HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Value of Boyle?

Old
07-11-2011, 05:07 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
disagree. Not sure if he pots 20+ consistently, but I think he will remain a productive/useful player.

I also don't think he plays a soft game at all, he really learned how to use his body to his advantage last season.

But around here anybody who isn't a good fighter or who doesn't deliver a certain number of highlight reel hits in the open ice is "soft"
Nothing to do with that hes just not comfortable with contact as much as a guy his size should be. Granted he did make some strides last season using his body but if he doesent add to that this year he will be in tough as he will be playing less than last year and must generate offensive with his body in the corners and not only open ice rushes.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:09 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Nothing to do with that hes just not comfortable with contact as much as a guy his size should be. Granted he did make some strides last season using his body but if he doesent add to that this year he will be in tough as he will be playing less than last year and must generate offensive with his body in the corners and not only open ice rushes.
He sure looked his size against Washington, and he was one of the only ones.

He went from frustrating and horrific one year to ******* awesome last year. He was a highlight of the season, and I expect he's only going to get better.

I value him in the top 10 most valuable.

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 07-11-2011 at 05:14 PM.
CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
He sure looked his size against Washington, and he was one of the only ones.

He went from frustrating and horrific one year to ******* awesome last year. He was a highlight of the season, and I expect he's only going to get better.
True but i still see some hesitancy in terms of boards play and contact, if he gets comfortable with that and learns more and more how to use his big ****in body as his friend hes close to undtradeable but the season will show what the true Boyle is going to be. If he shows signs of decline instead of improvment that is when you pull the trigger on a trade.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Magnifique

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Yea, you're proving his point even more. Maclean is unproven, as is Kreider. They both have high potential, but neither is anywhere close to reaching it yet.
I think his point was more that Kreider is better or worth more, at least that is how I took it. It is obvious that neither is a proven NHL player.

Magnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
True but i still see some hesitancy in terms of boards play and contact, if he gets comfortable with that and learns more and more how to use his big ****in body as his friend hes close to undtradeable but the season will show what the true Boyle is going to be. If he shows signs of decline instead of improvment that is when you pull the trigger on a trade.
While i agree with both of you, i think we are just starting to see who boyle is. He worst trait was his skating ability and while this past year was his second year in the nhl, he understood what he needed to to in order to stick with a nhl team. He found Underhill who he trained with to reconsile is issues with his skating ability. This past season we all found out how good he can actually become. He became a physical presence because he LEARNED how to skate correctly. How hard of a hit can you throw when you dont skate well? Exactly my point. Since he took these lessons he was able to get to the puck quicker, hit better, and get into the right spots to use his size and shot. He has talent and wasnt a 1st round choice for nothing.

Again this season he saw that he was reverting slightly back into his old habits of skating and has taken upon himself to go back to Underhill to work on his skating even more. I honestly expect him to break out even further this upcoming season as long as Torts can find him the ice time and the right players to play with.

Just my take on things from what i have seen from the start of his career till now.

Dubinsky Richards Gaborik
Boyle Anisimov Callahan
Wolski Stepan MZA/Hagelin/Avery
Feds Rupp Prust

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Even if Boyle doesn't score, he's still a very good 4th line center and penalty killer, and young enough to get better.

Hopefully the player doesn't have an inflated sense of self worth in terms of contract.

But no doubt he is a very good player in his role.

He's working hard again this summer, so maybe/hopefully we see more consistency.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Barnaby

I love it. Half of the people here are pushing like crazy to draft midgets like Gramaldi, then want to deal Boyle bc he's not physical enough. Boyle IS physical. He battles hard for loose pucks and uses his body. He is not throwing the big open ice hits, and doesn't have that bad-ass mentality which really seems to make him seem soft - which he isn't.. to many posters..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
MacLean only has 2 more NHL goals than Kreider and only 1 more NHL assist while playing in 13 more NHL games. And in all those categories Kreider has zeroes. MacLean hasn't shown anything in the NHL yet, I don't know how you can think a guy with 2 goals and an assist in 13 games has met Kreider's top potential already...
I guess you disregard anything written in parenthesis, such as (isn't raw anymore).

Unlike Kreider, MacLean has played in the AHL and put up great numbers as a 21 and 22 year old.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Crease

Don't get too caught up in goals and assists and what "number" line they play on. You want guys like Boyle on your team.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
xxxZENxxx

I'm not sure you can get much for him unless he proves he can put up similar stats again. He is probably just a career 4th liner that had the best season of his career.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I guess you disregard anything written in parenthesis, such as (isn't raw anymore).

Unlike Kreider, MacLean has played in the AHL and put up great numbers as a 21 and 22 year old.
(PREFACE: Im not saying this is what your saying, implying, or what you mean. Im just thinking aloud here and joining the conversation)

That doesn't mean Kreider wont be a very good NHL player.

He just turned 20.

And Kreider isn't really raw. He's developing nicely into a complete two way player.

Look at David Booth. He played four years at Michigan State (Kreider will only play 3 at BC, he will graduate next summer) and didn't exactly light up the CCHA (Sophomore 8 G and Junior 7 G), yet he can score in the NHL. And Kreider has more upside then Booth.

Does Nugent-Hopkins have top line NHL projection?

We can't sit here and pick and chose players that are Kosher to project and others that are taboo to project.

For whatever reason, there is a contingent on the boards that feel its taboo to look at Kreider and make projections/predictions. Even when the highest projection being mentioned is top six player. No one is mentioning superstar, no one is mentioning 40 goals.

There are guys with less physical gifts then Kreider (and Miller) that reached the NHL and scored. Prucha, Grabner, Moulson just as local recent examples. Grabner isn't more gifted skilled or physically then Kreider, and look what he accomplished last year. Matt Moulson isn't blowing anyone away with his physical gifts, and he's been successful.

Kreider has high-end speed, shot, and hands around the net, that can translate to the Pro game well. We saw it at the WC against NHL level players.

(Remember im not arguing with you here, im just posting some thoughts on the subject, I didn't specifically mean to quote you, I just wanted to join the conversation)

Boyle hasn't necessarily stopped developing. He's relatively young. He may never get as much ice time as he did last year, and may never reach 20 goals again, but he can improve in his role. If he can excel ar being a shutdown, PK, faceoff guy, he could continue to be a real integral part of the Rangers, especially important are those types of guys if we go on a deep playoff run.

But of course the terms need to be reasonable. So hopefully he doesn't get a big head and senate/seek more then he's worth (as an NHL player).

Old
07-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
(PREFACE: Im not saying this is what your saying, implying, or what you mean. Im just thinking aloud here and joining the conversation)

That doesn't mean Kreider wont be a very good NHL player.

He just turned 20.

And Kreider isn't really raw. He's developing nicely into a complete two way player.

Look at David Booth. He played four years at Michigan State (Kreider will only play 3 at BC, he will graduate next summer) and didn't exactly light up the CCHA (Sophomore 8 G and Junior 7 G), yet he can score in the NHL. And Kreider has more upside then Booth.

Does Nugent-Hopkins have top line NHL projection?

We can't sit here and pick and chose players that are Kosher to project and others that are taboo to project.

For whatever reason, there is a contingent on the boards that feel its taboo to look at Kreider and make projections/predictions. Even when the highest projection being mentioned is top six player. No one is mentioning superstar, no one is mentioning 40 goals.

There are guys with less physical gifts then Kreider (and Miller) that reached the NHL and scored. Prucha, Grabner, Moulson just as local recent examples. Grabner isn't more gifted skilled or physically then Kreider, and look what he accomplished last year. Matt Moulson isn't blowing anyone away with his physical gifts, and he's been successful.

Kreider has high-end speed, shot, and hands around the net, that can translate to the Pro game well. We saw it at the WC against NHL level players.

(Remember im not arguing with you here, im just posting some thoughts on the subject, I didn't specifically mean to quote you, I just wanted to join the conversation)

Boyle hasn't necessarily stopped developing. He's relatively young. He may never get as much ice time as he did last year, and may never reach 20 goals again, but he can improve in his role. If he can excel ar being a shutdown, PK, faceoff guy, he could continue to be a real integral part of the Rangers, especially important are those types of guys if we go on a deep playoff run.

But of course the terms need to be reasonable. So hopefully he doesn't get a big head and senate/seek more then he's worth (as an NHL player).
I know you said It wasn't directed towards me, but I'm not saying I don't like Kreider. He is doing well and his game has rounded out very nicely. All I'm saying is that MacLean is like Kreider but 3 years older and he has proven he can play in the pro's (AHL #'s are great). I don't want to trade Kreider for MacLean, I'm just comparing him to Kreider. There is nothing wrong with having MacLean AND Kreider

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 10:45 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Don't get too caught up in goals and assists and what "number" line they play on. You want guys like Boyle on your team.
Agree with this.

I don't see the point in dealing Boyle for a pick or a prospect. He's an excellent bottom-6 centerman that plays well in all 3 zones; yes, he may have peaked offensively, but two points on that:

1) Even if he did, he's still a very valuable third liner. If he can contribute 35 points while a) being able to play in a shutdown role and b) being an excellent penalty killer and teammate, you have a player who is significantly more valuable to your team than the assets you would garner for him in a trade.

2) I don't see why he wouldn't be able to at least stick at the 15 goal and 30 point marks; this was only his 2nd full NHL season, and while he isn't exactly the youngest player at 26, he's still developing as an NHL player. To say that it's impossible for him to replicate the goal total he put up last season is premature, IMO.

The only reason I would trade Boyle is to get a clear upgrade; and, I don't think anyone would be willing to deal a legitimate top-6 player for Boyle, unless it was a deadline move, or a reclamation project. He's a great teammate, good defensively, and can chip in 10-20 goals -- why trade him?

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:06 AM
bscharf

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Boy has Boyle pulled the wool over other fans eyes...Mr one hit wonder will score 6 this year while playing the softest game ever seen by a big man..Take the second and run.

I bet Slats knows this and deals him..Slats likes big guys with an edge not a dress.
Are we talking about the same guy?

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:58 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Boyle's a fantastic character guy and even if he puts up 10-15 goals a good 4th liner. No reason to trade him for a pick. That's just changing stuff for the sake of change.

Now if he was packaged for a clear upgrade, sure. But for a pick/mid tier prospect? nah.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Boyle+ for Boedker? Yes, yes I would do that for sure. Anyone notice that Boyle is not on the roster on the Rangers site? I'm sure it means nothing, but interesting (other unsigned RFAs still appear on it).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:13 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
^That happens a lot. Even with players who aren't un-signed. It happened with Linus Omark on the Oilers' roster just yesterday.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I know you said It wasn't directed towards me, but I'm not saying I don't like Kreider. He is doing well and his game has rounded out very nicely. All I'm saying is that MacLean is like Kreider but 3 years older and he has proven he can play in the pro's (AHL #'s are great). I don't want to trade Kreider for MacLean, I'm just comparing him to Kreider. There is nothing wrong with having MacLean AND Kreider
I get what your saying.

He does have very good AHL numbers, why hasn't he been given more of a chance in the NHL?

Old
07-13-2011, 01:57 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I wouldn't give Boyle up. Not for anyone that's not named Byfuglien anyway.

His size and increasing skating ability (thanks to the magic Barb) are sooo valuable. He could possibly be a top 5 most valuable piece by this year's end.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I get what your saying.

He does have very good AHL numbers, why hasn't he been given more of a chance in the NHL?
I am curious to know this also

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote