HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Shea Weber vs Drew Doughty

View Poll Results: Weber or Doughty?
Shea Weber 165 56.12%
Drew Doughty 129 43.88%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-08-2011, 08:19 PM
airforceones25

vCash: 500
weber is to pronger as doughty is to niedermeyer

Ducks will take both.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Shellz

Rest of their career? Doughty, easily.

But, since the Kings already have him, I will take Weber

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:23 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Weber...The legend of Drew Doughty is pretty overblown on this site. He's a good young player, but his one great season got him an undeserved reputation. Unless he commits to conditioning and consistency his career could run a parallel course to The Dion.
Defensemen usually round-out their play as they get older, so it should be exciting to see how much further Doughty matures his game in the next decade or so.

For now: Weber

In the future: Doughty

Last edited by SB164: 07-09-2011 at 08:41 PM.
SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:29 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Shea Weber

07-09-2011, 07:39 AM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Weber.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Dennis Bonvie

I thought Doughty would win this easily.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Kresnik

Weber is better at the moment but i would pick Drew without hesitate.

Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:38 AM
FrozenJagrt

The overhyping of Doughty continues. I'm a huge fan, but it's getting a little ridiculous. I remember people calling him a generational player on another board last year. I don't see it. I see a very good defenseman who had a phenomenal year. Of course, I got crucified for suggesting that he might not repeat his Norris calibre performance this past season. Well look at that...

The hype surrounding this guy reminds me of another young defensive prodigy who everyone thought would dominate the league for years to come. Poor Dion.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
The overhyping of Doughty continues. I'm a huge fan, but it's getting a little ridiculous. I remember people calling him a generational player on another board last year. I don't see it. I see a very good defenseman who had a phenomenal year. Of course, I got crucified for suggesting that he might not repeat his Norris calibre performance this past season. Well look at that...

The hype surrounding this guy reminds me of another young defensive prodigy who everyone thought would dominate the league for years to come. Poor Dion.
You realize Doughty is only 21?

He missed the start of the season (6 games) because of off-season surgery.

His numbers were 11-29-40 +13

Weber's numbers were 16-32-48 +7, not a big difference and Weber played with Suter as a partner and Rhine in goal behind him.

Please, don't compare Doughty to Phaneuf.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Thepainter

Weber.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Fataldogg

Doughty. Doughty has a much higher ceiling. I foresee Doughty being a perennial Norris candidate throughout his career. At 21 he was already a Norris finalist, and won a Gold Medal and was a big part of putting the Kings back into the playoff picture. In his sophomore year, 20 years old, he put up a point total higher than any season Weber has ever had.

I think Weber is a top-5 defense man in the NHL, and right now, he might even have the edge (he certainly had a better year), but for "eternity" to lock up one defense man for the rest of their career, I'd choose Doughty, and for me, I don't even have to put much thought into it. The kid will be a modern day Ray Bourque. Book it.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

Congratulations, you predicted that Doughty would miss games due to a wrist injury, and would suffer a concussion causing him to be off his game for a further 10 games, yet he still put up 40 points and was the #1 dman on a team that was near top of the league for GAA.

ye good call, i guess that makers you right in some way

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Doughty. Doughty has a much higher ceiling. I foresee Doughty being a perennial Norris candidate throughout his career. At 21 he was already a Norris finalist, and won a Gold Medal and was a big part of putting the Kings back into the playoff picture.
Weber. Weber has a much higher ceiling. I forsee him being a perennial Norris candidate throughout his career. At 25 he's already a Norris Finalist and won a gold medal and was a huge part of putting the Preds back into the playoff picture.

They're very close. I take Weber.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Weber for me.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:26 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Weber. Weber has a much higher ceiling. I forsee him being a perennial Norris candidate throughout his career. At 25 he's already a Norris Finalist and won a gold medal and was a huge part of putting the Preds back into the playoff picture.

They're very close. I take Weber.
Erm...do you know who Doughty is?

Norris Finalist
Won a gold metal

Same junk you put in your reply, only much, much younger.

I would currently pick Weber, but I don't see Weber having much higher of a ceiling than where he currently is. Doughty I do.

Last edited by dabeechman: 07-10-2011 at 06:02 AM.
dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:18 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Currently take Doughty and in the future. Guy is unreal.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:17 AM
wedge

I'll take Doughty. The sky is the limit with him. Weber is probably already at his peak.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:50 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
You realize Doughty is only 21?

He missed the start of the season (6 games) because of off-season surgery.

His numbers were 11-29-40 +13

Weber's numbers were 16-32-48 +7, not a big difference and Weber played with Suter as a partner and Rhine in goal behind him.

Please, don't compare Doughty to Phaneuf.
I am not impressed. Phaneuf's numbers, his performance all around in his first three years were massive. People seem to forget that he was a total stud. He averaged 53 points over that time, he was a Norris candidate against tougher competition. Chara, and Lidstrom who was still at the top of his game. He hit, he blocked shots, he scored a lot of goals, and he was a rock in his own end. People have short memories. I see the same hype with Doughty that I saw with Phaneuf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Congratulations, you predicted that Doughty would miss games due to a wrist injury, and would suffer a concussion causing him to be off his game for a further 10 games, yet he still put up 40 points and was the #1 dman on a team that was near top of the league for GAA.

ye good call, i guess that makers you right in some way
So uh... What's your point? Doughty had one stellar year and a couple good years. Not many defenders that I'd take before Doughty, but he's just not as good as a lot of people like to think. He's kind of in there with Toews and Datsyuk. Fantastic players who get hyped up way too much for what they've accomplished.

Old
07-10-2011, 12:33 PM
CloudReader

Quote:
I am not impressed. Phaneuf's numbers, his performance all around in his first three years were massive. People seem to forget that he was a total stud. He averaged 53 points over that time, he was a Norris candidate against tougher competition. Chara, and Lidstrom who was still at the top of his game. He hit, he blocked shots, he scored a lot of goals, and he was a rock in his own end. People have short memories. I see the same hype with Doughty that I saw with Phaneuf.
Phaneuf was never a rock in his own end. The rock was his partner Roman Hamrlik. When Dion broke into the league, he was dynamite offensively and instantly one of the most feared open-ice hitters, but even then, Calgary fans saw holes in his defensive game. He was said to be the most "exciting" player to have on the ice, both because of the offense he generated, as well as the goals scored against him.

I don't see the comparison with him and Doughty both in terms of development and style. Doughty never got seasoning in the AHL, didn't have many holes in his game during his dominant season, and became one of Canada's best defenseman in the Olympics.

CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
The Room*

Its close but i take Doughty.

The Room* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:39 PM
FrozenJagrt

There have always been these myths about Phaneuf that are simply untrue. One of them being that he's "poor" in his own zone. No, he's never going to be confused for Rod Langway in his own end, but he's spent his entire career in shutdown roles against some of the best in the league. Yeah, sometimes he gets burned, who doesn't?. But as a Leafs fan, he's the guy I want on the ice in the final minute of a close game because he can lock it down when it matters.

Anyway, I see a lot of similarities between Doughty and Phaneuf. Doughty has greater hockey sense, no doubt. But Phaneuf's first few years impressed me far more than Doughty's, and anyone who has been on HFBoards for a great amount of time can verify just how bad some of the Phaneuf hype was around here back then. And now look where he is. I'm not ready to hand Doughty a crown just yet, I want to see him consistently impress. So far he's been good, not great.

Old
07-10-2011, 01:05 PM
ItsTheBGB
Borusse!!

Doughty for me.

ItsTheBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:07 PM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 50
Weber any day of the week, and twice on Thursdays.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:34 PM
CloudReader

Quote:
There have always been these myths about Phaneuf that are simply untrue. One of them being that he's "poor" in his own zone. No, he's never going to be confused for Rod Langway in his own end, but he's spent his entire career in shutdown roles against some of the best in the league. Yeah, sometimes he gets burned, who doesn't?. But as a Leafs fan, he's the guy I want on the ice in the final minute of a close game because he can lock it down when it matters.
I see what you mean. Phaneuf wasn't the constant liability some people claim he was, just that his high risk high reward style of play is incompatible with being a defensive rock.

CloudReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:02 PM
tsnTpoint

This is super tough, i literally toggled back and fourth on the selection for a couple minutes.

I ended up picking Doughty, but now I feel like I should have taken Weber.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote