HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wick back to Switzerland

Old
07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
Couldn't he have tried at least another year? Christ he's 26 yo, has his whole life in front of him, played 7 NHL games and he's giving up. Very disappointing. This is the problem with some swiss players, although it's starting to change, they expect to come over, play 1 year at the very most and then play in the NHL. How about fighting for your spot, giving it your all, grinding it in the minors? You see guys that spent 4-5 years in the AHL before getting a spot on an NHL roster.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Hurting the rep of Euro's again; if you aren't handed an opportunity then just bolt back to Europe. Wick must have not wanted to be an NHLer bad enough to do what it takes to be one. It's unfortunate the amount of Euro prima donas that are unwilling to make the sacrifices and ride the buses in the AHL to become a pro.

I do however give credit to the Euro's that actually pay their dues and do what it takes to play in the NHL. However many would rather try and develop in Europe than to go through the grind of the AHL, they lack mental toughness.

Good luck to Petterrsson; he is a few years away from being an NHLer so hopefully he handles the AHL grind better than Wick and actually stays if he isn't given an opportunity right away.

\end rant
Did you forget the ?

The guys has the rest of this life to plan for as well. The simple fact is, he was never going to make an NHL roster as anything more than a 2-4 game a year fill-in.

There's nothing wrong with going back home to play in a good league, a nice schedule, better pay and a chance to get permium icetime.

Besides, he has to think of his life after hockey as well. PLaying a few years at home and doing well, will go a long way towards getting his foot in the door as a coach, media person or trainer once his playing days are over.

Quite frankly, if I was a borderline NHLer and hadn't found a permanent home by 26, I'd head of to Switzerland as well. Beautiful country, good pay, plenty of after-hockey employment opportunities, high standard of living...

The NHL is not the end-all and be-all of hockey.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Ranch Tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
The NHL is not the end-all and be-all of hockey.
but it is far away the best hockey league in the world. It weeds out pretenders from contenders. For all those that were excited after seeing him in at the Olympics, never mind. He obviously doesn't have the will, stomach or mental toughness to play an 82 game season in the best league in the world. It's disappointing because he showed some of those attributes by making the decision to leave home as a teenager and play for Brent Sutter in Red Deer. He'll resume a nice career in his homeland. Good luck to him. He's just not NHL material, which isn't the end of the world, playing hockey for $ is never a bad thing.

Ranch Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Hurting the rep of Euro's again; if you aren't handed an opportunity then just bolt back to Europe. Wick must have not wanted to be an NHLer bad enough to do what it takes to be one. It's unfortunate the amount of Euro prima donas that are unwilling to make the sacrifices and ride the buses in the AHL to become a pro.

I do however give credit to the Euro's that actually pay their dues and do what it takes to play in the NHL. However many would rather try and develop in Europe than to go through the grind of the AHL, they lack mental toughness.

Good luck to Petterrsson; he is a few years away from being an NHLer so hopefully he handles the AHL grind better than Wick and actually stays if he isn't given an opportunity right away.

\end rant
Well, did you ever live or spent time in Swiss or just Europe? I did and I can tell you that if I had the opportunity to make more money and live in Europe I would choose it over Binghamton or any AHL city 100 times out of 100...

Wick is realistic and probably lost faith in making the NHL, at least in Ottawa. After the draft the Sens just had, guys like Wick and Daugavins are running out of time, and they know it.

IMO, if Wick wanted to be in the NHL that bad, he should have asked for a trade.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:00 PM
costermonger
sans classe

It's probably the best choice for him in the long run. Spending a few years in the A and not making it to the NHL would cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost income each year, and at this point looks like the most likely outcome if he stays over here.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Anybody hear anything new about Kaspars Daugavins? I guess a similar fate isn't out of the question.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Anybody hear anything new about Kaspars Daugavins? I guess a similar fate isn't out of the question.
Daugavins is quite a bit closer to making it I would believe. If he falls behind this year then I can see him taking his talents elsewhere. He's been in north america for quite some time though, not sure if he's that antsy to go back to europe.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch Tooth View Post
but it is far away the best hockey league in the world. It weeds out pretenders from contenders. For all those that were excited after seeing him in at the Olympics, never mind. He obviously doesn't have the will, stomach or mental toughness to play an 82 game season in the best league in the world. It's disappointing because he showed some of those attributes by making the decision to leave home as a teenager and play for Brent Sutter in Red Deer. He'll resume a nice career in his homeland. Good luck to him. He's just not NHL material, which isn't the end of the world, playing hockey for $ is never a bad thing.
Speculation at best. The only thing we know is that he didn't have the skill that would be required to make it into the best league in the world. There's a difference between having the talent and not making the effort and not having the talent. Wick didn't have the talent, so there was no point for him to stay. He was always going to be on the outside looking in.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:23 PM
SensFanInBoston

I wish him all the best. We won't know what he could have developed into because he no longer is in the organization. He has some skill/talent. Who knows what another year in the AHL might have done for him. Look at it this way, he was an asset that is no longer with the organization. I wasn't too happy how the Sens managed the end of the season last year. I do remember last year that he did have a few games up with the big team and Clouston only played him a few shifts on the 1st line before moving him down. I don't know why this was done since he looked like he had some jump and hit the post a few times. I realize that the odds of him making it with the Sens was limited at best but Clouston didn't give him many opportunities (even thought the season was already a bust). Maybe he would have given it one more year in the AHL if he had played a few more games up in Ottawa last year in a more meaningful way. I also remember the game where DeCosta was playing in NY and his family flew in and CC only gave him 1 or 2 shifts. What a jerk. I'm pretty sure our new coach will be much better managing/developing our young talent.

SensFanInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:00 AM
jonas2244

He now said in an interview he just doesn't see a chance to get an NHL-spot with Ottawa. He hopes to get another chance when he's UFA next year. We'll see, he'd need some great performances at the WC next year.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
He now said in an interview he just doesn't see a chance to get an NHL-spot with Ottawa. He hopes to get another chance when he's UFA next year. We'll see, he'd need some great performances at the WC next year.
So he thinks someone's going to sign him to an NHL contract after trying one year in the AHL and then going back to Switzerland?

If he really hasn't given up on the NHL, he should have stayed over here and sucked it up in the AHL another year. Methinks this is the last we'll hear of Roman Wick.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Marble

If he's not making Ottawa's team, he's not making any NHL team so I think his UFA hopes will be disappointing. Oh well, good that he gave it a shot for a year.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

The Sens had a pool of middling forward "prospects". They go out and load up on a bunch of high end forward prospects in the draft. What message does that send to the existing forward prospects? They may be hockey players, but they are not dumb. They can add 2+2 and get 4 the same as anybody else.

Wick did what he thinks is best for him and his career. What makes people around here think they are better equipped to determine what is or is not better for Roman Wick than Wick himself? FYI, contrary to what some might think around here, not every Sens prospect will turn out to be an NHL player. Some will and some won't. Does not make those who don't a bunch of dick wads.

I thank him for his services to the Sens' organization, wish him the best of luck in the future, and hopefully things turn out for the best for him and his family.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Daugavins is quite a bit closer to making it I would believe. If he falls behind this year then I can see him taking his talents elsewhere. He's been in north america for quite some time though, not sure if he's that antsy to go back to europe.
After a bit of a slow start he had a pretty good season in the AHL.

First 17 games:
1 goal
6 assists
7 points

Last 79 games (56 regular games + 23 playoff games):
28 goals
39 assists
67 points
+15

Been kinda interested in his progression after his nice shootout goal vs the Hamilton Bulldogs. I hope he doesn't go overseas like Wick although I wouldn't blame him. I'm sure he's getting some nice offers from Dinamo Riga (the Latvian KHL team).

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:46 PM
petelevi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
After a bit of a slow start he had a pretty good season in the AHL.
From what's been said about Daugavins by the organisation, I think the issue with him is his conditioning.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote