HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostitsyn signs 1 yr. 2.5 M deal

Old
07-08-2011, 12:19 PM
kuggy

vCash: 500
*The Preds have come to terms with Sergei Kostitsyn on a two-year deal, therefore avoiding arbitration..

Eklund said that, so is it one or 2? but btw nice news!

kuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He'll still be an RFA next year. I love it.

Poile is a miracle worker. Now fire whoever got us into this mess in the first place.
The assumption in your statement is that there was actually a mess to begin with.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The assumption in your statement is that there was actually a mess to begin with.
Had to be, there's no way the NHLPA can even pull this stunt if you have all your ducks in a row.

Don't let the positive outcome gloss over the fact that someone flubbed up. We just got lucky.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:29 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
The NHLPA wouldn't have filed a grievance if they didn't have a legit case, which means something went wrong somewhere.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Legionnaire11

Not bad honestly. $2.5 is okay for one year to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. Could have been a lot worse, like 2-3 years at $3M+ only to watch him score 12 goals a season. In this contract he still has incentive to perform for an even bigger payday, and if he's still an RFA next summer then his QO would by $2.75 which should definitely be an acceptable number to both sides barring something like a 30 goal season.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I thought he was going to get Fleischmann $, this is a great result in my book

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
The NHLPA wouldn't have filed a grievance if they didn't have a legit case, which means something went wrong somewhere.
Nice jump to conclusions. If it were cut and dry, there would have been no need for an arbitrator to look into IF there was an issue with the filing of the Preds' qualifying offers. The team says they did things properly, the league says things were done properly, but Fehr says there were issues and that must be true? Grievance filed does not equal proof of wrongdoing.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:46 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Nice jump to conclusions. If it were cut and dry, there would have been no need for an arbitrator to look into IF there was an issue with the filing of the Preds' qualifying offers. The team says they did things properly, the league says things were done properly, but Fehr says there were issues and that must be true? Grievance filed does not equal proof of wrongdoing.
History shows, in the case of the Blackhawks and Devils, that typically it's going to land in the NHLPA's favor. Wetcoaster, who I know and have a lot of respect for, going back to legalese intepretation during the lockout and his experience with sports contract management, felt that unless the arbiter went off the path completely, that this was likely going to be a win for the NHLPA.

Do we know for sure? No...but I'm very glad we don't have to find out, because it seems the odds were against us.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Maybe I'm missing something but if I had a solid chance to be Unrestricted instead of Restricted, I would have held off on signing. At least 5 have already signed. That indicates to me that maybe the Preds had their ducks in a row and the league needed to create some news heading into free agency. Not that I am wearing my tinfoil hat or anything...

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
You're kidding, right? A union - any union - will always look for an opportunity to drive a hole in an agreement or find monetary advantage for their member. All they needed was a grey area, not a "legit case". It's not evil or anything, that's why they exist - to advocate for their members.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
History shows, in the case of the Blackhawks and Devils, that typically it's going to land in the NHLPA's favor. Wetcoaster, who I know and have a lot of respect for, going back to legalese intepretation during the lockout and his experience with sports contract management, felt that unless the arbiter went off the path completely, that this was likely going to be a win for the NHLPA.

Do we know for sure? No...but I'm very glad we don't have to find out, because it seems the odds were against us.
The Hawks and Devils were both days late in filing whereas this was going to be parsing of the word "tender" and investigating the sending means as spelled out in the CBA where the Boolean operator OR plays a key role in determining if the team was in the wrong or not. Historically, the Hawks and Devils situations are quite different.

Old
07-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
You're kidding, right? A union - any union - will always look for an opportunity to drive a hole in an agreement or find monetary advantage for their member. All they needed was a grey area, not a "legit case". It's not evil or anything, that's why they exist - to advocate for their members.
^ This

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:15 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
So, for all you "poile screwed up", "fire the bums", etc guys; the grills heating up. Got the whole spice drawer out; got ketchup and mustard and hot-sauce. Bring your crow ready-to-go - all cooked medium-rare unless you specify otherwise. I'm sure someone else be happy to bring you a little pepto to help keep it down.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
So, for all you "poile screwed up", "fire the bums", etc guys; the grills heating up. Got the whole spice drawer out; got ketchup and mustard and hot-sauce. Bring your crow ready-to-go - all cooked medium-rare unless you specify otherwise. I'm sure someone else be happy to bring you a little pepto to help keep it down.
I like this guy.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
I like a little hot sauce tbh. Maybe a few onions, and bacon strips, and bacon strips.

I guess it won't be a developing year. Great signing. I thought he would get anywhere up to 3.5, especially for a 1year. I'm very surprised at the low caphit here. As for the term, it allows him to push hard to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. We should see another hungry SK this year. Atta boy Poile.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:26 PM
predfan98

Quote:
I'm not sure where I fit.......but, this doesn't prove that somebody didn't screw up. we'll really never know now, imo.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I'm not sure where I fit.......but, this doesn't prove that somebody didn't screw up. we'll really never know now, imo.
this, and I tend to lean towards wetcoaster/btn pov in this situation

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Great deal, its only one year at 2.5. Very good. He remains a RFA which is also huge. Poile worked magic in this RFA mess, now im feeling a lot more confident about this offseason/team

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Add 2 defensemen, a forward and call it a day.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($6.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($2.500m)
Colin Wilson ($1.725m) / Mike Fisher ($4.000m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.000m)
Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Cal O'Reilly ($1.050m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($0.575m)
Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.600m) / Nick Spaling ($1.000m)
/ / Jordin Tootoo ($1.350m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($3.500m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Jonathon Blum ($0.941m) / Brett Lebda ($1.450m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($4.000m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $56,300,000; CASH PAYROLL: $43,112,500; BONUSES: $1,325,000
CASH SPACE (20-man roster): $13,187,500

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Suter x 20

Awesome!

I think this contract is just right. Money seems perfect and the year does as well so SK can show that he can be consistent.

Happy with this, very happy

Suter x 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Add 2 defensemen, a forward and call it a day.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($6.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($2.500m)
Colin Wilson ($1.725m) / Mike Fisher ($4.000m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.000m)
Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Cal O'Reilly ($1.050m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($0.575m)
Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.600m) / Nick Spaling ($1.000m)
/ / Jordin Tootoo ($1.350m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($3.500m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Jonathon Blum ($0.941m) / Brett Lebda ($1.450m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($4.000m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $56,300,000; CASH PAYROLL: $43,112,500; BONUSES: $1,325,000
CASH SPACE (20-man roster): $13,187,500
Don't forget about Storts.

Last two Dmen should be Weber and Josi or whoever wins the job during camp.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Again, very happy with this move and am thrilled that all of our RFAs are all in order. Now resign weber and I will be pleased. Trade for a top six and I will be even more thrilled unless we add a veteran defender who can eat minutes. I would prefer the forward to bump Wilson to the third line considering hasn't been consisant.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:51 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
He'll still be an RFA next year. I love it.

Poile is a miracle worker. Now fire whoever got us into this mess in the first place.
Are you kidding me? For kostitsyn to go ahead and sign now, arguably for less than he likely would have receives in arbitration, is a pretty strong indicator that SK and his agent thoguht the preds would win the arbitration case. I dont think we ended up overpaying at all in any of the rfas.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

Sorry, but if i accept your line of reasoning then kostitsyn and his agent are either idiots or altruists.

I find that highly unlikely. If meehan thought the nhlpa was going to prevail, he should have held out. Worst case scenario is sk still goes to arbitration and probably gets at least the 2.5 he signed for.

I think that meehan believed the nhlpa case was a crapshoot, and if they lost it that in salary arbitration an arbiter would either find for the preds or paradoxically award sk an amount that the preds would be forced to walk away from, leaving him in unceratin territory looking for a team in mid august after everyone has their rosters set(kinda like happened to neimi last year).

So instead they took a sure thing and it worked for everyone.

Old
07-08-2011, 03:08 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Thanks dean i will help you sevre.. I ate my wing of crow when this didnt die down right away but i agree all the people who said unequivocally this would end in disaster should belly up to the bar for their serving..

I dont think you can make much of a case that we had to overpay anyone.