HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostitsyn signs 1 yr. 2.5 M deal

Old
07-08-2011, 02:15 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

vCash: 500
Well, I would've loved a 2 year deal, but I'll take this compromise. This is the exact amount of money I was expecting.

But I do understand the 1 year deal from Kostitsyn's end. If he matches or exceeds last season's production, then he's worth a helluva lot more than 2.5 mil.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:38 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Add 2 defensemen, a forward and call it a day.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($6.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($2.500m)
Colin Wilson ($1.725m) / Mike Fisher ($4.000m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.000m)
Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m) / Cal O'Reilly ($1.050m) / Nicklas Bergfors ($0.575m)
Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.600m) / Nick Spaling ($1.000m)
/ / Jordin Tootoo ($1.350m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($3.500m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Jonathon Blum ($0.941m) / Brett Lebda ($1.450m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($4.000m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS: J.P. Dumont ($1.333m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $56,300,000; CASH PAYROLL: $43,112,500; BONUSES: $1,325,000
CASH SPACE (20-man roster): $13,187,500
BFC, you don't want to include the bonus dollars (Geoffrion, Wilson) as they likely won't be paid.

I highly expect Lebda to be traded or buried in Milwaukee for extra salary room under the midpoint.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Don't forget about Storts.

Last two Dmen should be Weber and Josi or whoever wins the job during camp.
There is a reason why Storts is on a two-way.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
There is a reason why Storts is on a two-way.
It does give them flexibility, however I'm pretty sure they didn't acquire him to play for the Admirals.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:32 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Not bad honestly. $2.5 is okay for one year to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. Could have been a lot worse, like 2-3 years at $3M+ only to watch him score 12 goals a season. In this contract he still has incentive to perform for an even bigger payday, and if he's still an RFA next summer then his QO would by $2.75 which should definitely be an acceptable number to both sides barring something like a 30 goal season.
1) I believe he will be arbitration eligible next year also. So it not going to be just QO if his season is on same level as last.
Most likely he will be dew for long term around 4M/Y.

2) I would think Poile lost on this one as he would like to get 2-3 year contract around 2M/Y.
It looks more likely that SK was pushing for 1 year deal. That gives him more room for maneuver next year.

I also can see it as it is not SK who agreed for term. It is Poile. Poile could see that arbitrator is going to rule in players favor. That is why he was holding out till last minute trying to work it out.

SK said before that he would like to stay, he is confident about his position in Nashville, about the team, and he feels comfortable here. If he would be greedy - KHL long time ago. If he would like to leave, he would hold out till the last option.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
BFC, you don't want to include the bonus dollars (Geoffrion, Wilson) as they likely won't be paid.

I highly expect Lebda to be traded or buried in Milwaukee for extra salary room under the midpoint.
There is no bonus cushion this year due to the CBA expiration. That's why they're included.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
1) I believe he will be arbitration eligible next year also. So it not going to be just QO if his season is on same level as last.
Most likely he will be dew for long term around 4M/Y.

2) I would think Poile lost on this one as he would like to get 2-3 year contract around 2M/Y.
It looks more likely that SK was pushing for 1 year deal. That gives him more room for maneuver next year.

I also can see it as it is not SK who agreed for term. It is Poile. Poile could see that arbitrator is going to rule in players favor. That is why he was holding out till last minute trying to work it out.

SK said before that he would like to stay, he is confident about his position in Nashville, about the team, and he feels comfortable here. If he would be greedy - KHL long time ago. If he would like to leave, he would hold out till the last option.
I dont think poile lost at all. Poile might have liked several years at 2.5 but i also think he wont mind a prove it season wherein sk either proves hes worth big bucks or doesnt. The deal signed today gives poile some leverage since he will still be an rfa.

I think SK and his agent saw a possble arbitration ruling in their favor as still a possible problem if poile chose to walk away.

This deal is pretty good for everyone.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:21 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
There is no bonus cushion this year due to the CBA expiration. That's why they're included.

It's a safe bet that our guys won't reach the levels required in the CBA for league mandated bonuses. Bonuses don't count towards the cap if the players don't earn them ... cushion or not. The cushion only effected teams at the cap limit, not a Preds concern.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:25 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
It does give them flexibility, however I'm pretty sure they didn't acquire him to play for the Admirals.
Have you watched Stortini in the past several years? He sucks as a player and a fighter. He's Belak without the fighting skills. Stortini spent half of last season in the AHL as part of the Oilers organization. He couldn't crack the top 12 on the last place team in the league.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:49 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It's a safe bet that our guys won't reach the levels required in the CBA for league mandated bonuses. Bonuses don't count towards the cap if the players don't earn them ... cushion or not. The cushion only effected teams at the cap limit, not a Preds concern.
Yeppers.

One day, maybe the Predators can worry about such things.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:50 PM
OpenWheel

Stuff such as what Jeremy Gover wrote at section303 is ticking me off a little. Saying Poile had to pay substantially more due to a qualifying offer mistake. It only makes me ticked (why care what some blogger misunderstands) because I've seen his blog claim cited already. Gover thinks if we were only getting one year that we were going to sign Kostitsysn for a 10 percent raise... I wonder if Gover knows Sergei didn't have to sign for a ten percent raise? Does he know offer sheets can be made by other teams to RFAs? (For no compensation for a $1 million offer, up to 1.57 million would be a 3rd round pick, up to 3.1 mill the comp would be a 2nd rounder) Did he know that Sergei had filed for arbitration? Does he know that O'Reilly also signed for more than a ten percent raise, yet only for one year? So supposedly that difference was overpayment due to a Poile 'mistake'?

We have no idea if Poile made any mistake with the qualifying offer. Only that the players unon thought they saw something. And even with a valid offer, Sergei was going to get a very substantial raise. Not ten percent. Maybe the pending greivance arbitration raised the amount, or maybe it didn't affect it at all and this is what the signing would have been regardless.

Quote:
... Kostitsyn deserved a raise.

But the raise he got was a lot more substantial than what he would have gotten had the Preds filed the paperwork correctly. Any restricted free agent (with Kostitsyn’s pay scale) given a qualifying offer is set to see a 10% raise. Instead, what he got was a 450% raise.

In the end, I’d have to say this is a good deal for Nashville. Sure, since they could’ve gotten one more season out of him at far less (had the ruling gone in the team’s favor), it stings a little. ...
Gover at 303

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-08-2011 at 10:13 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:00 PM
OpenWheel

OOPS.

I see now the place I first saw it that sent me to his site was the only trackback he show so far, and that blog had zero comments. I thought I was on an NBC site. And Govers post has just one comment. So, I guess by citing it I gave it more of my stressed attention than it needed.

Oh well.

Old
07-08-2011, 08:53 PM
belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
The NHLPA wouldn't have filed a grievance if they didn't have a legit case, which means something went wrong somewhere.
Seriously?

The union maybe wants to clarify something. More likely they want to lay some groundwork for a future contractual change. In the process, they want to remind their membership the union is relevant.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:55 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Gover would have been right had sk not had arbitration rights. If he had been coming off his entry level contract without arb rights we could have signed him for a ten percent raise. But with arb rights we very well could have seen an award of substantially more than the 2.5 that he agreed to. Gover should do a little more research if hes going to post as an authority

Old
07-08-2011, 09:08 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Not bad honestly. $2.5 is okay for one year to prove that last season wasn't a fluke. Could have been a lot worse, like 2-3 years at $3M+ only to watch him score 12 goals a season. In this contract he still has incentive to perform for an even bigger payday, and if he's still an RFA next summer then his QO would by $2.75 which should definitely be an acceptable number to both sides barring something like a 30 goal season.
Not bad? I would say a hell of a deal. I am shocked that Sergei agreed to a 1 year deal and still be an RFA. I guess Sergei isn't the selfish ******* I've been hearing from multiple people.

However, kudos to Poile for pulling this off. A huge win for the Preds in this deal. I hope Sergei kicks some major ass and proves to some of you all that he deserves a huge contract.

Now onto Weber.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:10 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Gover would have been right had sk not had arbitration rights. If he had been coming off his entry level contract without arb rights we could have signed him for a ten percent raise.
Not with the possiblity of Sergei being offer sheeted. At one million they'd get him for 'free' as far as draft pick compensation. That's already about an 80% raise, not a 10% raise. And I have to believe many teams would think he was worth the third round pick for an offer up to 1.5 million. And so on.

Or, he could have not agreed to sign for a ten percent raise even on the miracle no other team made an offer, and even if he didn't have arbitration. A qualifying offer doesn't mean he signs, it's not an automatic one year extension of a contract, he has to sign it. Unless I missed something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
But with arb rights we very well could have seen an award of substantially more than the 2.5 that he agreed to. ...
I don't think by a lot. If Sergei thought so, he had little to lose by waiting for that arbitration. I thought the way over 3 million numbers were a stretch. Because the arbitrator would value him as an RFA. The arbitrator would know that anything over 3.1 million teams would not only have to pay the 3.1+ million salary but also a 1st round draft pick as compensation. So how many would do that, especially not knowing if he was as good for their team as he was for us? And knowing Nashville might match and the offer sheet may only harm future trades with Nashville. Maybe if he had been declared an UFA he would have had much more, but the number he signed for doesn't make it appear that Poile was too worried about that grievance, or that Sergei thought he was going to be declared an unrestricted free agent.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-08-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old
07-08-2011, 09:19 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Not with the possiblity of Sergei being offer sheeted. At one million they'd get him for 'free' as far as draft pick compensation. That's already about an 80% raise, not a 10% raise. And I have to believe many teams would think he was worth the third round pick for an offer up to 1.5 million. And so on.

Or, he could have not agreed to sign for a ten percent raise even on the miracle no other team made an offer, and even if he didn't have arbitration. A qualifying offer doesn't mean he signs, it's not an automatic extension of a contract, he has to sign. Unless I missed something.
You are correct. If we had tried to stick to the ten percent raise he likely would have been offer sheeted. And if he didnt accept his qo and nobody offersheeted him he couldnt pay in the nhl. He would have had to holdout and hope. But your point is even more proof that gover was way off base.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:39 PM
predfan98

well, we get so little "newspaper" type news on the predators, that the bloggers that a lot of us follow have become our "news", when it's hard to remember sometimes that it is just their opinion.............and unless they are quoting someone at the preds.... that's all it is.

and here's a case of opinion........

(not that a lot of newspaper articles aren't just opinion, also...LOL)

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
well, we get so little "newspaper" type news on the predators, that the bloggers that a lot of us follow have become our "news", when it's hard to remember sometimes that it is just their opinion.............and unless they are quoting someone at the preds.... that's all it is.

and here's a case of opinion........

(not that a lot of newspaper articles aren't just opinion, also...LOL)
Unfortunately in this case it appears his opinion was based on a misunderstanding of the facts.

Old
07-08-2011, 10:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
\.
I keep the bonus cushion only because it's a nice 'oh ****' buffer and the league pays rookie bonuses don't they?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote