HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Camp - Scrimmage

Old
07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Coots has to be the worst ****ing nickname I have ever heard, anywhere.

Just saying.
Agreed.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Rinaldo's pretty solid and he'll probably impress a lot of people, same with Carcillo. But Carcillo had his NHL spot. Rinaldo should know that if he wants to stay in the NHL, he can't do anything stupid...
Carcillo played more HOCKEY than Rinaldo has at any level. I was no fan of Carcillo's act, but the man posted 30 goals in the OHL and put up some goals in the AHL. If Carcillo would play like less of a moron he'd be a legit 3rd liner in the NHL, or a very good 4th liner that could pop 10 goals for you.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Carcillo played more HOCKEY than Rinaldo has at any level. I was no fan of Carcillo's act, but the man posted 30 goals in the OHL and put up some goals in the AHL. If Carcillo would play like less of a moron he'd be a legit 3rd liner in the NHL, or a very good 4th liner that could pop 10 goals for you.
Did you see his stats when he came up with PHX his first full season? 24 pts in 57 games, with 324 PIMs to go along with it. Whenever he was on the ice, his name was going on the score card for something. He has an impressive amount of skill for an "enforcer", unfortunately he gave himself a reputation that painted a target on his back...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:04 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

any pictures?

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Did you see his stats when he came up with PHX his first full season? 24 pts in 57 games, with 324 PIMs to go along with it. Whenever he was on the ice, his name was going on the score card for something. He has an impressive amount of skill for an "enforcer", unfortunately he gave himself a reputation that painted a target on his back...
Yep, if you ask BCF16 he thinks coaching in the OHL ruined him by turning him down the nutjob path too much... and the same could possibly be said of Rinaldo from what I've read. That being said, the dude has never shown really legitimate hockey skill as far as translating to much of anything beyond the 12th forward at the NHL level.

Carcillo definitely showed a lot more, so not really a fair comparison for either player.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:17 PM
captainpaxil

cooter learned to keep his head up. week well spent.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:35 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by F L Y E R S View Post
any pictures?
I got a bunch, nothing great, all from my phone. The earlier pics posted are better.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Didn't go to the game today, but.

Quote:
Best d-man during scrimmage? / Good question... Hostetter/Gustafsson/LoVerde, imo.
-D_Leed

Quote:
Marshall has stood out in a bad way in this scrimmage. Gustafsson looks better than last year b/c he's stronger.
-Dave Issac

Marshall is killing me.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 06:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Marshall is killing me.
Agreed.

He had a solid camp, but apparently he blew pretty hard today. It's starting to get annoying.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 07:29 PM
RoDu

If lauridsen can continue to develop and make it to the NHL, to hell with Marshall then

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Mosetter27

had a game tonight in the roller rink at skate zone and i found a nice hostetter stick in the trash ahha... it broke at the blade (he uses a 2 piece composite) so went in the pro shop fired the heat gun pulled the stub of broken blade out and BAM i have a new stick hhaha

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
I agree. Give him another year dominating in juniors and let him work on gaining some more strength. Hopefully he can come into camp next year 200+ lbs and be more physically ready to compete in the NHL
If you send Couturier back to juniors, he isn't making 800K which he can then invest in a personal trainer. If he's back in juniors, Couturier's playing 30 minutes a night, MINIMUM, so he's going to have to work especially hard just to maintain weight. Finally, if you send Couturier back to juniors... as Gauthier's already stated, he has a chance of developing bad habits by playing against competition he clearly has an edge on.

So in summation:
*Better coach in the NHL
*Better trainers
*More time in the gym vs. time spent on the ice, playing
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
what if he was 'cooter' ?
Couturier works.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:44 PM
phlocky

Quote:
It'll be shocking if he doesn't make it with this competition. The more interesting one will be Couturier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I really hope they give Couturier a year or two. No need to rush this kid into what, a 3rd line role?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
I agree. Give him another year dominating in juniors and let him work on gaining some more strength. Hopefully he can come into camp next year 200+ lbs and be more physically ready to compete in the NHL
Do eople here really think we'd "rush" Couturier??? Seriously, what prospect have we "rushed" and ruined in the last 20 years??? Sbissa is about the ONLY on I can think of and that's only because we had so many injuries that we HAD to have him up and we protected him as much as we could, sending him down when we were able. Yes we've brought in guys when they were 18 years old but we NEVER throw them into a situation where there is a lot of pressure on them. Do you guys remember when Richards and Carter came here??? Those two were turning 21 that season IIRC (because they "lost" a year because of the lockout) and we started them out on the 4th line, Carter on the wing. It took them a full year before they were moved up to the 3rd line and even then they weren't thrown into a shut-down line.

We "protected" both Giroux and JVR for each of their 1st year + in the NHL. You can bet your butt that we WILL protect Schenn this season (assuming he's on the big club) and if Couturier makes the Flyers too he'll likely play on Schenns wing on the "3rd" line and NOT rolled out there against the other teams top lines. We will protect them as much as possible, give them VERY structured objectives for when they are on the ice, and make certain they are only in situations they can handle (as much as we can).

I for one am NOT worried about us "rushing" this kid and him NOT being able to handle the NHL level this year. I DON'T think it would hurt his developement to be on the Flyers this season. I say that rather then just let him basically be a man against boys in juniors, lets bring him in here and start developing him into the complete NHL player we want him to become.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:46 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
If you send Couturier back to juniors, he isn't making 800K which he can then invest in a personal trainer. If he's back in juniors, Couturier's playing 30 minutes a night, MINIMUM, so he's going to have to work especially hard just to maintain weight. Finally, if you send Couturier back to juniors... as Gauthier's already stated, he has a chance of developing bad habits by playing against competition he clearly has an edge on.

So in summation:
*Better coach in the NHL
*Better trainers
*More time in the gym vs. time spent on the ice, playingCouturier works.
Cootsy.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:28 AM
ilovetheflyers8

"Cooter's on fire!" While having a really good game.

"He really stuck it to Cooter." After taking a big hit.

"Cooter is bleeding all over the place." After being bloodied in a fight.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:50 AM
anthockey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd624 View Post
had a game tonight in the roller rink at skate zone and i found a nice hostetter stick in the trash ahha... it broke at the blade (he uses a 2 piece composite) so went in the pro shop fired the heat gun pulled the stub of broken blade out and BAM i have a new stick hhaha
Off topic, but who do you play for in that league? I'm on the green team haha

anthockey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Do eople here really think we'd "rush" Couturier??? Seriously, what prospect have we "rushed" and ruined in the last 20 years??? Sbissa is about the ONLY on I can think of and that's only because we had so many injuries that we HAD to have him up and we protected him as much as we could, sending him down when we were able. Yes we've brought in guys when they were 18 years old but we NEVER throw them into a situation where there is a lot of pressure on them. Do you guys remember when Richards and Carter came here??? Those two were turning 21 that season IIRC (because they "lost" a year because of the lockout) and we started them out on the 4th line, Carter on the wing. It took them a full year before they were moved up to the 3rd line and even then they weren't thrown into a shut-down line.

We "protected" both Giroux and JVR for each of their 1st year + in the NHL. You can bet your butt that we WILL protect Schenn this season (assuming he's on the big club) and if Couturier makes the Flyers too he'll likely play on Schenns wing on the "3rd" line and NOT rolled out there against the other teams top lines. We will protect them as much as possible, give them VERY structured objectives for when they are on the ice, and make certain they are only in situations they can handle (as much as we can).

I for one am NOT worried about us "rushing" this kid and him NOT being able to handle the NHL level this year. I DON'T think it would hurt his developement to be on the Flyers this season. I say that rather then just let him basically be a man against boys in juniors, lets bring him in here and start developing him into the complete NHL player we want him to become.
Zubrus leaps immediately leaps to mind as a guy they may have ruined.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:19 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
"Cooter's on fire!" While having a really good game.

"He really stuck it to Cooter." After taking a big hit.

"Cooter is bleeding all over the place." After being bloodied in a fight.

They can then make a "highlight" video and the music can be "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon.

Last edited by phlocky: 07-12-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old
07-12-2011, 01:27 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Zubrus leaps immediately leaps to mind as a guy they may have ruined.
Maybe, I forgot about him but then maybe it wasn't that he was ruined but moreso that he wasn't nearly as good as his hype.

At any rate, I really don't see there being much more for him to learn in junior hockey. What holes does he still have in his game that he needs "tootiledge" in juniors? I'm not speaking directly to you because I haven't seen you come out and say "he needs to go back to juniors" but moreso to those saying it's the best option for him and us. If he's good enough to earn a spot then I'm fine with us teaching him HERE. If he's just not ready, if he's timid, if he's overwhelmed, then he NEEDS to go back.

He will have the same things to learn and transition to in the NHL whether he does that this year, next year, or some time in the future. He will need to be brought alone slowly and helped/protected to make the transition to the NHL and the good thing for us is that we have the depth in front of him that we DON'T need to throw him into situations where there is too much expected of him too soon (something we DID do with Zubris).

Old
07-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Jester

Quote:
Maybe, I forgot about him but then maybe it wasn't that he was ruined but moreso that he wasn't nearly as good as his hype.

At any rate, I really don't see there being much more for him to learn in junior hockey. What holes does he still have in his game that he needs "tootiledge" in juniors? I'm not speaking directly to you because I haven't seen you come out and say "he needs to go back to juniors" but moreso to those saying it's the best option for him and us. If he's good enough to earn a spot then I'm fine with us teaching him HERE. If he's just not ready, if he's timid, if he's overwhelmed, then he NEEDS to go back.

He will have the same things to learn and transition to in the NHL whether he does that this year, next year, or some time in the future. He will need to be brought alone slowly and helped/protected to make the transition to the NHL and the good thing for us is that we have the depth in front of him that we DON'T need to throw him into situations where there is too much expected of him too soon (something we DID do with Zubris).
I think Zubrus' offensive game was stifled by playing at too high a level of competition too early... which he largely managed because of how big he was at that age.

I'm ambivalent on where Couturier ends up. I don't think it's a bad thing inherently if he's in the junior next year... my primary concern with him is that he's a tall lanky kid, and he might really struggle with his frame at the NHL level out of the gate. I think a big part of JVR's problem was that he was so damn lanky and needed to build mass to go along with his height.

The biggest problem is where do you put Couturier on this team if he's up here... do we really want a 3rd line of Schenn and Coturier (one of whom would be playing "out of position")?

Old
07-12-2011, 01:39 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
I am glad I am not making the decision on Couturier. I dont think there is anyway you can play him at 4C. Not going to learn anything there. I dont think hes ever played wing before has he? To ask him to learn to play wing against the best players of the world might be asking too much of the kid.
Then again if the Flyers want him at wing, and they feel he isnt mature enough yet physically could the Flyers ask Drummonville if they would move him to wing?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Jester

I doubt it. His junior team is a business, and winning games is ultimately their purpose.

In addition to that... we are not going to be able to trot out Briere and Giroux as our front line centers for all that long if we're serious about competing for a Cup. Briere is ultimately going to have to slide to the wing in the coming years, and we'll roll with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier, IMO.

I don't know how you rectify that short term.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
I doubt it. His junior team is a business, and winning games is ultimately their purpose.

In addition to that... we are not going to be able to trot out Briere and Giroux as our front line centers for all that long if we're serious about competing for a Cup. Briere is ultimately going to have to slide to the wing in the coming years, and we'll roll with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier, IMO.

I don't know how you rectify that short term.
yeah that is true. Didnt think about that. I agree that having Briere and Giroux as your 1-2 cnters should not be a long term solution. One has to think that Briere knows this and will have to accept it for the good of the team. We know he likes playing center, but he isnt good defensively and isnt much better in the faceoff dot.
This is one of the reasons why I wanted to go get a veteran center for the 3rd line. I think we are going to have to go thru some growing pains especially defensively with Schenn. I am not sure I am looking forward having him out there against players like Crosby,Malkin,Parise,Brad Richards ect. every other night.
He may very well may end up being better for it long term. Short term we could have some matchup issues.
Giroux/Schenn/Couturier in 2 or 3 years is something good to look forward to.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:22 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
They can then make a "highlight" video and the music can be "Sex on Fire" by Kings of Leon.

Good call.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:57 AM
PALE PWNR

Please Please Please don't call him Coots or Cooter or Cooters they all are awful Couturier is not hard and is fairly quick to pronounce seriously if you can't figure out why the other 3 are so awful then you need to visit the urban dictionary some time

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote