HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Selection, #16 Overall Joel Armia, RW

Old
06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
PhillyPhinn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
... also watching american tv shows helps (thank god they dont dub tv-shows here like they do in south europe, they just subtitle them).....
Even though a lot of people like to hype up our education system, the real reason for northern Europes english skills is due to not having voice-overs on TV. I personally started english in school in the 8th grade(at age 14), and have only studied it for four years.

I learned my english by watching Melrose Place, MacGyver and Star Trek, not by learning it in school. As a contrast, I studied german from grades 3-9, yet I couldn't write, let alone speak it with any sort of fluency. I'm sure the Michael Moore's of the world are disappointed by this answer, but this is the truth.....

PhillyPhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:03 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
Even though a lot of people like to hype up our education system, the real reason for northern Europes english skills is due to not having voice-overs on TV. I personally started english in school in the 8th grade(at age 14), and have only studied it for four years.

I learned my english by watching Melrose Place, MacGyver and Star Trek, not by learning it in school. As a contrast, I studied german from grades 3-9, yet I couldn't write, let alone speak it with any sort of fluency. I'm sure the Michael Moore's of the world are disappointed by this answer, but this is the truth.....
In the other hand, that only explains english.. but the education system has been exellent in other subjects too. But now this is way too offtopic, im out of this.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
That 8 minute + highlight reel on youtube is absolutely absurd.

That whole walk-off-the-wall-and-shoot thing is vintage Jagr in a mirror. Lots of absolute snipes to the top corners.

Ralonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
That's also in the first post of the thread.

06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
That's also in the first post of the thread.
I was sure it was back there somewhere but got sick of looking for the post...

Old
06-29-2011, 04:06 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post

That whole walk-off-the-wall-and-shoot thing is vintage Jagr in a mirror. Lots of absolute snipes to the top corners.
One thing that makes me believe he will become at the very least a capable NHL goal scorer is the spectrum his goals show. Lots of snipes, dekes to the net, some power moves to the net, etc. Good hands and a very good shot. While I don't see him becoming a highly physical power forward player (though anything's possible), I do think that when he adds his muscle, he'll be able to become pretty effective in tight around the net with his combination of size and skill. That should let him open his game up even more. Right now he is clearly a stick boy playing against grown men and he's still scoring from all kinds of spots. Though SM-Liga will be best for him, I do wish he were in Rochester for the sole purpose of being able to watch him for $15 bucks.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Real good point from Rob. 3 or 4 walkouts from the left wing to the slot, one-timers on set plays and off the rush, puck protect, Vanek-type garbage, owning defenseman with 1-on-1 moves, overpowering with slapshots, dekes... even a Kotalik shootout move. That reel was a smorgasboard of ways to score.

The thing I like best is that release. Quick, hard, accurate, not a lot of wind up. That's the release of an elite goal scorer, reminded me a bit of Ray Sheppard. Hadn't really seen many examples apart from that youtube, but it is something on a level I didn't see from the other prospects in the draft. That might be what Devine and Regier were talking about, having an natural elite skill and building up the rest of the player's game around it.

Old
07-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Hagged

http://www.jayreas.com/2011-nhl-draf...l-armia-at-16/

"He doesn’t offer the upside of some of the other talents around his draft range, but he’ll be at least a strong third-line player as a lower-risk player to reach his potential."

"Grade: B. May be able to contribute early due to his size"

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2011, 12:15 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post

"He doesn’t offer the upside of some of the other talents around his draft range, but he’ll be at least a strong third-line player as a lower-risk player to reach his potential."

Terrible, terrible article.

He's a high risk, high potential player.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post

A right wing out of Finland, Joel Armia brings good size and grit to the table.

Size is good, but "grit"?
Clearly they don't know what they're talking about.

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Dropkick Murphy

I think Sabres made an absolute steal by getting Armia at 16th. It's hard to imagine that any other player from this draft class would pass him on career NHL goals. I have seen lots and lots of Finnish prospects during 30 years of following FEL, and only other player with similiar level of promise on goalscoring was Teemu Selänne back in 90's. But Selänne was couple of years older and relying on his speed.

Also I wouldn't be worried about those doubts about his work ethic. It has nothing to do with lazyness or not listening to coaches. Actually the kid is just opposite, winning to work with his deficies ans listening to advice. The negative issue he has is dropping out of picture for some shifts. It's partly due to young age and partly due to going for flamboyant decisions too often. Both will improve.

He will form the "Finnish Connection" with Leino, and bring happiness to Buffalo. Very entertaining player to watch, especially those open-ice one-on-one dekes are just uncanny. I haven't ever seen anyone with those kind of deking skills in FEL ... and this dude was 17 years old last season.

Dropkick Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
I think Sabres made an absolute steal by getting Armia at 16th. It's hard to imagine that any other player from this draft class would pass him on career NHL goals. I have seen lots and lots of Finnish prospects during 30 years of following FEL, and only other player with similiar level of promise on goalscoring was Teemu Selänne back in 90's. But Selänne was couple of years older and relying on his speed.

Also I wouldn't be worried about those doubts about his work ethic. It has nothing to do with lazyness or not listening to coaches. Actually the kid is just opposite, winning to work with his deficies ans listening to advice. The negative issue he has is dropping out of picture for some shifts. It's partly due to young age and partly due to going for flamboyant decisions too often. Both will improve.

He will form the "Finnish Connection" with Leino, and bring happiness to Buffalo. Very entertaining player to watch, especially those open-ice one-on-one dekes are just uncanny. I haven't ever seen anyone with those kind of deking skills in FEL ... and this dude was 17 years old last season.
I'm definitely excited about Leino's addition in how it will affect Armia. Joel was obviously not confident in his english speaking. Not only will Ville help that along, but it will also get him to transition faster to the NHL if he can speak Finnish with at least one teammate.

In both the interviews he's done for Sabres.com and the one I saw from him in Finland, he seems very shy. How much could his youth, personality be having an effect on his game in the FEL? A boy amongst men could be very intimidating for certain people. Playing with people closer to his age and experience might give him more confidence and allow him to play a little more aggressively. I feel like as he plays more with the men he'll become more comfortable with himself and them and he'll come out of his shell both in and off the ice.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Loungie

The way he handles the puck and skates remind me of Alex Semin. Anyone else?

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Dropkick Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungie View Post
The way he handles the puck and skates remind me of Alex Semin. Anyone else?
At least Armia himself is fan of Semin's game. And he's naturally shy.

Dropkick Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Small update

Armia visited a horseracing event in Finland, where he also presented a winners trophy for one start

http://www.satakunnankansa.fi/Kiekko...mpereelle.html

Hasn't had any luck in betting so far. Says he's gained more power to his legs and improved his agility over summer, first on-ice practice next Monday with Ässät, and will head to Finlands U-20 camp next week.

Old
07-30-2011, 11:47 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Small update

Armia visited a horseracing event in Finland, where he also presented a winners trophy for one start

http://www.satakunnankansa.fi/Kiekko...mpereelle.html

Hasn't had any luck in betting so far. Says he's gained more power to his legs and improved his agility over summer, first on-ice practice next Monday with Ässät, and will head to Finlands U-20 camp next week.
What's with the moustache?
I hope we don't have another Jokinen on our hands..

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
i think that's herpes.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Quote:
I honestly have no idea, but to me it looks like a bruise. Almost like something you'd expect from a high-stick, but it is July, so what's the chance for that to happen?

EDIT: it says under the picture that it was taken a week ago when a local paper did a story on Ässät players summer training.
And I find it hard to believe Joels summer training has only consisted of texting.
Reading the comments on the article it seems he was indeed highsticked in on-ice practice couple of weeks ago.

Old
07-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Juzmo
dont google me

vCash: 690
Quote:
Stiches after he got high-sticked about a week ago.

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 08:59 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said the team got the young man it wanted. However, selecting Armia may have been as much a surprise to the Sabres as it was to many fans.

“We weren’t sure he was going to be there, but that was the guy they wanted in that range,” said Regier, referring to his scouts. “Where we were sitting, within that range, that was the guy. It was virtually unanimous that was the guy they wanted.”

Armia told reporters he interviewed twice with the Sabres.
Quote:
“One of our guys in the office had a friend who knew a friend with the team over there, who put together a video package,” Devine said. “We had (Armia) high right off the start, but that kind of clinched it once we saw the video package.”
Quote:
“It was a little nerve-racking at the end,” said Devine. “We had five forwards that we liked and he was on the board. … We were crossing our fingers that he was going to be there, and we found out after the Rangers pick that we got him. We’re pretty happy.”

The Sabres’ hopes were boosted when, as Devine told reporters at the draft, they learned teams ahead of them in the first round did not interview Armia.
The player’s performance at the World Juniors may possibly have turned some teams off, as Armia recorded only three assists but no goals. But those results did not scare Buffalo away.
Full article: http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/...than_words.php

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Tra La La

Video from the last wjc

Finland VS Slovakia WJC

period 1 http://watch.tsn.ca/clip594195#clip594195
period 2 http://watch.tsn.ca/clip594197#clip594197
period 3 http://watch.tsn.ca/clip594206#clip594206

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:17 PM
KaZziT

I've seen both 2 games this season from Sm-Liiga and i have to say that Joel is looking really much better!
Last year he had bad start for the season but ended with 18 goal's and 20 assist's.
If everything goes like it should be, he will make 1PPG for sure!

Here is both games highlight and 2 goal's and 2 assist's from Joel, And some deeg's 8)
http://www.nelonenpro.fi/j%C3%A4%C3%...deo&vid=276370
http://www.nelonenpro.fi/j%C3%A4%C3%...deo&vid=276518

*Some finnish commentary as well

KaZziT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:45 PM
mgeise

I'm pretty excited to see what he becomes. He was the most talented player available at that pick and it's great that the Sabres were willing to take the risk on him. I know a lot of us wanted McNeill with that pick, but Armia's ceiling is higher. Riskier picks on extremely talented players like Myers and Ennis have worked out really well, so I hope this trend continues. With the Grigorenko pick, it looks like it will.

I really wish I could see Armia a few times in Rochester this year, though.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Sabreality

pretty sexy highlight package. kid looks a tad more filled out than last season.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote