HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sources say Flyers shopping goalie Bobrovsky

Old
07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
The rumor I heard (yes its me again so I have no link lol and I think it was a rumor and not just speculation) was Bob and a pick to Phoenix for Oliver Ekman-Larsson.
Lol. Come on with this. There is ZERO chance of Bobrovsky bringing back a future superstar in OEL. Where do people come up with this stuff? OEL is one of the best all-around, young defensemen in the NHL. If the Coyotes traded him for Sergei Bobrovsky, their team should fold immediately.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:01 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

I'm just gonna try a lineup with and without Bob (using OEL as the player we get back. )
JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Couturier/Read
Talbot-Betts-Sestito

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Ekman-Larsson

Bryzgalov-Conklin

JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Couturier/Read
Talbot-Betts-Sestito

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-Lilja

Bryzgalov-Bobrovsky

Either of those lineups works for me. Maybe if we get OEL we can change up the d pairings

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Lol. Come on with this. There is ZERO chance of Bobrovsky bringing back a future superstar in OEL. Where do people come up with this stuff? OEL is one of the best all-around, young defensemen in the NHL. If the Coyotes traded him for Sergei Bobrovsky, their team should fold immediately.
If Bob is the real deal, he's worth OEL at the moment.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:03 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
It was like Bob, a 1st, and a good prospect. Not a Schenn or Couturier but a good one. If you think about it, Mike Smith would be their starting goalie without Bob and they have a lot of good defense prospects in Phoenix.

Old
07-08-2011, 02:11 PM
phlocky

Too bad WE couldn't have made a deal with Col for Bob before they made that deal with Wash. I would have LOVED to get the Col 1st rnd pick in next years draft seeing how it is potentially a lottery pick and there are suppose to be 10-12 "franchise" quality players in next years draft. Man, if we could have turned Bob into a player like Weber/Doughty (assuming we drafted a franchise dman with the pick) I'd find some way to do backflips again even at my age.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
phlocky

Quote:

Umm, there really isn't much difference between Bob and Varlamov whom was just traded for the Col 1st next year. That pick is potentially a lottery pick and even if it's not there is little chance that it's NOT a top 10 pick. Next year's draft is suppose to have 10-12 players who are "franchise" potential players making that pick >>> OEL (unless you honestly believe that OEL is a franchise type player, which I think is a HUGE leap of faith to make such a statement). Thus, by extrapolation, Bob is most definitely worth someone like OEL. Now, it may be that Phx doesn't place bob's value high enough to be willing to part with OEL but that's ok.

Old
07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Too bad WE couldn't have made a deal with Col for Bob before they made that deal with Wash. I would have LOVED to get the Col 1st rnd pick in next years draft seeing how it is potentially a lottery pick and there are suppose to be 10-12 "franchise" quality players in next years draft. Man, if we could have turned Bob into a player like Weber/Doughty (assuming we drafted a franchise dman with the pick) I'd find some way to do backflips again even at my age.
I would think Colorado wouldnt have offered all that for BOB becuase he has one year of experience in North America. And Varlamov was a first rounder as well and probably played some part in negotiating the trade. But man did Colorado over pay for him or what

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Umm, there really isn't much difference between Bob and Varlamov whom was just traded for the Col 1st next year. That pick is potentially a lottery pick and even if it's not there is little chance that it's NOT a top 10 pick. Next year's draft is suppose to have 10-12 players who are "franchise" potential players making that pick >>> OEL (unless you honestly believe that OEL is a franchise type player, which I think is a HUGE leap of faith to make such a statement). Thus, by extrapolation, Bob is most definitely worth someone like OEL. Now, it may be that Phx doesn't place bob's value high enough to be willing to part with OEL but that's ok.
Just because Colorado is stupid, doesn't mean the Coyotes will follow suit. A 1st and 2nd were total overpayment by the Avalanche for an inconsistent goalie who has shown flashes of being just as bad as good.

And, yes, OEL is on his way to being a franchise player. Watch him play, I have for years. This trade rumor/offer is completely out of hand silly.

Old
07-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out how Washington was able to get that 1st rounder. Getting Detroit's first round pick is one thing, but Colorado's is another thing altogether.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:29 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I would think Colorado wouldnt have offered all that for BOB becuase he has one year of experience in North America. And Varlamov was a first rounder as well and probably played some part in negotiating the trade. But man did Colorado over pay for him or what
I would have been happy with just the 1st, the heck with the 2nd in either 2012 or 13. Also, Varlomov only played 5 more games in the NHL than Bob (IIRC) and he did it over 3 years. Don't you think that if Varly was all THAT much better than Bob that he'd have been THE GUY and played more than just 20 games a year on average??? Think about this, he's only average 20 games a year in the NHL, WHY????

I just checked, Bob has started 52 games, Varly 53 games. Bob s% = 0.915, Varly = 0.917. Bob has 28 wins, Varly has 30. Bob had GAA of 2.59, Varly has 2.39.

Numbers are pretty similar aren't they??? Yes Col way over paid but ther is no reason to believe that Bob COULDN'T have garnered a 1st from Col if we had talked to them before they talked to Washington.

Old
07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Just because Colorado is stupid, doesn't mean the Coyotes will follow suit. A 1st and 2nd were total overpayment by the Avalanche for an inconsistent goalie who has shown flashes of being just as bad as good.

And, yes, OEL is on his way to being a franchise player. Watch him play, I have for years. This trade rumor/offer is completely out of hand silly.
Honestly, you're either overrating OEL, underrating Bobrovsky, or both, not to mention the 1st rounder and prospect as well. I think this is a pretty solid deal for both sides. I like OEL, that's why I want him, and he isn't worth much more if any more than this rumor

Old
07-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I would have been happy with just the 1st, the heck with the 2nd in either 2012 or 13. Also, Varlomov only played 5 more games in the NHL than Bob (IIRC) and he did it over 3 years. Don't you think that if Varly was all THAT much better than Bob that he'd have been THE GUY and played more than just 20 games a year on average??? Think about this, he's only average 20 games a year in the NHL, WHY????

I just checked, Bob has started 52 games, Varly 53 games. Bob s% = 0.915, Varly = 0.917. Bob has 28 wins, Varly has 30. Bob had GAA of 2.59, Varly has 2.39.

Numbers are pretty similar aren't they??? Yes Col way over paid but ther is no reason to believe that Bob COULDN'T have garnered a 1st from Col if we had talked to them before they talked to Washington.
Varly has also proven himself at other stages not just the NHL too.. i believe World Juniors where BOB was his back up. Varly has also been over in North America for 3 years or maybe more i believe, much more accommodated to the playing style.

Maybe next year or the year after we could get a first but BOB is still very young in net. Also Varlamov had injury issues with the Capitols, if not the case he would have played a lot more games

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
i mean look at that sbisa picK! we can pick dmen like its our business
lets not overpay if we dont have to.
I would say the Flyers are not exactly great at picking or developing D men. The latter part is especially true..we've been horrid. Obviously we haven't done much with goalies either....that's why we don't want to give Bob away for nothing. I do agree with Reese that Bob is somewhat equivalent to a first line center prospect. Thus you need to get a fair return. I think waiting it out will net you at least that or maybe more if a team is desperate. I think Bob will put up good numbers in spot duty since he won't be overplayed and you can then build a better case with last season's success that he's worth the Flyers price and it's not just an anomaly.

Anyway....although I would like OEL I doubt we'll get him. Flyers might just do better doing what they need to do with the D next year via FA and possibly the draft. This year focus on the offense...at least making it bigger etc. Keep our D and hope the goalie makes a big difference. Going after Stamkos to me would be overshooting at this point....we've already made some big waves. It's kind of enough...time to settle down and see how some of it plays out. Leave room at the trade deadline and then go from there if some of it is not working out. I suspect the team will be a better second half team anyway but all depends on how quick they gel. Lots of turnover and Lavy's system takes time. Luckily lots of these players will be more ammenable to playing the system and proving themselves so that may help...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I would say the Flyers are not exactly great at picking or developing D men. The latter part is especially true..we've been horrid. Obviously we haven't done much with goalies either....that's why we don't want to give Bob away for nothing. I do agree with Reese that Bob is somewhat equivalent to a first line center prospect. Thus you need to get a fair return. I think waiting it out will net you at least that or maybe more if a team is desperate. I think Bob will put up good numbers in spot duty since he won't be overplayed and you can then build a better case with last season's success that he's worth the Flyers price and it's not just an anomaly.

Anyway....although I would like OEL I doubt we'll get him. Flyers might just do better doing what they need to do with the D next year via FA and possibly the draft. This year focus on the offense...at least making it bigger etc. Keep our D and hope the goalie makes a big difference. Going after Stamkos to me would be overshooting at this point....we've already made some big waves. It's kind of enough...time to settle down and see how some of it plays out. Leave room at the trade deadline and then go from there if some of it is not working out. I suspect the team will be a better second half team anyway but all depends on how quick they gel. Lots of turnover and Lavy's system takes time. Luckily lots of these players will be more ammenable to playing the system and proving themselves so that may help...
we could do that too. Wouldn't mind trading up to pick up Murray lol or we could sign Suter. He's an underrated defenseman, probably because he's playing in a smaller market and being overshadowed by the guy who I think is the best dman in the league. Maybe we can do something with our defense eventually. Whatever we do is fine with me, as long as its not a dumb trade or overpay on a signing or something

Old
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Honestly, you're either overrating OEL, underrating Bobrovsky, or both, not to mention the 1st rounder and prospect as well. I think this is a pretty solid deal for both sides. I like OEL, that's why I want him, and he isn't worth much more if any more than this rumor
I'm doing nothing of the sort. I've watched OEL for years and both of them in the NHL. OEL is a 6-3, 200 pound defenseman who skates as smooth as Bouwmeester and provides the offensive presence of Alex Edler, with the potential to be far better than either of them. His composure for a youngster is actually scary it's so good. OEL is a special, special player - a potential franchise #1 defenseman in the NHL with size to match. Bobrovsky is a decent young goalie with potential. He doesn't have half the pedigree OEL has at their early ages. I am not underrating Bobrovksy at all - he is a good young goalie. As for the 1st pick, the Flyers 1st rounder will be in the 24-30 range most likely - so we are not talking about a top-10 pick here. And, quite frankly, outside of elite prospects like Schenn and Couturier, the Flyers have no other prospect to add to Bobrovsky and a 1st to get OEL. If you want to see how great OEL will be soon, see Alex Pietrangelo with the Blues. OEL will be as good as Pietrangelo, maybe better within 3-4 years. Teams don't trade guys like this unless they're foolish.

Old
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:

I believe it would take a lot of adding from Philly's side, but the Yotes have some nice prospect blue liners. I tend to agree with you though, doubt they'd consider moving him unless someone knocks their socks off.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:54 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I'm doing nothing of the sort. I've watched OEL for years and both of them in the NHL. OEL is a 6-3, 200 pound defenseman who skates as smooth as Bouwmeester and provides the offensive presence of Alex Edler, with the potential to be far better than either of them. His composure for a youngster is actually scary it's so good. OEL is a special, special player - a potential franchise #1 defenseman in the NHL with size to match. Bobrovsky is a decent young goalie with potential. He doesn't have half the pedigree OEL has at their early ages. I am not underrating Bobrovksy at all - he is a good young goalie. As for the 1st pick, the Flyers 1st rounder will be in the 24-30 range most likely - so we are not talking about a top-10 pick here. And, quite frankly, outside of elite prospects like Schenn and Couturier, the Flyers have no other prospect to add to Bobrovsky and a 1st to get OEL. If you want to see how great OEL will be soon, see Alex Pietrangelo with the Blues. OEL will be as good as Pietrangelo, maybe better within 3-4 years. Teams don't trade guys like this unless they're foolish.
I would pretty much agree.....if Phoenix wants to dig their grave deeper they'll trade him for what amounts to less than fair value. Having said this the Flyers could sweeten the deal. OEL is still "potential" although extremely high...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Ok who do you think we could get for that package then? Bogosian? I would rather trade Carle in that trade though...

Old
07-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

It's pretty comical how valuable young and slightly proven goaltenders have gotten around here. We aren't going to luck out the way Washington did with Varlie.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Ok who do you think we could get for that package then? Bogosian? I would rather trade Carle in that trade though...
For Bobrovsky? Well, I can see Phoenix as an interested party. I could see something more realistic like Bobrovsky for Goncharov. Or Bobrovsky and a spare part for Hanzal if Phoenix is willing to roll the dice.

Forget about that package for Bogosian. Pavelec is quite a bit better than Bobrovsky and Winnipeg doesn't need him. I think it's a safe bet that Bogosian stands pat now that the team has moved to Canada and the culture has changed.

Old
07-08-2011, 03:01 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
For Bobrovsky? Well, I can see Phoenix as an interested party. I could see something more realistic like Bobrovsky for Goncharov. Or Bobrovsky and a spare part for Hanzal if Phoenix is willing to roll the dice.
Ok that's decent. Goncharov is pretty good. Hanzal could work too. What would it take to get Gormley? I know its not just Bob but what's your opinion for him

Old
07-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
It's pretty comical how valuable young and slightly proven goaltenders have gotten around here. We aren't going to luck out the way Washington did with Varlie.
I still can't figure out how/why Colorado made such a bizarre deal. Did teams not learn anything from the Phil Kessel trade? Those picks Colorado gave up will most likely come back to royally haunt them. Varlamov is perhaps the most overrated young goalie in the National League. That package warranted a goalie like Bernier or Markstrom, not Varlamov. Granted, LA and FLA may not be willing to deal either netminder, but Colorado panicked and bought super high on an average asset.

Old
07-08-2011, 03:06 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc78258 View Post
My gut says that we can treat Bryz/Bob like Vancouver treats Lu/Schneider in the sense that we can groom Bob to be blue-chip trade bait down the line by showcasing him as he rides the pine. I disagree with the sentiment that his contract status makes him a more attractive trade piece than if we developed him in the backup role and shipped him later.
It's possible, but I don't see it happening. If I were Bob I'd request a trade when this current contract was up.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Ok that's decent. Goncharov is pretty good. Hanzal could work too. What would it take to get Gormley? I know its not just Bob but what's your opinion for him
Gormley is fantastic as well. I mean, like incredible potential and game. The Coyotes have a future Big-3 of Yandle, OEL and Gormley - and they would be crazy to move one of them unless the return was extraordinary. Goncharov is also good, with potential to be very good, but he's not in their class. He is fair value for Bobrovsky as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, unless the Flyers are willing to include a prospect like Schenn or Couturier - OEL and Gormley are off limits.

Old
07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:

I might be wrong but, part of Varlamov's average is because he has been injured several times. Varlamov was also two years younger than Bob when he played his played his first NHL games and has only had one year as a starter with 33 games in the RSL. Granted, some goalies are able to come straight into the league and play, or play at a young age.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-08-2011 at 03:26 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote