HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty vs. Subban

View Poll Results: Doughty or Subban
Doughty 267 62.38%
Subban 161 37.62%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 04:16 AM
SB164

vCash: 500
From what I've seen, these two are very similar players in terms of style, but at this point, Doughty clearly has an advantage in almost every category over PK: he's bigger, plays a more mature/refined defensive game, has played flat-out dominant for long periods of time, and I believe he's also a bit more physical. I'd say Subban's a better skater, but that's not a knock considering Doughty is a phenomenal skater as well. The former also seems to have a harder shot, while the latter may have a more accurate one. Doughty also seems like a more cerebral player than Subban.

But people have to remember how much Pernell Karl has improved since being drafted. What Doughty has done is surely remarkable, but for a hyped 2nd overall draft pick, it shouldn't come as a complete surprise to any of us.

But what is PK's potential? Cause if he finds that perfect balance sooner rather than later, then watch the **** out!

Old
07-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
God, I hope some of the posts here are never seen on the main boards. Like we don't have a hard enough time as is.
I stumble through from time to time partially because I live in Montreal, but mostly just for threads like these.

This is hilariously awesome. Carry on.

Old
07-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Doughty, obviously. But PK is growing at a really fast pace, I'm not sure I'll say the same within a few years.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:09 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I stumble through from time to time partially because I live in Montreal, but mostly just for threads like these.

This is hilariously awesome. Carry on.
Not sure why you're so surprised. Subban's a charismatic, highly competitive, flashy and very talented player who has rapidly exceeded expectations at every stage of his career. He's fast, physical, and always engaged in the play--far more than any other player has been for the team in a long time. Even though he's not at Doughty's level, nor is he a Norris candidate nor world-beater, I don't see why it's hilarious that Hab fans would show partiality and loyalty to such a player.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:14 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Gotta go with Subban on this one, I think hes gonna be amazing

Old
07-12-2011, 06:19 AM
76ftw

Subban AINEC.

Though only because I know if he wins, Leafs/Bruins fans will scream. It's always worth it to make those loonies red in the face

Old
07-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
Please explain, because i can't see how anyone who knows anything about hockey would not go with Doughty at this point in their careers. If you're just being a complete homer then please tell us because that would be the only logical explanation for you picking Subban.
You do know that Doughty as issues right? Doughty is a big party boy that does not train hard and is not in the greatest shape nor does he have the best attitude or maturity.

Yes Doughty is presently slightly better, but I'm not sure iot will remain the case in the 2-3 years.

PK works hard while Doughty does not, who will keep progressing? Doughty as already regressed last year mostly from being out of shape and lack of effort.

I chose PK.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:51 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
My homerism is trying to take over, but cmon ****ing Doughty?! Any day of the week.
Skills: More refined.
Physicality: Stronger/Meaner.
Leadership: Last playoffs is all the proof you need. They were down 4-0 or something without Kopitar against the Sharks and he basically single-handedly tied the game.
Defense: More poise - less mistakes by a long shot.

What makes Subban special though is not that he's probably the only black NHL semi-star right now but it's the fact that he pushes himself to improve at an astonishing pace. I honestly don't know where his limits are, but I sure hope he's nowhere near them now.
Stronger and meaner?

Subban is 6' 202 lbs
Doughty is 6'1" 209 lbs and out of shape, so its fat

Younger by 1 year
Skills more refined now, but in a few years????

You forgot one of the most important factors, PK as determination and maturity. Doughty is a fat party boy. If they keep this up, PK will be the better D in a few years. PK's development is incredibly fast in the past 3 years and as everything to be as good as Doughty, and with the better attitude.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Stronger and meaner?

Subban is 6' 202 lbs

Younger by 1 year

You forgot one of the most important factors, PK as determination and maturity. Doughty is a fat party boy. If they keep this up, PK will be the better D in a few years. PK's development is incredibly fast in the past 3 years and as everything to be as good as Doughty, and with the better attitude.
Subban is 214 lbs. Tick boy.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:05 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Stronger and meaner?

Subban is 6' 202 lbs

Younger by 1 year

Doughty hits harder and more often than Subban and wins more puck battles in the corners. So yes, I would agree that Doughty is meaner and stronger than Subban.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
https://www.tsn.ca/franchisefaceoff/

So TSN, is having a Franchise Faceoff tournament.
PK is representing Montreal's Franchise Player and he is going head to head with Drew Doughty.

I love PK, but I would take Doughty in a heartbeat.
Doughty is the better player right now, but as of today Subban's contract status(low cap hit for 2011-2012) might give him an edge or at least put him on par with Doughty.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:22 AM
habsjunkie2*

I gave a homer vote for PK.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:23 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Doughty hits harder and more often than Subban and wins more puck battles in the corners. So yes, I would agree that Doughty is meaner and stronger than Subban.
To be fair Doughty has also had a lot more time to adjust to playing at the NHL level and picking his spots. Not to mention Doughty can take a chance on the big hits, Jack Johnson is a pretty fast skater. If Subban fails he has Gill as the last defense, which likely factors in him narrowing down his chances even more.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Stronger and meaner?

Subban is 6' 202 lbs

Younger by 1 year

Subban played last year between 210 and 215 lbs, I think he arrived in camp at 216lbs.

Doughty was out of shape a bit in junior at 17 his draft year but lost like 10lbs before his rookie year.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:31 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
QUOTE=Sined;34930563]https://www.tsn.ca/franchisefaceoff/

So TSN, is having a Franchise Faceoff tournament.
PK is representing Montreal's Franchise Player and he is going head to head with Drew Doughty.

I love PK, but I would take Doughty in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]
Its a bit like comparing Chris Chelios to Paul Coffey(not as extreme though). Doughty is better all round but PK has a touch of the flower's flash. IF PK continues to develop he will be quite the player.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:31 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Subban played last year between 210 and 215 lbs, I think he arrived in camp at 216lbs.

Doughty was out of shape a bit in junior at 17 his draft year but lost like 10lbs before his rookie year.
I wouldnt be surprise to see Subban at 220 at the camp.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Teufelsdreck

Doughty, but the Habs are also fortunate to have a great young Dman.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:08 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
You do know that Doughty as issues right? Doughty is a big party boy that does not train hard and is not in the greatest shape nor does he have the best attitude or maturity.

Yes Doughty is presently slightly better, but I'm not sure iot will remain the case in the 2-3 years.

PK works hard while Doughty does not, who will keep progressing? Doughty as already regressed last year mostly from being out of shape and lack of effort.

I chose PK.
Doughty being a party boy is irrelevant. He probably won't stay that way forever, most likely, it's a phase.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:14 AM
OpenIceHit

Where did you get that Doughty was a fat ass party animal? Because he's 21 and likes to have a few drinks with beautiful women?

Old
07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
KFlint

Can't believe it was actually 47 to 47 when I voted, people are massive homers on this one...!

Old
07-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I can't believe Subban isn't winning in a landslide. Is this a Habs board or what? Sure, Doughty might be a bit better. But Subban is our Subban... the choice should be obvious. Subban's worth more than his on-ice value.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:48 AM
habshound247

This is closer than most realize. Both are dynamic young defensemen. They contribute offensively and defensively. Doughty has a Norris nomination and an Olympic gold medal, so he should get the nod right now. But both of these guys will see a LOT of ice time for Canada at the next Olympics. And PK's next contract is going to reflect the money Doughty gets this year, unless PK completely collapses, and I don't see it happening. TSN is using this comparison, which speaks to what they think of PK...not too shabby.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

And my vote makes it 50-49 for Subby-Doo

To be honest, I think they are very close and comparable, tight match-up and in that case homerism obviously kicks in.

I would honestly love to see em paired together for the next Olympics, would be dynamite

Old
07-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFlint View Post
Can't believe it was actually 47 to 47 when I voted, people are massive homers on this one...!
Some are homers, but others believe Subban will only get better. It's possible...we'll see as soon as next season if he improves. If he does, he'll close the gap with Doughty, and then, it would be a who would you rather have...P.K. is a pest and a character player. He's the type of guy you want on your team. So I guess that's part of the reason it's almost equal.

But right now, it should be Drew Doughty...there's no If in this contest...

And in the end, it should be Stamkos VS. Toews...

Old
07-12-2011, 09:06 AM
theboss*

Sorry guys I', going to have to go with Price's look a like, Drew Doughty

Closed Thread