HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

All Time Draft Book

Old
11-19-2008, 10:50 AM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
As I've said before, I'm only interested in doing this if I see some sort of plan that I think will work. Call me realistically skeptical. And that's not just how we're going to do the draft, and put it into a book format. It's a plan for how we're going to get this thing published.

Publishers will only publish books that they think will make money. I've talked to a lot of authors who have written good books, but the biggest challenge for them has been getting their book published.

I won't work on it if I don't think it'll be published. If you guys go through something like Insta-book (doesn't that name inspire?) then that's one thing, but don't expect to be making any money (in fact, you'll probably lose money) if you go the Insta-book route.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:25 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
sending out queries private messages today

===========================

looking to see who is interested in the book concept starting sometime in late Feb. I just want to see who is still interested in going forward.So please pm me back your interest. I want to see who is going to go forward with this if not I will look to get other hockey people to participate in the draft. I plan on making a lot of contacts this week.

as of last fall the interested GM's were:

AgentDaleCooper, chaosrevolver, EagleBelfour, FissionFire, God Bless Canada, Hockey Outsider, Jungosi , kruezer, LaperriereSports, Leaf lander, McLovin, monster_bertuzzi, Murphy, Nalyd Psycho, Nate the Great, pappyline, papershoes, pitseleh, Pwnasaurus, raleh, seventieslord, shawnmullin, Spitfire11, Sturminator, Transplanted Caper,Vakar Lajos, VanIslander

down as a maybe.
-reckoning

Uninterested GM's

Frightened inmate #2
MXD -is busy
Wasn't interested a few months ago, still not interested. I don't think you guys realize a) the challenges of getting published, and b) how little interest there is for a product like this. Actually stepping into the Leafs war room for a real-world draft and writing about it with a unique angle and with style might sell; stepping into 32 fictitious war rooms simultaneously and regurgitating 700+ short biographies reads like you're punching "Random Article" on wikipedia over and over again for no particular reason. Good luck, guys, but no thanks.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 12:42 PM
seventieslord

I think I fall somewhere in-between GBC and cottonking on the opinion spectrum. This won't be successful. It can't be. Who would buy it?

If I didn't participate and chose to watch what happened, and you did manage to put something out, sure, I would buy it. But I am mega-interested in the history of hockey, in biographies of ATD-worthy players, and I am a current ATD/MLD GM. Who else wants this book?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think I fall somewhere in-between GBC and cottonking on the opinion spectrum. This won't be successful. It can't be. Who would buy it?

If I didn't participate and chose to watch what happened, and you did manage to put something out, sure, I would buy it. But I am mega-interested in the history of hockey, in biographies of ATD-worthy players, and I am a current ATD/MLD GM. Who else wants this book?
America voted (me)...and they agree with....seventieslord.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
the negatives of doing this book have been covered in this thread pretty diligently by FI#2

If a gm wasn't interested when pm'd by me they should had just pm'd me back.

I think I want a smaller group of individuals to work with anyways.

I am currently working on the book format. Ill be in touch via pm on facebook.

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
camperjr

Quote:
the negatives of doing this book have been covered in this thread pretty diligently by FI#2

What if you don't have facebook? I do I'm just wondering

camperjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 04:25 PM
seventieslord

Quote:

OK.

I guess, for the record, then, count me out. With or without me, I don't think this will even get off the ground, let alone be successful. I think that I could be valuable to such a thing if properly done and organized, but I certainly won't be the factor that brings this thing past the tipping point from failure to success.

If it does get off the ground and published, good for you, and good for all of you who went along with LL (I have a feeling that many of you are doing so with reservations). I will certainly buy a copy and I hope it is a lot like I envision in my own little utopian view of what this could be. Either way, if it is loaded with detailed player bios, I will be delighted to own it, but I don't see many other people who aren't ATD GMs lining up at the bookstore at 7:30 AM on the day of its release.

If it becomes successful and makes you guys money, and I could have been a part of that, that is the only scenario that will be regrettable for me. That said, how much money would the book have to make, where 1/24th of the net earnings are an amount of money that I will truly regret not taking the time and putting in the work to earn? In all honesty, it would probably have to net $500,000.

Good luck to you.

Old
11-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Leaf Lander

it is a long term project and anyone who thinks we will make money of this has there heads in the clouds.

seventieslord There is no need to say no twice in the thread within a few hrs of each other

Old
11-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Leaf Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjr View Post
What if you don't have facebook? I do I'm just wondering
get fb like the rest of the world

Old
11-19-2008, 04:52 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
it is a long term project and anyone who thinks we will make money of this has there heads in the clouds.

seventieslord There is no need to say no twice in the thread within a few hrs of each other
Did you just say there is no need to say something twice? I refer you to your mass PM from this morning.

Quote:
looking to see who is interested in the book concept starting sometime in late Feb. I just want to see who is still interested in going forward.So please pm me back your interest. I want to see who is going to go forward with this if not I will look to get other hockey people to participate in the draft. I plan on making a lot of contacts this week.
I get the impression from this that,

a) you are looking to see who is still interested,
b) you want to see who is still interested in going forward, and
c) you want to see who is going to go forward.

Wasn't it you who talked about the book actually making money earlier on in this thread? Or am I mistaken?

But anyway... no, I'm not interested in going forward. I hope you understand that I am not going forward. I'm not going forward but I'll buy the book. I hope you do well but I'm not interested in doing it myself. I'm interested in the book, but not in making the book. So good luck but I am not interested in being interested in going forward with going forward.

Old
11-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Leaf Lander

seventieslord you are definitely trolling now

your acting like you are 10 yrs old who is going backwards but not forward

you are out of the project and deserve no answers

please do not post here anymore unless you decide join the effort.

thanks

Old
11-19-2008, 05:07 PM
seventieslord

You don't own any thread, no matter how high your post count gets.

Old
11-19-2008, 05:15 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
... I'm not going forward but I'll buy the book. I hope you do well but I'm not interested in doing it myself. I'm interested in the book, but not in making the book...
ditto

I mentioned on the thread that I myself had my own plan, not for your idea of a fantasy draft book, but for a Top-1000 players of all-time book. I am on the record in the thread of stating my idea. Your idea seems to have morphed closer to mine. I dunno. I have two other books to write before I can seriously consider my idea anyways.

With your fantasy draft book in whatever form it takes, may you find the time, hard work, dedication and commitment it takes to finish it. Believe me, writing abook is hard enough, doing it as a team endeavour takes a lot of patience and organizational skill.

Good luck with that.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
ditto

I mentioned on the thread that I myself had my own plan, not for your idea of a fantasy draft book, but for a Top-1000 players of all-time book. I am on the record in the thread of stating my idea. Your idea seems to have morphed closer to mine. I dunno. I have two other books to write before I can seriously consider my idea anyways.

With your fantasy draft book in whatever form it takes, may you find the time, hard work, dedication and commitment it takes to finish it. Believe me, writing abook is hard enough, doing it as a team endeavour takes a lot of patience and organizational skill.

Good luck with that.
Not a bad idea, however, I think LL's book would have a better chance at getting published than that. Your idea's probably better for a book, but for something like that we'd need one of two things that none of us(or very few of us) have: credibility or recognition. I've never referenced the HOH Top 100 in an argument(at least I don't think), and if I ever do it will only be to prove a point and be in conjuction with the THN Top 100 list(you might see what I'm talking about later) based on the first one. No offense to any of you gents, especially the ones who made the list(IMO you did a hell of a job, to be honest), but let's face it, you, and the rest of us, for that matter, are a bunch of guys on a message board. Sure, we have knowledge and resources and all that jazz, but there's a reason the Thrashers aren't calling asking us to scout for them, or why Bob Gainey isn't calling asking our opinions on a potential trade. And even in some cases you don't need any real credibility, like with Bob McCown. He's put out a book, yet I wouldn't say he's credible at all. Or better yet, Eklund of all people actually makes money off his website(I believe, anyway). But they have recognition. Again, we're a bunch of guys on a message board. Nothing wrong with that, but no publisher in his right mind would think our opinions could sell a book.

I think both ideas have little to no shot at getting anywhere off the ground, but with LL's there is the off chance that some publisher loves the story and thinks it'll sell. Not sure that would happen with a Top 1000 book. Either way, I'm not holding my breath on any impending book deals coming from the ATD or HOH boards.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
I got a tonne of ideas on how i want to do this we do need to deconstruct it to make it different from this sites draft

add me to Facebook

Paul Capstick is my name and when you search my name I am by the stanely cup and 2 RCMP officers are behind me and the cup
Paulie, come on now. You know who I am! We've been facebook buds for over a year!

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Leaf Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Paulie, come on now. You know who I am! We've been facebook buds for over a year!
indeed but i thought we were more like brothers then just buds

Old
11-27-2008, 10:53 AM
JFA87-66-99

This would be the greatest hockey book of all-time if done correctly. I'd like to own one when finished. I'd also be willing to help?

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 03:53 AM
Leaf Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
This would be the greatest hockey book of all-time if done correctly. I'd like to own one when finished. I'd also be willing to help?
finally another visionary!!

Old
11-30-2008, 08:36 PM
JFA87-66-99

How is it going? How do you guys get your info about old-time euro players. Besides a few books that I have and maybe a little info off the internet I find it hard to learn about these players.

Old
10-10-2009, 07:30 PM
JFA87-66-99

Still could be the greatest hockey book ever written.

Old
10-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Leaf Lander

it should be ready for a nice xmass stuffer

Old
10-12-2009, 12:45 AM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
it should be ready for a nice xmass stuffer
I wish. This book should become a reality

Old
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Bumping this to see if anything ever materialized. This is the first I've heard of it and I think it would be an interesting thing to work on, but I agree that it likely wouldn't succeed because nobody would really want it.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:25 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Bumping this to see if anything ever materialized. This is the first I've heard of it and I think it would be an interesting thing to work on, but I agree that it likely wouldn't succeed because nobody would really want it.
Draft after draft, we are gathering a boatload of information, and I believe enough to make a book of it. However, we would need a few extremely dedicated person to assemble all those information and put it in a readable format. I'm definitely not one of them, but if a few of you are ready to put a handful of hundred hours each into such a project, I would be here to support and help as much as I can.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote