HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things Peoria" thread...

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2011, 11:48 AM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd View Post
As a Rivermen STH, I was glad to see Sterling leave Chicago. He seemed to score at will against Peoria. It will be great to have that type of scorer in Peoria. I would like to see them sign Mink or a guy like him to put on the line with Sterling and Hensick.

Peoria's roster is looking pretty good. I hope they resign Arsene and Oystrick. Arsene was a great leader and Oystick put up some good numbers and was great on the power play.
Isn't Oystrick heading over to Europe?

Old
07-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Isn't Oystrick heading over to Europe?
Awhile back, it was mentioned in the Peoria Journal Star that Oystrick was looking at going back to the Wolves or heading to Europe as the most likely options. I haven't heard anything since then.

I agree with spd, adding Mink and Oystrick would make Peoria a real contender. Since Sterling got a big AHL salary, not sure there's enough left in the budget to get these guys.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
Awhile back, it was mentioned in the Peoria Journal Star that Oystrick was looking at going back to the Wolves or heading to Europe as the most likely options. I haven't heard anything since then.

I agree with spd, adding Mink and Oystrick would make Peoria a real contender. Since Sterling got a big AHL salary, not sure there's enough left in the budget to get these guys.
Depends on who's actually paying the salary. If the Blues, as the owners of the Peoria franchiose, are paying the salaries, there's plenty of money still left to sign Mink, at least. I doubt seriously that Oystrick will be interested in coming back unless he gets a two-way deal, and that's probably not happening.

Old
07-05-2011, 05:51 PM
ChicagoBlues

If Oystrick does not come back, then I hope he, at least, leaves the division. Signing with the Wolves would be a mini disaster.

What's bugging me, though, is with which NHL team the Chicago Wolves are affiliated. Winnipeg Jets (gosh that sounds weird) are affiliated with St. John's now.

EDIT: Vancouver Canucks

I've watched Brett Sterling play a few times with the Wolves. He's very good. He's small, but unafraid to go into high-traffic areas. He COULD be our Brian Gionta.

Old
07-06-2011, 07:48 AM
spd

Oystrick signed with Phoenix and they switched their AHL team to Portland. Since Peoria never plays the Eastern conference teams, he won't be playing against Peoria.

Mink and Arsene would be nice to have back. I'm not sure they will be with the signing of Sterling. I'm not sure how much money the Blues are willing to spend on Peoria.

Old
07-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Oystrick signed with Phoenix...
Well, that signing was pretty under-the-radar. I live in Phoenix, and hadn't heard about it... but then again, the Coyotes get about the same level of coverage from the Phoenix media as the Blues get from the St. Louis media.

Tune in on every Phoenix TV channel for "LIVE HOURLY UPDATES FROM SUNS DRAFT CENTRAL" during the NBA draft... and, oh by the way, the Coyotes drafted some guys in the NHL Draft a couple of days later.

Quote:
Mink and Arsene would be nice to have back. I'm not sure they will be with the signing of Sterling. I'm not sure how much money the Blues are willing to spend on Peoria.
No room for Arsene, IMO. Mink has hinted on Twitter that he'd like to be back, but believes that the Blues have bigger fish to fry right now than to worry about getting him signed.

Old
07-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Oystrick signed with Phoenix and they switched their AHL team to Portland. Since Peoria never plays the Eastern conference teams, he won't be playing against Peoria.

Sure enough, Oystrick has the Phoenix logo next to him on NHL.com. Did that deal just happen yesterday?

EDIT: looks like Phoenix has signed Arsene also per Maine Hockey Journal.
http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2011/0...an-defensemen/

With the Blues signing 3 players to 1-way contracts this week, looks like Peoria may see more of Porter, McRae, and Grachev than initially expected. Reaves most likely kept as the extra forward in StL. Still see a need for a Mink or similar style player.

Also, I'd expect to see a vet d-man signed. Can't go into the season with only 1 vet and all others with limited or no pro experience. Cole could see a decent amount of time on call-up.

Last edited by Baby Blues: 07-06-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Arsene signing + link
Old
07-07-2011, 08:54 AM
spd

I saw that Arsene signed with Phoenix. With the signings yesterday, I figure some guys who I thought would start in St Louis will be starting in Peoria. I figure they will pickup one or two more veterans. Should be a good team as long as the Blues stay healthier.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:49 PM
execwrite

Just need a veteran d-man. Strachan or somebody better.

Old
07-07-2011, 07:36 PM
execwrite

Yikes - 16 forwards and 8 d-men. A few guys ought to pack some heavy clothes for the trip to Alaska.

Bishop/Allen

Cole-Evans
Ponich-Strachan
Cundari-Gannon
(Fairchild/Shields)

Sterling-Hensick-Cracknell
Grachev-McRae-Nesbitt
Porter-Nigro-Shattock
Hagel-Sonne-Della Rovere
Reaves
(Polacek-Barriball-Peluso)

Maybe Shields, Polacek, Barriball and Peluso start the year in Alaska

(Inserted Gannon for Boyle)

Last edited by execwrite: 07-09-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old
07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Yikes - 16 forwards and 8 d-men. A few guys ought to pack some heavy clothes for the trip to Alaska.

Bishop/Allen

Cole-Evans
Ponich-Strachan
Cundari-Boyle
(Fairchild/Shields)

Grachev-McRae-Nesbitt
Porter-Nigro-Shattock
Hagel-Sonne-Della Rovere
Reaves

1. Replace Bishop above with Elliott.

2. Bring Strachan back, as you suggest above, and I like this plan. I also like the idea of having actual signed roster players in Alaska for emergency callup, rather than having to go out and sign ECHL'ers in a pinch.

Old
07-09-2011, 10:58 AM
execwrite

Steve Eminger is still out there. Right hand shot, upgrade over Strachan.

Think he would take a two-way contract?

Old
07-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Baby Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post

Bishop/Allen

Cole-Evans
Ponich-Strachan
Cundari-Boyle
(Fairchild/Shields)

Grachev-McRae-Nesbitt
Porter-Nigro-Shattock
Hagel-Sonne-Della Rovere
Reaves

FYI: replace Boyle with Gannon. Gannon is signed, I haven't seen anything about Boyle being re-signed.

Old
07-09-2011, 07:21 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
FYI: replace Boyle with Gannon. Gannon is signed, I haven't seen anything about Boyle being re-signed.
Thanks, I changed it.

Old
07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Allen

What is the outlook on this kid? With the depth at goaltending, what would he be worth to the franchise?

Old
07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
SteenMachine

He's got some pretty high accolades going in his favor to pass people on the depth chart when it suits his development. He didn't take over the AHL his rookie year, but it certainly didn't overwhelm him. I think that's a good sign he can keep on pace and challenge for a starting spot around the time Halak is in his last year on his 4 year deal.

Old
07-11-2011, 03:53 PM
stlweir

My take is that Allen had a stellar first year in Peoria moving ahead of Bishop to become the # 1 goalie. He faded at the end of the season but the question is was it because of the extended schedule, the extensive call ups by the Blues that greatly reduced the talent level of the Riverman or a combination of the two. I've got to think that Blues mgt was thrilled with his first year as a professional.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Bishop and Allen shared duties, but I think most people following the Blues would rate Allen significantly ahead of Bishop.

Bishop has tended to play a bit better at the NHL level, but there are questions about him as an NHL backup at this point. Allen, on the other hand is viewed as a likely NHL starter in the future.

The depth is allowing him to develop at a comfortable pace. Either Elliot/Bishop will be back in Peoria to provide competition for the starting spots (my money is on Bishop to lose that battle). But Allen is the goalie prospect that the Blues would be slowest to part with.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:00 PM
STL fan in IA

He has NHL starter potential. He's definitely higher than Bishop in terms of potential but a little behind him in terms of the depth chart since Bishop has 2 years of experience on him. Unless Bishop really takes the bull by the horns this season and actually earns the NHL backup spot, I think Allen will be passing him on the depth chart in short order.

In Peoria, Allen already did pass Bishop in some ways. He played 47 games to Bishop's 35 (although Bishop was in STL a couple times) while also besting Bishop in GAA, Sv% and win/loss record. Allen started off super hot and amazingly well for a rookie but then tailed off at the end. I can only guess but I would guess that he tailed off due to him getting fatigued at playing so many games, the team in front of him struggling because so many Rivermen were playing for the Blues the last 1/3 of the season and opposing teams naturally getting a better read on Allen as they saw more of him and learned his strengths & weaknesses and adapted accordingly. Overall though, numbers of 2.52 GAA, .917 Sv$ and a record of 25-19-3 is still pretty darn good for a 20 yr old pro rookie.

In regards to his value, I'd say he's likely worth more to the Blues than he is on the trade market. Goalies notoriously have low trade values even though goaltending is easily the most important position IMO and prospect goalies have even lower trade values as you never can be sure how a kid is going to develop. Allen has shown good progress through the QMJHL to the AHL so I definitely wouldn't look to trade him although any player is available for the right price in the right deal.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
He has NHL starter potential. He's definitely higher than Bishop in terms of potential but a little behind him in terms of the depth chart since Bishop has 2 years of experience on him. Unless Bishop really takes the bull by the horns this season and actually earns the NHL backup spot, I think Allen will be passing him on the depth chart in short order.

In Peoria, Allen already did pass Bishop in some ways. He played 47 games to Bishop's 35 (although Bishop was in STL a couple times) while also besting Bishop in GAA, Sv% and win/loss record. Allen started off super hot and amazingly well for a rookie but then tailed off at the end. I can only guess but I would guess that he tailed off due to him getting fatigued at playing so many games, the team in front of him struggling because so many Rivermen were playing for the Blues the last 1/3 of the season and opposing teams naturally getting a better read on Allen as they saw more of him and learned his strengths & weaknesses and adapted accordingly. Overall though, numbers of 2.52 GAA, .917 Sv$ and a record of 25-19-3 is still pretty darn good for a 20 yr old pro rookie.

In regards to his value, I'd say he's likely worth more to the Blues than he is on the trade market. Goalies notoriously have low trade values even though goaltending is easily the most important position IMO and prospect goalies have even lower trade values as you never can be sure how a kid is going to develop. Allen has shown good progress through the QMJHL to the AHL so I definitely wouldn't look to trade him although any player is available for the right price in the right deal.
Great writeup and I would have to agree with all the aforementioned. I do however want to add that Allen is our insurance policy on Halak. While I think Halak will do well there is also a good change that he will be one of those of and on goalies who plays well one season and flounders a bit in the next. I would really like to see a tandem of Allen and Halak. If needed the hot one can play. Think Thomas and Rask...in some ways.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:53 PM
BluesFan45
HFB Partner

I got to see Jake Allen twice last season when visiting Peoria.

I thought his demeanor and presence of mind was well above that of a first year professional. It's very hard to compare seeing Bishop in NHL action vs. Allen in AHL action, but Allen looked controlled under pressure and from talking to folks from the Rivermen he was a rock for them.

As others have touched on he certainly has clear #1 potential at the next level. Mentally he has the make up, it's just a question of staying the course and his athletic ability continuing to develop as he ages and his body matures.

The Blues restocked at the draft with two decent prospects, but that does not make Allen expendable. It will take a pretty significant return to pry Allen away from the Blues. By the time Halak's current deal is up Allen will have at least 2 full seasons as the Rivermen starter and 1-2 split with Bishop (or Elliot). That's assuming he doesn't take over as back up for the 13-14 season at age 23 when his ELC expires.

Old
07-11-2011, 10:48 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
If I go with my gut feeling, I just don't have any sense of comfort with Bishop back there. He'll really surprise me if he wins the back-up role and outplays the level Conklin had last year (which was not a high level for a backup).

I think Bishop doesn't really give off any sense of mental toughness. It could be youth, but other young guys DO have it. I haven't seen a lot of Allen play, but he doesn't give me that same shaky vibe.

So there you have my completely unscientific unsubstantiated opinion on their comparison.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:12 AM
oPlaiD

If anyone gets shown the door due to our goalie "depth", it'll be Bishop.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
spd

I agree with most of the comments on Allen. I got to see him a lot here in Peoria and he seemed to wear down towards the end of the year. He was getting every start for a long time because Bishop was up with the Blues. It also didn't help that the team was forced to play 8-9 ECHL players at times due to the callups. The team that started the season when Allen was on fire was definitely not the same team at the end of the year.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:57 PM
execwrite

Now that Tyson Strachan has signed with Florida, Rivermen could use a veteran right-hand d-man to help the Peoria youngsters.

Steve Eminger on a two-way contract, anyone? He would be good right-hand depth for St. Louis as well.

Closed Thread