HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ...

Old
07-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i'm not angry. Jest had previously claimed that a consumer who pays BOTH DTV and Comcast for TV services is not a Comcast customer:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...3&postcount=36

i have proven that to be incorrect. and by doing so, proven that Comcast has been using this loophole on some of it's own customers. Jest claimed that they were not doing that.

i'm not sure what point dave is trying to make, as he's talking about 'Comcast Only' customers ..... they don't have a DISH, and that means they have nothing to do with CSN Philly coming to a Dish near you ..
Oh gosh. I see what's going on now. The bolded statement is completely invalid - do you understand that?

Comcast is NOT screwing it's own customers because SOME of those Comcast customers ALSO subscribe to Directv where they can't get CSN Philly. The 2 are apples and oranges - why is that so hard to discern?

You're debating semantics, you're not debating actual concepts.

Crescent Street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:35 AM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Oh gosh. I see what's going on now. The bolded statement is completely invalid - do you understand that?

Comcast is NOT screwing it's own customers because SOME of those Comcast customers ALSO subscribe to Directv where they can't get CSN Philly. The 2 are apples and oranges - why is that so hard to discern?

Would you believe this debate has been going on for more than a year?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I'd seriously love to know what this guy's face looks like.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
the debate is over. Jest claimed that they were not Comcast customers over a year ago, [bus has since acknowledged that they are customers of both companies]

everybody knows that there are Customers of Comcast, who are also customers of DTV being prevented from getting CSN Philly because of this loophole being used. as to the actual number of customers, or to what 'degree' they are a Comcast customer is debatable, and immaterial.

the bottom line is that Comcast does use this loophole on the entire country, and that includes customers of Comcast as well.

that is not a matter of 'semantics'. that is 100% factual. as it was on January 10th, 2010.

Quote:
Comcast is NOT screwing it's own customers because SOME of those Comcast customers ALSO subscribe to Directv where they can't get CSN Philly.
Comcast absolutely IS screwing some of it's own customers because those Comcast customers [who also happen to subscribe to Directv] can't get CSN Philly because Comcast uses the loophole to prevent it. Those same customers CAN get every other regional CSN station on DTV because Comcast has no loophole to prevent it.

if it makes you feel better, i'll re-phrase it:

Comcast absolutely IS screwing some of it's own customers

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 05:15 PM
i am dave

Quote:
the debate is over. Jest claimed that they were not Comcast customers over a year ago, [bus has since acknowledged that they are customers of both companies]

everybody knows that there are Customers of Comcast, who are also customers of DTV being prevented from getting CSN Philly because of this loophole being used. as to the actual number of customers, or to what 'degree' they are a Comcast customer is debatable, and immaterial.

the bottom line is that Comcast does use this loophole on the entire country, and that includes customers of Comcast as well.

that is not a matter of 'semantics'. that is 100% factual. as it was on January 10th, 2010.

Comcast absolutely IS screwing some of it's own customers because those Comcast customers [who also happen to subscribe to Directv] can't get CSN Philly because Comcast uses the loophole to prevent it. Those same customers CAN get every other regional CSN station on DTV because Comcast has no loophole to prevent it.

if it makes you feel better, i'll re-phrase it:

Comcast absolutely IS screwing some of it's own customers
Why do you not believe they are "screwing" ALL of their customers outside of Philly?

Old
07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

For the sake of your sanity, run away from this thread as fast as you can.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Why do you not believe they are "screwing" ALL of their customers outside of Philly?
huh ?

Old
07-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Delete - don't even know why I'm wasting my time.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Delete - don't even know why I'm wasting my time.
there's nothing wrong with discussing this situation. it's important to many Flyers fans across the country.

why some people refused to acknowledge that Comcast has been using this loophole on [some of] it's own customers, is beyond me. the fact that those customers also have another TV provider, or that the viewing of CSN Philly would be on that other provider does not mean they are not Comcast customers as well, or that they haven't been hurt by Comcast using this loophole.

Old
07-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
there's nothing wrong with discussing this situation. it's important to many Flyers fans across the country.

why some people refused to acknowledge that Comcast has been using this loophole on [some of] it's own customers, is beyond me. the fact that those customers also have another TV provider, or that the viewing of CSN Philly would be on that other provider does not mean they are not Comcast customers as well, or that they haven't been hurt by Comcast using this loophole.
Yes - it's important to me! I have Directv and I'm in NY so I've been having to deal with this crap all along. This is where you and I differ though. YOU are in Philly territory and receive CSN Philly on your local affiliate on your Comcast cable. Problem solved, loophole has no real impact on you because you get it on COMCAST. JUST BECAUSE you happen to subscribe to a second service outside of Comcast that doesn't carry the channel has absolutely nothing to do with Comcast screwing you! They provide it to you on YOUR LOCAL AFFILIATE ON YOUR LOCAL CABLE!!

Being a subscriber of both does not mean Comcast is screwing you!!

Why do YOU refuse to acknowledge this?

If anything Comcast has been screwing DIRECTV customers. NOT Comcast customers!!!

See the bolded statement? Yes it's important to many Flyer fans outside of the Philly region - but guess what? They don't have the luxury that YOU have by receiving it on your local cable affiliate, Comcast. Comcast is NOT screwing you and others who subscribe to 2 separate services. They are screwing Directv customers who don't have the luxury of living in the Philly area.

Last edited by Crescent Street: 07-08-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old
07-08-2011, 12:39 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Yes - it's important to me! I have Directv and I'm in NY so I've been having to deal with this crap all along. This is where you and I differ though. YOU are in Philly territory and receive CSN Philly on your local affiliate on your Comcast cable. Problem solved, loophole has no real impact on you because you get it on COMCAST. JUST BECAUSE you happen to subscribe to a second service outside of Comcast that doesn't carry the channel has absolutely nothing to do with Comcast screwing you! They provide it to you on YOUR LOCAL AFFILIATE ON YOUR LOCAL CABLE!!

If anything Comcast has been screwing DIRECTV customers. NOT Comcast customers!!!

See the bolded statement? Yes it's important to many Flyer fans outside of the Philly region - but guess what? They don't have the luxury that YOU have by receiving it on your local cable affiliate, Comcast. Comcast is NOT screwing you and others who subscribe to 2 separate services. They are screwing Directv customers who don't have the luxury of living in the Philly area.
What the other dude is trying to say is that he would only have DTV if they had CSN Philly because Comcast is outrageously priced, so we are forced to have Comcast if we want to watch the flyers.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
What the other dude is trying to say is that he would only have DTV if they had CSN Philly because Comcast is outrageously priced, so we are forced to have Comcast if we want to watch the flyers.
Wait a second. Now we're talking about pricing as to why Comcast is screwing him? Come on. Directv isn't exactly cheap either, especially if you're getting the Center Ice package.

Old
07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
i am dave

Quote:
huh ?
This right here sums it all up.

Old
07-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
This right here sums it all up.
you're the one who asked the stupid question, not me.

so, i'll ask you: Why do you not believe they are "screwing" ALL of their customers outside of Philly?

Old
07-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

no, i do not get CSN Philly on my Comcast. I only have basic Comcast. They USED TO include CSN Philly on 'basic', then pulled it off basic cable, and now want another $40 or so monthly.

I have had DTV [for NFL Sunday ticket] since 1998. So, Comcast screwed me, since getting CSN Philly [and the Flyers on DTV] could not happen because of this loophole. Comcast figured I'd fork over the extra $ just for CSN Philly / Flyers games.

i'm still a comcast customer [basic cable & internet]. they tried screwing me by using this loophole, something they would not / could not do if I were a Sharks, Caps, Black Hawks etc etc fan [who can get CSN from their team's home town on DTV]

comcast can use this loophole, and tried to screw me and any other Flyers fan nationwide, who wants the same access to the CSN from their favorite team's home town. there are people out there like me, who have DTV, and who are Comcast customers.

Comcast absolutely IS screwing [or trying to screw in my case] some of it's own customers.

i would not let comcast get the extra $40 dollars, i simply came up with my own 'loophole' ....... told DTV i 'moved' to North Jersey [out of the Philly market], and for 8 years have gotten every Flyers game on DTV with NHL Centre Ice [i have no desire to actually get CSN Philly]

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 07-09-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old
07-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
we are forced to have Comcast if we want to watch the flyers.

that's what comcast thought about me .... just use my 'loophole', and say a big FU to Comcast, like i did

Old
07-09-2011, 09:43 PM
jtarheel

Remember Prism?

Prism channel was the precurser to CSN-P. The Prism channel due to some agreement is not to be on satellite. Thus CSN-P is not allowed. AT&T ran a line to the studios to get the channel, FiOS asked Comcast for the feed. Answer was No. Verizon then told Comcast to remove their lines from Verizon poles. The answer changed to Yes.

jtarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:30 AM
i am dave

Quote:
you're the one who asked the stupid question, not me.

so, i'll ask you: Why do you not believe they are "screwing" ALL of their customers outside of Philly?
It's not a stupid question. You are apparently incapable of understanding a simple question relevant to your claim that Comcast screws some of its customers.

If you believe Comcast is screwing some of its customers, then you should believe Comcast is screwing ALL its customers by not allowing CSN-P to appear on its OWN system outside of Philadelphia. Having DirecTV has nothing to do with anything.

To suggest that a Comcast customer is not being screwed by Comcast until that Comcast customer purchases DirecTV is the most absurd reasoning there is.

On the other note, I personally don't believe Comcast is screwing ANYBODY for several reasons:
  • It's a television station, not water. You do not need it to survive.
  • I don't believe it is a right of the people to have access to out-of-market programming.
  • I believe the FCC is as arbitrary and over-reaching in its regulatory role as the MPAA.
  • What Comcast was doing was legal while they were doing it.
  • I don't believe any private company has a responsibility to cater to the lowest common denominator (i.e. the relatively few people in Chicago, for example, who would want CSN-P).

That's my opinion.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:31 AM
i am dave

Quote:
that's what comcast thought about me .... just use my 'loophole', and say a big FU to Comcast, like i did
Comcast's "loophole" was legal. Your "loophole" has never been and never will be legal.

Old
07-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Comcast's "loophole" was legal. Your "loophole" has never been and never will be legal.
totally agree with you on this one. EAT IT, Comcast

Quote:
It's not a stupid question.

If you believe Comcast is screwing some of its customers, then you should believe Comcast is screwing ALL its customers by not allowing CSN-P to appear on its OWN system outside of Philadelphia. Having DirecTV has nothing to do with anything.
yes, it IS a stupid question:

it is NOT about CSN Philly not being shown nationwide on Comcast. Comcast does NOT make ANY of the CSNs available on its OWN system nationwide outside of that CSN's territory.

this ENTIRE thread is about the Terrestrial Loophole, and how Comcast keeps CSN Philly from other distributors by invoking it.

you are either intentionally trying to cloud the issue, or simply just don't understand it.

I KNOW Comcast is screwing some of its customers: customers with Comcast [just like non comcast customers] nationwide get denied CSN Philly via a competitor, while they DO get CSN Chicago etc etc via a competitor.

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 07-10-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old
07-10-2011, 02:40 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Hope you guys don't mind answering a question for me real quick. I couldn't find an exact answer before the thread kinda got derailed, but I do apologize if this has been answered.

I live in the CSN Philly market and have DirecTV. I obviously don't get CSN Philly right now, and all flyers games are blacked out on CenterIce (Home and Away feeds).

Now, if this is truly resolved, will I be able to watch Flyers games on CenterIce without getting the "Sports Package"? Or will I have to add that package to be able to get the Flyers games?

TheUnseenHand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:56 PM
hXc Chris

Comcast wont run a line down my street because I live out in the sticks, their line stops right at the end of my block. They refuse to offer me service, they say it wont be cost effective enough to continue running the line an extra 200 feet. So i'm forced to get Dish and then when I try to watch the games on Dish they black me out. I'm only 45mins away from the city of Philadelphia and they black me out.

I hope the entire Corporation burns in hell. F Comcast and F their greedy business practices.

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Hope you guys don't mind answering a question for me real quick. I couldn't find an exact answer before the thread kinda got derailed, but I do apologize if this has been answered.

I live in the CSN Philly market and have DirecTV. I obviously don't get CSN Philly right now, and all flyers games are blacked out on CenterIce (Home and Away feeds).

Now, if this is truly resolved, will I be able to watch Flyers games on CenterIce without getting the "Sports Package"? Or will I have to add that package to be able to get the Flyers games?
you would not need to get the NHL Center Ice Package or the 'Sports Package'

I 'live' in North Jersey, and do NOT have the NBA pkg, but i DO get the Nets / Knicks games on my regional sports channels.

CSN Phily would be YOUR Regional channel, included with DTV

Old
07-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
Comcast wont run a line down my street because I live out in the sticks, their line stops right at the end of my block. They refuse to offer me service, they say it wont be cost effective enough to continue running the line an extra 200 feet. So i'm forced to get Dish and then when I try to watch the games on Dish they black me out. I'm only 45mins away from the city of Philadelphia and they black me out.

I hope the entire Corporation burns in hell. F Comcast and F their greedy business practices.

solution for you:

you can add NHL package.

a few weeks later, unplug your DISH reciever for a day & tell them you 'moved' to another area of the country. you'll need to come up with an address [that will be your 'service location'] and tell them not to send bills anymore, since you have signed up for online bill payments / account mgt

that 'city' will be your 'home market' [ie: NOT Philly market]

then, the Flyers won't be blacked out on the NHL package. Ever.

then, when CSN Philly goes 'live' on DISH, you can 'move' back into Philly. [use you real address]

the only drawback for you is if you don't get Philly local channels over the air

the most logical area to pick is the NY City area

Old
07-10-2011, 03:20 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
you would not need to get the NHL Center Ice Package or the 'Sports Package'

I 'live' in North Jersey, and do NOT have the NBA pkg, but i DO get the Nets / Knicks games on my regional sports channels.

CSN Phily would be YOUR Regional channel, included with DTV
Many thanks, I appreciate that! Obviously I'd still get CenterIce because I'm a Devils fan and won't get their games otherwise; but I didn't like missing the Flyers-Devils games. Streaming is just not the same as HDTV.

TheUnseenHand is online now   Reply With Quote