HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Simmonds signs 2-year deal; $1.75M AAV

Old
07-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
If the league does anything it'll be because of this, not because he's running a week long camp.
It's the wealth of evidence, attached to observing certain formalities. This type of thing goes on all the time. I will still be angered if the league didn't grant him a LTIR exception given some of their previous rulings, but having Lappy working as a developmental coach in a named capacity while you're trying to do that is pissing all over the rule.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's the wealth of evidence, attached to observing certain formalities. This type of thing goes on all the time. I will still be angered if the league didn't grant him a LTIR exception given some of their previous rulings, but having Lappy working as a developmental coach in a named capacity while you're trying to do that is pissing all over the rule.
I get where you're coming from, but I don't see it like that. Like someone else said the recovery process from a head injury is to rest, and not overexert yourself. Its not as if he had a knee injury and isn't rehabbing.

Lappy running a camp for 5 days doesn't equate to pissing over the rule if he shows up for camp and works out with the team like he did last year.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I get where you're coming from, but I don't see it like that. Like someone else said the recovery process from a head injury is to rest, and not overexert yourself. Its not as if he had a knee injury and isn't rehabbing.

Lappy running a camp for 5 days doesn't equate to pissing over the rule if he shows up for camp and works out with the team like he did last year.
That's just it, the article (and unfortunately I forget which one) made it sound as if he's assumed this as a permanent role. On top of that, the Flyers have assigned his number to someone else.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
That's just it, the article (and unfortunately I forget which one) made it sound as if he's assumed this as a permanent role. On top of that, the Flyers have assigned his number to someone else.
Yea that's not smart. Hopefully they already know the league won't be doing anything about it, otherwise they're taking an unnecessary risk.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:13 AM
apadilla

overpaid

for a to be 4th year player coming off an off year with 14 goals and averaged about 10 minutes of ice time a game, he is lucky the kings traded him, he hit paydirt, i figure he is getting half a mil extra over 2 years because of the trade,

apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:22 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lol what? we have underpaid if anything. The guy is a great player

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:35 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadilla View Post
for a to be 4th year player coming off an off year with 14 goals and averaged about 10 minutes of ice time a game, he is lucky the kings traded him, he hit paydirt, i figure he is getting half a mil extra over 2 years because of the trade,
30 pt player that is 22 and averages over 13 minutes a game, is pretty good. He should bring a lot to the table, and should only improve. I think it's fair value.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:48 AM
MsWoof

He was on TSN Radio yesterday and was asked if he'd play for the Leafs since he's a Torontonian and he immediately said no, not until he's older because of the media pressure. He said that was because of the way Luke Schenn was treated by the media in his second year and he didn't want to deal with that. It's going to be the topic of Bryan Hayes' show starting at 10 today.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:18 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He was on TSN Radio yesterday and was asked if he'd play for the Leafs since he's a Torontonian and he immediately said no, not until he's older because of the media pressure. He said that was because of the way Luke Schenn was treated by the media in his second year and he didn't want to deal with that. It's going to be the topic of Bryan Hayes' show starting at 10 today.
Toronto is trying to run players out of town who don't even play for them yet.

Hilarious.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:30 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Toronto is trying to run players out of town who don't even play for them yet.

Hilarious.
That wasn't the point. He asked him as a Toronto guy if he'd play for the Leafs so it was a pretty innocent question. Hayes didn't expect that answer, just like most wouldn't. Players generally spin it positively so for him to specifically say he wouldn't play in TO because of the media, then to further say in LA there was virtually no media pressure says a lot. It's a by-product of putting teams in areas where people don't really care about them. A lot would prefer the anonymity of LA, TB, PHX, NSH etc instead of TO, MTL, PHI, VAN etc.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:21 PM
apadilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
30 pt player that is 22 and averages over 13 minutes a game, is pretty good. He should bring a lot to the table, and should only improve. I think it's fair value.
you are right, he should bring a lot to the table, but after watching him last year, i don't think he is worth going from 650K to 1.75K, but if he can improve (greatly) then i would stand corrected,

Old
07-12-2011, 06:23 PM
apadilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lol what? we have underpaid if anything. The guy is a great player
i saw him often last season, he fought less and scored less than the previous season, but, repeat but, if he can regain his game, he could be worth 1.75m a year, as a 4th year player,

Old
07-12-2011, 06:38 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
If you've actively taken on new responsibilities, it doesnt look like you have any intention of coming back. Everyone knows his career is over. He's publicly spoken about how he's been told not to play again by his doctors.

This, however, "looks" like retirement looks.
He doesn't have to attempt a comeback for the League to grant LTIR status. He has to be medically cleared to attempt a comeback, which to my knowledge he is not. The League also can't force a player to retire, which would mean Lappariere would forfit his last year of his contract and the salary that comes with it

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:40 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadilla View Post
you are right, he should bring a lot to the table, but after watching him last year, i don't think he is worth going from 650K to 1.75K, but if he can improve (greatly) then i would stand corrected,
You shouldn't read too much into the raise, he was coming off of his ELC. I mean, look at what Powe got (a bit over 1 mill, and no one is complaining about his contract) for 3 straight years of minuscule numbers. Simmonds has basically more than doubled the points, over the same 3 years, while playing the same energy game as Powe, AND dropping the mitts. I think it's a very fair number.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote