HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Camp July 11th-12th (Roster in Post #1)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2011, 11:42 AM
  #51
Kings man 4 life
Registered User
 
Kings man 4 life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Repub. of CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/07/09...morning-notes/

Forbert having Mono Would explain why he didn't burn it up this year in college. Hope he recovers quickly, may take some time as recovering from mono can take up to a year, and shows why DL thought highly enough to draft him.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 04:09 PM
  #52
Peter James Bond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings man 4 life View Post
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/07/09...morning-notes/

Forbert having Mono Would explain why he didn't burn it up this year in college. Hope he recovers quickly, may take some time as recovering from mono can take up to a year, and shows why DL thought highly enough to draft him.
He also had a sprained or even broken wrist...they talked about that at the World Junior Championships. I think this is a main reason he had 0 goals.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 02:15 PM
  #53
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
The camp has been going on every day since Thursday and has been open to the public the whole time. The two "announced" days are the days when there will be scrimmages.

IMHO, Muzzin is the only participant with a snowball's chance of making the Kings out of training camp.


Last edited by Game Misconduct: 07-10-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
  #54
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct View Post
The camp has been going on every day since Thursday and has been open to the public the whole time. The two "announced" days are the days when there will be scrimmages.

IMHO, Muzzin is the only participant with a snowball's chance of making the Kings out of training camp.
Is that your opinion after going down there and watching them, or just from looking at the roster?


Does anyone know why Berube won't be able to participate on ice? I saw on his twitter feed of him saying he was disappointed watching from the stands.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
  #55
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,723
vCash: 500
How is Blaz doing?

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
  #56
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,156
vCash: 500
I believe Berube is recovering from surgery.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:40 AM
  #57
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
How is Blaz doing?
He hasn't played yet. He'll play today.

And Berube's recovering from surgery.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
  #58
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
just got back after watching the scrimmage and some of the group A practice. It was pretty awesome to watch. I'm not the best at analyzing Hockey. But Toffoli looked very good, scored on a nice power forward like drive to the net in the scrimmage. Made it look real easy. He also had a couple really nice goals in the practice. Easily looked like the most dangerous player out there (Vey looked good too and they were on the same line).

Gibson looked shaky and let up three goals in his one period during the scrimmage. One of the goals was really soft, ( I think he was screened though) but it was a shot from the blue line that deflected off a stick early and floated high over the goalies head.

Shore had a very nice goal on a 3 on 1 where he kept the puck and dragged it to the slot and fired same side top shelf. It was a great goal.

Muzzin looked very good in the scrimmage as well. NDes looked decent, I was expecting a little more out of him but he looked like he was kinda coasting. But he definately looked more skilled then the rest of the D-men, he just didnt do a whole lot.


My anaylis leaves a lot to be desired im sure. But the kids looked good.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:56 PM
  #59
redbeard7737
Registered User
 
redbeard7737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Do most Kings fans think Toffoli will become a solid scoring winger for the team in a couple years? I've heard so much written about his skating issues but the kid dominates the OHL. I just wanted to know what you guys thought because you probably follow your prospects closer than I do. Thanks.

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
  #60
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
Do most Kings fans think Toffoli will become a solid scoring winger for the team in a couple years? I've heard so much written about his skating issues but the kid dominates the OHL. I just wanted to know what you guys thought because you probably follow your prospects closer than I do. Thanks.
I think we as Kings fans have very high hopes for Toffoli. Pretty sure most of us feel that he will be a legit NHL sniper and will find a spot in our top 6 within the next three years. Some even think he might make the team this season (probably very unlikely)

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:11 PM
  #61
redbeard7737
Registered User
 
redbeard7737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,783
vCash: 500
Yeah he seems like a special player and there are plenty of top scorers out there who aren't the fleetest of foot. Look forward to seeing him progress. The other kid I question is slava voynov. What more does he need to prove to play in the NHL? And how can the kings fit him in?

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:20 PM
  #62
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
Yeah he seems like a special player and there are plenty of top scorers out there who aren't the fleetest of foot. Look forward to seeing him progress. The other kid I question is slava voynov. What more does he need to prove to play in the NHL? And how can the kings fit him in?
Well Voynov doesnt have anything left to prove. It's just unfortunate for him that our team has such excellent defensive depth. Our top 5 is set with Doughty, JJ, Mitchell, Scuds, and Greene. Then Martinez had a somewhat surprisingly good year last season and just re-upped for 2 more years. So basically our defense is set, no room for Voynov (or hickey/Muzzin for that matter).

I believe we should move some of our more NHL ready D prospects, like Voynov, Hickey and Muzzin. And hold onto our more long-term solutions like NDes and Forbort. As their NHL readiness might be more in line with when we actually have openings for them.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:34 PM
  #63
lumbergh
Registered User
 
lumbergh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
just got back after watching the scrimmage and some of the group A practice. It was pretty awesome to watch. I'm not the best at analyzing Hockey. But Toffoli looked very good, scored on a nice power forward like drive to the net in the scrimmage. Made it look real easy. He also had a couple really nice goals in the practice. Easily looked like the most dangerous player out there (Vey looked good too and they were on the same line).

Gibson looked shaky and let up three goals in his one period during the scrimmage. One of the goals was really soft, ( I think he was screened though) but it was a shot from the blue line that deflected off a stick early and floated high over the goalies head.

Shore had a very nice goal on a 3 on 1 where he kept the puck and dragged it to the slot and fired same side top shelf. It was a great goal.

Muzzin looked very good in the scrimmage as well. NDes looked decent, I was expecting a little more out of him but he looked like he was kinda coasting. But he definately looked more skilled then the rest of the D-men, he just didnt do a whole lot.


My anaylis leaves a lot to be desired im sure. But the kids looked good.
Good stuff, Rusty. Keep it up.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:54 PM
  #64
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
Well Voynov doesnt have anything left to prove. It's just unfortunate for him that our team has such excellent defensive depth. Our top 5 is set with Doughty, JJ, Mitchell, Scuds, and Greene. Then Martinez had a somewhat surprisingly good year last season and just re-upped for 2 more years. So basically our defense is set, no room for Voynov (or hickey/Muzzin for that matter).

I believe we should move some of our more NHL ready D prospects, like Voynov, Hickey and Muzzin. And hold onto our more long-term solutions like NDes and Forbort. As their NHL readiness might be more in line with when we actually have openings for them.
Disagree.

Doesn't matter if Martinez played most of last year and played well. He's not guaranteed a spot like the other 5. I think that Voynov will steal the #6 spot and then Martinez will be the #7 or go down to Manch and DD2 will be the number 7. But thats just me. We'll see how everything shakes out come actual training camp time.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
  #65
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Disagree.

Doesn't matter if Martinez played most of last year and played well. He's not guaranteed a spot like the other 5. I think that Voynov will steal the #6 spot and then Martinez will be the #7 or go down to Manch and DD2 will be the number 7. But thats just me. We'll see how everything shakes out come actual training camp time.
who knows. You might be right. But Voynov might not even be next in line... Muzzin could easily be ahead of him.

Odds are much much better that Martinez is our #6 D-man then Voynov.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:02 PM
  #66
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,431
vCash: 500
How did Toffoli's skating ability look compared to the other prospects?

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:07 PM
  #67
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
who knows. You might be right. But Voynov might not even be next in line... Muzzin could easily be ahead of him.

Odds are much much better that Martinez is our #6 D-man then Voynov.
The thing I see is is that we need another guy who can move the puck from the blueline. No harm will be done if Slava makes the team out of camp and finally is given his shot. If he sucks, send him down and go with AMart. If AMart sucks next year for some reason, call up Muzzin. I'd just really like to see Slava given a chance to play at the NHL. His speed and puck moving ability would be huge for us.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:15 PM
  #68
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
How did Toffoli's skating ability look compared to the other prospects?
His skating didnt look particularly good. But that was really only noticable to me on a dump and chase drill they were doing. Murray was asking the players to go as fast as they could, and Toffoli looked kinda slow and also kinda of took a big turn, while other players were noticably faster and turning tighter.

On the other hand, Like I said earlier he did have a "power forward" like goal, during the scrimmage, where he sealed the defender on his way to the net, held him off well, protected the puck and then made a nifty little finish. it was a very nice goal.

Im sure he scored a fair amount in his practice session, but he had 2 that stood out to me. Both of those he moved very well without the puck (seemed to be generally lurking around the slot when he didnt have the puck). One he basically redirected a pass to him in the slot, and put it top shelf in the corner. (when I say redirected he was probably 10 feet out and the pass came from the side, it was almost a one-timer but he did it so quick and with such little wind-up that i am calling it a redirection)

Then he scored another goal in a similar fashion but this time he caught the puck turned and fired a wristshot top corner.

His hands looked amazing, and his release was sick. Regardless of his skating he should be able to score easy and often in a couple years.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:18 PM
  #69
Rusty Batch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
The thing I see is is that we need another guy who can move the puck from the blueline. No harm will be done if Slava makes the team out of camp and finally is given his shot. If he sucks, send him down and go with AMart. If AMart sucks next year for some reason, call up Muzzin. I'd just really like to see Slava given a chance to play at the NHL. His speed and puck moving ability would be huge for us.
id like to see him play to. I think its a shame that there isnt a spot for him. But A-Mart was really impressive last year. I can't see him losing his spot, and the rest of the guys are all entrenched in their positions.

It's unfortunate but I just don't see Slava fitting into this team as it is currently assembled.

But I would be all for moving one of our current NHL defensemen to open up another spot for one of our young guys, if the return was right.

Rusty Batch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:27 PM
  #70
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Why don't the Kings get that figure skater who turned Brian Boyle's career around to teach Toffoli how to skate? It would seem logical....

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:36 PM
  #71
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,921
vCash: 500
Another puck mover? That's all we have which is why it was tough to part with Teubert...Muzzin, Hickey, Voynov, and Deslauries are all offensive players, Forbort and Campbell are the only two imposing d-men...and that's a stretch for Campbell.

Boyle took it into his own hands to get a skating coach, if he did that here he still might be a King.

What we are missing is an elite scorer and a LW....Hopefully Toffoli and Kitysn can fill those spots...and we don't have any good center prospects behind Loki either.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
  #72
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,975
vCash: 500
Johnny Utah, you should like this tidbit fom Hammonds update:
Quote:
Off the ice, the prospects typically go through extensive workouts. This summer, that includes sessions with a boxing/martial-arts instructor. One Kings staffer told me that the exercises are great for core muscles and also, mentally, help the players build confidence if they find themselves in fighting/physical situations.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/07/11...mp/#more-15478

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
  #73
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Another puck mover? That's all we have which is why it was tough to part with Teubert...Muzzin, Hickey, Voynov, and Deslauries are all offensive players, Forbort and Campbell are the only two imposing d-men...and that's a stretch for Campbell.

Boyle took it into his own hands to get a skating coach, if he did that here he still might be a King.

What we are missing is an elite scorer and a LW....Hopefully Toffoli and Kitysn can fill those spots...and we don't have any good center prospects behind Loki either.
Nic D is more of an all around d man. He'll jump into the play but will mix it up physically too. He reminds me of a more offensive Mattias Norstrom.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:49 PM
  #74
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,921
vCash: 500
I love it. Martial Arts.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:49 PM
  #75
Belanger25
ZUES!
 
Belanger25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Upland
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
His skating didnt look particularly good. But that was really only noticable to me on a dump and chase drill they were doing. Murray was asking the players to go as fast as they could, and Toffoli looked kinda slow and also kinda of took a big turn, while other players were noticably faster and turning tighter.

On the other hand, Like I said earlier he did have a "power forward" like goal, during the scrimmage, where he sealed the defender on his way to the net, held him off well, protected the puck and then made a nifty little finish. it was a very nice goal.

Im sure he scored a fair amount in his practice session, but he had 2 that stood out to me. Both of those he moved very well without the puck (seemed to be generally lurking around the slot when he didnt have the puck). One he basically redirected a pass to him in the slot, and put it top shelf in the corner. (when I say redirected he was probably 10 feet out and the pass came from the side, it was almost a one-timer but he did it so quick and with such little wind-up that i am calling it a redirection)

Then he scored another goal in a similar fashion but this time he caught the puck turned and fired a wristshot top corner.

His hands looked amazing, and his release was sick. Regardless of his skating he should be able to score easy and often in a couple years.
He absolutely ripped that shot, it was insane how little of a wind up he used but he generated a lot of power on that shot, was unreal really.

Here's my thoughts on some of the players.

Toffoli, yeah he's going to be a scorer. While his skating may not be the best if he can find the area where the puck's going to be he's going to put it home. As I said above the shot he took on Gibson was a blast and he might have wound up to his lower shins. His goal in the prospect game was pretty good considering he capitalized on a turn over by Alex Roach and then walked in and looked like he banged it home on Machovsky. Toffoli was with Jordan Nolan and Linden Vey for most of the practice. I think the first four shots I saw Toffoli take he either scored or hit the post. That was shooting against Jones or Gibson.

Nolan, he shot a lot of pucks high and wide. Made me comment on twitter it was like Stoll. But he was way closer in and still missed. Looks like he's figuring out how to play down low and he wasn't too bad when he was doing that in the scrimmage game.

Kouzn, the guy has some moves and some speed, seems to understand the game well. Notices that he has time and space and finds the pass. Scored a pretty nice goal during the drills finding the top corner on one of the three goalies.

Kaunisto, has a pretty good shot, he was picking corners on the goalies during the drills. Likes the glove hand corner and he was doing a good job finding those corners. Looks like he could make a play at a job eventually.

Jones looked really good in net, and he looks very composed while in net, but that's to be expected when he's the vet goalie in camp.

Gibson I was kind of disappointed how it went for him, but there are things that I didn't like about his glove hand. The scrimmage game he allowed three goals but really I'd say two weren't his fault. The first goal I'm still not sure how it got in. Alex Roach shot it from the point and it must have hit a stick high and it looked like it fluttered over his head and in the net. The 2nd goal was disappointing, first off his team made an absolute **** line change which lead to a 2 on 1/3 on 1 against him. Shore ended up beating him with the shot. What bothered me about the shot was Gibson didn't quite play it well, Shore didn't look to pass off to the other player which turned it shooter against goalie and Shore made a nice shot over the glove hand of Gibson, but it was kind of far out and I didn't like the glove movement from him. Just my thought. The third goal was another bad line change which led to a 2 on 0 where he ended up getting beat on a deke.

Deslauries I thought looked decent, he made a great passing play with a couple of other players after he led the rush and he ended up getting the shot. Goalie made a strong save but he made the play and looked calm and cool while making the play.

Muzzin just looked calmer than everyone else. You can tell he's the guy with NHL experience because he was able to slow things down and play the game a bit better than everyone else.

I really enjoyed watching Colin Miller, as he made a bunch of plays that I actually remembered who he was at multiple times. The guy is still young with a late 92 birthday. He turns 19 in October.

Best hit by far was Michael Kantor on Kevin Gravel, wow did Kantor just wipe him out, beautiful hit.

Michael Schumacher is tall, a lot taller than the 6'3' that's listed on the sheet.

Here's the Mignardi penalty shot goal, video isn't the best. But here it is. http://www.twitvid.com/QHHKT

Belanger25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.