HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Looking Ahead: Our 2012 UFA/RFA's

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2011, 02:11 PM
  #1
mcsauer2738
Registered User
 
mcsauer2738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Looking Ahead: Our 2012 UFA/RFA's

Next summer we will have the following players to make decisions on.

UFA's: Prust, Fedentenko, Aves, Christensen, Biron
RFA's: Wolski, Zucc, MDZ

Of the UFA's the only one I see as a priority is Prust, I would like to get him on a Rupp type deal, 3 years 4.5. Also, depending on how Marty plays this year I would like to sign him on for another year maybe 1 year 750k.

Of the RFA's The only one I'd like to see back is MDZ, if he can bounce back and put together a 7 goal 20 assist type year I'd like to see him back on a 2 year Sauer type deal. Only problem is his Q.O. will be significantly higher than Sauer's which may make his salary higher.

Also, we will have Drury's buy-out on the books for one more year as well.

Thoughts on these proposals as well as potential UFA targets?

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
  #2
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Next summer we will have the following players to make decisions on.

UFA's: Prust, Fedentenko, Aves, Christensen, Biron
RFA's: Wolski, Zucc, MDZ

Of the UFA's the only one I see as a priority is Prust, I would like to get him on a Rupp type deal, 3 years 4.5. Also, depending on how Marty plays this year I would like to sign him on for another year maybe 1 year 750k.

Of the RFA's The only one I'd like to see back is MDZ, if he can bounce back and put together a 7 goal 20 assist type year I'd like to see him back on a 2 year Sauer type deal. Only problem is his Q.O. will be significantly higher than Sauer's which may make his salary higher.

Also, we will have Drury's buy-out on the books for one more year as well.

Thoughts on these proposals as well as potential UFA targets?
All depends on what happens this season, to be honest.

But relatively speaking, thats a pretty sad group, and not much cause for concern.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:24 PM
  #3
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,305
vCash: 500
I would look to re-sign:

Prust (multiple years)
MDZ
MZA


The UFA's that I would look at for next year would be:
Alex Semin
Patrick Sharp
Dustin Penner
Shane Doan
Ales Hemsky
Brad Boyes
Tim Gleason
Niklas Kronwall
RJ Umberger
Brent Burns
Ryan Suter
Jordan Tootoo
Matt Carkner
Matt Carle
Ray Whitney
Mikhail Grabovski

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:34 PM
  #4
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would look to re-sign:

Prust (multiple years)
MDZ
MZA


The UFA's that I would look at for next year would be:
Alex Semin
Patrick Sharp
Dustin Penner
Shane Doan
Ales Hemsky
Brad Boyes
Tim Gleason
Niklas Kronwall
RJ Umberger
Brent Burns
Ryan Suter
Jordan Tootoo
Matt Carkner
Matt Carle
Ray Whitney
Mikhail Grabovski
Which of those UFAs do you think will actually make it to UFA?

Personally I don't really consider guys like sharp or semin to be UFAs since it's unlikely they'll actually hit the market. But you never know, what richards did this offseason was unexpected

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
  #5
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,086
vCash: 500
Good news is there aren't really many among those guys who are core players or who will get big bucks. If Wolski doesn't work out that's 3.8M freed up right there...plus the 2M extra we get back that Drury counts next year. So nearly 7M to play with (assuming no cap increase) to re-up a couple of Prust/Biron/Zucc/MDZ. If Avery/Christensen/Fedetenko are gone that's nearly another 4.5M. So we could have at least 11M in cap space to work with. I can't see the previous 4 guys costing more than a couple million extra to sign...heck even if you call it 3M to bring back all of them we'd still have 8M left over. Certainly more than enough to go after a UFA winger next summer if we don't think Kreider or Thomas are ready to step in just yet. One way or another we should be looking pretty good going into 2012-2013.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
  #6
New York RKY
Moderator
Let's Go Rangers!
 
New York RKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dirty Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 11,982
vCash: 500
It is waaaayyyy to early to predict next years free agency.

Most likely it's going to be another crap free agency list with maybe one or two good players making it all the way to July 1st.

__________________
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:38 PM
  #7
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,411
vCash: 500
Lock up Prust and MDZ and maybe also MZA depending on how he fares next season. Probably Biron too, as I sincerely doubt any of our young goaltenders will ever be a NHL caliber goaltender.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:40 PM
  #8
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would look to re-sign:

Prust (multiple years)
MDZ
MZA


The UFA's that I would look at for next year would be:
Alex Semin
Patrick Sharp
Dustin Penner
Shane Doan
Ales Hemsky
Brad Boyes
Tim Gleason
Niklas Kronwall
RJ Umberger
Brent Burns
Ryan Suter
Jordan Tootoo
Matt Carkner
Matt Carle
Ray Whitney
Mikhail Grabovski
Only one that I would really target on that list is Suter, but I doubt Nashville will let him go.

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:53 PM
  #9
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Re-sign Prust and maybe MZA and MDZ depending on their seasons.

I'd love to get Sharp and Hemsky next year from free agency, at that point, who would be our most overpaid player?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:25 PM
  #10
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,223
vCash: 50
If Wolski has a breakout year he might be worth an arbitration battle but if he has another 35 point performance they'll likely cut him loose.

I'm not of the opinion that we're even going to have a full NHL season the year after this one, and it is early to predict UFA but you can bet that the Rangers would be big players for Ales Hemsky should he make it to UFA.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 03:25 PM
  #11
NYGBleedBlueNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,791
vCash: 500
I'll drive from WI to MSG to hold a "never fire Sather" sign if he signs Suter

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:03 PM
  #12
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
I think you re-sign Prust and MDZ. Let the rest walk and go forward with a decent amount of cap space. Might not need any significant acquisitions next summer as we can assume one of Hagelin/Thomas/Kreider will definitely be ready for a spot.


Suter probably won't hit free agency and I'm not sure I'd pay what it would cost to lock him up just because our defense is already very good. Gleason or Carle could be realistic possibilities... Carle if we're looking for a proven puck mover who will be solid all-around; Gleason if we're looking for something more similar to Suter's mold (though obviously, no comparison there). Both could be good signings that don't break the bank. Forwards wise... it depends for me a lot more on if a guy like Kreider can jump into our top-six because I think he'd be tremendous on a line with Richards. For that reason, and in order to keep the cap manageable so that we can continue to sign our own guys like Stepan, AA, McD, etc. the next year, I wouldn't want to spend on another big forward. Keep the spots open for Thomas/Kreider to grow into. Maybe play Hagelin on the third line. I'd look into something like Ray Whitney on a cheap two-year deal where he could play in the top-six if needed or play on the third line if one of the rookies impressed enough to slot into the top six.


Last edited by SERE 24: 07-10-2011 at 04:08 PM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:09 PM
  #13
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,305
vCash: 500
I think the following players are who the Rangers would concentrate on if they make it to UFA:

D:
Suter
Burns
Gleason
Kronwall

F:
Semin
Sharp
Doan
Hemsky


IMO Sather has to make a trade either this off-season, this season or next off-season to bring in some more help offensively. I'm fine moving some redundant parts like say Valentenko(if he plays 1 season in the NHL) and some others to open up some spots while upgrading one specific spot in the line-up.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:15 PM
  #14
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think the following players are who the Rangers would concentrate on if they make it to UFA:

D:
Suter
Burns
Gleason
Kronwall

F:
Semin
Sharp
Doan
Hemsky


IMO Sather has to make a trade either this off-season, this season or next off-season to bring in some more help offensively. I'm fine moving some redundant parts like say Valentenko(if he plays 1 season in the NHL) and some others to open up some spots while upgrading one specific spot in the line-up.
Valentenko isn't going to get us an upgrade anywhere. His value is probably like a 6th rounder. I wouldn't be looking at most of those names next season if I were us; we shouldn't be looking to give out any more high cap hit contracts. A couple of choice "smaller" signings would suit us much better. A solid, 3.5M-4.5M winger; not another 5-6M contract. We'll just be in cap hell again.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:26 PM
  #15
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,435
vCash: 500
Its very possible the league and NHLPA make changes to Free Agency after this season. We could see a higher age for Unrestricted Free Agents and perhaps lower compensation for Restricted Free Agents. Also how can we talk about potential cap space when the next CBA will likely lower the cap?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:28 PM
  #16
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Valentenko isn't going to get us an upgrade anywhere. His value is probably like a 6th rounder. I wouldn't be looking at most of those names next season if I were us; we shouldn't be looking to give out any more high cap hit contracts. A couple of choice "smaller" signings would suit us much better. A solid, 3.5M-4.5M winger; not another 5-6M contract. We'll just be in cap hell again.
If Valentenko plays in the NHL for a season his value will not be a 6th rounder.......

People said the same thing about Sauer last year and once he started to play his value went through the roof.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:33 PM
  #17
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Its very possible the league and NHLPA make changes to Free Agency after this season. We could see a higher age for Unrestricted Free Agents and perhaps lower compensation for Restricted Free Agents. Also how can we talk about potential cap space when the next CBA will likely lower the cap?
Because any speculation as to rules in the new CBA are just that... speculation.

Steps will be taken to deal with the potential of a smaller player's cut in the new CBA.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:44 PM
  #18
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If Valentenko plays in the NHL for a season his value will not be a 6th rounder.......

People said the same thing about Sauer last year and once he started to play his value went through the roof.

Valtentko playing a year in the NHL is a big if. Plus Sauer's value isn't that high. We're Rangers fans; it's high to us. Go call 29 other GMs and offer them Sauer straight up; you probably get a 2nd rounder at best. He certainly wouldn't land us an upgrade to our top six either, so the chances Vtank would are pretty much nil. Valentenko isn't going to be as good as Sauer, either. Sauer always had potential and injuries held him back. Vtank is much more one dimensional and just doesn't have as much talent. People are expecting way too much out of the minor D prospects we have like Valentenko/Kundratek/Pashnin... we should just be thankful we developed Staal/Girardi/Sauer/MDZ and acquired McD and Erixon. That's a stable of young thoroughbreds.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:56 PM
  #19
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,878
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=mcsauer2738;34880511]Next summer we will have the following players to make decisions on.

UFA's: sign Prust, Biron ,let Feds, Aves ,EC go
RFA's: depends alot on how they play but regardless Wolski will not be worth 3.8 but may be worth bringing back, Zuke and MDZ should be brought back as they are young

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 04:59 PM
  #20
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Valtentko playing a year in the NHL is a big if. Plus Sauer's value isn't that high. We're Rangers fans; it's high to us. Go call 29 other GMs and offer them Sauer straight up; you probably get a 2nd rounder at best. He certainly wouldn't land us an upgrade to our top six either, so the chances Vtank would are pretty much nil. Valentenko isn't going to be as good as Sauer, either. Sauer always had potential and injuries held him back. Vtank is much more one dimensional and just doesn't have as much talent. People are expecting way too much out of the minor D prospects we have like Valentenko/Kundratek/Pashnin... we should just be thankful we developed Staal/Girardi/Sauer/MDZ and acquired McD and Erixon. That's a stable of young thoroughbreds.
Trading him in a package for a similar young skilled winger who has played in the NHL or is a good prospect is what I am taking about.

Depth is something a team should use to maximize their investments and fill areas of need. If that means dealing Dubinsky + Valentenko after next season for a #1 LW than so be it.

Kundratek is going to be an NHL defenseman as well. And don't forget McIlrath. IMO, the Rangers have (5) more NHL defensemen on their way:

McIlrath
Valentenko
Kundratek
MDZ
Erixon

And then there is the next level of players who have a much smaller chance of making it but one would think possibly one of them would make it as a bottom-pairing guy:
Pashnin
Parlett
Noreau
Ceresnak

And considering the Rangers already have 4 young, solid NHL defensemen, something is eventually going to have to give.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:04 PM
  #21
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,116
vCash: 500
Don't discount that remote possibility that Weber and Parise are also UFAs next year entirely, either.

After this past UFA season, both those guys should be looking for major long-term cap circumvention deals with insane front-loaded money. No telling if Nashville and New Jersey are willing/able to offer that kind of front-loaded money.

In fact, even Kovalchuk didn't get frontloaded money from NJ. The first two years of his deal only paid $6m each. It was the third year and after that jump up beyond $11m, which I always found peculiar. EDIT: So Kovalchuk will get $5m more in real cash at the same time Parise's new contract will be kicking in.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:06 PM
  #22
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,305
vCash: 500
Also, I believe Brodeur is an UFA as well. How about bringing him in as Hanks back-up?


NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
  #23
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
I just don't think Valentenko has the kind of value you think he does. I don't think he's going to be a full-time NHLer in his career. Dubinsky + Valentenko is basically like Dubinsky + 4th rounder or just... Dubinksy. In order to improve you have to weigh things and move players of actual value from areas you feel you have the most strength. The only way you're returning a top-six talent in a trade is if you're including at least one of:

Stepan, Anisimov, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Kreider, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal

Most people don't want to part with any of them. I wouldn't part with 95% of them. But if you want to acquire a top-six forward you're not doing it with Pavel Valentenko. Even if he plays 50 games in the NHL next season and even if you package him with Dubinsky in the off-season (what's the point? Dubinsky just creates a new hole in the top six) you're only going to get someone back who is roughly equivalent of Dubinsky because Vtank just doesn't have any real value. Unless he makes the team (a stretch in my opinion) and then WAY over performs, that isn't changing.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
  #24
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
It'll be hilarious to see the lengths the league goes to to make sure the players win the next CBA hands down like they do every time around.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:21 PM
  #25
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
I just don't think Valentenko has the kind of value you think he does. I don't think he's going to be a full-time NHLer in his career. Dubinsky + Valentenko is basically like Dubinsky + 4th rounder or just... Dubinksy. In order to improve you have to weigh things and move players of actual value from areas you feel you have the most strength. The only way you're returning a top-six talent in a trade is if you're including at least one of:

Stepan, Anisimov, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Kreider, Girardi, Callahan, Dubinsky, Staal

Most people don't want to part with any of them. I wouldn't part with 95% of them. But if you want to acquire a top-six forward you're not doing it with Pavel Valentenko. Even if he plays 50 games in the NHL next season and even if you package him with Dubinsky in the off-season (what's the point? Dubinsky just creates a new hole in the top six) you're only going to get someone back who is roughly equivalent of Dubinsky because Vtank just doesn't have any real value. Unless he makes the team (a stretch in my opinion) and then WAY over performs, that isn't changing.
IMO, Valentenko was ready last season for the NHL. He is in the same mold as Dan Girardi. He blocks a ton of shots and is a warrior. He should be in the NHL to start this season.

I think the Rangers were not sure how his body would react to all of the games he would have to play in NA but his game got better at the end of the season.

Save this post, when he makes the team, people on this board will love him. He plays a style that fans love and teammates appreciate.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.