HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fehr traded to Winnipeg for 4th rd pick and Paquette

Old
07-08-2011, 05:33 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I don't see the comparison between Fleischmann and Fehr healthwise in terms of Fleischmann's health at the time of the trade.
Fehr was said to be ready for TC.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:37 PM
discobob

wish we could have gotten a 3rd or better, but Fehr on the 3rd/4th line didn't really make much sense for us...

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Fehr was said to be ready for TC.
The only person I've heard say that was the dude who just traded him. (maybe others have reported he'd be ready too...) To me, three shoulder surgeries is just such a major concern in hockey and at $2.2M I didn't want to rely on him. GM apparently felt the same.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
$2.2M for what could have been their 4RW is poor value.

This clears more of a regular spot for Sjogren/Eakin/Beagle I suppose but I'd also prefer another cheap well-rounded veteran with lineup versatility.
Vinny Prospal might make a lot of sense to add for a 2nd/3rd line role. Same with Cory Stillman.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:43 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Flash wasn't?
No Flash wasn't. He had a blood clot that was thought to be caused by his plane ride home. Otherwise, he was a healthy hockey player.

Fehr nearly lost his career to a mysterious back problem that still plagues him. He also has had *three* shoulder surgeries in the past two years. That's two chronic injuries in two areas vital for a hockey player like Fehr, and every GM knows it.

Apples and oranges.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:45 PM
sunnydaycrash

Something else to remember, that 4th from Atlanta will likely be a high 4th pick.
I`m surprised people expected more in the trade. Fehr has some major shoulder issues, damaged goods will not get you a high pick.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Robert Theodorson

Fehr never developed into what he was suppose to become

A 1st line power forward that could use his size to destroy bodies and put up 30+ goals a season.

I don't think he will again, I won't miss him.

For one last time let's review who was drafted AFTER Fehr

-Ryan Getzlaf
-Brent Burns
-Ryan Kesler
-Mike Richards
-Corey Perry

And that's just in the 1st round, look for a certain defensemen in the 2nd and your head will explode.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:48 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

the jets can gamble on eric fehr's health considering they're projecting as a bubble playoff team. the caps look like they're positioning for a really strong push this year. they can't gamble on fehr's health, semin's streaky play, green's health, AND backstrom's recent playoff no-show.

i would guess that they're stashing cap space, playing a kid who has a strong camp, and picking up a playoff stud RW late in the season ...although whoever said 'owen nolan' sees into my heart of hearts, even if it's a dumb sentimental idea.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Fehr never developed into what he was suppose to become

A 1st line power forward that could use his size to destroy bodies and put up 30+ goals a season.

I don't think he will again, I won't miss him.

For one last time let's review who was drafted AFTER Fehr

-Ryan Getzlaf
-Brent Burns
-Ryan Kesler
-Mike Richards
-Corey Perry

And that's just in the 1st round, look for a certain defensemen in the 2nd and your
head will explode.
You're probably right that drafting Fehr was the wrong decision, but either way all the decisions we made prior to the 04 draft led to us getting the number one pick to draft a generational player in Ovechkin. Maybe drafting one of those guys wouldn't have changed our draft position by why risk it?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I have a suspicion that this move was somewhat done with a "let's send Fehr where he would want to go"

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I have a suspicion that this move was somewhat done with a "let's send Fehr where he would want to go"
I still can't believe no one wanted to give up two first round picks for TFS.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
You're probably right that drafting Fehr was the wrong decision, but either way all the decisions we made prior to the 04 draft led to us getting the number one pick to draft a generational player in Ovechkin. Maybe drafting one of those guys wouldn't have changed our draft position by why risk it?
Yeah, the sort of analysis you quoted makes no sense whatsoever. Hindsight is 20/20, and there's a chance we wouldn't have Backstrom or Alzner had one of those other players been taken. Shea Weber was drafted in the 2nd round. Woe is me. There were 29 other GMs that passed him over, some twice.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:18 PM
IafrateOvie34

My only dislike of the trade is the value back. I can understand them trading him though because of his injuries and not ever getting a real chance on the top 2 lines. Add in the fact, the doctors prognosis of Fehr's shoulders that GMGM knows more about than we do. Schultz is healthy, so having the healthy body makes sense to keep. Now that this trade is over, I can see Eakin getting in the lineup this year. I think Semin is going to stay a cap for the entire season/playoffs unless another club offers a lot. Getting Alzner resigned is the most important thing this club needs to finish and hopefully this will end all the stupid, bs posts about RFA offers for Alzner. I do love the fact Fehr is going to Winnipeg. I can't wait for realignment next year.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:25 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, the sort of analysis you quoted makes no sense whatsoever. Hindsight is 20/20, and there's a chance we wouldn't have Backstrom or Alzner had one of those other players been taken. Shea Weber was drafted in the 2nd round. Woe is me. There were 29 other GMs that passed him over, some twice.
That is the bizarre thing about drafting in the NHL. Doug Wickenheiser, Bonsignore, Daigle, and Kharlamov are prime examples of high picks that were a fail. When Fehr was drafted, he was projected to be a huge sniper prospect, a can't miss kid. The injury things happen and nobody can predict those things. I think of Pat Peake. He was another player who had the skills, but his injuries just hobbled him horribly. Some years you win in the draft, some you don't.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:37 PM
bonzaibondra12

I don't understand why a guy coming off a 20 pt season has much value.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You give him away for nothing because you need the cap space, and he plays the deepest position, by far, on the team.
On top of that I think you were right when you said part of it was doing Fehr a solid.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:05 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Not a fan.

Idiot coach.

Best of luck fehr!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:25 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
On top of that I think you were right when you said part of it was doing Fehr a solid.
They don't need space yet and you don't "do players a solid" by hurting your own team.

I thought they might move Fehr, but not now and not for magic beans.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:33 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Fehr rarely got to play with a playmaking center. He is such a logical candidate for one, he is a gunner and not much else. It says something that he had a nice run with great goals per TOI number. Injuries set him back and George cut the cord. I think Fehr in Peg with a scoring line role is good for 15G+ this year. Shoulders optional.

Our lines are becoming clearer...

OBK | Bro Laich Semin | Chimera MJ Ward | Hendricks Halpern Beagle
King

Laich at wing pushes Halpern to 3C and Beagle/Sjogren/Eakin to 4C. Not sure where Brouwer goes.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:42 PM
txpd

my read is that as long as fehr was ticketed to start the season on ltir along with poti mcphee had some flexibility to keep him. between the old horse knuble and the injury prone semin there was a reasonable chance that injuries would open up a chance to keep him.

as soon as he was ready to start camp and ltir was not an option, then mcphee needed to move someone. mcphee knows that up against the start of the season teams will have filled their holes for established players and he could get stuck.

thats my read. fehr said he was good for camp and mcphee moved him because without an injury in camp there was not spot for him.

i would also suggest that this player may have been what the calgary chatter was all about

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:50 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
All of the injury prone-must go!!!

AFAIK, Paquette is a lesser Della Rovere.

This.

I saw a lot of him when I worked for the Maineiacs in 06/07, his rookie year. He's a very SKILLED(but can't put it together), rock of a pest. He's had the same body since he was 16, a tank. Probably never make the Caps, but a great player for Hershey.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
the jets can gamble on eric fehr's health considering they're projecting as a bubble playoff team. the caps look like they're positioning for a really strong push this year. they can't gamble on fehr's health, semin's streaky play, green's health, AND backstrom's recent playoff no-show.

i would guess that they're stashing cap space, playing a kid who has a strong camp, and picking up a playoff stud RW late in the season ...although whoever said 'owen nolan' sees into my heart of hearts, even if it's a dumb sentimental idea.
They're not stashing cap space, or if so *very* little. If they're using Poti's LTIR exemption then they're sitting exactly at the cap all season. So unless Alzner comes in much cheaper than expected (sounds like that's an obvious no) or they move around more players they're still not banking anything all season.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:01 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
They don't need space yet and you don't "do players a solid" by hurting your own team.

I thought they might move Fehr, but not now and not for magic beans.
How is this hurting the team? He cant stay on the freaking ice!!! We freed up cap space from someone who is constantly hurt. You dont know the extent of his injury. It could not be progressing as they liked. You have no idea. We get it tho, we have no chance to win anything this year, everyone sucks, management, coaching and the players. Save yourself the time and us the annoyance of listening to you over and over.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

I remember watching the 2003 draft and hoping praise would fall to us after seeing him dominate the WJCS and it was looking good untill the devils traded up and got him the pick before us. Now the books are finished on the 2003 draft - fail

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:10 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
They're not stashing cap space, or if so *very* little. If they're using Poti's LTIR exemption then they're sitting exactly at the cap all season. So unless Alzner comes in much cheaper than expected (sounds like that's an obvious no) or they move around more players they're still not banking anything all season.
maybe there's a disagreement in our premises. what numbers did you use to arrive at that conclusion? every $500k of regular season cap space approximately equals $2.3M of room at the TDL.

with alzner at $2.5M, poti on LTIR, and one cheap forward in the pressbox there's ~$3.5M at the deadline. that seems to be enough for a quality player.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote