bryzgalov can be moved... And if he cant, he's just one short trip to the AHL away from taking his cap hit back to Russia and the KHL...
KHL and NHL have an agreement, Bryz can't just pick up and head home if he wants. I will be relatively shocked if Bob steals the job from Bryz in the next couple of years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:33 PM
  #43
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Prolly has better value now than he will have in a year or two.
WOW i disagree with that VEHEMENTLY.

IMO the only knock on BOB is his play under pressure situations.

Most likely he will see no pressure situations (a la playoffs on his shoulders or we go with boosh...thats a TON of pressure) b/c bryz will be our guy.

I think BOB will put up consistent great numbers as a 23 yr old and a 24 yr old under the mentoring of bryz and jeff reese (and the lack of pressure).

then the league will over-value him and we can either trade him, or roll the dice ourselves and see if he has matured enough (mentally) to handle those pressure situations.


personally i dont care which we do...but there is NO reason to trade him now unless it involves bigger pieces (lets face it...future of the franchise or not, BOBs isnt exactly our biggest piece ATM and his future depends on whether or not we want to make a BIG trade)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:36 PM
  #44
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
WOW i disagree with that VEHEMENTLY.

IMO the only knock on BOB is his play under pressure situations.

Most likely he will see no pressure situations (a la playoffs on his shoulders or we go with boosh...thats a TON of pressure) b/c bryz will be our guy.

I think BOB will put up consistent great numbers as a 23 yr old and a 24 yr old under the mentoring of bryz and jeff reese (and the lack of pressure).

then the league will over-value him and we can either trade him, or roll the dice ourselves and see if he has matured enough (mentally) to handle those pressure situations.


personally i dont care which we do...but there is NO reason to trade him now unless it involves bigger pieces (lets face it...future of the franchise or not, BOBs isnt exactly our biggest piece ATM and his future depends on whether or not we want to make a BIG trade)
You are making a big assumption there. Bob put up very good numbers this past year, and he's going to see far more limited playing time in the future. I very much doubt Bryz is going to be spending his time worrying about cultivating his competition (he's not some 38 y/o guy at the end of his career).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
  #45
SgtJoseph
Registered User
 
SgtJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northwest Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
I would hate to see BOB moved, but in his interest i hope he gets a starting role some where.I think many of us will look forward each evening to watch " other teams" high lights to see how many of our recent Flyers are doing like Ritchie, Carter, Carcillo,Versteeg, Boosh,Leino, BOB ? Etc...

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
  #46
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
KHL and NHL have an agreement, Bryz can't just pick up and head home if he wants. I will be relatively shocked if Bob steals the job from Bryz in the next couple of years.
I could see him stealing it..... might take awhile but it could happen.

I think it's in the best interest of the team to have Bryz and Bob together. They will connect I'm sure. I am expecting HUGE things this year.

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:53 PM
  #47
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
I dont see how we didnt get fair value for Steeg. We traded a late first and late 3rd for him and got back an early 3rd and mid 2nd. Fair value for a floater who has possibly the worst hockey sense I have ever witnessed. Id take Talbot over him anyday, esp at a lower cap hit, Talbot shows up game in and game out.
wonder what happens if hes 100 percent healthy. Not that double sports hernia is painfull or anything. oh wait, injuries are no excuse for lackluster play in Philadelphia. nevermind.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
  #48
Eberle
4-93-14
 
Eberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Eberle
It seems Philly fans are pretty all over the map in terms of whether Bob should be traded or not.

I could see the Oilers having some interest in him. We even have a great veteran Russian goaltender to trade you!

Although, from the sounds of this thread, it appears Bob is a bit of a headcase like Bobby Lou. No thanks, if that IS the case. A goaltender who can't handle pressure is almost useless.

Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:01 PM
  #49
John Wayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
John Wayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
wonder what happens if hes 100 percent healthy. Not that double sports hernia is painfull or anything. oh wait, injuries are no excuse for lackluster play in Philadelphia. nevermind.
A sports hernia does not effect decision making sir. Why dont you try and watch the player and not rely on stats. Did you watch him in Toronto? I did, and he didn't have a hernia there. Dude was a 5th round pick for a reason. No interest in paying a 3rd liner 3 mil per.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
  #50
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepForTheSin View Post
It seems Philly fans are pretty all over the map in terms of whether Bob should be traded or not.

I could see the Oilers having some interest in him. We even have a great veteran Russian goaltender to trade you!
For the right return, I would deal him now and sign a cheaper vet to be the backup. At the same time, there's no immediate reason to deal him now that our salary cap problems have been solved so completely.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.