HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty vs. Subban

View Poll Results: Doughty or Subban
Doughty 267 62.38%
Subban 161 37.62%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 08:16 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
I like Subban as much as the next guy but come on, it's obviously Doughty at this point. The guy was arguably Team Canada's best defenseman at the Olympics and already has a Norris nomination...

Old
07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Protest the Hero

You know, it's pretty nice having a young defenseman who can be compared to a highly touted guy like like Doughty.

Not to mention one of them was drafted second overall, the other 43rd.

I voted Doughty considering just hockey play as of now.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I like Subban as much as the next guy but come on, it's obviously Doughty at this point. The guy was arguably Team Canada's best defenseman at the Olympics and already has a Norris nomination...
This.

Its not like its a bad thing that Doughty is a better, younger defenseman. It would be closer between Pietrangelo or Subban. Even then it would be 50/50. Doughty is a party animal right now, but give it time. Price got outta that phase and look at him now.

I'd take doughty anytime.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
You know, it's pretty nice having a young defenseman who can be compared to a highly touted guy like like Doughty.

Not to mention one of them was drafted second overall, the other 43rd.

I voted Doughty considering just hockey play as of now.
Don't get too excited today its between Berglund and Stamkos ouch.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR

This is why you can't have nice things

Old
07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Andy

Doughty.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:59 AM
neofury*

Like I said in another thread Subban could potentially be a Doughty or better and come cheaper for years. I'm actually a huge fan of both but I think Doughty is slightly overrated and Subban severely underrated due to bias against him. Not referring to racial but rather just the rest of the leagues fan bases being haters.

Subban could be better than Doughty in a few years it's way too soon to judge. Right now Doughty is better, I think I'd keep the guy who is already almost as good and has potential to be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
I love PK as much as the next Habs fan but I don't get how any objective NHL watcher could choose him over Doughty today, he was a beast in the Olympics and even though his production dipped a little this year he turned it on in the playoffs when they were missing their top centre. PK has developed nicely but Doughty 11 times out of 10 at this point, who knows how this comparison will look at the end of their career or in 5 years but that's how good Doughty has been, plain and simple. Anyone choosing PK now is letting the logo on his chest cloud their judgement.
It's pretty simple really. Today is today, tomorrow is tomorrow. Some people feel Subban will be a better player than Doughty overall. Also yes Doughty's production dipped. All I'm saying is it's way too early to tell. Giving away Subban for Doughty could turn out like the Leclair deal imo. If we're assuming both players maintain their current level of play then it's Doughty. I'm not assuming anything about Subban though. He could go much further he could remain the same. He too is still young. Doughty may have reached his ceiling or much worse had a career year the previous year. Not denying the same can be said for Subban but it remains to be seen. I simply wouldn't risk losing him.

Doughty will cost a ton and might not even bring much more than Subban will next year. Pulling the trigger on a straight up trade like this could prove to be counter productive for the habs in the long term. Short term having Doughty would be ridiculous though I will admit. But even at the loss of Subban I don't see it being as huge an improvement as some people think.

What if Tampa traded Stamkos for a guy like Gomez after his first season. You simply don't trade up and comers with huge potential for guys coming off a bad season. Not when that up and comer has already proven a **** load at the NHL level.

Last edited by neofury*: 07-12-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old
07-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Doughty is better now for sure.

The question is though... who would you start a franchise with? That makes it a tougher question. Tough not to take Doughty based on how good he already is. But this is one time I don't see people who take Subban as being blind homers. I can understand some folks taking Subban based on the question. Subban really does look like he could be awesome.

I've got to go with Doughty though, when healthy he might be the most complete defenseman in the league. I expect future Norris trophies for him if he can stay healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I stumble through from time to time partially because I live in Montreal, but mostly just for threads like these.

This is hilariously awesome. Carry on.
Montreal didn't make this poll, TSN did. And they put Subban in there for a reason, he's got amazing potential.

I would take Doughty because he's more proven but this isn't the joke that you're making it out to be. It's based on potential and Subban really does look amazing.

Fans are notorious for overrating their own players, but in this case I actually think it warrants discussion. And apparently TSN think so too.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Paul Dipietro

There's no arguing that Doughty's poise when he first broke out in the league was nothing short of amazing. But one wonders how much of it could be attributed to playing in a more moderate hockey market and possibly more permissive coaches

Old
07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
McSorleyStick
GIJON !

I'm a homer

So PK

Old
07-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Habs

Hab homers are awesome.... 'Subban over Doughty no question, Doughty sux'.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:18 AM
tiersen24

I would vote subban for potential ceiling and marketing..this guy is gold for a franchise who wants to build and sell around him...

But it's a close one with what Doughty already achieved...

Old
07-12-2011, 09:18 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
There's no arguing that Doughty's poise when he first broke out in the league was nothing short of amazing. But one wonders how much of it could be attributed to playing in a more moderate hockey market and possibly more permissive coaches
That's definitely another way to look at it.

What Subban accomplished on a shorter leash (most of the season) as well as a weaker team (in both post seasons one being not even a real rookie) is commendable and very thought provoking in terms of his compete level, work ethic and development.

Plus I saw a video of PK recently and he looked like he had added 10lbs of muscle. He looks absolutely huge. If he weren't black I may have asked "Andrei is that you?". He may have reached his ceiling but god help the rest of the league if this is just the tip of the ice berg.

For that and the cap space alone I roll the dice on Subban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Habs pessimists are awesome too... crying over every little thing management does or thing fans say. Why do you even bother following the team or sport? Honestly why don't you just go watch the Red Sox. Obviously people like you can't handle watching a sport in a competitive league and would rather watch a rigged sport where only 8 teams can compete every year. You're holding onto the past dude, this isn't back in the day anymore where the habs assaulted the draft get over it. Only one in thirty teams wins each year, it isn't 1/6 teams with the habs scamming all the good players out of the draft anymore

Old
07-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Holy over-exaggeration batman! No one has even said anything like this and if it has been said, it probably hasn't even been more than one poster.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:26 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That's definitely another way to look at it.

What Subban accomplished on a shorter leash (most of the season) as well as a weaker team (in both post seasons one being not even a real rookie) is commendable and very thought provoking in terms of his compete level, work ethic and development.

Plus I saw a video of PK recently and he looked like he had added 10lbs of muscle. He looks absolutely huge. If he weren't black I may have asked "Andrei is that you?". He may have reached his ceiling but god help the rest of the league if this is just the tip of the ice berg.

For that and the cap space alone I roll the dice on Subban.

Habs pessimists are awesome too... crying over every little thing management does or thing fans say. Why do you even bother following the team or sport? Honestly why don't you just go watch the Red Sox. Obviously people like you can't handle watching a sport in a competitive league and would rather watch a rigged sport where only 8 teams can compete every year. You're holding onto the past dude, this isn't back in the day anymore where the habs assaulted the draft get over it. Only one in thirty teams wins each year, it isn't 1/6 teams with the habs scamming all the good players out of the draft anymore
Not sure if the weaker team argument is true.

On the one hand, the Habs seem to be a weaker team, but they lacked Markov. If Markov had been here last season... Subban would have played fewer minutes, and put up lesser stats, and learned less.

On the other hand, Doughty gets to pair up with Jack Johnson.

Overall I think Doughty is better right now. He'll get a larger contract this year than Subban will next year. However, Subban might have a better career. He is an extremely hard worker.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:53 AM
JSBach

I'll take Doughty but I still love PK.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Today, tough to go against Doughty...but I think it'll def be up for debate at this point next year.

Subban's ceiling as a player is sky high and you know he has the attitude/drive to reach that ceiling.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Not sure if the weaker team argument is true.

On the one hand, the Habs seem to be a weaker team, but they lacked Markov. If Markov had been here last season... Subban would have played fewer minutes, and put up lesser stats, and learned less.

On the other hand, Doughty gets to pair up with Jack Johnson.

Overall I think Doughty is better right now. He'll get a larger contract this year than Subban will next year. However, Subban might have a better career. He is an extremely hard worker.
All I'm saying is that Doughty started playing the year after LA finished tied for last in the league. So in terms of pressure and expectations (coming from the team and the fans), he probably didn't have that many sleepless nights (due to stress )

Old
07-12-2011, 09:58 AM
zzoo

If Doughty plays for Habs, then the vote will be 99% for him. And all of us will laugh at this poll.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
If Doughty plays for Habs, then the vote will be 99% for him. And all of us will laugh at this poll.
Even Stamkos over Berglund is at 93%, so I say it'd be ~95%, with the other 5% being Toronto and Boston fans.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
How much does style factor into the evaluation?

I can't see how it's not Doughty. I think a lot of us, when we look at PK's upside, we hope he can become a Drew Doughty. But he's not Drew Doughty right now and he may never be. Still think both players have a lot of room to grow.

That being said, I'm gonna vote for PK in that TSN poll just to piss off other fans. Speaking of which: Hi other fans who were directed here from the main boards!

Old
07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Doughty just gained about 30 votes. Other teams fans voting in our polls?

Old
07-12-2011, 10:22 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
If Subban were not on the Habs we would not know about him, not to the extent we do. We would think he is a temporarily overachieving 2nd round draft pick.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Doughty just gained about 30 votes. Other teams fans voting in our polls?
No doubt. Too bad, because the poll should be a lot closer than this here, as it was trending previously.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:35 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

This isn't fair to Subban. Price should be listed as our franchise player...

Closed Thread