HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Inline/Roller Hockey Thread

Old
07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Bexlyspeed

vCash: 500
I played in outdoor Roller Leagues here in Queens NY for years, but i have to say i think they all dried up as of the mid 00's, i think there may be one or two in Brooklyn and indoor ones on Long Island but other than that the rinks in queens are filled with soccer players and the occasional people just passing around. its kind of sad.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
I played in outdoor Roller Leagues here in Queens NY for years, but i have to say i think they all dried up as of the mid 00's, i think there may be one or two in Brooklyn and indoor ones on Long Island but other than that the rinks in queens are filled with soccer players and the occasional people just passing around. its kind of sad.
Plenty of good pickup on the weekends.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Renbarg

And I'm wincing at the thought of no elbow pads if you are playing at a semi-hard pace (i.e. not pickup). Its not so much the shots that scare me but if you get tripped up while skating backwards (which happens fairly often) the brunt of your fall will always be on your elbows. I've had some pretty nasty welts the size of tennis balls growing out of my elbow like a tumor (once because of hockey and once because i got body slammed playing football).

I could play with a jock, shins and elbows, everything is unessential.

Quote:
When do I know when my wheels are no longer fit for playing? Indoor wheels, there are some small cracks in the wheel but no chipping yet.
Depends on the hardness, if they are soft they will break on you any second now so you might as well get em changed. If they are hard I don't change them if I don't feel the "chips" when I skate, but if I do I'll change them.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:22 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Anybody play or used to play NCRHA?

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
And I'm wincing at the thought of no elbow pads if you are playing at a semi-hard pace (i.e. not pickup). Its not so much the shots that scare me but if you get tripped up while skating backwards (which happens fairly often) the brunt of your fall will always be on your elbows. I've had some pretty nasty welts the size of tennis balls growing out of my elbow like a tumor (once because of hockey and once because i got body slammed playing football).

I could play with a jock, shins and elbows, everything is unessential.

Depends on the hardness, if they are soft they will break on you any second now so you might as well get em changed. If they are hard I don't change them if I don't feel the "chips" when I skate, but if I do I'll change them.
I play forward for the sole reason that I don't skate backwards that great so it doesn't really affect me that much. In fact, I got tripped up pretty good getting out of the zone landed on my elbows and nothing happened (except me yelling at the ref for the atrocious non-call).

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Ozz

Inline here, I play with elbow pads but no cup. I recently bought one advertised as the "most comfortable in the world", and of course it didn't deliver. It stressed the hell out of my inner legs.

The league has everything listed as mandatory but I figure the last thing they'll actively check for is a nut-cover. Missing elbow pads are much easier to spot.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:08 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Inline here, I play with elbow pads but no cup. I recently bought one advertised as the "most comfortable in the world", and of course it didn't deliver. It stressed the hell out of my inner legs.

The league has everything listed as mandatory but I figure the last thing they'll actively check for is a nut-cover. Missing elbow pads are much easier to spot.
Elbow pads and a cup are those things you need about 1 in 30 games, but when you do, you will be glad you wore them the other 29!

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:37 AM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Bump!

When do I know when my wheels are no longer fit for playing? Indoor wheels, there are some small cracks in the wheel but no chipping yet.
It all depends on how they feel. As long as you're getting a good push with them and not sliding too much when you stop than you should be fine. You can also switch the sides of you wheels if the one side (inside) are getting too worn down. I just did this.

As for the equipment I wear shin and elbow pads, cup, helmet, and gloves. I never felt restricted from wearing any of my equipment, especially since in ice you wear a lot more.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Plenty of good pickup on the weekends.

where? when?

Old
07-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
where? when?
youre in NY, so Ave F and McDonald Ave in brooklyn is always a good pickup

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Elbow pads and a cup are those things you need about 1 in 30 games, but when you do, you will be glad you wore them the other 29!
Definitely. I know I'm going to feel stupid if/when I end up wishing I had the cup on, but I will hope for the best when that time comes. Until then at least my elbows are safe

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
youre in NY, so Ave F and McDonald Ave in brooklyn is always a good pickup
yeah but i am in queens and its a pretty good hike for me.

about 5 years about i was playing in BK in a schoolyard somewhere (i think it was 5th ave not far from downtown BK) but not sure if those guys still play there.

thanks for the info

Old
07-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Mully12
John Jackson!

Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
I play roller out here in Phoenix, 4 on 4, no offsides or icing. Starting to realize my endurance is nowhere near what it used to be (played soccer for 16 years but have taken a few years off as I couldn't really find a league out here I liked). I was wondering if anyone had a good Stamina + Speed training program that works pretty well for them, trying to get back in shape is a *****. Not looking for some intense work out but just something that will gradually improve my endurance and speed. Thanks in advance.

Mully12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
44germany
Rookie User

i could recommend you a 20 minute workout on your hometrainer. the first four minutes you have to pedal at about 100 watt for a relaxed warmup. then you have to pedal 30 seconds as fast as you can at about 300 watt. the next 30 seconds you should peadal in a lower frequency at about 100 watt to recover yourself. repeat this until you finished 16 minutes. this workout feels like playing a periode in the stanley cup final.

44germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:05 PM
2faded

[QUOTE=dick341;29004736]i was the same way a couple of years ago. i only wore a helmet, shins, and gloves, but then i found a nice set of elbow pads that didn't restrict movement and a cup that fit. Now i don't play so timid anymore. I still can't stand wearing a girdle because it feels too restrictive.

Finally check the youth section?

Anyways, my buddy on my team plays with no shingaurds. Idk, its just the way he's always played.

I also don't like padded girdles. I just have some spandex like shorts with a cup built it. Itech maybe? Idk.Fits tight, normal movement.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 09:48 AM
esuhock22

[QUOTE=2faded;34914357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick341 View Post
i was the same way a couple of years ago. i only wore a helmet, shins, and gloves, but then i found a nice set of elbow pads that didn't restrict movement and a cup that fit. Now i don't play so timid anymore. I still can't stand wearing a girdle because it feels too restrictive.

Finally check the youth section?

Anyways, my buddy on my team plays with no shingaurds. Idk, its just the way he's always played.

I also don't like padded girdles. I just have some spandex like shorts with a cup built it. Itech maybe? Idk.Fits tight, normal movement.
Yeah, spandex shorts are the way to go. They are so much comfier. As for not wearing any shin pads, does he play with a ball or something?

Old
07-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Ajax02
Sauce.

Kinda off-topic, but thought I'd keep it in this thread rather than start a new one.

Anyone got any good 4 on 3 penalty kill strategies?
My team is getting killed on the PK, need some ideas as to how we should be playing the PK.

Ajax02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:12 AM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwan20 View Post
Kinda off-topic, but thought I'd keep it in this thread rather than start a new one.

Anyone got any good 4 on 3 penalty kill strategies?
My team is getting killed on the PK, need some ideas as to how we should be playing the PK.
This is how my team does it:

1 forward, 2 defensemen. That fowards job is to play up front and give a little pressure to the Powerplay QB's/Defensemen, but his main job is to keep those two guys up top to the outside. Rotate towards the puck carrier a little, but don't leave the backside exposed.

The two defensemen are pretty much playing man to man on the guys down low. Obviously, clearing the front of the net. If the opposing PP has a guy set up along the circles like he is going to one time it, let him. Chances are he's not good enough.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:35 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
This is how my team does it:

1 forward, 2 defensemen. That fowards job is to play up front and give a little pressure to the Powerplay QB's/Defensemen, but his main job is to keep those two guys up top to the outside. Rotate towards the puck carrier a little, but don't leave the backside exposed.

The two defensemen are pretty much playing man to man on the guys down low. Obviously, clearing the front of the net. If the opposing PP has a guy set up along the circles like he is going to one time it, let him. Chances are he's not good enough.
My team has a decent goalie, so we let him handle the long shots. I'm usually pressuring the Points. The d are clearing and keeping an eye on the front. As long as the goalie is able to see it he makes the saves. I would say we have a pretty good PKing crew for roller hockey. I think my buddy said we have let in three goals on about 28 PPs. Basically we do the same thing as you. Only our d don't pressure the guys on the side. When they do they keep the blade of their stick in front of theirs. If they one-time it it goes out of play.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:17 PM
OpenIceHit42

I played B division college (STLCC-Meramec), and still play at a pretty high level now in Narch and Torhs and some pretty good leagues around the STL area, I've played with a girdle for a few years now after a guy on my team took a slapshot to the upper thigh and it caused a blood clot that nearly killed him. I've played pickup without it just messing around and honestly I did not feel any difference in the weight/skating restrictions. I guess it depends on what kind of girdle you are wearing? Some are a-lot lighter then others.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:18 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUBLUES09 View Post
Anybody play or used to play NCRHA?
I didn't see your post until after I just posted but I used to play for STLCC Meramec

Old
07-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
I played B division college (STLCC-Meramec), and still play at a pretty high level now in Narch and Torhs and some pretty good leagues around the STL area, I've played with a girdle for a few years now after a guy on my team took a slapshot to the upper thigh and it caused a blood clot that nearly killed him. I've played pickup without it just messing around and honestly I did not feel any difference in the weight/skating restrictions. I guess it depends on what kind of girdle you are wearing? Some are a-lot lighter then others.
You going to Narch this year?

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
You going to Narch this year?

I am not, it was either Narch or Puckfest which is here next weekend and I decided to stay home and play in Puckfest. The guys I usually play with will be there this weekend as Team Dirt.

Old
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
intangible

I played NCRHA. Believe I may still hold a few goaltending records there, too, though I don't pay attention to inline anymore.

I'll be playing Puckfest down here in St. Louis, too.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2011, 03:28 PM
esuhock22

Anyone know much about the AIHL? A friend of mine on fb posted a link to some team that plays in the league and I was just wondering if anyone plays or knows anything about it. Says the team is holding open tryouts and I was curious as to how high the skill and compete level is.