HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tried on Bauer Supreme, Vapor and Reebok UPDATE Post #13

Old
07-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Hacker10

vCash: 500
Tried on Bauer Supreme, Vapor and Reebok UPDATE Post #13

Looking to make a switch, as my Graf 705's don't seem to be working out.

I tried on One70's, Vapor X4.0, and Reebok 7K, so I'll give a quick comparison of fit.

One70's: Seemed to fit in a \ / shape. Tight around the ankle and the heel, tight in the arch and edge of the foot. The boot was roomy in the toe area, but still conformed to the outside edges of the foot. Felt solid and supportive, and held my heel in the best.

Vapor 4.0's: Fit in more of a / \ shape, pretty much the opposite of the One70. Snugger around the toe and down the side of the foot. Less solid in the arch and heel area, the heel was much roomier, and didn't feel as solid or "locked in". Ankle didn't seem as supportive either.

7k's: More of a linear fit down the sides of the foot. Very roomy in the heel area, didn't feel locked in at all, pump or not. The lacing seemed to come very high up the lower shin, it felt odd. Biggest complaint was the release valve of the pump system. It seemed to be digging into my ankle bone, was very uncomfortable. The lace locking system felt odd too, and I didn't like it at all.

More than likely, I'll be going with the Supremes.

Last edited by Hacker10: 07-12-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Hacker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 07:58 PM
ponder

Sounds like the Supremes fit you the best for sure. You could try on some Eastons just to be sure as well, but Supremes are great skates if they fit you well, and it sounds like they do.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
AIREAYE

This ^ absolutely right.

Supreme offers a wider forefoot fit than the Vapors with a respectable amount of anatomical 'fit' on the heel area

The Easton Synergy is similar to the Supremes with perhaps a 'snugger' locking ankle area but a consistent forefoot. The Stealth series is alos similar, with a wider forefoot.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:47 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker10 View Post
Looking to make a switch, as my Graf 705's don't seem to be working out.

I tried on One70's, Vapor X4.0, and Reebok 7K, so I'll give a quick comparison of fit.

One70's: Seemed to fit in a \ / shape. Tight around the ankle and the heel, tight in the arch and edge of the foot. The boot was roomy in the toe area, but still conformed to the outside edges of the foot. Felt solid and supportive, and held my heel in the best.

Vapor 4.0's: Fit in more of a / \ shape, pretty much the opposite of the One70. Snugger around the toe and down the side of the foot. Less solid in the arch and heel area, the heel was much roomier, and didn't feel as solid or "locked in". Ankle didn't seem as supportive either.

7k's: More of a linear fit down the sides of the foot. Very roomy in the heel area, didn't feel locked in at all, pump or not. The lacing seemed to come very high up the lower shin, it felt odd. Biggest complaint was the release valve of the pump system. It seemed to be digging into my ankle bone, was very uncomfortable. The lace locking system felt odd too, and I didn't like it at all.

More than likely, I'll be going with the Supremes.
That was almost exactly the same experience I had only I bought the One60s. My only hesitation was the stiff ankle area but after baking it was much better. I had custom footbeds made at a ski shop and I love how they fit. Good luck.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Hacker10

They didn't have Eastons at the Pro Hockey Life I tried the skates on at, and I'm not crazy about Easton skates to begin with(sticks, however...). I play with guys that have bought Eastons and after 5 games it looks like their skates have been used for 5 years(exaggeration, but I think you get my drift).

When I go to trade my Grafs in, I'll see if they have the new EQ40's, but I'll probably stick with Bauer.

Old
07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
ponder

Quote:
They didn't have Eastons at the Pro Hockey Life I tried the skates on at, and I'm not crazy about Easton skates to begin with(sticks, however...). I play with guys that have bought Eastons and after 5 games it looks like their skates have been used for 5 years(exaggeration, but I think you get my drift).

When I go to trade my Grafs in, I'll see if they have the new EQ40's, but I'll probably stick with Bauer.
The Stealths seem to have fewer durability issues than some previous Easton skates, and the new EQ line fewer problems than the Stealths (though they haven't been out that long yet, so it's tough to say), but yeah, Eastons have had some durability issues in the past. If Supremes fit you the best, go with them. Sounds like you like everything except the toe box, Bauer toe boxes (Supremes and Valpors) are definitely tall/roomy, you can always do what I did, which is basically to make a little pad, sew some velcro onto it, stick the other side of the velcro to the inside of the toe box, then velcro the pad in place to get that snug feeling on the top of your toes. I'll post pictures when I get a minute, it was easy to do, just had to buy some microfiber cloth and velcro from the hardware store, cut out the proper size pieces, then get it all sewn together by my local drycleaning/alterations place.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Hacker10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The Stealths seem to have fewer durability issues than some previous Easton skates, and the new EQ line fewer problems than the Stealths (though they haven't been out that long yet, so it's tough to say), but yeah, Eastons have had some durability issues in the past. If Supremes fit you the best, go with them. Sounds like you like everything except the toe box, Bauer toe boxes (Supremes and Valpors) are definitely tall/roomy, you can always do what I did, which is basically to make a little pad, sew some velcro onto it, stick the other side of the velcro to the inside of the toe box, then velcro the pad in place to get that snug feeling on the top of your toes. I'll post pictures when I get a minute, it was easy to do, just had to buy some microfiber cloth and velcro from the hardware store, cut out the proper size pieces, then get it all sewn together by my local drycleaning/alterations place.
I actually didn't have too much of a problem with the feel of the toe box on the Supremes. It was just different than what I am used to, I guess. With the way the One70's fit around the rest of my foot, I'm good with them.

I'm going to give it a bit and try them on again. Reason being, I had tried the 7k's on about 4 months ago, and thought they were great. Glad I went and tried them again, because they were awful compared to the Bauers.

Last edited by Hacker10: 07-10-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old
07-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Hacker10

Anyone have an opinion on Easton EQ4's? I handled a pair today, and they seemed to be solidly built...didn't get a chance to try them on.

Old
07-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Guffaw

Bauer touts the Vapor line as having a narrower fit than the Supremes. Is this true?

I have a narrow foot everywhere(ankle, heel, forefoot, etc).

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Fred89

Yeah it is!

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 08:28 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I actually didn't have too much of a problem with the feel of the toe box on the Supremes. It was just different than what I am used to, I guess. With the way the One70's fit around the rest of my foot, I'm good with them.

I'm going to give it a bit and try them on again. Reason being, I had tried the 7k's on about 4 months ago, and thought they were great. Glad I went and tried them again, because they were awful compared to the Bauers.
Good call, because Reebok/CCM fit completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Bauer touts the Vapor line as having a narrower fit than the Supremes. Is this true?

I have a narrow foot everywhere(ankle, heel, forefoot, etc).
Yeah it's true, though you should give the Stealth series a shot as well.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yeah it's true, though you should give the Stealth series a shot as well.
Darn. The Vapors are just so ~16yr old and hard on the eyes or at least looking through 38 yr. old eyes. I like my Graf's, but the weight of some of these new CCM and Bauer skate has me tempted to try one.

Oh well guess I'll stick with my G35's. A little heavier, but already profiled, punched out, and almost broken in.

Wonder why the other manufacturers no longer offer C widths.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Hacker10

Went today and tried on a pair of Easton EQ3's.

Fit wasn't as snug around the heel as the One70's, or as solid feeling around the ankle. They hurt around the outside edge of my feet, just standing there was very uncomfortable...it didn't allow for me to get a good impression of how they felt around the rest of my feet.

Needless to say, I won't be going with these. For now, the One70's are still tops for me.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:33 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Bauer ANYTHING is the best on the market IMHO. I'd say just buy the One70's and call it a day.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:49 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Went today and tried on a pair of Easton EQ3's.

Fit wasn't as snug around the heel as the One70's, or as solid feeling around the ankle. They hurt around the outside edge of my feet, just standing there was very uncomfortable...it didn't allow for me to get a good impression of how they felt around the rest of my feet.

Needless to say, I won't be going with these. For now, the One70's are still tops for me.
Did you try the EQ3s in EE/W width?

edit: completely agree with ponder on Superfeet. After just one skate I noticed a large difference in skating stability

Last edited by AIREAYE: 07-12-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
ponder

Sounds like you've done your due diligence and tried on a wide range of skates. Seeing as you still like the Supremes best, I'd definitely go ahead and get them. A guy on my team got a pair of one70s at the start of the year and seems very happy with them so far, I don't see any reason not to get them if they fit great and are in your price range.

I'd also try them on with better footbeds, Bauer make great skates but their stock footbeds are as garbage as with any other brand, basically useless and offering more or less no support. If you don't already have your own footbeds I'd HIGHLY suggest giving something like Superfeet Yellows or Graf footbeds a try, personally I think my Superfeet Yellows were my best hockey related purchase ever. Also, don't be concerned if your feet hurt for the first 5-10 skates or so, even with great fitting skates and a good baking there can be a break in process. Many people will get some foot pain at first with new skates no matter what, but if your skates fit properly it should go away relatively quickly with just a bit of breaking in.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Hacker10

Ponder: Yeah, I use yellow Superfeet in my Grafs. They made a big difference over even the stock Graf footbeds. Those SF footbeds won't be part of the trade-in, that's for sure.

AIREAYE: The store had a limited selection, and frankly I was lucky to find the EQ3's in my size. Eastons seem to be rare in Ottawa for some reason. The soreness I felt in the EQ's today is one that I get when my feet really don't like how something fits(old Army-related injury). Coupled with the fact that I have narrow feet, going wider wouldn't have helped.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Guffaw

I have the GRAF sidas footbeds. Can someone compare the Superfeet to those.

I have a very high arch so could use all the support I can get plus I have a narrow foot in a regular width skate so wouldn't mind taking up some more volume if the Superfeet are indeed thicker than what I have.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I just bought One100s because the toebox in my X:60s was too narrow for my foot. Always knew Supreme was the better fit for me, but when I was younger I forced myself into Vapors and now they're just too uncomfortable.

Tried the One100s on in stores and loved them, but I bought a "lightly used" pair online from some kid who only skated in them a half-dozen times before his mommy and daddy bought him APX. I'm lucky to have a foot that's small enough that some of the spoiled junior players whose parents buy them gear wear the same size as me. Can't wait for the skates to get here so I can bake them and get playing.

Now if I only I could find someone to by my X:60s!

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:00 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Sounds like you've done your due diligence and tried on a wide range of skates. Seeing as you still like the Supremes best, I'd definitely go ahead and get them. A guy on my team got a pair of one70s at the start of the year and seems very happy with them so far, I don't see any reason not to get them if they fit great and are in your price range.

I'd also try them on with better footbeds, Bauer make great skates but their stock footbeds are as garbage as with any other brand, basically useless and offering more or less no support. If you don't already have your own footbeds I'd HIGHLY suggest giving something like Superfeet Yellows or Graf footbeds a try, personally I think my Superfeet Yellows were my best hockey related purchase ever. Also, don't be concerned if your feet hurt for the first 5-10 skates or so, even with great fitting skates and a good baking there can be a break in process. Many people will get some foot pain at first with new skates no matter what, but if your skates fit properly it should go away relatively quickly with just a bit of breaking in.
Spot on with the footbeds. $600 skates and the footbed is a piece of foam with graphics on the top to make it look cool.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:40 AM
AIREAYE

If you tried the skates on in store you should've bought them there and not have to wait for shipping, pay for shipping and most likely pay extra for baking and sharpening...

Old
07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I paid $300 less for the skates. I've been skating my entire life and bought 90% of my skates at the same proshop 15 minutes from my house. I'm not new to this rodeo... I just needed to save as much as possible this time as I've got more important expenses and new skates are a luxury. Since some kid had already baked them and skated in them a half dozen times, I got a pair of One100s for $225. They're still $599.99 in my pro shop. I'm going to have to pay to get them baked and sharpened, but it will still come out more than $200 less for a barely used pair of One100s. I got to inspect the skates as best as possible in a video chat thing (oovoo? I don't know I downloaded it for the skate showing) and they're really in practically brand new shape.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yes the Supremes have a narrow heel, wide forefoot fit. Really wish the new line was out when I was skate shopping. The Vapors have a narrow fit throughout. Reeboks seem like you described; I could never get a good heel fit in mine. I wear Graf 735, which is narrow heel, wide forefoot, and then I had my forefoot/toe area stretched even more. Great fit but heavy.

As for Superfeet vs Graf/SIDAS, Superfeet were an improvement over stock for me because it helped me feel the edges/ice more. When I got fitted, they mentioned it was probably not great for my feet because it raised my heel out of the pocket of my already-too-wide Vapors, plus I have flatter feet and they might have caused some arch pain.

Honestly I've been skating with Graf/SIDAS so long that I have had zero problems after baking and stretching, and perfect support. A really good investment IMO. I can skate for 2-3 hours without any arch pain, which I had a little of with my Vapors.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote