HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Good Skate Deals?

Old
07-10-2011, 01:18 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Good Skate Deals?

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone is aware of any really good deals out there right now where a retailer is selling an older model at a closeout price or something of that sort. I've looked around a bit, but only at the few places I've shopped in the past, and haven't found much.

The reason I ask is because I just picked up my gear from a buddy's house where it had been in his, apparently, really damp basement for a few months (long story... he came up to visit, we played some puck, got drunk that night, the next morning he took off early and was 4 hours away before we realized my gear was in his trunk). Anyhow, it looks like the steel and holder on one of my skates is severely warped.
There's also some serious rust on the steel, which is unfortunate.

Now, I know I could replace the blades/holders and that might be the route that I end up taking, but I wanted to see if anyone knew of some good deals that are out there because I'm still harboring past regrets for settling on the X:60 when my local shop didn't have the One95 in my size. If I could find a closeout One95, or even One90, I'd be willing to give 'em a shot because I find the X:60 to be a little narrow. I'd also be willing to give a different skate a look, though I've been in Bauer for a while and am really comfortable with them, but I'd be wary about going away from Tuuk holders as the last time I tried something different (an E-Pro) it took me a while to adjust. I'd be willing to adjust, if the skate/deal was worth it, but would be most excited if anyone knows where to find a pair of One95s. One100s and TotalOnes are out of the price range

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:51 PM
AIREAYE

The things with closeout skates is that 1) the retailers will probably only have the odd sizes remaining, 2) hard to find and that 3) only the older models are going to be on clearance now.

If you're looking at Supreme, you aren't going to find One90s unless you go the ebay route. Probably the same with the One95s though if you DO find retailers that carry them, you'll have 1) to deal with.

Regarding the X:60s, I hope you realize that there are 2E widths, wider than the standard D right?

If you want to stick to Supremes, you're going to have to wait another year for the current line to go on sale. You might want to scour any used sporting goods stores (Play It Again) for old One90s or 95s (good luck).

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:22 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The things with closeout skates is that 1) the retailers will probably only have the odd sizes remaining, 2) hard to find and that 3) only the older models are going to be on clearance now.

If you're looking at Supreme, you aren't going to find One90s unless you go the ebay route. Probably the same with the One95s though if you DO find retailers that carry them, you'll have 1) to deal with.

Regarding the X:60s, I hope you realize that there are 2E widths, wider than the standard D right?

If you want to stick to Supremes, you're going to have to wait another year for the current line to go on sale. You might want to scour any used sporting goods stores (Play It Again) for old One90s or 95s (good luck).
Yeah, I figured it would be almost impossible to find One90s (just thought I'd mention them because I wouldn't be opposed). I had hoped to find some One95s but it looks like they're gone pretty much everywhere. Not surprising once the price dropped since they're great skates.

With my current X:60s, they're really not *bad* fit wise, but over the years of skating, I've developed this very difficult to describe kind of pinched sensation with the skin on the side of my pinky toes and with the nail on my big toe, because the toe cap on the Vapor line just seems a tad too narrow for my foot. I wouldn't be considering new skates at all if I didn't have the problem with having to replace the holders/steel already, but since I likely will, I figured I'd look into finding some secret pair of One95s that the universe put aside for me before spending the money to repair my skates.

When I tried on the X:60s I tried on the One95s as well and would have preferred to go with them, but it would have meant going up a half size because my size was not in stock. I could have gone to order them online, but I'd have forgone the employee discount that I got at the local proshop because the guy who sold me my skates was a goalie I must have played with 300 times growing up. I decided the X:60s would be perfectly fine, especially considering I was coming from two pairs of XXXXs, but over time I have realized my toes are a little pinches (I also think my toes got wider or more splayed or some thing as I've gotten older, changing the fit just a little bit).

Old
07-10-2011, 06:46 PM
AIREAYE

Wow I mean, you're right about the Supremes, as they do have that wider toebox. Ever tried Easton skates?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:07 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Wow I mean, you're right about the Supremes, as they do have that wider toebox. Ever tried Easton skates?
I skated in Easton skates from like 12 years old to about 16? Then I had two pairs of CCM vectors and than two pairs of Vapor XXXXs. The XXXXs were my favorite skates so far. As I've gotten older or maybe heavier though, I just started to notice that the skin on my pinky toe kind of permanently folds over the nail on the outside where the skates probably pinch a bit. Likewise, the toe on my big nail grows into the skin a little, where the skates probably pinch. I had been skating about 4-6 times a week until I graduated from school so it's enough time in the skates that they could have actually had an effect on my toes. Either way, the Vapor fit is 95% fine, but the toe cap is a little narrow. And like I said, when I first bought the X:60s I had wanted to go with the Supremes, but didn't want to pass up a pretty decent discount so settled for sticking to Vapor. It's not the end of the world; I just figured I'd look into it while I'm in the position to potentially make a change.