Notices

Joe Corvo a Bruin

Old
07-09-2011, 06:07 PM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
^^ I'm with you here, ODAAT. We've all made our share of mistakes, big and small. I have a friend who did something pretty reprehensible many years ago but I've remained his friend through his tough times.
Please note: I'm not trying to say I'm "better" because I stuck with him. Just that everyone has their own way of handling things and that no two situations are identical.
Nor am I "better", I just believe as the recipient of many 2nd chances himself, it would be pretty hypocritical of me to not offer someone the same opportunities to prove they can change.

He was wrong, he`s owes this fan (a Bruin fan by the way) nothing in the way of explanations/statements about what happened. I know what happened and I know how he has conducted himself since.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:21 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

This thread cracks me up.

Were Corvo's actions wrong and legally actionable? Yes and yes.

But, let's not go overboard.

For those of you old enough to remember...it's not like he actually killed anyone, as did our former Bruins fav Craig McTavish. No, Craig was whisked out of town quietly, traded to the Cup dynasty Oilers, had a very successful career and later became an NHL coach.

His actions were wrong-er than Corvo's (vehicular homicide while driving under the influence).

People would be calling for the death penalty for him in this thread if you substituted him for Corvo, but whatever.

Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
2014 Bruins turned me into South Shore Kings fan
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 06:29 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post

For those of you old enough to remember...it's not like he actually killed anyone, as did our former Bruins fav Craig McTavish. No, Craig was whisked out of town quietly, traded to the Cup dynasty Oilers, had a very successful career and later became an NHL coach.

His actions were wrong-er than Corvo's (vehicular homicide while driving under the influence).

People would be calling for the death penalty for him in this thread if you substituted him for Corvo, but whatever.

Good points, I sure didn`t hear too many, or read too many threads pop up whenever Corvo was traded/moved or signed anywhere else before but now......I get that now he is a Bruin and we hold our Bruins to different standards.

There is absolutely no way he (Chia) threatens the chemistry that has been well developed on this team by adding a guy who is trouble or has a continued pattern of conduct not becoming the team he now plays for IMO.

Old
07-10-2011, 08:06 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
On another note anyone hear Felger mentioning the rumor that it wasnt a woman but a tranny?
Corvo shoved a transmission to the ground and kicked it? Auto or standard? A buddy of mind dropped a manifold (manny?) on the ground and kicked it and almost broke his toe.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:20 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Come on Rick..

Seriously, what would it take for you to do what he did? I know I'd never do it - Because of my job I've been in dozens of situations where women were rude, disrespectful and even aggressive toward me and I've never been close to striking them. Not once.

I just have to laugh at how I'm being vilified for expecting more from the Bruins but the woman-beater is welcomed with open arms because he can help the powerplay.
Yep funny as hell.. Bruins blinders at it's best...Who cares what the guy did, as long as he can "help us win".... Pathetic. Bruins went out and sought Corvo out and traded for him...A select few of us aren't OK with that with good reason IMO....Others don't care...speaks volumes.... all for a guy who can't play defense and lead the Hurricanes to a bottom three overall PP percentage...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:21 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post

Awesome..so murder is the cutoff...anything before that is acceptable...LOL

Old
07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I know it was brought up in Carolina because thats where most of his comments on the matter came from. After Ottawa. The Canadian media tries to keep those things quiet, but they tore him apart about it in Ottawa after he left. I have to doubt that not one single reporter asked him about it while he was there.

But quite frankly, in a country where David Frost and Graham James are free men with no criminal records, what Joe Corvo did probably doesn't seem so bad.
Canada can only strive to have a justice system as flawless as the one in the USA.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:11 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Canada can only strive to have a justice system as flawless as the one in the USA.

Agreed

One would have to actually read something other than the "Sports" section of their newspaper to understand just unbelievably inaccurate his view of our legal system is and then perhaps he would feel different about the flawlessness of the one in the U.S of A

Neither system is anywhere close to flawless as you and I and most know patty, nor do I make exceptionally general opinions of a nation as a whole based on their legal system.

Old
07-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I am not against the signing but to be honest if my friend beat up a chick like that I probably would not be their friend.

On another note anyone hear Felger mentioning the rumor that it wasnt a woman but a tranny?
Depends... if your friend is not the type to beat people... who is a friendly, caring person... and he simply snap for some reason... and is aware of is mistake and does everything to try to fix the problem...tells you that he feels bad about it and dont understand what happens... feels remorse and everyting... does everything right for the past 10 years... dont you thing this person deserves a second chance?

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Briere Up There*

The United States is much larger (population and province wise, 50 vs 13) and subsequently the legal system is hit or miss, depending on where you live. Someone from Massachusetts should probably refrain from insulting the Canadian justice system however.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Awesome..so murder is the cutoff...anything before that is acceptable...LOL

Truth be told... For some reason, I don't really care one way or the other about this. I don't like Joe Corvo and this is just... I don't know. Part of that, maybe?

The thing that gets me, is not that anyone is excusing his actions... But the idea that "Ok, so he beat the **** out of a woman... Whatever, you know" is considered by some to be the more reasoned and mature response than "I don't want this guy on my team. I don't like him. He beat the **** out of a woman."

Last edited by Mr. Make-Believe: 07-10-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

This issue is way over blowen, let it rest. Anyways if people have a problem with Corvo for something he did a decade ago, why isn't anyone crying about Boychuk slapping Spacek around just a few months ago?

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Andrew83

Given his seemingly lenient sentence, I wonder if there were any mitigating circumstances the judge was made aware of but we don't know about. It's definitely really tough to give Corvo the benefit of the doubt because at a minimum it sounds like he had major rage/sexual harassment/alcohol issues during that time in his life. On the other hand, in the particular incident it was a one-time thing kind of a long time ago and I don't think he ever put anyone's life in danger, unlike if a player had been drunk driving where there is always a risk of actually killing multiple people (yet I think we would tend to be more willing to overlook/forgive a player's DUI for some reason). On the positive side, I think I remember reading that the victim was able to win some money in a civil suit against Corvo.

Andrew83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 01:46 PM
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

Truth be told... For some reason, I don't really care one way or the other about this. I don't like Joe Corvo and this is just... I don't know. Part of that, maybe?

The thing that gets me, is not that anyone is excusing his actions... But the idea that "Ok, so he beat the **** out of a woman... Whatever, you know" is considered by some to be the more reasoned and mature response than "I don't want this guy on my team. I don't like him. He beat the **** out of a woman."
Personally, I don't understand him, I don't like him, frankly I don't know why... etc.

marshmont.

In all seriousness, it happened before his time with the Bruins, and has been dealt with. I don't think anyone is saying they agree with it/condone it because that would be silly. They just don't think that it will have a great effect on the locker room. If anything he'll be straightened out by one of our fine gentlemen

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 05:10 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
Given his seemingly lenient sentence, I wonder if there were any mitigating circumstances the judge was made aware of but we don't know about. It's definitely really tough to give Corvo the benefit of the doubt because at a minimum it sounds like he had major rage/sexual harassment/alcohol issues during that time in his life. On the other hand, in the particular incident it was a one-time thing kind of a long time ago and I don't think he ever put anyone's life in danger, unlike if a player had been drunk driving where there is always a risk of actually killing multiple people (yet I think we would tend to be more willing to overlook/forgive a player's DUI for some reason). On the positive side, I think I remember reading that the victim was able to win some money in a civil suit against Corvo.
As Bruwinz mentioned, Felger was talking last week about the rumor that the person Corvo assaulted was actually a transvestite. And if so, doesn't that sort of change the whole conversation, because it would have been a male he actually attacked?

Still a DB move if so, and if he really kicked the person with a shod foot that's a felony I believe. Again, odd that a felony is shown such judicial leniency. So I agree, I think there's more to this story.

Fact is, either way Corvo messed up something fierce almost 10 years ago. Since then he's shown remorse, at least publicly, and kept his nose clean. Given that I am willing to give him a chance.

As an aside, do people hate say, Brandon Merriweather, with this sort of vitriol? He was just the first person who came to mind, but every team in Boston has a list of off-field transgressions from players over the last 30-40 years. It's far from just MacTavish.

Not saying that makes it ok at all, just that sometimes people screw up and maybe they learn from that and improve. Corvo's shown me no reason to think he hasn't.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

A sign that this has gone too far: Was at development camp today and as I was on my phone a kid is giving someone on the phone a rundown and all of a sudden says "yea the wife beater can't stand him." This guy can't catch a break. People who have no clue who he is have automatically written him off. Sad. I hope Joe comes in and plays very well just to shut people up.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
A sign that this has gone too far: Was at development camp today and as I was on my phone a kid is giving someone on the phone a rundown and all of a sudden says "yea the wife beater can't stand him." This guy can't catch a break. People who have no clue who he is have automatically written him off. Sad. I hope Joe comes in and plays very well just to shut people up.
A goal or a couple assists in his first game and this is old news. On the other hand, if he gets off to a slow start, he'll be more vilified in this town than LeBron James.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
C77

Nevermind the Bruins...Corvo shouldn't be allowed to seek employment anywhere!

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
smack66

clearly Seguin should be traded for violating Mass. laws as he was drinking alcohol after the cup win even though he is not of age..( insert sarcasm )

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Nevermind the Bruins...Corvo shouldn't be allowed to seek employment anywhere!
At MY job they don't allow this blahblahblahblah*indignation*

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 07:53 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
As Bruwinz mentioned, Felger was talking last week about the rumor that the person Corvo assaulted was actually a transvestite. And if so, doesn't that sort of change the whole conversation, because it would have been a male he actually attacked?

Still a DB move if so, and if he really kicked the person with a shod foot that's a felony I believe. Again, odd that a felony is shown such judicial leniency. So I agree, I think there's more to this story.

Fact is, either way Corvo messed up something fierce almost 10 years ago. Since then he's shown remorse, at least publicly, and kept his nose clean. Given that I am willing to give him a chance.

As an aside, do people hate say, Brandon Merriweather, with this sort of vitriol? He was just the first person who came to mind, but every team in Boston has a list of off-field transgressions from players over the last 30-40 years. It's far from just MacTavish.

Not saying that makes it ok at all, just that sometimes people screw up and maybe they learn from that and improve. Corvo's shown me no reason to think he hasn't.
Then Corvo shouldn't have grabbed the ass of a person with an adam's apple..

He plays defense about as well as he does telling male from female then...

Old
07-10-2011, 07:54 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
At MY job they don't allow this blahblahblahblah*indignation*
Yeah good luck getting a job with that on your resume...

Old
07-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Then Corvo shouldn't have grabbed the ass of a person with an adam's apple..

He plays defense about as well as he does telling male from female then...

Come on Whammer...I'm sure the 1st time you saw this video you were like " what the hell is she talking about...I'm a man without conviction..."

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:03 PM
C77

Anyways as far as "chemistry" concerns go I remember former NBA player John Salley saying "I didn't care if a guy was a Klansman as long as he could shoot the J."

Winning, and not the Charlie Sheen kind, builds chemistry.

Many guys last year had reduced roles on the team from what they were used to either previously or on other teams and none of them complained because they were winning.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1821 View Post
Per Bruce Garrioch and Kirk - Joe Corvo to Bruins for a 4th

V
The original post is what bothers me most.

It should read.

Per Kirk and bruce garrioch- joe Corvo to the Bruins for a 4th.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote