HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2011-2012 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Treb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Anybody else think that Louis Leblanc will have to work hella hard to even sniff at the NHL level? Something tells me he was a strike-out compared to more sure picks like Tinordi and Beaulieu (who I am absolutely in love with).
You have to consider he played injured for some time this season.

Old
07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Leblanc is sure fire to make the NHL.
I love louis, but there are very few prospects that are surefire future nhl'ers. He's not one of them.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
07-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Anybody else think that Louis Leblanc will have to work hella hard to even sniff at the NHL level? Something tells me he was a strike-out compared to more sure picks like Tinordi and Beaulieu (who I am absolutely in love with).
He hasn't been lucky with his injuries. He'll need time to bulk up... Time will tell.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I love louis, but there are very few prospects that are surefire future nhl'ers. He's not one of them.
In my mind, he is. Either he'll play top6 or he the bottom6. His work ethic will make him a NHLer.

Old
07-11-2011, 08:46 AM
whitespy
Allllriiight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
In my mind, he is. Either he'll play top6 or he the bottom6. His work ethic will make him a NHLer.
Actually his work ethic, this year, was worrisome for me. I went to see him play about 10-15 times this year, and I'm not sure if your opinion is based on this year alone, but I found him to be even lethargic at times with the Juniors.

I understand Louis was injured this year and that he's played a lot of hockey compared to last year, but he's got a lot of work to do and I thought his work ethic and consistancy are the biggest things he's got to work on after this past season.

Those who watched him play in the WJC and saw someone who at the very least worked hard when he wasn't putting points up on the board, I can't say I saw the same during the games I watched with the Juniors.

However, I've also seen him play with the LSL live, and I can tell you that he was all work ethic and talent. So I'm not saying it's not there, it was just sorely lacking THIS year, and I feel he's gotta get back on track. So having said that, I feel Louis has still got lots of work to do to make it, especially with the recent setback (the injury), but I believe he will.

Now watting to be torn a new one..

Old
07-11-2011, 08:49 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Leblanc is easily a surefire bet to play in the NHL at some point. If for some reason his offensive game doesn't translate, he should be able to slid into a checking line role. The only concern I'd have for him is his lack of size and strength, but I don't think it's a big enough concern to think he won't at least see time in the NHL.

Quote:
I don't think he has to work harder then anyone else to make the NHL, he's a smart hockey player that works hard and has at least decent offensive skills imo. I think he will be in the NHL full time in 2-3 years.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Good thing about 1st round picks is that they usually get a sniff at the NHL level at some point, they are big investments, and it takes a lot to let go of them as total busts. Whether they stick or become the players we hoped they'd become when they were drafted, well...

Anyway, I like Leblanc's odds, as a 2-way forward he has more openings available to him than basically any other position will have. Who really knows what will ultimately happen, though. The defensemen have a longer way to go IMHO. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Tinordi ends up as a long-term NHLer. I'd probably rate them in reverse order in terms of likelihood of making it.... Leblanc #1, Beaulieu a close #2, Tinordi a very distant #3. With no strong convictions involved.

Old
07-11-2011, 09:04 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Actually his work ethic, this year, was worrisome for me. I went to see him play about 10-15 times this year, and I'm not sure if your opinion is based on this year alone, but I found him to be even lethargic at times with the Juniors.

I understand Louis was injured this year and that he's played a lot of hockey compared to last year, but he's got a lot of work to do and I thought his work ethic and consistancy are the biggest things he's got to work on after this past season.

Those who watched him play in the WJC and saw someone who at the very least worked hard when he wasn't putting points up on the board, I can't say I saw the same during the games I watched with the Juniors.

However, I've also seen him play with the LSL live, and I can tell you that he was all work ethic and talent. So I'm not saying it's not there, it was just sorely lacking THIS year, and I feel he's gotta get back on track. So having said that, I feel Louis has still got lots of work to do to make it, especially with the recent setback (the injury), but I believe he will.

Now watting to be torn a new one..

That's too bad to hear, I only saw him in the USHL, NCAA and WJC's, I didn't care too much for him in the USHL, didn't like his frame and his skating made me think of Ribeiro, but loved what I saw from him on a bad Havard team and thought was good at the WJC's in his various roles. I am surprised to hear he wasn't working hard, since it's one thing he seemed to do at every level i've seen him. But we'll see how he does this year in Hamilton, I know I will be keeping a close eye on him and should see most if not all his games with the Dogs, so we'll see how hard he works.

Old
07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Count of DannyKristo

We now know Didier will play at Denver (NCAA) this season rather than going back to the USHL for a year. Anyone have info on Colin Sullivan? Is he going back to high school, the USHL, or straight to Yale?

Old
07-11-2011, 10:12 PM
blueberry

I personally don't think leblanc will really make it. I'm sure the habs will give him every opportunity though, much more than most of the guys get just because he's such a political pick. Let's face it, he's not fast , big or really talented, doesn't score. Really what does he do? OK he's a hard worker and he skates ok but hey. He played in the quebec league for god's sake and didn't do much. You think he'll be any better in hanilton? doubt it never mind the nhl. He'll get a sniff only because the habs need him to make it. Reminds me of esposito in a way. It was a political pick from day one at the draft. That's a big problem in montreal.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:05 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
I personally don't think leblanc will really make it. I'm sure the habs will give him every opportunity though, much more than most of the guys get just because he's such a political pick. Let's face it, he's not fast , big or really talented, doesn't score. Really what does he do? OK he's a hard worker and he skates ok but hey. He played in the quebec league for god's sake and didn't do much. You think he'll be any better in hanilton? doubt it never mind the nhl. He'll get a sniff only because the habs need him to make it. Reminds me of esposito in a way. It was a political pick from day one at the draft. That's a big problem in montreal.
Everything you said is exactly the opposite of what I think.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:49 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
He played about the whole season with a shoulder injured, I think its not really reasonable to evaluate him properly based on the last season..

A guy like Patrice Bergeron doesnt excel in anything but he does everything right on the ice.. Thats what Im expecting from Louis, a solid 2 way center who does alot of little things very well and a guy who can score clutch goals.. Im not saying he will become as good as Bergeron but thats the kind of player he can become IMO.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:51 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Bobby Mac liked him in the draft and that is about the best endorsement there is. Of course he will need to develop. Worst case may be a Dougie Risebrough or a Brian Skrudland sort of player. Hopefully he can beef up.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Leblanc is easily a surefire bet to play in the NHL at some point. If for some reason his offensive game doesn't translate, he should be able to slid into a checking line role. The only concern I'd have for him is his lack of size and strength, but I don't think it's a big enough concern to think he won't at least see time in the NHL.

I don't think he has to work harder then anyone else to make the NHL, he's a smart hockey player that works hard and has at least decent offensive skills imo. I think he will be in the NHL full time in 2-3 years.
Filling out his frame is the easiest thing a player can do, you can't teach hockey sense and skating is usually a pretty natural thing, also his fire and passion is not something you can grow in a player and he has it.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He's 6' tall and an above average skater. In terms of talent, well he was above 1 PPGM at the WJHC which is the best junior aged players in the world, not some low end Jr.A league or prep school. The reason his stats weren't that great in the Q is he played most of the year with a shoulder that was in terrible shape, needing major surgery.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Protest the Hero

Some people might think becoming a third line centre isn't good enough for a first round pick(umm hello Jordan Stall?), but being a good third line centre behind potentially Plekanec, and Eller manning the top 6, I'd be happy with that.

I know the early word is he'll probably be a winger in the NHL, but we'll see.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacegoat View Post
We now know Didier will play at Denver (NCAA) this season rather than going back to the USHL for a year. Anyone have info on Colin Sullivan? Is he going back to high school, the USHL, or straight to Yale?
I haven't heard so I assume Sullivan is going back to High School.

Quote:
So he's not talented and doesn't score? He lead every single team he's played on in scoring (this year he led in ppg only) I just don't understand how someone can say that he has no talent when he's the top scorer on every team at every level. It boggles the mind actually.

Old
07-12-2011, 09:04 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Yeah, that Esposito pick really blew up in our faces, eh?

Old
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Yeah, there's been a lot of these political picks in the first round over the years, right...

Old
07-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Yeah, there's been a lot of these political picks in the first round over the years, right...
Honestly, with all the pressure to go for a Quebec born player, they had a whole lot of courage to not go with Esposito....but the draft wasn't in Montreal. In 2009 it was....and really, you look at who was there at the time and you really believe Leblanc was not #1 on Timmins list even though we saw that sheet on his desk....being local, for me, made Timmins put Leblanc there. But on a hockey standpoint, if the draft isn't in Montreal, I would not have been surprised to see Timmins go for Kreider or Moore. Clearly, Quebec for Quebec, he prefered Leblanc to Caron or Despres, we will see how that will turn out. While it's not who's in the league first that wins, Caron will most likely see some NHL time this upcoming year...and his size and skills might make him a top 6 player in the end. While Timmins ended up going with what he thinks will become more complete. Could also be right donw the road.....But Kreider and Moore fits so much more the profile of a Timmins pick, would not have been surprise that Leblanc would be behind those guys if the draft wasn't here....

But to say Leblanc won't make it....He,s as sure to make it as anybody else....just the role might change.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly, with all the pressure to go for a Quebec born player, they had a whole lot of courage to not go with Esposito....but the draft wasn't in Montreal. In 2009 it was....and really, you look at who was there at the time and you really believe Leblanc was not #1 on Timmins list even though we saw that sheet on his desk....being local, for me, made Timmins put Leblanc there. But on a hockey standpoint, if the draft isn't in Montreal, I would not have been surprised to see Timmins go for Kreider or Moore. Clearly, Quebec for Quebec, he prefered Leblanc to Caron or Despres, we will see how that will turn out. While it's not who's in the league first that wins, Caron will most likely see some NHL time this upcoming year...and his size and skills might make him a top 6 player in the end. While Timmins ended up going with what he thinks will become more complete. Could also be right donw the road.....But Kreider and Moore fits so much more the profile of a Timmins pick, would not have been surprise that Leblanc would be behind those guys if the draft wasn't here....

But to say Leblanc won't make it....He,s as sure to make it as anybody else....just the role might change.
Kreider is a non Timmins pick...no hockey sense. The kid is big and can skate like the wind but he has little value in a hockey rink. Leblanc is highly competitive and a high character guy, those are definite Timmins traits.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Kreider is a non Timmins pick...no hockey sense. The kid is big and can skate like the wind but he has little value in a hockey rink. Leblanc is highly competitive and a high character guy, those are definite Timmins traits.
Well we'll agree to disagree on Kreider's hockey sense. Timmins 1st rounders are usually filled with POSSIBLE incredible ceiling and high upside and should I mention, strong skating skills. Which was the reason for the AKost pick. Price, Fischer, McDo and MaxPac. Went totally off board with Chip who became BPA for him once he starts falling. By the way, I'm not saying Leblanc is not Timmins' type of pick, just saying I believe he had other options.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

Pretty sure it was said that Moore was going to be picked if we didn't take Leblanc, and that was a few weeks before the draft.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well we'll agree to disagree on Kreider's hockey sense. Timmins 1st rounders are usually filled with POSSIBLE incredible ceiling and high upside and should I mention, strong skating skills. Which was the reason for the AKost pick. Price, Fischer, McDo and MaxPac. Went totally off board with Chip who became BPA for him once he starts falling. By the way, I'm not saying Leblanc is not Timmins' type of pick, just saying I believe he had other options.
there are always other options. I just don't see Kreider being a Timmins pick, he would rather draft a small player with average speed but great skills(Gallagher Dumont) than a big guy with speed but no offensive skill. Kreider is a Chad Kilger type.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
there are always other options. I just don't see Kreider being a Timmins pick, he would rather draft a small player with average speed but great skills(Gallagher Dumont) than a big guy with speed but no offensive skill. Kreider is a Chad Kilger type.
Have you ever seen Kreider?

Closed Thread