HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[FLA/VAN] Shirokov for Duco

Old
07-09-2011, 02:40 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Duco likely stayed down because of his tendency towards taking bad penalties. It didn't help that DeBoer had little patience for young players making mistakes.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:41 PM
TimHortons
Gud Night

Little known fact: Shirokov was the player selected by VAN with the 6th round selection sent from FLA in the Luongo deal.

TimHortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:46 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
When we added 11 quality NHL players to our roster.
Why couldn't Duco have the same opportunity in FLA though???lol. he could be a call-up there, right? Unless you are suggesting FLA is the better/deeper team, I still don't understand how he could have more opportunity. As I stated earlier, Van already has 11 quality NHL forwards - throw Hodgson into the mix as well.

And I can tell you that there is no way we trade guys in order to make room for Duco. He will be in the minors. Not sure how that is more opportunity than in FLA...

RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:48 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

I liked Duco's presence, role, and effort, but he was only needed in very particular games where a pest was needed. This seems like a terrific deal from what I've been reading about Shirokov that could really pay off in the future.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Erick*

To be honest, the Panthers have as much, if not more, depth than any team in the NHL right now. Look at the roster.

The reason why Vancouver is the superior team at this point is because of the two Sedin's and guys like Kesler, etc.

We just have a bunch of guys who can put up 15-20 goals, and in the case of Weiss/Booth/Versteeg 25-30.

Look at the Panthers projected checking lines, though. It's good for the first time in years. Nothing to joke at.

Also, as ATF stated, while Duco is a ball of energy, he can get overly energetic and commit stupid penalties. I like his game because of his energy, but that energy can also be his downfall at times.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
Why couldn't Duco have the same opportunity in FLA though???lol. he could be a call-up there, right? Unless you are suggesting FLA is the better/deeper team, I still don't understand how he could have more opportunity. As I stated earlier, Van already has 11 quality NHL forwards - throw Hodgson into the mix as well.

And I can tell you that there is no way we trade guys in order to make room for Duco. He will be in the minors. Not sure how that is more opportunity than in FLA...

Don't ask me! I didn't trade for him! I guess Gillis wanted more grit in the system??

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:

Why are you asking us about Duco? Tallon doesn't care at this point whether he makes the team or not, he wanted him moved for Shirokov. We're Panther fans and have no idea why Gillis made this move, he apparently wanted someone to play in the A and Shirokov is in the KHL and won't play there.

07-09-2011, 03:04 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Duco likely stayed down because of his tendency towards taking bad penalties. It didn't help that DeBoer had little patience for young players making mistakes.
DeBoer coached Duco in Kitchener and loved him - he actually was furious when Duco got sent down - he kinda took a shot at Tallon publicly, if I remember correctly.

Tallon and Santos likely just didn't think he is NHL quality. I don't think he is, either.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
To be honest, the Panthers have as much, if not more, depth than any team in the NHL right now. Look at the roster.
Campbell, Jovo, and Kulikov....the defense is weak after that, and a rookie Gudbranson isn't going to be a star just yet . Goaltending is Theodore/Clemmensen - very questionable. Forward depth is better than other positions, but as deep as Van's...no way. Look at our roster.

Old
07-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Campbell, Jovo, and Kulikov....the defense is weak after that, and a rookie Gudbranson isn't going to be a star just yet . Goaltending is Theodore/Clemmensen - very questionable. Forward depth is better than other positions, but as deep as Van's...no way. Look at our roster.
He's talking about the forward depth which is pretty good. Top end talent wise the Canucks blow Florida out of the water but our bottom six is probably better than yours,comparable at the very least. Which is where Duco would play. The defense isn't weak BTW. Garrison and Weaver are so underrated looking at other teams' reactions to our defense and Ellerby is not far off from a kid like Tanev.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:15 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

I knew this thread was going to go this way.....

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
So he's Rick Rypien? ... Without the fighting skills?
You mean, Tanner Glass.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Quote:
You clearly haven't seen Garrison-Weaver play much. They are the most underrated dpair in the league. They were actually ranked the best dpair in NHL last season as for shots against/goals against per 20 mins of ice time. Ellerby could easily be 3rd pairing with Nucks

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 04:03 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He's talking about the forward depth which is pretty good. Top end talent wise the Canucks blow Florida out of the water but our bottom six is probably better than yours comparable at the very least. Which is where Duco would play. The defense isn't weak BTW. Garrison and Weaver are so underrated looking at other teams' reactions to our defense and Ellerby is not far off from a kid like Tanev.
I think you underestimate how big a factor the 3rd line was all year. You don't win a presidents trophy, and make game 7 of the SCF on the strength of only 2 lines. 3rd line last year performed among the best 3rd lines in hockey. As far as forwards, we lost Torres but added Sturm, Higgins, and Lapierre. Bottom 6 is looking very strong...with guys like Ebbett, Duco, Oreskovich, Hodgson, Volpatti, Mancari - all fighting for 1 spot.

Weaver used to play in Van, so we know all about his limitations (anything involving the puck on his stick), and Tanev.....he'll be in the AHL next year

Old
07-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Clearly you haven't seen Weaver play the last few years. Take another shot, though.

And as the prospect prophet, you'd think you would know exactly how Duco fits into the system.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Georgia Panther

Santos says the Cats are hoping that Shirokov could be bought out of his KHL contract next season, this season is out of the question.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:20 PM
luby3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Santos says the Cats are hoping that Shirokov could be bought out of his KHL contract next season, this season is out of the question.
Not true, Santos said if we believe he's ready to make the team this year, something cam be done. I honestly believe this was a set up move. Tallon isnt known to give away assets for nothing. Maybe a Booth trade is on the way?

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
I think you underestimate how big a factor the 3rd line was all year. You don't win a presidents trophy, and make game 7 of the SCF on the strength of only 2 lines. 3rd line last year performed among the best 3rd lines in hockey. As far as forwards, we lost Torres but added Sturm, Higgins, and Lapierre. Bottom 6 is looking very strong...with guys like Ebbett, Duco, Oreskovich, Hodgson, Volpatti, Mancari - all fighting for 1 spot.

Weaver used to play in Van, so we know all about his limitations (anything involving the puck on his stick), and Tanev.....he'll be in the AHL next year
Weaver has progressed a lot from his time in Vancouver. He's a legit top 4 d-man now. Tanev could still be a bottom pair d-man on a lot of teams, that was my point with Ellerby. The Nucks just have ridiculous depth on D.

I wasn't underestimating the Nucks' 3rd line. I think you are underestimating the Panthers' bottom six. Kopecky, Goc, Bergenheim, Matthias, Skille, and Dadonov/Upshall is a pretty darn good bottom six.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
Not true, Santos said if we believe he's ready to make the team this year, something cam be done. I honestly believe this was a set up move. Tallon isnt known to give away assets for nothing. Maybe a Booth trade is on the way?
How could this move be considered a set up move? I don't see the connection between this trade and a potential Booth trade.

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Adamg0013

Quote:
Booth... our only proven 30 goal scorer is he to stay... and will score 30+ with the help of Campbell, weiss and Versteeg/upshall

Adamg0013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:45 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHortons View Post
Little known fact: Shirokov was the player selected by VAN with the 6th round selection sent from FLA in the Luongo deal.

Holy **** !!! Get that guy a ******* shirt!!!

As much as I love Duco, that's one hell of a video...we have this guy's rights???
Whatever we have to do to get him to the BAC, *******do it! Seems the force is strong in this one!

I can't believe how pumped I'm getting, can't wait to see how this will unfold!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:50 PM
El Cohiba

Wow at the video. Dude has some sick a** hands

El Cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:00 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
CSKA signed Shirokov last week.I'm sure he wouldn't have signed if the trade happened earlier. But anyhow, he will see a lot of ice time there with a bunch of NHL prospects/past players so this could be a good development year for him.... Although his contract is for 2 years in the KHL.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:10 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Weaver has progressed a lot from his time in Vancouver. He's a legit top 4 d-man now. Tanev could still be a bottom pair d-man on a lot of teams, that was my point with Ellerby. The Nucks just have ridiculous depth on D.

I wasn't underestimating the Nucks' 3rd line. I think you are underestimating the Panthers' bottom six. Kopecky, Goc, Bergenheim, Matthias, Skille, and Dadonov/Upshall is a pretty darn good bottom six.
Legit top 4 D-man?? If that's FLA's thinking too, then they need

Old
07-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Yes True,.

Shirokov recently left the Canucks to return to his KHL team in Moscow. According to Dmitry Chesnokov of Yahoo.com, Shirokov has a three-year deal. Florida now holds his NHL rights although Chesnokov says Shirokov's contract doesn't have an out clause.

“He'll probably stay there this year and play. It's going to be hard to have the team release him after they just signed him,'' said assistant GM Mike Santos, adding he believed Shirokov's deal to be for two years.

“We'll watch his progress. If we think he can play for us next year, we'll try and work something out with his team. He's a talented guy. He's committed this year so we'll work toward something for next year. He's a real good player. We moved Duco for him because we think he's a good skilled player for the future.''

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...#ixzz1Rf7rCODc

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote