HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky and Couturier questions/comments

Old
07-10-2011, 08:45 PM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Leighton View Post
Coots? That is one ****ing terrible nickname.
Either you're a Phantoms fan or your nickname is worse.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Either you're a Phantoms fan or your nickname is worse.
wait you think Coots is cool?

you probably think J-Will for Justin Williams was cool too

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
wait you think Coots is cool?

you probably think J-Will for Justin Williams was cool too
Well, knowing hockey nicknames, it's either Coots or Cootsie. I think I would prefer Coots...

If Couturier turns into Jordan Staal, I'd be happy. Take a look at the list of previous #8 selections (or top 10 picks in general) and gain some perspective... he could do A LOT worse than a 2-way, 60 point player. Can he better? Sure. Can he be a hell of a lot worse? Abso-****ing-lutely.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Yoshimitsu

No nickname will be as bad as "Gags."

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Well, knowing hockey nicknames, it's either Coots or Cootsie. I think I would prefer Coots...

If Couturier turns into Jordan Staal, I'd be happy. Take a look at the list of previous #8 selections (or top 10 picks in general) and gain some perspective... he could do A LOT worse than a 2-way, 60 point player. Can he better? Sure. Can he be a hell of a lot worse? Abso-****ing-lutely.
His nickname is Couts. I'll just call him SC instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Uppy

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:39 AM
captainpaxil

id been having some computer issues so last id really heard cooter (somebody on the team gotta be a dukes fan) was the top pick. i was ecstatic when i heard the flyers got him. and to get a little back on topic. i think its possibe he could push giroux back to right wing or with his frame could move to left. either way the potential is there to be a very good to elite top line player.

jvr cooter giroux

or
cooter schenn simmonds

could be very legit lines maybe as soon as this year.
i really reallly like this kid

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:54 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
Semin has a worse nickname, bar none.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Thanks for proving once again why you're a bartender and not a writer.
As insufferable as this pissing contest has been (what else is new?), I laughed at this. You wonder how many times (if ever) some of these "writers" have actually watched a prospect play a game. At least when I'm talking about a player I've never seen, I'll preface it by saying so.

Anyway, Chris, where do you bartend in DC? I gotta stop in sometime one of these weekends. What drink do you make best? Come on, don't be bashful. I'm more of a gin and tonic or White Russian guy, depending on the night and mood.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:28 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
No, Chris clearly stated, and then reiterated, that Jordan Staal would be a disappointing result.
based on his potential, not the pick or the trade

Last edited by GKJ: 07-11-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: no need
tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:25 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
i agree. if he turns out to be jordan staal i would be happy as a pig in poop. i just think some people were misunderstanding Chris' point that he has the potential to be even better.

if he turns out like jordan, eric or anywhere in between homer won that trade.
Nobody misunderstood.

It's Jester's job to troll and overreact to a point where people think I said something I didn't?

Not to mention bringing what I do for a weekend job onto a website. Why? Because a recent college grad with a fairly useless English degree is not allowed to work a freaking bar? It's pathetic that he has to start fights like this.

Back on point though, either way this argument goes I'm right.

A) Either Jordan Staal reaches this "prime" everyone keeps raving about, becoming a better player than he is currently, thus fitting right in with the offensive and defensive potential of one Sean Couturier...

Or

B) Jordan Staal never reaches the potential that Sean Couturier currently has, and Couturier's better comparisons are players like Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour.

I believe Couturier to have just as much defensive potential and even more offensive potential than Jordan Staal. So yes, if Couturier stagnates into the 25-30-55 point player that I currently believe Jordan Staal to be, I would be disappointed.

Last edited by CS: 07-11-2011 at 09:48 AM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Nobody misunderstood.

It's Jester's job to troll and overreact to a point where people think I said something I didn't.

Not to mention bringing what I do for a weekend job onto a website. Why? Because a recent college grad with a fairly useless English degree is not allowed to work a freaking bar? It's pathetic that he has to troll to such levels.

Back on point though, either way this argument goes I'm right.

A) Either Jordan Staal reaches this "prime" everyone keeps raving about, becoming a better player than he is currently, thus fitting right in with the offensive and defensive potential of one Sean Couturier...

Or

B) Jordan Staal never reaches the potential that Sean Couturier currently has, and Couturier's better comparisons are players like Eric Staal and Rod Brind'Amour.

I believe Couturier to have just as much defensive potential and even more offensive potential than Jordan Staal. So yes, if Couturier stagnates into the 25-30-55 point player that I currently believe Jordan Staal to be, I would be disappointed.
I love when you claim you didn't say things that you clearly did say.

Quote:
Couts has more offensive potential than a Brind'Amour, Primeau, M. Richards, or E. Staal.

I don't know why people insist on putting J. Staal on that list. J. Staal is probably Couts' basement. I mean he theoretically could fall further, but I consider Couts turning into J. Staal as a disappointment. He's better than that.
Pretty *ing clear, Chris. That isn't ambiguous language in the slightest. That is what folks (other than me) have reacted to as being a dumb *ing thing to say, and here you've reiterated it again. Disappointment is a BUST. Which is a distinct possibility with any 18 y/o prospect. Getting a legitimate difference maker (which Jordan Staal is) is a huge *ing win, even if it isn't the HR that you might imagine is possible.

As to you being a bartender, you're allowed to do whatever you want in life. For a few years now you've had a cockiness and arrogance born of your "expert" status that has been comical given the opinions you've put forward... made all the more comical by the fact that you are in fact in no position to actually be an expert. Then you say stuff in this thread that shows a gross lack of understanding for the production outputs of players in the NHL (really, 20 goal scorers aren't a big deal?) and it further cements the fact that anyone that bothers to read your prospect articles is completely and utterly wasting their time.

In all seriousness, did you attend a single Phantoms game last year?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
based on his potential, not the pick or the trade
Which is *ing stupid. Players routinely come nowhere close to their max potential. In fact, it is FAR MORE likely that a drafted prospect will fall well short of their potential. The bar Shafer set is essentially that of an All-Star level player.

Did I say ANYTHING about the trade in this thread?

When you buy a lottery ticket you have the potential to win millions of dollars, are you disappointed if you win $50?

Last edited by GKJ: 07-11-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: quoted post was edited
Old
07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
The bar Shafer set is essentially that of an All-Star level player.
No, the bar Shafer set is that of a first-line forward.

I would hope he becomes some superstar as his potential dictates, but we all know how rare that is.

I think an extremely good third-line center would be a disappointment quite frankly. I don't think I'm alone either.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:17 AM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

Quote:
Which is *ing stupid. Players routinely come nowhere close to their max potential. In fact, it is FAR MORE likely that a drafted prospect will fall well short of their potential. The bar Shafer set is essentially that of an All-Star level player.

Did I say ANYTHING about the trade in this thread?

When you buy a lottery ticket you have the potential to win millions of dollars, are you disappointed if you win $50?
Sean Couturier isn't a ****ing lottery ticket. A 2nd rounder is a lottery ticket. You don't hope for the best out of your highly touted draft pick whom you gave up Jeff Carter for. You expect the best.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Sean Couturier isn't a ****ing lottery ticket. A 2nd rounder is a lottery ticket. You don't hope for the best out of your highly touted draft pick whom you gave up Jeff Carter for. You expect the best.
And that's how you set yourself up to be disappointed due to dumb expectations. It isn't Couturier's fault we traded Jeff Carter for him, and that will have absolutely nothing to do with how he develops at this level.

Just like how so many people were DISAPPOINTED that Carter didn't score 45 goals every year.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Honestly considering how great his offensive numbers have been so far in juniors, and how much better they are than Staal's were, I would be somewhat disappointed if he didn't turn into a superior offensive player.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
No, the bar Shafer set is that of a first-line forward.

I would hope he becomes some superstar as his potential dictates, but we all know how rare that is.

I think an extremely good third-line center would be a disappointment quite frankly. I don't think I'm alone either.
A 70+ point forward is All-Star level.

Suddenly a 25-35-60 guy doesn't sound so bad? Briere didn't even get out of the 60s last year and he does that partially by not even bothering to play D.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:24 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Suddenly a 25-35-60 guy doesn't sound so bad? Briere didn't even get out of the 60s last year and he does that partially by not even bothering to play D.
How old is Briere?

And PLEASE GOD LET COUTURIER SCORE LIKE BRIERE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

Wait, are we comparing him to Staal or to a 60 point forward? Staal has never scored 50 points let alone 60.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Jtown

Quote:
I love when you claim you didn't say things that you clearly did say.

Pretty *ing clear, Chris. That isn't ambiguous language in the slightest. That is what folks (other than me) have reacted to as being a dumb *ing thing to say, and here you've reiterated it again. Disappointment is a BUST. Which is a distinct possibility with any 18 y/o prospect. Getting a legitimate difference maker (which Jordan Staal is) is a huge *ing win, even if it isn't the HR that you might imagine is possible.

As to you being a bartender, you're allowed to do whatever you want in life. For a few years now you've had a cockiness and arrogance born of your "expert" status that has been comical given the opinions you've put forward... made all the more comical by the fact that you are in fact in no position to actually be an expert. Then you say stuff in this thread that shows a gross lack of understanding for the production outputs of players in the NHL (really, 20 goal scorers aren't a big deal?) and it further cements the fact that anyone that bothers to read your prospect articles is completely and utterly wasting their time.

In all seriousness, did you attend a single Phantoms game last year?

Dissappointment and bust are in the same category, one just happens to be at the extreme end of that Category.

It is safe to say Jordan Stall has been a dissappointment up to this point in his career, and that is saying something about the type of abilities he had coming into the NHl.

He is a great 3rd line center that can be a world class shutdown defender. But this last season was an opportunity for him to shine without crosby and Malkin and he simply looked over matched at that 1c role. Coming in with the hype he had , and not to mention the pedigree is safe to argue he is a disappointment.

Courterier has the potential to be much better offensively and probably not as good defensively. His top potential is a eric stall type, his low end potential is a slightly worst defensively jordan staal.

Hence, if he turns into that Jordan stall player he will be a dissappointment , not a bust.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Honestly considering how great his offensive numbers have been so far in juniors, and how much better they are than Staal's were, I would be somewhat disappointed if he didn't turn into a superior offensive player.
Remember, Staal did not play a single game of Junior at age 18. That is a factor with him. Couturier certainly had a stellar 17 y.o campaign, but Jordan Staal's PPG year isn't shabby, and didn't get the chance most guys get to really show off in the 18 y.o year.

Couturier has a high ceiling, but it's extremely unfair to label him a disappointment if he turns into a guy that will threaten for Selkes in his career while bringing good but not great offense to the table.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester;34902693[B
]And that's how you set yourself up to be disappointed due to dumb expectations.[/B] It isn't Couturier's fault we traded Jeff Carter for him, and that will have absolutely nothing to do with how he develops at this level.

Just like how so many people were DISAPPOINTED that Carter didn't score 45 goals every year.

Its called optimism, and its a characteristic found in 99 percent of fans. You clearly go against the grain, for whatever reason weather its to stroke your own self righteous ego, or just to argue for argument's sake. I love it when you actually contribute something to the dialogue, you are an extremely knowledgeable poster when it comes to hockey, but most of the time im reading posts of your harsh criticism of all things, most of which are mundane.

We are all fans here and as fans you cant clearly look at things objectively , we are too swayed by emotions. For instance, i knew very little about Sean Courterier before we drafted him, now im convinced he will be a 100 pt selke finalist center. WHy? Casue im excited about having a young talented player to cheer for and when i envision his future with the team i only envision it as its highest potential,something most people on this board do as well. So allow us "fans" the sense of some optimism and try not to bring us, or this board down.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Dissappointment and bust are in the same category, one just happens to be at the extreme end of that Category.

It is safe to say Jordan Stall has been a dissappointment up to this point in his career, and that is saying something about the type of abilities he had coming into the NHl.

He is a great 3rd line center that can be a world class shutdown defender. But this last season was an opportunity for him to shine without crosby and Malkin and he simply looked over matched at that 1c role. Coming in with the hype he had , and not to mention the pedigree is safe to argue he is a disappointment.

Courterier has the potential to be much better offensively and probably not as good defensively. His top potential is a eric stall type, his low end potential is a slightly worst defensively jordan staal.

Hence, if he turns into that Jordan stall player he will be a dissappointment , not a bust.
Jordan Staal has been a disappointment? Are you for real?

Old
07-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Its called optimism, and its a characteristic found in 99 percent of fans. You clearly go against the grain, for whatever reason weather its to stroke your own self righteous ego, or just to argue for argument's sake. I love it when you actually contribute something to the dialogue, you are an extremely knowledgeable poster when it comes to hockey, but most of the time im reading posts of your harsh criticism of all things, most of which are mundane.

We are all fans here and as fans you cant clearly look at things objectively , we are too swayed my emotions. For instance, i knew very little about Sean Courterier before we drafted him, now im convinced he will be a 100 pt selke finalist center. WHy? Casue im excited about having a young talented player to cheer for and when i envision his future with the team i only envision it as its highest potential,something most people on this board do as well. So allow us "fans" the sense of some optimism and try not to bring us, or this board down.
You can be a fan without being a homer. You can be a fan without sacrificing your ability to say stupid things that aren't based in reality.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Jtown

Quote:
You can be a fan without being a homer. You can be a fan without sacrificing your ability to say stupid things that aren't based in reality.
And everything that has been said by Chris has been in the realm of possibility. And what is your definition of homer?