HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Sources say Flyers shopping goalie Bobrovsky

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
  #51
Eberle
4-93-14
 
Eberle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 981
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Eberle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
For the right return, I would deal him now and sign a cheaper vet to be the backup. At the same time, there's no immediate reason to deal him now that our salary cap problems have been solved so completely.
I didn't think so. The Oilers would have to deal with Khabi to bring in another goaltender, and if that meant sending him down to the AHL, I don't think I'd be interested. We have a goalie prospect that should see some significant time there this year, and Khabi down there takes that time away completely.

I'd really just like to have Bob replace Khabi, but, at this point Khabi has negative trade value, so the trade would never get done.

Eberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:16 PM
  #52
sc78258
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
My gut says that we can treat Bryz/Bob like Vancouver treats Lu/Schneider in the sense that we can groom Bob to be blue-chip trade bait down the line by showcasing him as he rides the pine. I disagree with the sentiment that his contract status makes him a more attractive trade piece than if we developed him in the backup role and shipped him later.

sc78258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:19 PM
  #53
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You are making a big assumption there. Bob put up very good numbers this past year, and he's going to see far more limited playing time in the future. I very much doubt Bryz is going to be spending his time worrying about cultivating his competition (he's not some 38 y/o guy at the end of his career).
wait just to clarify on my assumption? is it
1. that he will perform well with limited ice time?
or
2. that him / bryz will get along?

b/c you kind of have to expect that he will perform similar to last year (could be better or worse, but thats our only barometer)

and as for getting along with bryz...
BOB is a really nice friendly kid, believe it or not ive met him and he gets along well with everyone on the team. He even got along with Zherdev (a total d!ck) b/c Z spoke russian. This poor kid literally couldnt speak to anyone on the team, and will (and already has) jump on the opportunity to befriend a fellow russian.

(whom he can actually talk to)

btw Bryz has a phenomenal work ethic, thats a REALLY good influence for a goalie as young as BOB who has never had a formal coach.

just my two cents, but take it for what its worth (two cents)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:26 PM
  #54
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,141
vCash: 300
BOB = Locker room cancer

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:26 PM
  #55
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
wait just to clarify on my assumption? is it
1. that he will perform well with limited ice time?
or
2. that him / bryz will get along?

b/c you kind of have to expect that he will perform similar to last year (could be better or worse, but thats our only barometer)

and as for getting along with bryz...
BOB is a really nice friendly kid, believe it or not ive met him and he gets along well with everyone on the team. He even got along with Zherdev (a total d!ck) b/c Z spoke russian. This poor kid literally couldnt speak to anyone on the team, and will (and already has) jump on the opportunity to befriend a fellow russian.

(whom he can actually talk to)

btw Bryz has a phenomenal work ethic, thats a REALLY good influence for a goalie as young as BOB who has never had a formal coach.

just my two cents, but take it for what its worth (two cents)
He's going to go from playing 50+ games with solid numbers, to seeing a drastically reduced amount of starts. Assuming he puts up bout the same numbers, his trade value isn't going to really get any higher if he never gets tested.

The market isn't great for untested young goalies who languish behind starters. Bob's value certainly isn't going up from here on out if he's stuck behind Bryz.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:35 PM
  #56
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,840
vCash: 500
I think both Lavi and Homer screwed him up this year. They let him play all those games in Oct/Nov without a break. He should have been paced more evenly considering he'd never played more than 35 games in a season before. Sure, he wanted to play but that's how athletes are. Then when the playoffs came, Lavi panicked. Homer and he both have an irrational love for Leighton and it blew up.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:36 PM
  #57
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
I wouldn't say now is do or die to move Bob. Lots can happen to other teams and their goaltending situation that will factor in Bob still being viewed as a good commodity to pay fair market value or maybe overpay if a team really needs a goalie .

I don't foresee a Halak situation necessarily where by the 2nd half he became the go to guy and then traded him the following offseason for a decent return. Only if Bryzgalov gets injured could you have that scenario. I would say hold on to Bob as long as possible..leave yourself some additional cap space for flexibility to see how Pronger holds up and for other contingency reasons and then when the trade deadline approaches in the second half start shopping again. Flyers can work within the cap in the meantime and keep Bob around unless somebody gives up what they are looking for. A half season of platoon duty isn't going to kill him and even a full season if necessary. Even Meltzer has suggested as much saying 20 games will still be enough to hone his skills etc. Yeah long term if Bryzgalov really takes the bull by the horns with the starting position will holding on to Bob stunt him...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:45 PM
  #58
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,414
vCash: 500
Stupid idea is stupid. You don't see Boston scrambling to move Rask. I say keep him. Forget Bryz's contract. If in 3 or so years Bob starts playing better we could easily trade Bryzgalov. It would be dumb to trade Bob. He just seems like one of those players that you trade and regret it.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:49 PM
  #59
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Stupid idea is stupid. You don't see Boston scrambling to move Rask. I say keep him. Forget Bryz's contract. If in 3 or so years Bob starts playing better we could easily trade Bryzgalov. It would be dumb to trade Bob. He just seems like one of those players that you trade and regret it.
It would be dumb to trad him for Nothing, but if we could get a good young Dman like OEL, it would be a good move. We have no blue chip d on the way

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:50 PM
  #60
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I wouldn't say now is do or die to move Bob. Lots can happen to other teams and their goaltending situation that will factor in Bob still being viewed as a good commodity to pay fair market value or maybe overpay if a team really needs a goalie .

I don't foresee a Halak situation necessarily where by the 2nd half he became the go to guy and then traded him the following offseason for a decent return. Only if Bryzgalov gets injured could you have that scenario. I would say hold on to Bob as long as possible..leave yourself some additional cap space for flexibility to see how Pronger holds up and for other contingency reasons and then when the trade deadline approaches in the second half start shopping again. Flyers can work within the cap in the meantime and keep Bob around unless somebody gives up what they are looking for. A half season of platoon duty isn't going to kill him and even a full season if necessary. Even Meltzer has suggested as much saying 20 games will still be enough to hone his skills etc. Yeah long term if Bryzgalov really takes the bull by the horns with the starting position will holding on to Bob stunt him...
exactly, Meltzer is right like 99% of the time TBH.

trade deadline makes a lot more sense than now, and even still he's VERY young...he will get more accomplished mentoring Bryz (hell even just talking to him) than playing an extra 30 games (which obviously wore him out)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
  #61
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,668
vCash: 156
Maybe we will get lucky and someone will pull a Colorado.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
  #62
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverCarle View Post
It would be dumb to trad him for Nothing, but if we could get a good young Dman like OEL, it would be a good move. We have no blue chip d on the way
OEL would be a no brainer to acquire but it would cost more than Bob but would be fair. Problem is I'm not so sure Phoenix would do that....but not an impossibility obviously. I can see Bob in Phoenix..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:14 PM
  #63
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
It's a bit strange that Detroit hasn't shored up their backup position yet, isn't it? Waiting to see if Osgood will give it one more go? Other than that they have Emery, Leclaire (if he even can play), Turco and Conklin to choose from really. If they are wary that Emery can hold up, I could see them take a look at what goalies could be had in a trade and it is perhaps doubtful that Vancouver will trade Schneider to the Red Wings, Kings will most likely hold on to their goalies again this year, so Bobrovsky could be a good fit for them.

2nd rounder and Abdelkader? Is that reasonable or am I way off?

I hope we're not shopping Bobrovsky though, but if there is a team out there that really wants him and gives us a good price, then sure, take it.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
  #64
Cromster
Registered User
 
Cromster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New London, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
So we trade Bob for a good young D-man, then who backs up Bryz? MFL. No thx. That would be a nightmare for me. I would really rather not ever see MFL in net for the Flyers ever gain. Ever.

The Rask comparison in Boston is valid. Having 2 competant starting goalies is a problem you want to have right? It's not like we're breaking our bank because of Bob's huge contract or anything. Bob can use the time to get used to the longer season and get some mentorship from a fellow Russian goalie. This isn't a crisis situation and we don't need to move Bob.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:22 PM
  #65
o Hamhuis 2 x
Registered User
 
o Hamhuis 2 x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading PA
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
So we trade Bob for a good young D-man, then who backs up Bryz? MFL. No thx. That would be a nightmare for me. I would really rather not ever see MFL in net for the Flyers ever gain. Ever.

The Rask comparison in Boston is valid. Having 2 competant starting goalies is a problem you want to have right? It's not like we're breaking our bank because of Bob's huge contract or anything. Bob can use the time to get used to the longer season and get some mentorship from a fellow Russian goalie. This isn't a crisis situation and we don't need to move Bob.
That's why we go sign Conklin or Turco cheap. Any team would do this trade of Bob and a pick for OEL. It works out for both sides

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:27 PM
  #66
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc78258 View Post
My gut says that we can treat Bryz/Bob like Vancouver treats Lu/Schneider in the sense that we can groom Bob to be blue-chip trade bait down the line by showcasing him as he rides the pine. I disagree with the sentiment that his contract status makes him a more attractive trade piece than if we developed him in the backup role and shipped him later.
you sir, nailed it.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
  #67
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
What did you think we'd get for Versteeg? 2nd and a 3rd is pretty solid to me. As for Bob...I doubt we'd get much value. Not many teams left looking for a goalie if there's any at all.
We'd have gotten more at the trade deadline for Versteeg, but of course Holmgren has to get less value - he seems good at doing that. This is the same reason I see him getting rid of Bobrovsky for next to nothing. He is a capable goalie, and I expect a 3rd round pick for him, which will likely amount to nothing, as most 3rd round picks do.

If the Flyers could get a 1st rounder for Bob, I'd do it, but what team is going to do that?

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
  #68
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
It's a bit strange that Detroit hasn't shored up their backup position yet, isn't it? Waiting to see if Osgood will give it one more go? Other than that they have Emery, Leclaire (if he even can play), Turco and Conklin to choose from really. If they are wary that Emery can hold up, I could see them take a look at what goalies could be had in a trade and it is perhaps doubtful that Vancouver will trade Schneider to the Red Wings, Kings will most likely hold on to their goalies again this year, so Bobrovsky could be a good fit for them.

2nd rounder and Abdelkader? Is that reasonable or am I way off?

I hope we're not shopping Bobrovsky though, but if there is a team out there that really wants him and gives us a good price, then sure, take it.
id take that trade (but then again i think that its waaay off)

i think you're right, there is no rush to move BOB...he is in a great spot here in philly (better than he'd be in most clubs)

I think he's worth more to us than almost any other team (b/c we have bryz)...but if someone wants to overpay, you let them

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:32 PM
  #69
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I wouldn't say now is do or die to move Bob. Lots can happen to other teams and their goaltending situation that will factor in Bob still being viewed as a good commodity to pay fair market value or maybe overpay if a team really needs a goalie .

I don't foresee a Halak situation necessarily where by the 2nd half he became the go to guy and then traded him the following offseason for a decent return. Only if Bryzgalov gets injured could you have that scenario. I would say hold on to Bob as long as possible..leave yourself some additional cap space for flexibility to see how Pronger holds up and for other contingency reasons and then when the trade deadline approaches in the second half start shopping again. Flyers can work within the cap in the meantime and keep Bob around unless somebody gives up what they are looking for. A half season of platoon duty isn't going to kill him and even a full season if necessary. Even Meltzer has suggested as much saying 20 games will still be enough to hone his skills etc. Yeah long term if Bryzgalov really takes the bull by the horns with the starting position will holding on to Bob stunt him...
I'm not concerned about stunting Bob. I think he will be find. I'm concerned about maximizing an asset for the Flyers.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
  #70
Cromster
Registered User
 
Cromster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New London, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
That's why we go sign Conklin or Turco cheap. Any team would do this trade of Bob and a pick for OEL. It works out for both sides
I see your logic. It makes sense. I have to disagree though. We've got a good defensive group right now, with some good players in development. It's been awhile since we had a stud goalie in our system. I believe the whole reason Bryzgalov was targetted specifically was to be a mentor for Bob.

OEL would be great on our team, but we don't necessarily NEED him. I wouldn't make a trade for the sake of making a trade. If we have to make a trade it should be to address a need.

We got a starting goalie, we got bigger on the wing. Needs were addressed. I think we have the team we'll be taking into the next season. I don't foresee any more player movement. /knock on wood.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:36 PM
  #71
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
I see your logic. It makes sense. I have to disagree though. We've got a good defensive group right now, with some good players in development. It's been awhile since we had a stud goalie in our system. I believe the whole reason Bryzgalov was targetted specifically was to be a mentor for Bob.

OEL would be great on our team, but we don't necessarily NEED him. I wouldn't make a trade for the sake of making a trade. If we have to make a trade it should be to address a need.

We got a starting goalie, we got bigger on the wing. Needs were addressed. I think we have the team we'll be taking into the next season. I don't foresee any more player movement. /knock on wood.
If you can get OEL for Bob right now, you do it immediately. That would be a massive coup.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:41 PM
  #72
o Hamhuis 2 x
Registered User
 
o Hamhuis 2 x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading PA
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
I see your logic. It makes sense. I have to disagree though. We've got a good defensive group right now, with some good players in development. It's been awhile since we had a stud goalie in our system. I believe the whole reason Bryzgalov was targetted specifically was to be a mentor for Bob.

OEL would be great on our team, but we don't necessarily NEED him. I wouldn't make a trade for the sake of making a trade. If we have to make a trade it should be to address a need.

We got a starting goalie, we got bigger on the wing. Needs were addressed. I think we have the team we'll be taking into the next season. I don't foresee any more player movement. /knock on wood.
I can see where you're coming from. I just think our upcoming dmen are a little below average. Since we're supposedly talking to Phoenix I'm hoping that's what it is. It would be even better if we trade Carle and some picks but that's just a dream lol. I like Bob but I think that with Pronger and Timonen's age and our defensive prospects, we could use a guy like OEL

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:47 PM
  #73
Cromster
Registered User
 
Cromster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New London, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
I see where you guys are coming form. It makes sense. My fear is that we trade away Bob and sign Conklin or Turco to back up Bryz and we're one injury away from being right back where we've been since Hextall. The goalie position is shored up for the 1st time in YEARS. Why mess with that unless its an absolute necessity. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
  #74
tuckrr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
next year is a REALLY deep draft, i think we can find our stud D-man in a pick if we traded up a little bit, really i think we just need 1...when kimmo goes we can still maintain
Carl-Pronger
Mez-Draft
Coburn-UFA

and i'd be fine with that...

i mean look at that sbisa picK! we can pick dmen like its our business
lets not overpay if we dont have to.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:51 PM
  #75
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
I would rather keep him, give him 22 starts this season and try to keep Bryz fresh for the playoffs. Besides the market for goalies has evaporated... at least for now.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.