HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Value of Boyle?

Old
07-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
IF, Semyon Varlemov can return a 1st and 2nd.... then a team desperate enough will pay enough. All about need. If a team needs a 2nd line center and they happen to think Boyle can fill it, then maybe a 1st round pick?
Just because Colorado is run by a bunch of morons, doesn't mean every other team will be willing to grossly overpay for a player. We truly need a center, but Maloney has never, not once, over payed for a player. He won't do it.

I can see Maclean coming the other way, although Phoenix is really going to need his scoring touch this year, and DM wants to get him in the NHL. I'm not sure I'd like it, but I can see it happening.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:15 PM
RidinwitdaKING

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Boy has Boyle pulled the wool over other fans eyes...Mr one hit wonder will score 6 this year while playing the softest game ever seen by a big man..Take the second and run.

I bet Slats knows this and deals him..Slats likes big guys with an edge not a dress.
as much as I hope your wrong I feel you may be closer to the truth than not.
Torts really believes in this guy as he was put into alot of Key PP and PK situations. They will stay with him and I hope he succeeds He had a GREAT year last year seems like his value is high now. He should bang well on the 4th line think his points will be down though.

RidinwitdaKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I would not want Maclean or Boedker for Boyle. That's really a downgrade for us and our prospect depth is pretty good that I don't quite see the value in getting a prospect or a draft pick for a 20 goal scoring NHL player. Shane Doan is probably the only Yote forward I'm interested in but I don't want to have that conversation.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
The Mouth

Lets see what he does this year. I know his value will be worth nada if he stinks up the joint, but you cant negate the progress he made last year and I don't think he is terribly soft but not as aggressive as some ranger fans think he should be.

His second half was poor and he takes some of the ugliest shots on goal but cant argue with his overall production and progress.

if he were dominant on face-offs that would make him a tremendous asset. he should work on that.

I'm not pick happy like some to trade a young guy who has already scored 20 in one season for a pick who may never see the light of day.

Plus Boyle is Artie's best friend !

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Lets see what he does this year. I know his value will be worth nada if he stinks up the joint, but you cant negate the progress he made last year and I don't think he is terribly soft but not as aggressive as some ranger fans think he should be.

His second half was poor and he takes some of the ugliest shots on goal but cant argue with his overall production and progress.

if he were dominant on face-offs that would make him a tremendous asset. he should work on that.

I'm not pick happy like some to trade a young guy who has already scored 20 in one season for a pick who may never see the light of day.

Plus Boyle is Artie's best friend !
I believe Boyle is Prust's best friend. Arty doesn't speak English...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Brolov View Post
Boedker/MacLean and a pick. Both could be the LW we want. I'd take the risk and his stock is high. And I'm not gonna lie. I thought of Phoenix when I saw this thread.
Maclean and a 2nd works for me. I like Maclean's aptitude and I love what Clarke does with 2nd round picks, though I'm VERY high on Boyle and think if we keep him, he's poised for a big year.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i would trade boyle for the right return any day of the week. if we could pry someone who can help us on the top line now and use boyle as part of the package, id do it in a heartbeat.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
He seems to hang with Del Zotto lot.

On Boyle's value...

If the return isn't lopsided in favor of the Rangers bringing in top 6 talent in a deal that is comprised of Boyle plus extra component then there should be no deal to speak of.

Example : Boyle plus defensive prospect and draft pick other than a 1st rounder for Ryan Clowe

Currently Boyle alone = 2nd rounder

If Boyle produces another 20 goal sceason logging bottom 6 minutes and leads team in hits again, then his value escalates to 1st rounder to a club that is a contender looking for depth.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:42 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Either a first rounder or a second rounder (only because I expect it to be a high second rounder, no offense) and a good prospect, preferably a LW. Boyle literally is just finding his game, and with his size he has great potential that I don't want to give up on unless it's for a really good deal.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Boyle is the one Rangers RFA who should probably take his arbitration case all the way through. An arbitrator will take his 20 goal season into his account - which was fool's gold if you ask me. Sometimes a player comes along and everything they touch seems to go in (see Petr Prucha around 2006). Its management's job to decipher whats real and whats luck, and act accordingly.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:13 PM
RidinwitdaKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Boyle is the one Rangers RFA who should probably take his arbitration case all the way through. An arbitrator will take his 20 goal season into his account - which was fool's gold if you ask me. Sometimes a player comes along and everything they touch seems to go in (see Petr Prucha around 2006). Its management's job to decipher whats real and whats luck, and act accordingly.
Won't arbitrator also look that he only scored 7 Goals after Jan. 1 and had no points in Playoffs?
Does anyone know what are the terms/difference between offer and asking?

RidinwitdaKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Actually I wouldn't mind MacLean for Boyle straight up. Fits the needs for both teams. Boedker is a tricky one. Boom or bust right now.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsRngrs View Post
Won't arbitrator also look that he only scored 7 Goals after Jan. 1 and had no points in Playoffs?
Does anyone know what are the terms/difference between offer and asking?
Probably - I know the Rangers certainly will. I think he'd have a better chance of making more money this year going the arbitration route.

Old
07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Habs' WayToWin

Quote:
Holy ****, MacLean is the perfect guy we would want. Knowing Maloney, he'll give us MacLean for Boyle straight up. I wouldn't be surprised and I would be ****ing thrilled. MacLean seems to be like a Kreider who has met his potential (isn't raw anymore).
MacLean only has 2 more NHL goals than Kreider and only 1 more NHL assist while playing in 13 more NHL games. And in all those categories Kreider has zeroes. MacLean hasn't shown anything in the NHL yet, I don't know how you can think a guy with 2 goals and an assist in 13 games has met Kreider's top potential already...

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
MacLean only has 2 more NHL goals than Kreider and only 1 more NHL assist while playing in 13 more NHL games. And in all those categories Kreider has zeroes. MacLean hasn't shown anything in the NHL yet, I don't know how you can think a guy with 2 goals and an assist in 13 games has met Kreider's top potential already...
Hes in the NHL, isn't he?

Besides, who really knows Kreider's "top potential?" A lot of people certainly think they do

Old
07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Kershaw

No Boyle is one of a kind, how many players his size score 20 goals in a season while providing decent 2-way play? It'll take overpayment to get him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Wait a second there, don't look at the games, look at the time he was given. Maclean was hardly played at all. No matter how well he played, Tippet benched him because he doesn't like offensive minded players, add to that a young offensive player, and Maclean would have had to score on every shift to get ice time.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes Persevere View Post
Wait a second there, don't look at the games, look at the time he was given. Maclean was hardly played at all. No matter how well he played, Tippet benched him because he doesn't like offensive minded players, add to that a young offensive player, and Maclean would have had to score on every shift to get ice time.
Yea, you're proving his point even more. Maclean is unproven, as is Kreider. They both have high potential, but neither is anywhere close to reaching it yet.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Boy has Boyle pulled the wool over other fans eyes...Mr one hit wonder will score 6 this year while playing the softest game ever seen by a big man..Take the second and run.

I bet Slats knows this and deals him..Slats likes big guys with an edge not a dress.
glad I'm not the only one who feels this way

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
freewheeler

I remember when Boyle was acquired people here were not thrilled. He cost a 3rd. Sather and co were obviously high on him. This knowing he had his development stunted by an ill advised experiment to make him a defenseman. In his second year he's identified his weaknesses, improved them, established a role, and potted 20 goals along the way. And notwithstanding the comments of some posters that must be watching a different team, he's developed grit. I expect more this year - maybe not in goals, but playing alongside Prust in this system, I get the sense he feels redeemed and is clawing for more. I'd be stunned if Sather was considering a move save for overpayment. I'm thinking high 2nd++.

I agree with another poster that he would be a huge asset if he could improve on faceoffs. Without that, I'd like to see lines of:

Feds - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Boyle - Stepan - Prust
Avery/Hagelin - Rupp - Weiss/MZA

In terms of trades, keep Boyle, ship Wolski back to PHX , and see if we can make a nice pickup or two come the trade deadline.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
glad I'm not the only one who feels this way
disagree. Not sure if he pots 20+ consistently, but I think he will remain a productive/useful player.

I also don't think he plays a soft game at all, he really learned how to use his body to his advantage last season.

But around here anybody who isn't a good fighter or who doesn't deliver a certain number of highlight reel hits in the open ice is "soft"

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:58 PM
The Mouth

Quote:
Boyle/Artie have adjoining Lockers and artie does speak English he even did an interview with John Monotone last year !

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:00 PM
satrabyk

id move him but it would have to be a decent prospect as of now.

Last edited by satrabyk: 07-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:03 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsRngrs View Post
as much as I hope your wrong I feel you may be closer to the truth than not.
Torts really believes in this guy as he was put into alot of Key PP and PK situations. They will stay with him and I hope he succeeds He had a GREAT year last year seems like his value is high now. He should bang well on the 4th line think his points will be down though.
No he wont bang well because hitting etc is just not in his DNA, that kind of thing is very hard to change. You cant teach a guy to be tough or mean.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:07 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
No he wont bang well because hitting etc is just not in his DNA, that kind of thing is very hard to change. You cant teach a guy to be tough or mean.
He had the most hits on the team last year. Say what you will about the hits statistic being inconsistent, within members of the same team I would think arena scoring effects would be minimal no? (callahan would have been #1 if he played a full season, so we can say #2 at worst)

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote