HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sources say Flyers shopping goalie Bobrovsky

Old
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Gormley is fantastic as well. I mean, like incredible potential and game. The Coyotes have a future Big-3 of Yandle, OEL and Gormley - and they would be crazy to move one of them unless the return was extraordinary. Goncharov is also good, with potential to be very good, but he's not in their class. He is fair value for Bobrovsky as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, unless the Flyers are willing to include a prospect like Schenn or Couturier - OEL and Gormley are off limits.
Ok so what about an offer of Bobrovsky, Legein, and a 2nd for Hanzal and Pyatt. I think that would be a pretty good deal. They get their goalie, a decent prospect who hasn't really panned out yet but I still have hope for him, and a mid 2nd round pick. We get a pretty good goal scorer and a penalty killer, which we really need after getting rid of Powe.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:25 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
OEL?

I would give up more than Bob to get him. Kid is a blue chip talent.

Wouldn't include Schenn or Couturier cause that is just silly, but I would do Bob and our 1st next year for OEL. Phoenix probably wouldn't but who knows.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
Ok so what about an offer of Bobrovsky, Legein, and a 2nd for Hanzal and Pyatt. I think that would be a pretty good deal. They get their goalie, a decent prospect who hasn't really panned out yet but I still have hope for him, and a mid 2nd round pick. We get a pretty good goal scorer and a penalty killer, which we really need after getting rid of Powe.
That is more practical, but can Philly fit all those players if Schenn makes the big club? There are many new faces - Jagr, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Talbot, Sestito. I can see Hanzal coming in and Betts being waived/traded, but not sure about Pyatt.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Goalie value sucks, and if Bryzgalov got hurt, I don't trust anyone other then Bob.
If Bryz gets hurt and misses a significant amount of time, its safe to say that we would be ****ed if we traded Bob.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
That is more practical, but can Philly fit all those players if Schenn makes the big club? There are many new faces - Jagr, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Talbot, Sestito. I can see Hanzal coming in and Betts being waived/traded, but not sure about Pyatt.
What are there positions and salary? They are both centers, right? We have about 2 mil in cap yet I believe.

Old
07-08-2011, 03:38 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
The rumor I heard (yes its me again so I have no link lol and I think it was a rumor and not just speculation) was Bob and a pick to Phoenix for Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He seems like a good young dman and we are thinking about youth, it seems, so I wouldn't mind doing this deal. Yeah we lose Bob, who is awesome and I really like him, but I'm sure he doesn't want to sit on the bench for 60 games and I'm sure he would understand that we trade him to Phoenix where he can play more games.
I doubt the Flyers would get OEL for Bob. If anything, they'll probably end up with someone like Chris Summers or Brandon Gormley for Bob. I think OEL and Yandle are the two blue liners Phoenix is going to build around. I wouldn't mind either one of Summers or Gormley though. If the Flyers are going to retool on the fly, why not get a top flight defensive prospect for a goaltender who has shown that he can be a number one guy.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
To be honest, Versteeg at $3 on our 3rd line is looking way better to me then Talbot at $1.8.

Unless Holmgrem has another move up his sleeve.
Why the Talbot hate? He's exactly what this team needed. Solid penalty kill, great locker room guy. Lengths of contract are largely irrelevant these days. He's overpaid a little, but worth it for the qualities he brings IMO

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Why the Talbot hate? He's exactly what this team needed. Solid penalty kill, great locker room guy. Lengths of contract are largely irrelevant these days. He's overpaid a little, but worth it for the qualities he brings IMO
I can't agree with you more. Talbot is significantly more valuable to Philly than Versteeg. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter if their contracts were a wash.

Old
07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Agreed on Talbot.

I like the player. Money is fair. Only thing I don't like is the term, but Max is only like 27 so it's not like we just handed out a 5 year deal to a 31 year old.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 03:47 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Ok we can do this for our forwards:
JvR-Giroux-Jagr
Hartnell-Briere-Voracek
Simmonds-Hanzal-Schenn
Pyatt-Talbot-Sestito
On d we use Lilja or Gustafsson, whoever is cheaper. Take a cheap backup goalie we should be fine. Those are some good forward lines

Old
07-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Gibbs18

I would love to see the Bryz/Bob combo. I feel that Bob will learn so much from Bryz that his game would improve a little. Give him around 20-25 starts a year and see how he does. Bryz has already said he looks forward to playing with Bob. They are both russian so they will connect and talk. I think we should keep Bob unless we get a steal for him.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
I would love to see the Bryz/Bob combo. I feel that Bob will learn so much from Bryz that his game would improve a little. Give him around 20-25 starts a year and see how he does. Bryz has already said he looks forward to playing with Bob. They are both russian so they will connect and talk. I think we should keep Bob unless we get a steal for him.
This sounds solid in theory but in reality the issue is Bobrovsky will not be content being a backup for 7-9 seasons. He is also the 2nd highest paid backup in the league - with his 1.75m cap hit. So, chances are he would leave for the KHL after a year or two of riding the pine. Meanwhile, the Flyers get nothing for an asset that has value right now - and all the while are stuck paying a backup close to 2m in a salary capped league. The best thing Philly could do is turn Bobrovsky into a very good asset (preferably on defense) and sign a backup goalie for no more than a 1m cap hit.

Old
07-08-2011, 04:09 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
This sounds solid in theory but in reality the issue is Bobrovsky will not be content being a backup for 7-9 seasons. He is also the 2nd highest paid backup in the league - with his 1.75m cap hit. So, chances are he would leave for the KHL after a year or two of riding the pine. Meanwhile, the Flyers get nothing for an asset that has value right now - and all the while are stuck paying a backup close to 2m in a salary capped league. The best thing Philly could do is turn Bobrovsky into a very good asset (preferably on defense) and sign a backup goalie for no more than a 1m cap hit.
Very, very good point. Some say he can take over in 2-3 years but why such a long contract for Bryz then? Also, if we can't get OEL or Gormley, there are plenty of other options to trade him in a package for a different dman like Bogosian, or a very long shot in Luke Schenn. Lol that won't work too well though because they won't trade him for pretty much anything

Old
07-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Very, very good point. Some say he can take over in 2-3 years but why such a long contract for Bryz then? Also, if we can't get OEL or Gormley, there are plenty of other options to trade him in a package for a different dman like Bogosian, or a very long shot in Luke Schenn. Lol that won't work too well though because they won't trade him for pretty much anything
Players like OEL, Gormley, Bogosian and Schenn cannot be had for a young backup like Bobrovsky. Those type of acquisitions are wishful thinking and not realistic. They are young kids with thick pedigree right now. Also consider the potential trading partners you are talking about:

Schenn (Toronto) - They have their own very good, young goalie in James Reimer. They have no need for Bobrovsky whatsoever. None.

Bogosian (Winnipeg) - Pavelec is more established than Reimer/Bobrovsky and he is currently one of the better young goalies in the National League.

OEL/Gormley (Phoenix) - They have a need for Bobrovsky, no doubt. But I find it hard to believe they would panic and move a blue chip (like either of those players) for Bobrovsky. If you are talking about Bernier, Markstrom or Rask, perhaps - but Bobrovsky is not regarded nearly as high as those guys.

And before Ottawa becomes a suggested trading partner for Bobrovsky (because of their flock of young D - Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen and Wiercioch), please note they have a brilliant, young goalie in their system named Robin Lehner.

Old
07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I doubt Bobrovsky would get moved for Bogosian. Last thing Winterpeg needs is goaltending. They have that in Pavelec and Mason. What about Anaheim? With Hillier's status unknown, for sure the Flyers could deal Bob there and get a good young defender (Sbisa). I could certainly live with that.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:30 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Players like OEL, Gormley, Bogosian and Schenn cannot be had for a young backup like Bobrovsky. Those type of acquisitions are wishful thinking and not realistic. They are young kids with thick pedigree right now. Also consider the potential trading partners you are talking about:

Schenn (Toronto) - They have their own very good, young goalie in James Reimer. They have no need for Bobrovsky whatsoever. None.

Bogosian (Winnipeg) - Pavelec is more established than Reimer/Bobrovsky and he is currently one of the better young goalies in the National League.

OEL/Gormley (Phoenix) - They have a need for Bobrovsky, no doubt. But I find it hard to believe they would panic and move a blue chip (like either of those players) for Bobrovsky. If you are talking about Bernier, Markstrom or Rask, perhaps - but Bobrovsky is not regarded nearly as high as those guys.

And before Ottawa becomes a suggested trading partner for Bobrovsky (because of their flock of young D - Karlsson, Rundblad, Cowen and Wiercioch), please note they have a brilliant, young goalie in their system named Robin Lehner.
I knew Toronto wouldn't work lol I was just kidding about that one and I forgot about Pavelec's breakout year last season. I knew Lehner was coming up for Ottawa so I didn't want to mention them and the rest I meant we could put some kind of package together for them. Maybe we could trade with the Stars for Oleksiak. I know Campbell is coming up for them, but it might be another year or two. Anaheim we could get Sbisa from, just because Hiller has been somewhat injury prone. Any other suggestions from anybody?

Old
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I doubt Bobrovsky would get moved for Bogosian. Last thing Winterpeg needs is goaltending. They have that in Pavelec and Mason. What about Anaheim? With Hillier's status unknown, for sure the Flyers could deal Bob there and get a good young defender (Sbisa). I could certainly live with that.....
Good thought, although the Ducks have their own "Bob" in Igor Bobkov - who looked very impressive as a youngster for Metallurg Jr. I'm not sure the Ducks are willing to give up a quality young defenseman like Sbisa for the insurance policy Bobrovsky would provide for Hiller. But, if the Ducks were willing to move young D for Bobrovsky - Justin Schultz would look real good in Philly's system.

Old
07-08-2011, 04:33 PM
mirimon

Bobrovsky has a salary of 900.000 the rest of his cap hit is due to potential bonuses. Assuming that there will be a bonus cushion in 2012-13, he won't be the backup with the biggest cap hit after this season.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:33 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

The more we discuss this, the more I want to keep Bob. A lot of the teams with good defense prospects don't need goalies (mainly Ottawa because they have the best defense prospects imo)

Old
07-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
I knew Toronto wouldn't work lol I was just kidding about that one and I forgot about Pavelec's breakout year last season. I knew Lehner was coming up for Ottawa so I didn't want to mention them and the rest I meant we could put some kind of package together for them. Maybe we could trade with the Stars for Oleksiak. I know Campbell is coming up for them, but it might be another year or two. Anaheim we could get Sbisa from, just because Hiller has been somewhat injury prone. Any other suggestions from anybody?
Man, you're killing it with Bobrovsky. Dallas has a fantastic and proven young goalie in Kari Lehtonen and a gem like Jack Campbell waiting in the wings. The truth is, when you do a realistic audit of NHL teams, the market for a player like Bobrovsky isn't that healthy. You shouldn't be fooled by what Colorado foolishly gave up for Varlamov - that is not practical. If it were, Buffalo would have flipped Enroth for that type of package a while ago. Some member of the Avalanche brass lost their mind with that transaction.

Old
07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Man, you're killing it with Bobrovsky. Dallas has a fantastic and proven young goalie in Kari Lehtonen and a gem like Jack Campbell waiting in the wings. The truth is, when you do a realistic audit of NHL teams, the market for a player like Bobrovsky isn't that healthy. You shouldn't be fooled by what Colorado foolishly gave up for Varlamov - that is not practical. If it were, Buffalo would have flipped Enroth for that type of package a while ago. Some member of the Avalanche brass lost their mind with that transaction.
I'm just trying to come up with suggestions. Not many of these are meant to be straight up but more like I put one player from each team to start the deal off. I also brought up Dallas because Lehtonen is somewhat injury prone

Old
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Bobrovsky has a salary of 900.000 the rest of his cap hit is due to potential bonuses. Assuming that there will be a bonus cushion in 2012-13, he won't be the backup with the biggest cap hit after this season.
This is accurate. Bobrovsky's bonus is guaranteed for next season unless he is sent to the AHL - which is highly unlikely because he would need to clear waivers in order to be recalled by Philly. As it stands now, Bobrovsky comes with a 1.75m cap hit next year, and a .9m cap hit in 2012-13. Unfortunately, this makes him a major KHL flight risk after the season unless he's a starter on another NHL team.

Old
07-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
I'm just trying to come up with suggestions. Not many of these are meant to be straight up but more like I put one player from each team to start the deal off. I also brought up Dallas because Lehtonen is somewhat injury prone
Phoenix is a viable trading partner for Philly. But the return will not be someone the level of OEL unless Couturier is packing his suntan lotion with Bobrovsky. If the Coyotes offered Holmgren Martin Hanzal or Max Goncharov for Sergei Bobrovsky tonight, does he take it? He should.

Old
07-08-2011, 04:55 PM
mirimon

Quote:
This is accurate. Bobrovsky's bonus is guaranteed for next season unless he is sent to the AHL - which is highly unlikely because he would need to clear waivers in order to be recalled by Philly. As it stands now, Bobrovsky comes with a 1.75m cap hit next year, and a .9m cap hit in 2012-13. Unfortunately, this makes him a major KHL flight risk after the season unless he's a starter on another NHL team.
As far as I understand, he is not guaranteed any bonuses this year either. It's just that there's no bonus cushion since this is the final year of the cba.

Same goes for Schenn. He will have to have one hell of a season to actually earn all of the 3.11M that is his cap hit.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Quote:
Phoenix is a viable trading partner for Philly. But the return will not be someone the level of OEL unless Couturier is packing his suntan lotion with Bobrovsky. If the Coyotes offered Holmgren Martin Hanzal or Max Goncharov for Sergei Bobrovsky tonight, does he take it? He should.
I think my favorite deal is the one with Hanzal and Pyatt coming to Philly. They both fit our needs. I'm not sure if they would want Legein and a 2nd or something else but I know they don't want to have Mike Smith as their starting goalie