HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2011, 03:57 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Do people consider a five year deal short? I'd be perfectly fine with Weber signing for five years. Anything under 3-4 years would be worriesome I think.
yeah i dont get it either anything under three will suck imo. If he signs for five, thats perfect. We'll do this again in five years.

Old
07-07-2011, 04:27 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Five years will get me doing a little happy dance while drinking Single Barrel from the bottle through a curly straw.

Old
07-07-2011, 05:29 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
psst ... you might want to change your HFName, considering he's no longer on the team, or anything
BTN should change his too....esp since there is no such thing as BTN

Old
07-09-2011, 12:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

First, I am the corporeal incarnation of Barry trotz's neck. We're all born with a neck, and trotz is no different. It's just that at some point, we parted ways.

Second, on a more serious note, Weber's arbitration hearing is now scheduled. August 2 is the deadline to sign him to anything but a mandated one or two year deal.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Soundgarden

Wednesday is Skate o' the union, hopefully we'll announce a deal then.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

*gets on knees*

Please God can't something just go right for the Preds??

Old
07-09-2011, 08:09 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
*gets on knees*

Please God can't something just go right for the Preds??
Um.

Furreal?

We just signed all of our other rfas to very reasonable contracts.

Id say that counts as something going "right"

Old
07-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Machinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Um.

Furreal?

We just signed all of our other rfas to very reasonable contracts.

Id say that counts as something going "right"
But not the RFA. Shea needs to be on this team, and for a long time. I'd like to keep our one superstar, that's all I ask.

Old
07-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Neal Before Zod

Quote:
But not the RFA. Shea needs to be on this team, and for a long time. I'd like to keep our one superstar, that's all I ask.
Pekka Rinne isn't?

Old
07-09-2011, 02:47 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Shea Weber was the highlight of the Skate of the Union last year and will be again this year.

Old
07-09-2011, 03:04 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
I'd like to keep our one superstar, that's all I ask.
Then you need to relax, because Rinne's contract isn't up until next year.

Old
07-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Machinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Pekka Rinne isn't?
He is, but a goalie can't survive without a D in front of him. This team needs Shea Weber.

Old
07-09-2011, 04:27 PM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post

Shea Weber was the highlight of the Skate of the Union last year and will be again this year.
What a moment that was, when Poile said "I also know cause he shoots the puck so hard, he has the respect of every goalie in the league" and then the fans went mad. Goosebumps every time!

Old
07-10-2011, 11:20 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

there is a weber thread on the trade board with several comments from people saying that Weber has said in his hometown that he wants to get a two year deal to get him to UFA status then go to Vancouver.

I realize stuff like this is frequently just crap but if there is in fact any truth to it I would hope Weber would be honorable and let poile know that privately so we could go ahead and trade him now.

Poile would be crazy to sign him for exactly two years. Sadly with the way club elected arb works, weber can force it if he chooses to do so.

Old
07-10-2011, 11:24 PM
trevorbird

there is a <famous canadian player on a southern NHL team> thread on the trade board with several comments from people saying that <famous canadian player> has said in his hometown that he wants to get a two year deal to get him to UFA status then go to <CANADIAN HOCKEY HOMELAND!!!>.

I realize stuff like this is frequently just crap but if there is in fact any truth to it I would hope <famous canadian hero> would be honorable and let <backwoods GM> know that privately so we could go ahead and trade him now.

Old
07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorbird View Post
there is a <famous canadian player on a southern NHL team> thread on the trade board with several comments from people saying that <famous canadian player> has said in his hometown that he wants to get a two year deal to get him to UFA status then go to <CANADIAN HOCKEY HOMELAND!!!>.

I realize stuff like this is frequently just crap but if there is in fact any truth to it I would hope <famous canadian hero> would be honorable and let <backwoods GM> know that privately so we could go ahead and trade him now.
problem is a lot of these things turn out to have a grain of truth to them, even if they dont end up panning out that way.

In this particular case, the problem I have is Weber has implied, and pretty much outright stated for the last year that he wants to be here long term and its just a matter of sitting down and getting a deal done.

Current events make me worry that this has changed. As I said, we will know if there is any truth to this if Weber asks for a two year arb award and then goes through with arbitration. If he still wants to be here he will sign either a longer deal or if he wants poile to "prove it" that we will build a winner then he can sign a one year deal and remain an RFA

Old
07-11-2011, 09:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
problem is a lot of these things turn out to have a grain of truth to them, even if they dont end up panning out that way.

In this particular case, the problem I have is Weber has implied, and pretty much outright stated for the last year that he wants to be here long term and its just a matter of sitting down and getting a deal done.

Current events make me worry that this has changed. As I said, we will know if there is any truth to this if Weber asks for a two year arb award and then goes through with arbitration. If he still wants to be here he will sign either a longer deal or if he wants poile to "prove it" that we will build a winner then he can sign a one year deal and remain an RFA

Poile and Trotz have said, and Weber himself has said, that there are holes on the team that have to get better -- namely the lack of offense. I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I blame Weber, if he's taking a "let's see what we do" approach to things.

A big, long contract is nice....but do you want to handcuff yourself for your career to a team that's always "good," but never "good enough?"

Old
07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Poile and Trotz have said, and Weber himself has said, that there are holes on the team that have to get better -- namely the lack of offense. I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I blame Weber, if he's taking a "let's see what we do" approach to things.

A big, long contract is nice....but do you want to handcuff yourself for your career to a team that's always "good," but never "good enough?"
This...however Poile is hopefully moving quickly. August 3rd is the deadline to get Weber signed long-term and there appears to be a lot of work yet to be done.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:31 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

After some thought i agree that a "lifetime" deal probably isnt the best for either shea or the team but i would like to see a minimum of four years. By the end of that time the legwand and erat deals will be ending and we will be in a spot where a decision can be made if we have a winner and keep going or if we need to rebuild.

Old
07-11-2011, 10:14 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
there is a weber thread on the trade board with several comments from people saying that Weber has said in his hometown that he wants to get a two year deal to get him to UFA status then go to Vancouver.
I don't subscribe to the insider, but it appears that ESPN (mostly crap on its NHL rumors) is suggesting that the Wings didn't spend much in free agency in order to offer sheet Weber.

This crap will continue until he signs.

Old
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I don't subscribe to the insider, but it appears that ESPN (mostly crap on its NHL rumors) is suggesting that the Wings didn't spend much in free agency in order to offer sheet Weber.

awesome. I hope the offer sheet is worth billions of dollars a year.

because it doesn't matter. he can't sign it

Old
07-11-2011, 10:42 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post

The Preds filed team-elected arbitration on Weber for the sole purpose of protecting him from offer-sheets. Can't happen, fortunately.

Old
07-11-2011, 10:49 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
awesome. I hope the offer sheet is worth billions of dollars a year.

because it doesn't matter. he can't sign it
Quote:
The Preds filed team-elected arbitration on Weber for the sole purpose of protecting him from offer-sheets. Can't happen, fortunately.
Ha...you guys are correct. Oops. Well, here is what I can read anyway...

Quote:
Wings saving for Weber?

That may be why they're not committing a lot of money.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:19 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Using ESPN for hockey news is about like using... a certain glasses-wearing guy who likes to write on chalkboards for political news. It might sound like some thought was put into it, but it's merely there to get your attention and to sell.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Using ESPN for hockey news is about like using... a certain glasses-wearing guy who likes to write on chalkboards for political news. It might sound like some thought was put into it, but it's merely there to get your attention and to sell.
Agreed, however the point is that everybody (including other posters with an agenda) will be spewing this crap until a deal is announced. Stamkos included.

Closed Thread