HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 TEAM Canada

Old
07-08-2011, 10:56 PM
KingKovy

vCash: 500
2014 TEAM Canada

I know it's a little early but can you predict who will be on this Supreme Team?

KingKovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:58 PM
KingKovy

Obviously, Price will be in net, Subban from what he's shown so far will make the squad.. But show me your full 18 man roster.. I personally think this will be Canada's strongest team since '87.

KingKovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Pronger, Doughty are in as of now.

Pietrangelo, Subban, Schenn, Myers, Burns, Letang and more will all be considered.

Godspeed Subbs.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:05 PM
sammy d

No I can't because its too early, try again in a couple years or so

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Didn't realize it would be so hard.

Certainly an embarrassment of riches, and that's not even including some of the young talent that will blossom between now and then. Only remotely clear picture is in net, where I think Price, Ward and Fleury have a leg up on the others at the moment.

On D, Keith, Weber and Doughty are mortal locks. Seabrook probably has an inside track as well, given team Canada's history of trying to play teammates together. Then you have Myers, Staal, Subban, Green, Pietrangelo, Schenn...

Up front is even more clogged up, especially since there's a glut of centers. Locks would be Crosby, Nash, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Perry, Toews and possibly Staal. Then they'll bring back guys like Mike Richards and possibly Bergeron for the experience and shutdown factor. After that it's anybody's guess with a bunch of young guys like Hall, Skinner, Giroux, Eberle, Tavares, Seguin and Duchene.

In short:

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Riggins

My early guess:

Hall-Crosby-Stamkos
Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry
Nash-Toews-M.Richards
Duchene-E. Staal-Giroux
Iginla

Keith-Seabrook
Weber-Doughty
M.Staal-Subban
Myers

Price
Luongo
Fleury

-----
As usual the problem is too many great centers and not enough wingers. Iggy might be washed up by that time but I put him as the 13th forward. Subban on the big ice = wow.

Last edited by Riggins: 07-08-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Riggins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Pandemic

Nash-Toews-M.Richards

This line was awesome in 2010.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:42 AM
SB164

Hall - Crosby - Stamkos

C. Stewart - Getzlaf - Perry

Sharp - Toews - Richards

Benn - E. Staal - Giroux

St-Louis
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith - Doughty

Weber - Myers

M. Staal - Subban

Pietrangelo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Price

Ward

Fleury

Last edited by SB164: 07-09-2011 at 02:02 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Boyce

surprised no Eberle ^

Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, somehow Eberle will sneak into the line-up, score clutch goals and lead Team Canada to it's 2nd consecutive goal.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:57 AM
SB164

I added the more versatile Jamie Benn over Jordan Eberle, however, 43 points in 69 games for a rookie playing in Edmonton is definitely impressive.

And Team Canada will only include so many players under 25. Whatever the case though, the future is brighter than ever for Canada.

Old
07-09-2011, 09:34 AM
MarkovsKnee

Nash - Toews - Richards was Canada's best line in 2010, so they'll all be back. Crosby, Getzlaf, Perry & Stamkos are locks too. It's also likely that Bergeron goes again. After that it gets tougher. I can't see all of Hall, Tavares & Eberle making the team. My guess is Eberle goes.

Lucic is going to be high on everyone's list, but he is so slow. He wasn't much of a factor for the Bruins in their play-off run & he would only be worse on the big ice surface. Horton and/or Chris Stewart might go instead if they want that power-forward type. Horton was absolutely clutch during these play-offs, so I can see him having the step-up over Stewart because of that.

Nash - Toews - M. Richards
E. Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Eberle - Getzlaf - Perry
XXX - Bergeron - Horton

That leaves two forwards. The final two picks are always the toughest. If they want a shift disturber than Marchand could be there, or if it's a shut-down/face-off/PK guy they want maybe Jared Staal. Another young player who will get a long look is Logan Couture. Still a bit too early.

Defense is even worse. Keith, Weber & Doughty are the only locks. After that there is a long list that includes Subban.

Price will make it as one of the 3 goalies this time.

For the Habs, I expect Patches & Eric Cole to make team U.S.A. Pleks will play for the Czech Republic again. Markov to be there for Russia. Eller probably plays for Denmark if he is allowed too & they're still in the tourney when the NHL breaks.

It's still really early.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:49 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Yeah, somehow Eberle will sneak into the line-up, score clutch goals and lead Team Canada to it's 2nd consecutive goal.
For this reason alone Eberle makes my team as well. Same could be said for Subban, when I look at all the all-star defenseman that can make this team I don't see one who is "made for the big stage" like Subban is, you just know when the chips are down he takes his game to such an elite level.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:13 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
For this reason alone Eberle makes my team as well. Same could be said for Subban, when I look at all the all-star defenseman that can make this team I don't see one who is "made for the big stage" like Subban is, you just know when the chips are down he takes his game to such an elite level.
Have you ever watched Duncan Keith?

Last edited by SB164: 07-09-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old
07-09-2011, 07:24 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Weber, Seabrook, Keith, Pronger, Doughty are in as of now.

Pietrangelo, Subban, Schenn, Myers, Burns, Letang and more will all be considered.

Godspeed Subbs.
Pronger won't make the team.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Pronger won't make the team.
Why is that? He is still one of the best defenseman in the league. Even if his level of play drops dramatically by the time the Olympics come along, he will get in on his sheer experience and veteran role. He will also receive the C or A depending on how Crosby is doing.

Old
07-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Why is that? He is still one of the best defenseman in the league. Even if his level of play drops dramatically by the time the Olympics come along, he will get in on his sheer experience and veteran role. He will also receive the C or A depending on how Crosby is doing.
Pronger is already on the decline, his mobility is going down and I'm pretty sure there is a few better defensemans available for Team Canada.

Do you really want to see a 39 years old defenseman on a olympic size rink ? It won't be pretty !

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:31 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Nash - Toews - Richards was Canada's best line in 2010, so they'll all be back. Crosby, Getzlaf, Perry & Stamkos are locks too. It's also likely that Bergeron goes again. After that it gets tougher. I can't see all of Hall, Tavares & Eberle making the team. My guess is Eberle goes.

Lucic is going to be high on everyone's list, but he is so slow. He wasn't much of a factor for the Bruins in their play-off run & he would only be worse on the big ice surface. Horton and/or Chris Stewart might go instead if they want that power-forward type. Horton was absolutely clutch during these play-offs, so I can see him having the step-up over Stewart because of that.

Nash - Toews - M. Richards
E. Staal - Crosby - Stamkos
Eberle - Getzlaf - Perry
XXX - Bergeron - Horton

That leaves two forwards. The final two picks are always the toughest. If they want a shift disturber than Marchand could be there, or if it's a shut-down/face-off/PK guy they want maybe Jared Staal. Another young player who will get a long look is Logan Couture. Still a bit too early.

Defense is even worse. Keith, Weber & Doughty are the only locks. After that there is a long list that includes Subban.

Price will make it as one of the 3 goalies this time.

For the Habs, I expect Patches & Eric Cole to make team U.S.A. Pleks will play for the Czech Republic again. Markov to be there for Russia. Eller probably plays for Denmark if he is allowed too & they're still in the tourney when the NHL breaks.

It's still really early.
I highly doubt Horton will make the team..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Frankc

Depending on his next season, Phaneuf could probably be on the team. Lot of people keep having in mind that he had 60 pts with Calgary. But he still manage to have 30 pts in 66 games last season with a +- rating of -2 on a so-so team. I think he's still pretty solid and if the leafs get a little bit better, his stats will likely be better... Just look at this points on PP in his 1rst 3 seaons in the NHL.. that's where the difference is with his total number of points last season.

And he have International experience.

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:28 PM
billy piton

nash - crosby - stamkos
hall - getzlaf - perry
duchene - toews - skinner
j.staal - m.richards - giroux
couture

pietrangelo weber
m. staal doughty
schen burns
subban

ward
price
crawford

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:17 PM
js44

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
nash - crosby - stamkos
hall - getzlaf - perry
couture

pietrangelo weber
m. staal doughty
schen burns
subban

ward
price
crawford
Where's Duncan Keith?

js44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:23 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
nash - crosby - stamkos
hall - getzlaf - perry
couture

pietrangelo weber
m. staal doughty
schen burns
subban

ward
price
crawford
Staal ... Schenn .... before Subban in 2 years ..... I dont think so

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Lucius

It's two and a half seasons away, so obviously early, but here is my early roster. Preference given to younger guys over older guys due to the time lapse involved:

Stamkos - Crosby - Perry
Nash -Getzlaf - Giroux
E. Staal - Toews - Hall
Lucic - B. Richards - M. Richards

Obviously lots of centers out of position, as per usual.

Good combo of raw offense and grit, as is traditional. Hate to throw Lucic on there, but a pure power forward doesn't otherwise exist. The lines are rather arbitrary, any of those guys could slot in anywhere.

Other names: Jeff Carter, Matt Duchene, Jeff Skinner, John Tavares, Patrick Sharp, Cammy... Plus some less proven names could force hands by then. Brayden Schenn, Eberle, any of the top picks this year or last, etc.

Defense.... That'll be tougher. All the top young guys are right handed shots, it seems.

Hamhuis - Weber
M Staal - Doughty
Myers - Subban

I wouldn't assume Pronger is too old by then either! Defense is a crapshoot, so many top end names. Fowler, Letang, Phaneuf, Schenn, Seabrook, Keith, Burns, Pietrangelo, Mike Green... I took the above for the mixture of imposing, offense, puck moving, and defensive awareness. Subban and Doughty are going to have to go that extra mile to be in the conversation, as they're the riskiest two back there. As Green showed last time, risk is not necessarily a good quality in a short tournament.

Goal?

Of course, the homer says Price starts.

Beyond him, the top of the goalie charts is shockingly devoid of Canadians these days. We really have not produced the bulk of the top goalies in a good long time. I imagine Luongo will be in the conversation, Fleury is too, as is Cam Ward. If Reimer keeps the spotlight on himself in Toronto, he could be forced into the conversation too. Today? I'd say Price, backed up by Luongo and Ward.

Quote:
ward
price
crawford
Crawford is American.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:56 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I highly doubt Horton will make the team..
He has size, can skate & is physical. The fact that he just had a great Stanley Cup series where he was very, very clutch means he's now on the radar of Team Canada. I could see him getting in before a lot of guys who are either one dimensional or lack "big" game experience. He'll also be in his prime in 2014, still only 28. Meanwhile, at age 25 he was already the #1 RW on the Stanley Cup winning team.

He's had six consecutive years of at least 20 goals or more, and his worst plus-minus was -5 while on a very crappy Florida team.

I can also see his game continuing to improve over the next two to three years. He is in the running, and I can easily see him being the "surprise" pick, although by then he may not be a surprise pick at all.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:59 PM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by js44 View Post
Where's Duncan Keith?
injured

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote