HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Enroth Not Interested in Latest Offer

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2011, 06:46 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
How many games (including playoffs) has he served as a back up? He can't be too awful far away from 60.....
A player must meet all three conditions (180 games in the past three seasons, 60 games the previous season, and didn't pass through waivers the previous season) for the qualifying offer to be a one-way, not just one of them, so how many appearances he had last season is meaningless as he doesn't meet the first qualification of 180 games in the past three seasons.

Old
07-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
For purposes of qualifying offers, singing bonuses are not considered salary.
$85,000 of his $685,000 NHL salary last season was a signing bonus, so the other $600,000 is his base salary.
His base salary was less than $660,000, his qualifying offer must be 110% of his last base salary.
110% of $600,000 is $660,000.

The $660,000 two-way is his qualifying offer, which he has until July 15th to accept.

The $525,000 one-way is a separate deal that he can accept at any time and is different from his qualifying offer, thus it doesn't have to follow the 110% of the prior base salary rule.
makes sense now. I would say take the one way and negotiate up a lil. but in the two way he doesnt have to skate, he gets paid 660K even as backup, so Im not so sure which makes more sense...

Old
07-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Mergus merganser

Well, he'd be a dummy not to sign his QO.

The sabres have no other options other than to play him as the back-up.

Old
07-09-2011, 06:53 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Looks like Darcy is alone on these negotiations. Start dirt low and cross fingers. Pegula in the room with him Enroth would have signed a long term contract by now.

Old
07-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Dabs21Nike

Isn't this a bit of an oximoron? If he was happy with the latest offer, they'd be announcing a signing.

Old
07-09-2011, 07:01 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Well, he'd be a dummy not to sign his QO.

The sabres have no other options other than to play him as the back-up.
No, he would be a dummy if he just accepted the first offer his GM made.

Old
07-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball1374 View Post
Per MHJ and Andy Strickland:

Andy Strickland
Word is Sabres goaltender Jhonas Enroth is not interested in the current offer from the club. Told $525,000 one-way or $660/$62,500 #Sabres
9 minutes ago via web
Those numbers look fishy - Enroth made $685K last year (after $585K / $635K in the first 2 years of his last contract) so why would he now get offered less when his QO alone has to be a raise. Considering the geniuses at Eklund's hockey site, they probably got Enroth mixed up with McIntyre, who would be more in line for that kind of salary offer.

The Sabres saw how valuable Enroth was last year and Ruff also has to know he has a backup for the first time since Biron that he can trust resting Miller for - they aren't going to lowball Enroth. I expect them to give him the same kind of healthy raise they did to Gerbe and Weber.

Last edited by Sabretip: 07-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old
07-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
I had him penciled in at 2yrs/850-900 per.

Of course, it's not my money I'm spending so freely.
I'd bet on him getting a 3-year deal like Gerbe did, and coinciding with the remaining term left on Miller's contract.

$900K / $950K / $1.25M = $1.03M cap hit

Old
07-09-2011, 07:39 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Those numbers look fishy - Enroth made $685K last year and would be getting a raise just by accepting his QO. Considering the geniuses at Eklund's hockey site, they probably got Enroth mixed up with McIntyre, who would be more in line for that kind of salary offer.

The Sabres saw how valuable Enroth was last year and Ruff also has to know he has a backup for the first time since Biron that he can trust resting Miller for - they aren't going to lowball Enroth. I expect them to give him the same kind of healthy raise they did to Gerbe and Weber.

Relevant

Also relevant

Old
07-09-2011, 08:04 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Not shocking for reasons mentioned by others here. And I'm not worried.

Old
07-09-2011, 08:13 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He has one more year or 64 games until he has to pass through waivers.
Thanks.

Quote:
Regardless, the tweet is still incorrect. They can't offer lower than his QO (which is a 1 way deal per the CBA). Moreover, why would a team without a backup goalie (with no apparent intention to sign a different back up goalie) offer the kid a 2-way deal?
I guess as long as he doesn't have to pass through waivers, a 2-way deal doesn't really give us any additional flexibility. For some reason I still associate "2-way deal" with "can be sent to the minors without passing through waivers", even though I know that's not the case.

He's only played 15 NHL games, so ideally we'd have the flexibility to send him down and sign a vet backup if it came to that, without losing him to waivers. It sounds like we will, regardless of the contract, so I'm sure they'll get something hashed out relatively soon.

Old
07-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Grinder44

Enroth has appeared in 15 NHL games during the three years of his entry level deal. The money for the one-way offer is not that far off the mark and is guaranteed. The two-way offer means if he struggles early they could send him down and call MacIntyre up (or sign a vet mid-season) and Jonas would be back to making $62K for the season. Again, he has 15 NHL games under his belt. A one way deal would be sweet for him. I'd look for his rep to try to get the guaranteed one-way money up closer to the qo and make the deal. His only leverage at this point in his career would be the threat of staying home and playing in Europe. I'm sure they'll work it out.

Old
07-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
•Since Regier said goalies Drew MacIntyre and David Leggio will "provide a good tandem in Rochester," that apparently means Jhonas Enroth indeed will be Ryan Miller's backup.
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...TS02/107090327

I really hope they aren't jerking Enroth around just because their spending on other players has now forced them up against the cap. They gave Weber and Gerbe healthy raises off half a season each of solid play - and Enroth certainly proved his value as an NHL goalie....

Old
07-10-2011, 05:20 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I think he's worth more than those offers but I mean, he's only played like a dozen games so I don't know how much more he expects to gain.

Old
07-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Luceni

Everything around 1m cap hit would be fine.
I'd love him signing a three-year deal.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:02 AM
joshjull

Why in the world does Enroth warrant a 900k-1mil per?

His main claim to fame is being an upgrade over Lalime. His numbers were nothing spectacular in Buffalo or Portland. In fact it could be fairly argued he was battling to keep his starting spot in Portland by the end of the year.

With the cap hits we need to work around, trying to keep Enroth's salary at a reasonable level makes perfect sense.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

His main claim to fame is being an upgrade over Lalime. His numbers were nothing spectacular in Buffalo or Portland. In fact it could be fairly argued he was battling to keep his starting spot in Portland by the end of the year.

With the cap hits we need to work around, trying to keep Enroth's salary at a reasonable level makes perfect sense.
It does, and I think this could get a little ugly if he wants that much. I hate to fret over a couple hundred thousand dollars (of NOT my money) but I mean, they are really going to have to squeak under the cap this season.

So what alternatives are there for around 600k?

Old
07-10-2011, 09:39 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:

I would say his main claim to fame is going 7-0-1 down the stretch including a shutout against the Rangers and a huge 2-1 win against Carolina, both against the teams fighting against us in the standings. I'm sure his agent thinks he deserves at least that money because without him down the stretch, we could have missed the playoffs altogether. I agree with everything else you said though. I fully expect him to be signed eventually, there's no big problem here.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:51 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I would say his main claim to fame is going 7-0-1 down the stretch including a shutout against the Rangers and a huge 2-1 win against Carolina, both against the teams fighting against us in the standings. I'm sure his agent thinks he deserves at least that money because without him down the stretch, we could have missed the playoffs altogether. I agree with everything else you said though. I fully expect him to be signed eventually, there's no big problem here.
That same stretch where he had a .908 save percentage and allowed 4 goals in 3 of those games but went 2-0-1 in those 3 games anyway because of goal support. His save % in the 5 games in April was putrid (.892).We won primarily because of our offense which averaged 3.63 goals per game in those 8 games.

Two games does not a 900k-1mil contract make.

Old
07-10-2011, 10:08 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...TS02/107090327

I really hope they aren't jerking Enroth around just because their spending on other players has now forced them up against the cap. They gave Weber and Gerbe healthy raises off half a season each of solid play - and Enroth certainly proved his value as an NHL goalie....
Weber and Gerbe have proven a whole hell of a lot more at the NHL level than Enroth has.

I know he's pushing for a longer-term deal, but in the interest of good sense and his future as an NHL player (especially within this organization), I hope his agent advises him to give up these shenanigans and just sign his QO.

Next offseason, when he has another 20 games under his belt and has actually proven he deserves Schneider money, they can talk.

Old
07-10-2011, 10:09 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

And if he just signs his QO, that in all likelihood allows us to keep Sekera and Boyes. Which would make me a happy camper.

Old
07-10-2011, 10:56 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
800-900k is Market for Enroth.

Considering that a team with cap space to burn could sign him to an offersheet of up to 1.5 million and get him for a 3rd round pick (and even an offersheet up to 1 million and get him for nothing)

Old
07-10-2011, 10:57 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
That same stretch where he had a .908 save percentage and allowed 4 goals in 3 of those games but went 2-0-1 in those 3 games anyway because of goal support. His save % in the 5 games in April was putrid (.892).We won primarily because of our offense which averaged 3.63 goals per game in those 8 games.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I'm sure his agent is saying what I said in regards to your original question about his contract. Despite the stat being outdated, people still look at win-loss records more than they should. Enroth's wasn't great by any means but he kept us in games. We certainly opened up our offense when Enroth went in which Ruff deserves credit for.

That being said, I don't really think either side has anything to lose by playing hardball in their negotiations. Worst case for Enroth, he ends us taking his QO because I can't see us retracting it; letting Enroth go over a few hundred grand wouldn't make any sense without backup alternatives. Regier is doing what every GM should do in his spot, don't offer anything more than he has to since he has all the leverage. Like I said before, I have no worries that we'll meet somewhere in the middle. I'd have no problem giving him 800k if it ties him up for multiple years. He's the solid backup that we've lacked with additional potential.

Old
07-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Sabretip

Quote:

Hard to debate those clear cut facts when you spell it out that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
And if he just signs his QO, that in all likelihood allows us to keep Sekera and Boyes. Which would make me a happy camper.
Me too - I'd hate to have to thin out the wings or defense of more proven players just to afford Enroth.

Old
07-10-2011, 02:08 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
I wouldn't be interested either. I can't imagine offering him that much less than LaLAME got.
That's what happens when a player is young and doesn't have a ton of leverage.

Closed Thread