HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp July 10 - July 16

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
  #51
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
Dave Nichols: McPhee says Eakin, Sjogren capable of competing for roster spot; says he has "one open roster spot" at camp.

RockTheRed.net : #Caps Eakin says "healthy pressure," huge opportunity, just wants to play his two way game

Sky Kerstein: #Caps GMGM says he doesn't anticipate making any more moves

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:43 AM
  #52
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Dave Nichols: McPhee says Eakin, Sjogren capable of competing for roster spot; says he has "one open roster spot" at camp.

RockTheRed.net : #Caps Eakin says "healthy pressure," huge opportunity, just wants to play his two way game

Sky Kerstein: #Caps GMGM says he doesn't anticipate making any more moves
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Semin - Laich - Brouwer
Chimera - Johansson - Ward
Hendricks - Halpern - open roster spot?

Perreault, Sjogren, Eakin, and others all fighting for this one spot plus call-up duty? And no more moves anticipated? Trade some of that depth for a 2nd line upgrade, please!

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
  #53
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Semin - Laich - Brouwer
Chimera - Johansson - Ward
Hendricks - Halpern - open roster spot?

Perreault, Sjogren, Eakin, and others all fighting for this one spot plus call-up duty? And no more moves anticipated? Trade some of that depth for a 2nd line upgrade, please!
This scenario leaves a spot for Eakin:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Johansson - Semin
Brouwer - ? - Ward
Chimera - Halpern - Hendricks

If you read between the lines as to what GMGM was saying, it seems Orlov has virtually no shot at making the team.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
  #54
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
This scenario leaves a spot for Eakin:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Johansson - Semin
Brouwer - ? - Ward
Chimera - Halpern - Hendricks

If you read between the lines as to what GMGM was saying, it seems Orlov has virtually no shot at making the team.
I mean, did anyone other than dasthary think he had any shot of making it? I think he may get some call-ups when there are injuries, but I haven't seen anyone say he might make the team.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:27 PM
  #55
LetsGoBears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
This scenario leaves a spot for Eakin:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Johansson - Semin
Brouwer - ? - Ward
Chimera - Halpern - Hendricks

If you read between the lines as to what GMGM was saying, it seems Orlov has virtually no shot at making the team.
Maybe they get crazy and put Eakin there. Seeing MoJo's issues with the dot last year might make one hesitant to put another rookie right behind him. They could always move Laich back to 3C shift Eakin to a wing and move Brouwer up to 2nd line wing, but what if MoJo has not improved or lapse throughout the year?

That might have been one of the few things posters would agree on. I think I was being generous in saying 6 months till next year. IMO, he needs to have some leaps and bounds or have some serious injury issues up top to move above P. McNeill to even get call ups.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:33 PM
  #56
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,935
vCash: 500
Yeah, I'd think the 4RW is the 'open' spot, with the assumption that Laich will take one of the center spots.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM
  #57
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,868
vCash: 500
FOXPhotog: GMGM. If one of these young guys is good, we'll make room for him.

Agreed on 4RW. I'm not a huge fan of assuring King & Beagle roster spots, even if they are along the lines of what you'd want in frequent scratch or rotation depth guys. Then again, they're probably just pencilled in and if performance dictates otherwise they'll re-evaluate.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:06 PM
  #58
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Maybe they get crazy and put Eakin there. Seeing MoJo's issues with the dot last year might make one hesitant to put another rookie right behind him. They could always move Laich back to 3C shift Eakin to a wing and move Brouwer up to 2nd line wing, but what if MoJo has not improved or lapse throughout the year?

That might have been one of the few things posters would agree on. I think I was being generous in saying 6 months till next year. IMO, he needs to have some leaps and bounds or have some serious injury issues up top to move above P. McNeill to even get call ups.
But wasn't Eakin a stout faceoff guy at juniors? Feel like that facet of his game would traslate to the pros and he's already a competent two-way player. I don't feel its too risky giving him a spot if he earns it.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:15 PM
  #59
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Mattias Sjogren just left rink. Appears he was hit in the face. There was a little blood.
Injury prone

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:18 PM
  #60
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
But wasn't Eakin a stout faceoff guy at juniors? Feel like that facet of his game would traslate to the pros and he's already a competent two-way player. I don't feel its too risky giving him a spot if he earns it.
Strength often plays a decent role in faceoff prowess and that is an area where Eakin will definitely need some time to gain.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:55 PM
  #61
LetsGoBears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Strength often plays a decent role in faceoff prowess and that is an area where Eakin will definitely need some time to gain.
If they were to put Eakin in the center spot there is a transition period. How long and ugly it gets is anyone guess. Millhaus makes the most valid point in that strength might be the biggest road block. Eakin doesn't have the issue like MoJo playing a completely different style of hockey, so one would hope Eakin isn't on the same learning curve.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
  #62
Codependent
Fail for Nail!
 
Codependent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Semin - Laich - Brouwer
Chimera - Johansson - Ward
Hendricks - Halpern - open roster spot?

Perreault, Sjogren, Eakin, and others all fighting for this one spot plus call-up duty? And no more moves anticipated? Trade some of that depth for a 2nd line upgrade, please!
If they send King down then the spot is Eakin's but it probably makes more sense to develop Eakin in the AHL and get him some real minutes. Sjogren competing with Beagle for mins makes more sense to me. King continues to ride the bench a whole lot. Eakin will get called up when there are injuries though.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
  #63
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,812
vCash: 500
Also King and Beagle can make the team and sit in the stands most nights while Eakin really needs to be playing either in DC or Hershey.

I guess I find it kind of funny that he was a difficult cut last year because they knew he was gone for the year of sent back to juniors but this year his need to be playing every night makes him an easy cut.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:17 PM
  #64
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I guess I find it kind of funny that he was a difficult cut last year because they knew he was gone for the year of sent back to juniors but this year his need to be playing every night makes him an easy cut.
I laughed.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:27 PM
  #65
redbeard7737
Registered User
 
redbeard7737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
How does Orlov look?

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
  #66
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Quote:
Mattias Sjogren just left rink. Appears he was hit in the face. There was a little blood.
Injury prone
More like he's a perfect fit for 4RW!

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
  #67
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
More like he's a perfect fit for 4RW!


I guess he really is Bradley's replacement.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:16 PM
  #68
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:
 
blokeyhighlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Wait... isn't he more like this guy?


blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:28 PM
  #69
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Injury prone
Attempting to do his best Marco Sturm/Abby Wambach impression.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:29 PM
  #70
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man
 
Helpoing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,035
vCash: 500
Just listened to BB's interview, he said that the 3C spot is the open one.
http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videocenter/console (the one from 11.06)

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
  #71
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Just listened to BB's interview, he said that the 3C spot is the open one.
http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videocenter/console (the one from 11.06)
So... which of Laich and Johansson is not playing at C?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
  #72
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:
 
blokeyhighlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So... which of Laich and Johansson is not playing at C?
Assuming Laich, but this would relegate Laich or Brouwer to the third line assuming Knuble is still on the top line.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:53 PM
  #73
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Assuming Laich, but this would relegate Laich or Brouwer to the third line assuming Knuble is still on the top line.
Brouwer - Sjogren/Eakin - Ward.
All new Caps 3rd line.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
  #74
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
I'm pleased the beat writers posted the complete roster, although amused.

Interesting to see 3 free agent invites return for a 2nd development camp. Burt and Cherniwchan were there last summer and Edmondson was at camp in 2009. And 2, Burt and Chreniwchan were assigned to what in essence was the top line for their respective groups.

I have been away from computers and twitter this afternoon, has anyone provided a reason Burke was wearing a yellow jersey in group B? I assume it was a no-contact/injury jersey given he was the only one and finished his season at UNH injured.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
  #75
third man in
Registered User
 
third man in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 2,761
vCash: 500
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Brouwer
Semin - Johansson - Knuble
Laich - Eakin/Sjogren - Ward
Chimera - Halpern - Hendricks/Beagle

Something to that effect, though they are awfully young down the middle. Yikes

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.