HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2011, 03:57 PM
  #126
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CalleJAMkrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yesterday
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Do people consider a five year deal short? I'd be perfectly fine with Weber signing for five years. Anything under 3-4 years would be worriesome I think.
yeah i dont get it either anything under three will suck imo. If he signs for five, thats perfect. We'll do this again in five years.

CalleJAMkrok is offline  
Old
07-07-2011, 04:27 PM
  #127
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm
 
JohniusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middle TN
Country: United States
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Five years will get me doing a little happy dance while drinking Single Barrel from the bottle through a curly straw.

JohniusMaximus is offline  
Old
07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
  #128
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
psst ... you might want to change your HFName, considering he's no longer on the team, or anything
BTN should change his too....esp since there is no such thing as BTN

token grinder is offline  
Old
07-09-2011, 12:39 AM
  #129
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
First, I am the corporeal incarnation of Barry trotz's neck. We're all born with a neck, and trotz is no different. It's just that at some point, we parted ways.

Second, on a more serious note, Weber's arbitration hearing is now scheduled. August 2 is the deadline to sign him to anything but a mandated one or two year deal.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
07-09-2011, 12:48 AM
  #130
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,468
vCash: 500
Wednesday is Skate o' the union, hopefully we'll announce a deal then.

Soundgarden is online now  
Old
07-09-2011, 01:07 AM
  #131
Machinehead
Moderator
TG15:WoodlandCritter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,182
vCash: 500
*gets on knees*

Please God can't something just go right for the Preds??

Machinehead is offline  
Old
07-09-2011, 08:09 AM
  #132
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
*gets on knees*

Please God can't something just go right for the Preds??
Um.

Furreal?

We just signed all of our other rfas to very reasonable contracts.

Id say that counts as something going "right"

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-09-2011, 01:16 PM
  #133
Machinehead
Moderator
TG15:WoodlandCritter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Um.

Furreal?

We just signed all of our other rfas to very reasonable contracts.

Id say that counts as something going "right"
But not the RFA. Shea needs to be on this team, and for a long time. I'd like to keep our one superstar, that's all I ask.

Machinehead is offline  
Old
07-09-2011, 02:09 PM
  #134
Neal Before Zod
Registered User
 
Neal Before Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
But not the RFA. Shea needs to be on this team, and for a long time. I'd like to keep our one superstar, that's all I ask.
Pekka Rinne isn't?

Neal Before Zod is offline  
Old
07-09-2011, 02:47 PM
  #135
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon
 
PredaDORES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500


Shea Weber was the highlight of the Skate of the Union last year and will be again this year.

PredaDORES is offline  
Old
07-09-2011, 03:04 PM
  #136
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'd like to keep our one superstar, that's all I ask.
Then you need to relax, because Rinne's contract isn't up until next year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline  
Old
07-09-2011, 03:44 PM
  #137
Machinehead
Moderator
TG15:WoodlandCritter
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 36,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Pekka Rinne isn't?
He is, but a goalie can't survive without a D in front of him. This team needs Shea Weber.

Machinehead is offline  
Old
07-09-2011, 04:27 PM
  #138
JamboPred
Registered User
 
JamboPred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post


Shea Weber was the highlight of the Skate of the Union last year and will be again this year.
What a moment that was, when Poile said "I also know cause he shoots the puck so hard, he has the respect of every goalie in the league" and then the fans went mad. Goosebumps every time!

JamboPred is offline  
Old
07-10-2011, 11:20 PM
  #139
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,894
vCash: 500
there is a weber thread on the trade board with several comments from people saying that Weber has said in his hometown that he wants to get a two year deal to get him to UFA status then go to Vancouver.

I realize stuff like this is frequently just crap but if there is in fact any truth to it I would hope Weber would be honorable and let poile know that privately so we could go ahead and trade him now.


Poile would be crazy to sign him for exactly two years. Sadly with the way club elected arb works, weber can force it if he chooses to do so.

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-10-2011, 11:24 PM
  #140
trevorbird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 135
vCash: 500
there is a <famous canadian player on a southern NHL team> thread on the trade board with several comments from people saying that <famous canadian player> has said in his hometown that he wants to get a two year deal to get him to UFA status then go to <CANADIAN HOCKEY HOMELAND!!!>.

I realize stuff like this is frequently just crap but if there is in fact any truth to it I would hope <famous canadian hero> would be honorable and let <backwoods GM> know that privately so we could go ahead and trade him now.

trevorbird is offline  
Old
07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
  #141
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbird View Post
there is a <famous canadian player on a southern NHL team> thread on the trade board with several comments from people saying that <famous canadian player> has said in his hometown that he wants to get a two year deal to get him to UFA status then go to <CANADIAN HOCKEY HOMELAND!!!>.

I realize stuff like this is frequently just crap but if there is in fact any truth to it I would hope <famous canadian hero> would be honorable and let <backwoods GM> know that privately so we could go ahead and trade him now.
problem is a lot of these things turn out to have a grain of truth to them, even if they dont end up panning out that way.

In this particular case, the problem I have is Weber has implied, and pretty much outright stated for the last year that he wants to be here long term and its just a matter of sitting down and getting a deal done.

Current events make me worry that this has changed. As I said, we will know if there is any truth to this if Weber asks for a two year arb award and then goes through with arbitration. If he still wants to be here he will sign either a longer deal or if he wants poile to "prove it" that we will build a winner then he can sign a one year deal and remain an RFA

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-11-2011, 09:21 AM
  #142
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
problem is a lot of these things turn out to have a grain of truth to them, even if they dont end up panning out that way.

In this particular case, the problem I have is Weber has implied, and pretty much outright stated for the last year that he wants to be here long term and its just a matter of sitting down and getting a deal done.

Current events make me worry that this has changed. As I said, we will know if there is any truth to this if Weber asks for a two year arb award and then goes through with arbitration. If he still wants to be here he will sign either a longer deal or if he wants poile to "prove it" that we will build a winner then he can sign a one year deal and remain an RFA

Poile and Trotz have said, and Weber himself has said, that there are holes on the team that have to get better -- namely the lack of offense. I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I blame Weber, if he's taking a "let's see what we do" approach to things.

A big, long contract is nice....but do you want to handcuff yourself for your career to a team that's always "good," but never "good enough?"

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
  #143
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Poile and Trotz have said, and Weber himself has said, that there are holes on the team that have to get better -- namely the lack of offense. I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I blame Weber, if he's taking a "let's see what we do" approach to things.

A big, long contract is nice....but do you want to handcuff yourself for your career to a team that's always "good," but never "good enough?"
This...however Poile is hopefully moving quickly. August 3rd is the deadline to get Weber signed long-term and there appears to be a lot of work yet to be done.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
07-11-2011, 09:31 AM
  #144
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Poile and Trotz have said, and Weber himself has said, that there are holes on the team that have to get better -- namely the lack of offense. I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I blame Weber, if he's taking a "let's see what we do" approach to things.

A big, long contract is nice....but do you want to handcuff yourself for your career to a team that's always "good," but never "good enough?"
After some thought i agree that a "lifetime" deal probably isnt the best for either shea or the team but i would like to see a minimum of four years. By the end of that time the legwand and erat deals will be ending and we will be in a spot where a decision can be made if we have a winner and keep going or if we need to rebuild.

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-11-2011, 10:14 AM
  #145
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
there is a weber thread on the trade board with several comments from people saying that Weber has said in his hometown that he wants to get a two year deal to get him to UFA status then go to Vancouver.
I don't subscribe to the insider, but it appears that ESPN (mostly crap on its NHL rumors) is suggesting that the Wings didn't spend much in free agency in order to offer sheet Weber.

This crap will continue until he signs.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
  #146
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I don't subscribe to the insider, but it appears that ESPN (mostly crap on its NHL rumors) is suggesting that the Wings didn't spend much in free agency in order to offer sheet Weber.

This crap will continue until he signs.
awesome. I hope the offer sheet is worth billions of dollars a year.

because it doesn't matter. he can't sign it

token grinder is offline  
Old
07-11-2011, 10:42 AM
  #147
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I don't subscribe to the insider, but it appears that ESPN (mostly crap on its NHL rumors) is suggesting that the Wings didn't spend much in free agency in order to offer sheet Weber.

This crap will continue until he signs.
The Preds filed team-elected arbitration on Weber for the sole purpose of protecting him from offer-sheets. Can't happen, fortunately.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
07-11-2011, 10:49 AM
  #148
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
awesome. I hope the offer sheet is worth billions of dollars a year.

because it doesn't matter. he can't sign it
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
The Preds filed team-elected arbitration on Weber for the sole purpose of protecting him from offer-sheets. Can't happen, fortunately.
Ha...you guys are correct. Oops. Well, here is what I can read anyway...

Quote:
Wings saving for Weber?

That may be why they're not committing a lot of money.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Old
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
  #149
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 44,765
vCash: 500
Using ESPN for hockey news is about like using... a certain glasses-wearing guy who likes to write on chalkboards for political news. It might sound like some thought was put into it, but it's merely there to get your attention and to sell.

TMI is offline  
Old
07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
  #150
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Using ESPN for hockey news is about like using... a certain glasses-wearing guy who likes to write on chalkboards for political news. It might sound like some thought was put into it, but it's merely there to get your attention and to sell.
Agreed, however the point is that everybody (including other posters with an agenda) will be spewing this crap until a deal is announced. Stamkos included.

AtlantaWhaler is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.