HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Camp July 11th-12th (Roster in Post #1)

Old
07-12-2011, 01:23 AM
rsaturday

vCash: 500
So, I went to camp today (7-11) and I wanted to share what I saw out there on the ice. I noticed a lot of the same things that the previous posters did, with a few exceptions. It is always so tough to really form an opinion on a player based on one scrimmage and a bunch of drills so you have to be careful not to get too carried away. I remember everyone just gushing over guys like Yanick Lehoux and Peter Kanko way back when.

It seems like a lot of the tryout guys scored most of the goals during the scrimmage. Without a doubt, Muzzin is the very best player in the camp. He is obviously a cut above all of the other defensemen I saw today, but that really should be no surprise to anyone.

I was particularly interested in a few guys who I watched a lot of.

Deslauries - He didn't flash a lot of the offensive skills that he is known for, but he did hustle and seemed to control his own end well. His skating was above average for the guys in camp. He showed some bursts of speed as well as quickness in the corners for a man of his size. He needs work adjusting to the size and speed of the game but I think he looked very promising. Reminded me of - a future Mattias Ohlund.

Toffoli - During the practice session, he looked great, displaying all kinds of offensive skill. He has a lot of moves, varies his shot selection, and seems to always be finding his way to an open scoring area. He looks to have that knack for finding the soft space like all good snipers do. However, during the scrimmage, he did look over matched in terms of skating strength and size. He is not going to make the big club right away. He will need a year or two to improve his skating and strength, but you can clearly see that the skills and scoring instincts are there. Reminded me of - Teddy Purcell (sorry in advance)

Vey - His size is going to be an issue. He does look to have some serious skill, but if you had to ask me to choose between him and Kozun at this point, I would choose Kozun. I saw him being interviewed by Hammond and he did not appear to be 6'0" 180 pounds as he is listed.

Kozun - In the last practice session, Kozun was dominating the drills with Czarnik and Kaunisto on his line. He scored several goals during by picking the corners and throwing lots of tough shots at the goalies. He seems to have a lot more moxie and grit than Vey for a small player and did not seem to be intimidated by some of the giants that were playing in the scrimmage. Reminded me of - Nelson Emerson with a little more edge.

Czarnik - This guy is very aggressive on offense and displayed a lot of skill in passing and carrying the puck. He worked well on the cycle down behind the net and in the corners. You can tell that he has confidence in his skating, and appears to like going into the corners to get the puck. He is listed the same size as Vey but there is no way that Vey is as big as him. Czarnik looks to have good reach and has the skating strength to carry the puck through defenders. Reminded me of - Frolov.

Forbort - I thought he skated pretty well for a guy of his size. He battled hard for most of the game but may need to learn how to use that size to intimidate other players rather than simply neutralize them. He has a very wide wingspan and his reach will be a huge asset to him. Hard to tell how aggressive he can be after one day, he supposedly has a mean streak. I got the feeling that he has a good hockey sense and has been well coached before. He will need to improve his skill, most importantly gaining confidence in moving the puck quickly and decisively. You could see a big difference in the way a guy like Muzzin quickly makes up his mind where the puck is going, and then zips off a pass, where a guy like Forbort has to think about it more. He just needs time to adjust to the speed of the game when he makes the jump to pro. Reminded me of - Tyler Myers or a poor man's Pronger.

There were a few guys that were surprises. These guys had a solid practice or scrimmage in my opinion.

Andreoff - Seemed to be actively involved in a lot of plays all over the ice. He used his body well in all zones. Think of a Dustin Brown/Lappy combo as his upside.

Nolan - He used his size to create offensive opportunities by driving to the net and causing havoc once he got there. Could be a good gritty winger one day who could chip in a goal or two.

Kaunisto - He has great size and showed a lot more skill than I expected. The goaltending in camp was fairly weak, but he seemed to find the net an awful lot during practice.

Lowry - Showed a high level of energy and was aggressive in trying to gain control of the puck. He challenged the defense on the forecheck.

Colin Miller - This kid from the Soo competed very hard out there against bigger and more experienced players. I liked his determination.

Blaz Gregorc - Slovenian invitee had good size and played a very solid game on D. At times I thought I was watching Forbort but then realized it was Blaz. But at 21 years old, he really doesn't have a ton of upside.

Gibson - I actually disagree with some of the other posters on here. I thought Gibson played decent in goal. He didn't give up much in the scrimmage. The kid has great size and seemed to show a lot of poise in goal. He has that body language that exudes confidence in himself - something you want in a goalie. I stood behind his net for the whole game and his practice session. He made an incredible save on Vey or Kozun. There was a goalmouth scramble to his left so he was off his angle and down when the puck popped loose toward the edge of the circle. The forward snapped off a quick wrister but Gibson lunged back quickly to make a spectacular stick save that got quite a reaction from the crowd. He is the kind of guy who will use his size to make saves. he won't be acrobatic like Quick but more positional like Bernier. I really liked that Ranford was spending a lot of time with him. IMHO Ranford has been a huge asset in the development of our goaltenders and hopefully he can work magic with this kid.

Disappointments

Weal - Seemed to have trouble skating today. Lost his edge twice in the offensive zone with nobody around him and fell to the ice during drills.

Martin Jones - Did not impress at all.

Campbell - Nothing special, but nothing glaringly bad.

Gravel - Invisible

Take it for what it's worth. I have been to many days of camp in the past and I have been wrong plenty of times. I had high hopes for Ned Lukacevic, Bednar, and Zizka once upon a time. But I also pegged guys like Quick, Moulson, and Lewis as keepers.

DL and the gang were in attendance and I wanted to ask him if he and Tambellini had any plans to vacation together soon, but I refrained.

Stoll must have been working out today. I saw him in the parking lot and we made eye contact as I drove by. I should have followed him home to his "crib"

If you didn't go today, go on Tuesday. Hockey in July is awesome!

rsaturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:03 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaturday View Post
Gibson - I actually disagree with some of the other posters on here. I thought Gibson played decent in goal. He didn't give up much in the scrimmage. The kid has great size and seemed to show a lot of poise in goal. He has that body language that exudes confidence in himself - something you want in a goalie. I stood behind his net for the whole game and his practice session. He made an incredible save on Vey or Kozun. There was a goalmouth scramble to his left so he was off his angle and down when the puck popped loose toward the edge of the circle. The forward snapped off a quick wrister but Gibson lunged back quickly to make a spectacular stick save that got quite a reaction from the crowd. He is the kind of guy who will use his size to make saves. he won't be acrobatic like Quick but more positional like Bernier. I really liked that Ranford was spending a lot of time with him. IMHO Ranford has been a huge asset in the development of our goaltenders and hopefully he can work magic with this kid.
I'm absolutely positive that was Jones who made that save. Gibson allowed all three goals scored by the White team, plus when Gibson was in net during the scrimmage he was on the far side of the ice by the retired jerseys and the wall.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:09 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: 2011 Los Angeles Kings Development Camp Part 1

Audio (raw) interviews from Development Camp on Monday...

Frozen Royalty Audio: 2011 Los Angeles Kings Development Camp – Part 1

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:20 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:

Campbell - Nothing special, but nothing glaringly bad.

Gravel - Invisible
Stopped caring right here. You do know both guys are defensive defenseman and saying things like invisible and nothing special is great for them? How often was Scuderi talked about this past season. Not at all. Tahts because for what he does, you don't want to have to talk about him.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:33 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Martin Jones - Did not impress at all.
How did he not impress you? Because he shut down the white team or because he didn't let any goals in?

You really must be mistaken, because jones was a rock. white team was battering him all morning and not one black goal was let in until he was changed out.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
How did he not impress you? Because he shut down the white team or because he didn't let any goals in?

You really must be mistaken, because jones was a rock. white team was battering him all morning and not one black goal was let in until he was changed out.
True, though Jones does sometimes have a way of taking it easy in practices and turning it up when it matters in scrimmages and games. I could see how someone could see him dogging the drills and really being unimpressed - that and he doesn't make highlight-reel saves in games...he just keeps his angles, uses his big frame, doesn't give up many rebounds and smothers the puck. It might look boring sometimes, but you're right, he didn't give up one goal in the scrimmage.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:46 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

White won 1-0 this morning. Nick Shore with the only goal.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Mully12
John Jackson!

Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
Were they streaming the game at all?

Mully12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:44 PM
rsaturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post
True, though Jones does sometimes have a way of taking it easy in practices and turning it up when it matters in scrimmages and games. I could see how someone could see him dogging the drills and really being unimpressed - that and he doesn't make highlight-reel saves in games...he just keeps his angles, uses his big frame, doesn't give up many rebounds and smothers the puck. It might look boring sometimes, but you're right, he didn't give up one goal in the scrimmage.
Guys, you might be right. I think the numbers may be have been switched. I was on the near side of the ice and the guy was wearing #31, who I thought was Gibson. That is what it says on the roster I downloaded from LAKings.com. Come to think of it, there was a guy being interviewed behind the curtain but I could see a 31 on his undershirt and I thought it was Gibson, but then at the end of the interview you could hear the reporters say "thanks martin", which confused me. So, eberything I said about Gibson and Jones.....reverse it! Sorry.....

Old
07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
rsaturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Stopped caring right here. You do know both guys are defensive defenseman and saying things like invisible and nothing special is great for them? How often was Scuderi talked about this past season. Not at all. Tahts because for what he does, you don't want to have to talk about him.
As I said, it is hard to judge from one day of a camp and you are right that defensive defensemen don't always stand out, which is usually a good sign for them. By no means does MY amateur opinion mean that Gravel and Campbell are never going to make it.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Guys, you might be right. I think the numbers may be have been switched. I was on the near side of the ice and the guy was wearing #31, who I thought was Gibson. That is what it says on the roster I downloaded from LAKings.com. Come to think of it, there was a guy being interviewed behind the curtain but I could see a 31 on his undershirt and I thought it was Gibson, but then at the end of the interview you could hear the reporters say "thanks martin", which confused me. So, eberything I said about Gibson and Jones.....reverse it! Sorry.....

Dude, if it helps, Gibson's half-black.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:43 PM
rsaturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Dude, if it helps, Gibson's half-black.
I had it backwards man. I am really glad too, because I expected Jones to be light years ahead of the other goalies. Check out this picture. That is Jones and not Gibson. The web site's PDF roster was all wrong.

THIS is the goalie who was tearing it up. And it was Gibson, not Jones that was getting scored on like crazy.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:47 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Notes from camp: http://lakingsnews.com/2011/07/12/de...2-impressions/

I'm currently uploading video of the ENTIRE scrimmage. Going to take a little while cause myinternet isnt great but I will post those as soon as their live.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:23 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Anyone contributing with first hand information from camp is a hero in my eyes.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Ok here are some of my thoughts from what I saw today.

Kozun Was very quick, nice skating and was throwing his weight around as best he could. Hit about 3-4 people in the corners. His only drawback I saw was he seemed to try and do too much himself.

Forbort Very nice skater, had a pretty pass up the ice during a line change of the other team. Used his body some, but not that often.

Andreoff Kid was tenacious on the forecheck, couple of nice steals and was a complete pest. Got into it behind the play a little with Gravel and Czarnik. I could see him definitely making the 4th Line someday and annoying other teams badly.

Toffoli Has a nice shot but didn't have the explosiveness to create things himself, needs a passer to contribute.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Ditto on kozun forcing the play. Had a couple of turnovers that were unnecessary.

Old
07-12-2011, 05:57 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Development Camp - Gibson

Kings prospect Chris Gibson talks about his hopes of making the NHL during development camp.

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:51 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Development Camp - Gravel

Kings prospect Kevin Gravel talks about his hopes of making the NHL during development camp.

Click HERE to watch!

Old
07-12-2011, 07:29 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Development Camp - Deslauriers

Kings prospect Nicolas Deslauriers talks about his hopes of making the NHL during development camp.

Click HERE to watch!

Old
07-12-2011, 07:51 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Development Camp - Shore

Kings prospect Nicholas Shore talks about his hopes of making the NHL during development camp.

Click HERE to watch!

Old
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

GREAT updates from everyone. Allot of you know how closely I follow prospects and potential draft picks throughout the season and as such I really appreciate everyone's opinions on how our kids are stacking up.

Its good to see Kozun playing with pressure mistakes and all. He knows that there is a spot for him if he can take it and it makes me feel good seeing the brash confident chippy winger showing some stress. It shows how much he wants to make the team. His skating is still very good from the vids I saw and his first step still looks good. He seems to favor his right upper body/shoulder to the point of avoiding his left. I wonder if he has a minor ding on the left side? Hard to tell.

With Des recovering from a couple of big injuries I expect him to have a soft camp but it is great to see that his positional play is solid.

All good things.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Development Camp - Coach Murray

Coach Murray talks about development camp and how important summer conditioning programs are.

Click HERE to watch!

Old
07-12-2011, 08:51 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

Development Camp - Coach Murray With Media

Coach Murray talked to the media following Development Camp.

Click HERE to watch!

Old
07-12-2011, 09:06 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Finally loaded the first period on youtube.

Here it is, the whole damn thing. http://lakingsnews.com/2011/07/12/ki...ge-1st-period/

There's a nice hit at 7:39

Second period will be up soon.

Last edited by JDM: 07-12-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 10:06 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

2nd period, with Shore's goal @ 13:50... though it had to be on the far end of the ice. http://lakingsnews.com/2011/07/12/de...ge-2nd-period/