HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who is the better line 2 center

Old
07-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Let me add a different flavor to this argument.

Anisimov, while he isn't the thickest guy in the world is in much better condition physically to deal with top 4 defensemen, both size and position oriented.

His possession game suits the BAR line, and at this point he is better suited to handle better defensive matchups.

Stepan, on the other hand should thrive against the weaker opposition that his 3rd line will face. Stepan will direct the 3rd line, likely consisting of Avery and Fedotenko, and should add some offense not only from that spot but as he continues to grow at the right point on the second PP unit.

At this point in time, unless Stepan takes leaps and bounds forwards this year I think he is in best shape on the 3rd line. We know AA is never going to really look out of place with anything but his footspeed wherever you play him, be it the first line or the 4th.

07-11-2011, 09:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Let Stepan grow into the 1st/2nd line role. Anisimov is doing perfectly well there and has chemistry with Dubi (and Cally, so it still works if Dubi's on the top line).

It's fantastic that we have this "problem" with two centers who are both younger than 24.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 09:53 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Stepan skills are more center than Anisimov.

Both have a lot to work on though.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Now, Arty. In a couple years, Step.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
They're very different types of players, so it's difficult to answer the question. Right now Anisimov is better away from the puck and better in his own zone. You can already tell Stepan will be the better playmaker, it's his competitive advantage. Looking forward to seeing these two grow into their own.

Down a goal and faceoff in the opposing zone, give me Stepan.

Up a goal and faceoff in our own zone, give me Anisimov.
This is probably the most on-point post of the thread. I think it likely stays this way as well. I don't see Stepan ever reaching Anisimov's defensive prowess and I don't see Anisimov ever developing Stepan's creativity in the offensive zone. Stepan may never score a goal as pretty as some of Anisimov's. But he'll likely continue to outproduce him because he knows how to create a scoring chance. He knows how to draw a defender (or two) and find the open seam. He has that mindset to attack the middle of the ice and find room to make a play or get to a loose puck. His brain for the game is quicker than Anisimov's and that's unlikely to change. Anisimov will occasionally dazzle you with a highlight reel dangle goal, but it's not consistently his mindset nor the strength of his game.

The scary thing is, he DOES have that ability, and he has the natural size and reach which can't be taught or developed. I think for Anisimov to take his game to the next level (60 points and beyond), it's all between the ears. It's a mindset and it's confidence with the puck. We've seen flashes of it. But if he ever gets comfortable enough to bring that whenever he gets the puck (after taking care of his own zone of course), the premature Datsyuk-lite comparisons of a year or two ago may come to fruition. In my opinion, it's doubtful, and that's fine. If Anisimov's offensive numbers stay at what they are now, while he keeps up his defensive game and improves his physicality as he gets older and stronger, we'll have a fantastic center for a long time. Same with Stepan, if he does nothing but get stronger and more comfortable with the speed of the pro-game, and an 82-game schedule, there'll be no complaints from me. But if these two players, who have 3 years COMBINED NHL experience continue to develop in all areas, then the Rangers are going to be one of the best teams in the East for a long time.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 07-11-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 10:38 PM
SERE 24
LGR

AA is the better option right now. Stepan is going to have the higher offensive ceiling and will likely surpass AA after this season, in that regard.

I believe AA will be a capable 60 point, two-way center, which would make him a good #2 on the majority of NHL teams.

I believe Stepan can be a 75 point center which would make him a #2 almost anywhere and a #1 in some places. It's also possible, however, that he maxes out before that - nothing is ever guaranteed.

I expect this season to be a breakout year for AA. I won't be surprised to see him approach 60 points this season. For Stepan, I could see this season being a small dip in production, similar production or slightly better production, but I don't see him making more than 6-7 point jump. Expect his goal total to go down.

Ultimately, if we keep both long-term, Stepan will have to be the #2 and AA will move to #3. In the long-run, this could actually be a waste of AA's potential, depending on wingers, but his strong two-way game makes him the better candidate to be the #3 center anyways. Having a good two-way line is important (currently Dubi-AA-Cally is a very good two-way line).

In the end, center depth is extremely valuable and we already have great defensive depth. If AA and Stepan both come near their potentials, we will likely see the order be Richards - Stepan - AA, but we will be blessed to have very strong center depth and will more than likely roll those three lines fairly evenly.

Ultimately, although AA's potential is really a #2C, he is better suited for the #3 spot than Stepan will be. Stepan's higher offensive ceiling only reasserts that. Stepan will probably take over the #2 spot next year. For now though, the Dubi - AA - Cally line is a good one and AA is a little more suited for 2nd line duty, right now.

Torts will undoubtedly juggle it around throughout the season anyhow.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 10:41 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I am just very happy this thread even exists.

We have had much worse problems.

07-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I really don't know but its a ****ing wonderful problem to have.
this.........i have no idea either but i'm thrilled to have them both. What a difference a top C in BR makes for the depth down the pipe

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 11:54 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I am just very happy this thread even exists.

We have had much worse problems.
i agree completely...its a good problem to have and it will hopefully be lines 2 and 2a, not 2 and 3.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:49 AM
satrabyk

As of now its obviously AA, but Stepan has shown some flashes of a good hockey player. To me Stepan he i still a question mark in terms of his future.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Maybe if we consider only offense.

Anisimov is the more complete player at this point and it's not close.
agreed...and AA was a 40/40 guy in the A, and has improved every season statistically. I wouldnt be at all surprised to see a 25/35 season from AA.

honestly i think they are both 2nd line centers...its a good problem to have. i think going forwards we're going to be a team that has 2 legitimate 2nd lines, and 1 legitimate top line.

That makes for a contender.

But we still need to find someone to fill that first line LW spot...once we do that, a lot of our problems disappear.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

- Step was tied for 113-120 spot among all forwards in scoring.
- Anisimov was tied for 121-124 spot.

This means that AA and Step were borderline 4-5 leading scorers on an average NHL team. Considering that being a second second liner means being in the top 6, their scoring is already at the second line level. However, due to their age the two are not as polished as others at the same level.

By the way, if they score 50+ points, they will be in the top 90 scorers (30 teams X 3 players), and both are likely to reach that plateau.

I must say, scoring has really gone down since I became a fan. I remember when GAA below 3.00 was considered good for a starter and anything below 2.50 was absolutely unbelievable and could have only been achieved by an amazing goalie with great defense in front of him.

Our 1994 third line of Tikkanen - Nemchinov - Noonan all had around 50 points that year, and scoring had already started to go down by then.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:56 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
I'd say Anisimov is the better option for our second line this season, but if I could only keep one of them, it would be Stepan.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:57 AM
GodlyRangers

Thanks everyone for posting and actually being in agreement. The general consensus that i see is:

anisimov: better defensively, better without the puck, better with dubi and cally, better right now.

stepan: better vision, better creativity, better offensive upside.

so basically they fit different important roles and will be awesome for years to come. I cant wait to see these kids grow up.

However, I think a lot of you are forgetting anisimov's amazing puck handling skills that he shows in flashes for highlight reel goals.

GodlyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
They're very different types of players, so it's difficult to answer the question. Right now Anisimov is better away from the puck and better in his own zone. You can already tell Stepan will be the better playmaker, it's his competitive advantage. Looking forward to seeing these two grow into their own.

Down a goal and faceoff in the opposing zone, give me Stepan.

Up a goal and faceoff in our own zone, give me Anisimov.
Well said sir. Well said.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

As others have said, this is a nice thread to have being we havent developed a legitimate center in Lord knows how long. Both have consistent 2nd liner upside.

Stepan's season was weird to me, and I think its hard to judge him based on the kind of game he was forced to play. I think its amazing he scored 20 goals as a 20 year old on a team devoid of talent last season. But I see him more as a distrubutor down the road - his vision is the strongest part of the game and will only be enhanced when he gets stronger physically.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
NYR Viper

They will both be legitimate 2nd line centers by the time they hit their primes. Both have quite a bit of growth potential.

People are selling Anisimov's offensive skills short. Sad really.

Stepan has the leadership skills and an amazing hockey sense that have been evident since his freshman season at Wisconsin.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I mean you can say the same for Anisimov.
AA needs help too but I seem to remember Stepan being markedly worse.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlyRangers View Post
However, I think a lot of you are forgetting anisimov's amazing puck handling skills that he shows in flashes for highlight reel goals.
Not really, you only do see flashes of what he can do with the puck, and I just don't think it's ever going to be his bread-and-butter. He's never going to be Pavel Datsyuk.

That said, I am always forgetting how young Anisimov is, and he has a lot of time to improve and prove me wrong!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:34 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

At the moment I would say Artem because hes more experienced at the NHL-Level and plays a better 2-Way game. just my point of view. But Derek isnt that much behind him. TBH I like both

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Stepan's season was weird to me, and I think its hard to judge him based on the kind of game he was forced to play. I think its amazing he scored 20 goals as a 20 year old on a team devoid of talent last season. But I see him more as a distrubutor down the road - his vision is the strongest part of the game and will only be enhanced when he gets stronger physically.
Indeed. How well Stepan can learn to play the game at the pro level like he played at lower levels (i.e. as a playmaker) will determine what his ultimate upside is. His game this season wasn't nearly as much like a "playmaker" as it was in college and at the WJC, probably as he was adjusting to a new level of play, which is understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
AA needs help too but I seem to remember Stepan being markedly worse.
Stepan was one of the worst in the league, IIRC.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Jim Ramsay

Down the road I know Stepan is going to be that guy and bless him if he reaches that point sooner rather than later, but I really think AA gets overlooked a lot by ranger fans. You can put him in any situation on the ice and there is no doubt he can hold his own.... He also scored one of my favorite goals of the year last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T-5CYIrHBc

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Finally we actually have good center depth. Its just nice to have a thread where we can argue about where our centers should play

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote