Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011/2012 Bruins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Ratty

vCash: 500
You've got a great coach there in Toot Cahoon. I'd like to see the Minutemen challenging for HE titles sometime soon.

Old
07-09-2011, 02:08 PM
mloyko

I'm not sure why so many people on here are so high on Bartkowski. I am just not a big fan. I don't think he does anything really exceptional and will probably max out as a #6-7 defenseman in the NHL. If I were ranking our defensive prospects:

1) Dougie Hamilton
2) Tommy Cross- if he stays healthy
3) Ryan Button
4) Steve Kampfer
5) Yuri Alexandrov
6) Maxim Chudinov
7) David Warsofsky
8) Colby Cohen
9) Matt Bartkowski
10) Marc Cantin
11) Zach Trotman

Old
07-09-2011, 02:28 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
You've got a great coach there in Toot Cahoon. I'd like to see the Minutemen challenging for HE titles sometime soon.
think so? Sometimes I wonder

Me too though, hopefully we do better next year, lot's of talent just not much experience

Old
07-09-2011, 03:21 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloyko View Post
I'm not sure why so many people on here are so high on Bartkowski. I am just not a big fan. I don't think he does anything really exceptional and will probably max out as a #6-7 defenseman in the NHL. If I were ranking our defensive prospects:

1) Dougie Hamilton
3) Ryan Button
4) Steve Kampfer
5) Yuri Alexandrov
6) Maxim Chudinov
7) David Warsofsky
8) Colby Cohen
9) Matt Bartkowski
10) Marc Cantin
11) Zach Trotman
Bartowski showed them enough that without a day of previous pro experience he made the roster out of camp last year.

I thought Cross was a clear cut #2 on the list before this week, so nothing has changed there for me.

Beyond that I think there are pluses and minuses for each guy, and it is a matter of how they develop. I'm not big on the BU boys, when I saw Warsofsky he looked physically overmatched in Hockey East, so I have doubts about him in Pro hockey. And Cohen is a kid who doesn't seem to do enough well but maybe he'll learn.

Old
07-09-2011, 06:59 PM
TooMuchMan

A guy I'd like people to take a second look at is Zach Trotman, the young defender from Lake Superior State....

While he probably doesn't have the upside of an Alexandrov, Bartkowski, Warsofsky or Button -- he is a very solid, physical player who's impressed me a great deal over the past three days. He manages gaps well, closes differences relatively quickly and is a decent skater.

The thing that really surprised me, was his wrist-shot. It's not elite by any means (his release is too slow - goalies know its coming) but its very heavy, and more accurate than one would think from a stay-at-home defender-type. I could see him as a bottom-pairing guy who contributes on offense much like Boychuk (triggerman on even-strength).

Just my humble opinion.. I think peep's should give him a closer look...

And a quick re-evaluation of my post-Kampfer/Hamilton D-rankings

1) Button
2) Cross
3) Bartkowski
4) Cohen
5) Warsofsky
6) Alexandrov
7) O'Gara
8) Trotman
9) Cantin
10) Chudinov

Old
07-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Rebound View Post
1) Button
2) Cross
3) Bartkowski
4) Cohen
5) Warsofsky
6) Alexandrov
7) O'Gara
8) Trotman
9) Cantin
10) Chudinov
Seriously? You have Chudinov ranked last?

23 points, +5 and close to 22 minutes per game (24 in the playoffs) as a 21 year old defenseman in the KHL. Did you even know he put up numbers like that or did you just immediately put him in last because he's not at development camp? Be honest because that ranking is ridiculous.

Old
07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
SlickM32

Carl Soderberg is the best of them all

Old
07-10-2011, 09:55 PM
TooMuchMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post

23 points, +5 and close to 22 minutes per game (24 in the playoffs) as a 21 year old defenseman in the KHL. Did you even know he put up numbers like that or did you just immediately put him in last because he's not at development camp? Be honest because that ranking is ridiculous.
He's a good looking kid at this, but not having seen him (and having seen all the others) I have to go on the impressions of others, rankings and scouting reports... and while his play this year undoubtedly excited many, I wouldn't rank him higher than the other guys... perhaps I undervalue him and overvalue the players I've seen, but that's how it works sometimes... I really, really liked what I saw from O'Gara, Trotman and Cantin during the Dev. Camp thus far - which are the ones I'd imagine you disagree with me the most on... that's how I feel - I think there's enough of my opinions out there to inform you one way or another on my aptitude in judging this sort of thing.

Ridiculous or not, feel free to express your incredulity at my apparently unworthy opinions, Cheers.

Old
07-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

Found the key to Zach Hamill's success. From his twitter:

I'm 22 and all I wanna do is sit inside on a sunny day and play ps3

Old
07-11-2011, 12:27 AM
JCRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post

Now THAT makes so much sense.

Old
07-11-2011, 12:48 AM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
He's a good looking kid at this, but not having seen him (and having seen all the others) I have to go on the impressions of others, rankings and scouting reports... and while his play this year undoubtedly excited many, I wouldn't rank him higher than the other guys... perhaps I undervalue him and overvalue the players I've seen, but that's how it works sometimes... I really, really liked what I saw from O'Gara, Trotman and Cantin during the Dev. Camp thus far - which are the ones I'd imagine you disagree with me the most on... that's how I feel - I think there's enough of my opinions out there to inform you one way or another on my aptitude in judging this sort of thing.

Ridiculous or not, feel free to express your incredulity at my apparently unworthy opinions, Cheers.
So seeing guys do a couple drills and scrimmages in person outweighs a very, very impressive campaign by a guy in one of the top leagues in the world?

It would have been better to say something along the lines of "I haven't seen this prospect to rank him fairly," rather than plop him at the end of a list because you saw a few other guys do some drills in person.

Old
07-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPumpedxByxLucicx View Post
Now THAT makes so much sense.
I know maybe if he hit the gym once in a while he wouldn't be a career AHLer.

Old
07-11-2011, 02:39 AM
famadihana

Quote:

I've been enjoying your blog posts, but this logic doesn't make sense. The list would be more valid if you had just kept Chudinov off (noting your lack of knowledge) rather just plopping him down as the worst of the bunch.

Don't mean to be negative -- like I said, really enjoying your blog posts.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:17 AM
TooMuchMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by famadihana View Post
I've been enjoying your blog posts, but this logic doesn't make sense. The list would be more valid if you had just kept Chudinov off (noting your lack of knowledge) rather just plopping him down as the worst of the bunch.

Don't mean to be negative -- like I said, really enjoying your blog posts.
Perhaps I should have left him off, but the fact that he didn't come over to camp this year worries me (I had heard he was going to be there earlier this year) and I don't usually subscribe to the whole "Russian Factor" but it's worrisome and affected my valuation. Numbers 7-11 on my list are all relatively close (IMO) ....

I'm sorry again for suggesting a deep awareness of the kid (if I did) but people were including him in their lists of defenders in our system and I put him where I thought he fit based on my (previously admittedly) limited knowledge of the young man. I don't profess to be some guru on the levels of Bill Ladd, Kirk Luedeke or others, I just give my opinion based on what I know.

Anyway... I wasn't trying to dissemble, I gave a brief list which was based on my then-current appropriation of their relative rankings. It may have been wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) but sometimes, that happens. Anyway, I always appreciate constructive criticisms, and will probably re-evaluate Chudinov...

Old
07-11-2011, 03:15 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:

A little unfair. Lets take a tweet an assume that one statement defines a pro hockey players career. im not a big zach hamill fan but i dont think we need to bash him for offseason tweets.

Old
07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Perhaps I should have left him off, but the fact that he didn't come over to camp this year worries me (I had heard he was going to be there earlier this year) and I don't usually subscribe to the whole "Russian Factor" but it's worrisome and affected my valuation. Numbers 7-11 on my list are all relatively close (IMO) ....

I'm sorry again for suggesting a deep awareness of the kid (if I did) but people were including him in their lists of defenders in our system and I put him where I thought he fit based on my (previously admittedly) limited knowledge of the young man. I don't profess to be some guru on the levels of Bill Ladd, Kirk Luedeke or others, I just give my opinion based on what I know.

Anyway... I wasn't trying to dissemble, I gave a brief list which was based on my then-current appropriation of their relative rankings. It may have been wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) but sometimes, that happens. Anyway, I always appreciate constructive criticisms, and will probably re-evaluate Chudinov...
Chudinov is under contract for one more year with Cherepovets. If he doesn't come over after this year, then it is time to worry.

Point is, you should have just left him off the list then placed him at the bottom solely because you didn't see him run a few drills. No one would have had any problem with that.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:17 PM
TooMuchMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
Chudinov is under contract for one more year with Cherepovets. If he doesn't come over after this year, then it is time to worry.

Point is, you should have just left him off the list then placed him at the bottom solely because you didn't see him run a few drills. No one would have had any problem with that.
That's not what I did or why I did it.

First of all, coming into this camp If asked, my list would have put Chudinov somewhere between 5-7. I haven't seen him live, and only seen minimal footage of the young man, but given the impressions of others whom I respect, that's where I'd put him... O'Gara, Trotman, Cantin and perhaps one of Cross/Warsofsky would be behind him...

In essence according to the HF grading system, I had him at a 6.5 C or 7.0 D, with worries about his commitment to N. American hockey (partly because of his KHL success) and his size (5'11, 187).

But this development camp really opened my eyes to some of the organizational depth in the Bruins' system. Trotman and Cantin both surprised me quite a bit, and I would have to bump up their "HF Grades" in my mind, which surpassed/equaled the unchanged value of Chudinov. O'Gara looked fantastic. Warsofsky had some really strong moments, and Cross was an absolute revelation...

Chudinov is still an intriguing prospect to me... but the play of some of the defenders on that list surpassed my current (again, limited) estimation of his NHL potental. As a result I have him at 10, which might inspire some disdain, but so it goes.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
A little unfair. Lets take a tweet an assume that one statement defines a pro hockey players career. im not a big zach hamill fan but i dont think we need to bash him for offseason tweets.
Normally I would agree with you, but he can't be so naive as to not realize how under the microscope he is this offseason. I'm not insinuating that his tweet provides any meaningful insight into Hamill's failings as a prospect. But I will say that it's a bit of a TMI post when there are multiple articles citing your Bruins career being at a "crossroads."

Old
07-11-2011, 06:29 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 30.5%

god forbid a 22 year old enjoys a little ps3. He should be sleeping in his skates. Bust.

Did you see Jared Knight golfing? Bust.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:14 PM
5 minutes a Knight

Me thinks its the beginning of Hamill shooting his way out of town

Old
07-12-2011, 12:05 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloyko View Post

1) Dougie Hamilton
3) Ryan Button
4) Steve Kampfer
5) Yuri Alexandrov
6) Maxim Chudinov
7) David Warsofsky
8) Colby Cohen
9) Matt Bartkowski
10) Marc Cantin
11) Zach Trotman

Not picking on you in particular, and Chudinov is an interesting prospect, but...

In 2009-10 (as a 21 yr old) Alexandrov put up 6g/15a in 56 games for Cherepovets and 19 pts in PRO the following year in 66 games. This after being regarded as a fairly talented offensive d-man.

In 2010-11 (as a 20-21 yr old) Chudinov put up 8g/15a in 52 games for Cherepovets, and from all I have read/seen on him (which is not a ton) he seems to be more physical than Yuri, but around the same offensively.

Last year in PRO, Bartkowski put up better stats than Alexandrov, and is only 20 days older, so I am not sure how Bartkowski slots in at #9 to Yuri's #5??

If you want to factor in the adjustment to a different culture, etc., that would be fine, but Bartkowski was the one that got the call up, not Alexandrov, which tells you where the BOS coach staff comes down on this issue.

Also, IMO, after seeing Cantin live, he is way better than #10, and I think he could be a real surprise over the next couple of years. Kid is physical, and a much better skater than I thought.

All in all, after adding Hamilton, O'Gara, and Cantin this year, I think the BOS D prospect pool is in much better shape than it was last year.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Has Chudinov said whether he was going to come over once his KHL contract is up?

Old
07-12-2011, 12:24 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Has Chudinov said whether he was going to come over once his KHL contract is up?
Not sure, but he played for the same team as Yuri, and I believe Chudinov has the same agent, so it would not surprise me if this was the case?

This may be what Chudinov is most well known for? I actually saw this video after he was drafted by the B's and thought, good this kid has some ba**s. I find it utterly amusing that Maguire thinks it's great after Schenn beats up the non-fighting Alexanddrov, but Chudinov is the most evil person on the face of the earth because he was a bit chippy. What a joke. If Chudinov had been Canadian, I am sure Pierre would have had a slightly different take?

Old
07-12-2011, 09:19 AM
mikelvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post

How can you call someone's opinion ridiculous on a player that nobody has seen play? Zach Hamill put up point per game numbers in junior, how's that working out for him? You can't judge a player based on numbers a kid has in a subpar slapshot league(that's what it is) on the other side of the freakin' world. Nobody here has any idea whether this kid is any good or not. A lot of people here had Alexandrov penciled in to compete for a job with the B's before he even came over and he has proven that he has a lot of work to do before he even competes for a shot. Nothing ridiculous about that ranking at all. (And please dont' reply with 'Fire Clode')

Old
07-12-2011, 11:35 AM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
How can you call someone's opinion ridiculous on a player that nobody has seen play? Zach Hamill put up point per game numbers in junior, how's that working out for him? You can't judge a player based on numbers a kid has in a subpar slapshot league(that's what it is) on the other side of the freakin' world. Nobody here has any idea whether this kid is any good or not. A lot of people here had Alexandrov penciled in to compete for a job with the B's before he even came over and he has proven that he has a lot of work to do before he even competes for a shot. Nothing ridiculous about that ranking at all. (And please dont' reply with 'Fire Clode')
Well if you can't judge a guy based on actual games played in real life, then you most definitely can't judge a guy based on practice drills and scrimmages like people are doing here.

Not to mention how you are trying to compare major junior to the KHL, which is probably the 2nd best pro league in the world.

Closed Thread