HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Gorton hired as Rangers' assistant GM

Old
07-11-2011, 12:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers made it official

Quote:
New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has promoted Jeff Gorton to Assistant General Manager and Kevin Maxwell to Director of Professional Scouting.

Gorton previously served four seasons with the Rangers, including as Assistant Director, Player Personnel for the last three seasons. In his expanded role, he will assist Sather on all player transactions and contract negotiations. He will also continue his involvement with the club’s professional and amateur scouting operations.
Quote:
Maxwell previously served three seasons with the Rangers as a professional scout. In his expanded role, he will oversee the club’s professional scouting operations. Maxwell joined the Rangers after serving as a professional scout with the Dallas Stars in 2007-08, where he focused on both North America and Europe.

Prior to joining Dallas, he spent 10 seasons with the New York Islanders organization, serving as the Islanders Director of Professional Scouting during the final two years of his tenure after serving as a professional scout for the previous eight years. In addition, Maxwell served as Director of Player Personnel with the Hartford Whalers during the 1994-95 season.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Maxwell worked for Clark with the Islanders.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:33 PM
CM PUNK

thenyrangers New York Rangers
#NYR announce the promotion of Jeff Gorton to Assistant GM and Kevin Maxwell to Director of Professional Scouting...congrats to both!
21 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

anyone know anything about maxwell?? Wikipedia says he has scouted for isles, flyers and stars. but no idea what years or what his track record looks like.

edit--RB's post provides details on maxwell

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 12:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Maxwell essentially replaces Gorton as the Rangers top pro scout. Gorton was responsible for the pro side and Clark for the amateur side. They would sometimes switch off to get a different set of eyes on the player they liked. Clark discussed the way he worked with Gorton after the June draft ended. Clark and Maxwell will work the same way.

Old
07-11-2011, 01:26 PM
gotmonte

LOL Sather can hire/promote ANYONE HE WANTS (and I am damn happy about it too!) but when Donny Walsh tried to hire Mullin as a assistant GM or some position like that, DOLAN REFUSED THE MOVE.

LOL

I guess Sather has Dolan's heart completely. Sather can do NO WRONG in Dolan's eyes apparently. Which is good. I really like the moves Sather has been making the last two years. Except for the Brashear/Boogard signings (RIP Boogy).

As for Messier. Just because he was a shrewd player and a NY Icon doesnt mean he will be a good Front Office type. Look at Gretzky. He was supposed to be this AWESOME COACH yet his Coyotes were TERRIBLE under his coaching.

I understand the Front Office is moving slowly with Messier making him a Special Assistant and letting him scout other NHL players (which I think would be his fort-ay seeing as how he was as a player and how he handled rookies and such and being a Captain of two Cup Winning Teams and Another team inwhich they did not win the cup 'Vancouver'). I just dont know if I would want him as a GM or President in the future. Maybe he turns into the next Stevie Y' which would be just an AWESOME thing. But I am not sold on it just yet.

Anyways, Kudo's to Sather for promoting Gorton and I hope he does some wonders as he did with the Bruins. Here's for hoping!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
LOL Sather can hire/promote ANYONE HE WANTS (and I am damn happy about it too!) but when Donny Walsh tried to hire Mullin as a assistant GM or some position like that, DOLAN REFUSED THE MOVE.

LOL

I guess Sather has Dolan's heart completely. Sather can do NO WRONG in Dolan's eyes apparently. Which is good. I really like the moves Sather has been making the last two years. Except for the Brashear/Boogard signings (RIP Boogy).

As for Messier. Just because he was a shrewd player and a NY Icon doesnt mean he will be a good Front Office type. Look at Gretzky. He was supposed to be this AWESOME COACH yet his Coyotes were TERRIBLE under his coaching.

I understand the Front Office is moving slowly with Messier making him a Special Assistant and letting him scout other NHL players (which I think would be his fort-ay seeing as how he was as a player and how he handled rookies and such and being a Captain of two Cup Winning Teams and Another team inwhich they did not win the cup 'Vancouver'). I just dont know if I would want him as a GM or President in the future. Maybe he turns into the next Stevie Y' which would be just an AWESOME thing. But I am not sold on it just yet.

Anyways, Kudo's to Sather for promoting Gorton and I hope he does some wonders as he did with the Bruins. Here's for hoping!
From my understanding, the difference is that this is a promotion to fill a vacancy in a pre-existing job. Walsh was looking to create an entirely new position and shakeup the hierarchy with Mullin.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The DuPont era begins.
what do you mean? didn't we trade Dupont or is this another reference I am completely missing?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
what do you mean? didn't we trade Dupont or is this another reference I am completely missing?
It was a Jeff Gordon joke. Jeff Gorton = new AGm and Jeff Gordon runs the DuPont Nascar.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers updated the front office chart

Quote:
Assistant General Manager, Player Personnel, Assistant Coach and General Manager, Hartford Wolf Pack; Assistant Coach Jim Schoenfeld
Assistant General Manager Jeff Gorton
Special Assistant to the President Mark Messier
Head Coach John Tortorella
Assistant Coach and Goaltending Coach Benoit Allaire
Assistant Coach Mike Sullivan
Director, Player Personnel Gordie Clark
Director of Professional Scouting Kevin Maxwell
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=54019

Schoenfeld is Sather's consigliere. Schoeny has too many titles.