HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doughty vs. Subban

View Poll Results: Doughty or Subban
Doughty 267 62.38%
Subban 161 37.62%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Paul Dipietro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If Subban were not on the Habs we would not know about him, not to the extent we do. We would think he is a temporarily overachieving 2nd round draft pick.
Maybe if he was playing for the Leafs or the Bruins...

For any other team I'd know about him as much as I know about John Carlson

Old
07-12-2011, 10:40 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Today, tough to go against Doughty...but I think it'll def be up for debate at this point next year.

Subban's ceiling as a player is sky high and you know he has the attitude/drive to reach that ceiling.
That's exactly it. He has the drive, the right attitude, the confidence is through the roof. He's the kind of player who will work hard and become at least as good as Doughty, at least that's what I think. Like you said his ceiling is huge and he's only ever improved thus far at all facets of the game and he improves greatly each year. It's been a really long time since we've had a kid develop the way Subban has.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:42 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dipietro View Post
Maybe if he was playing for the Leafs or the Bruins...

For any other team I'd know about him as much as I know about John Carlson
That's actually a very good analogy, nice job.

They're both overachieving relative to their draft rank, and they both emerged in the 2009-2010 playoffs.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:51 AM
habfan1968

Based on the question, which player under 24 would you choose to build your franchise around and using just what we know about the two players which would include everything we know about them both. Work ethic, team leadership, willingness to learn, contract status, cost to play the player and who else is on the team. Using those types of parameters on top of their respective skills at this moment, Subban makes the most sense. I can see PK improving and becoming a top 5 - 10 d man in the league.

Old
07-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If Subban wasn't on our team we'd hate his guts and probably spam that poll so he'd lose in epic fashion.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Strokes

With out a shadow of a doubt, my vote would go to Doughty. He has a better resume. But IMO PK will blossom when Martin steps down. The cuffs will come off and we'll see a more explosive Subban.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Habsawce

Subban works out with Laylorsystems in Toronto and does 2 a day during the off season. He's a physical specimen and Doughty is known for the Kyle Wellwood offseason special.

That being said, Doughty's gold medal says hi.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Nails Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
To be fair Doughty has also had a lot more time to adjust to playing at the NHL level and picking his spots. Not to mention Doughty can take a chance on the big hits, Jack Johnson is a pretty fast skater. If Subban fails he has Gill as the last defense, which likely factors in him narrowing down his chances even more.
Seen this in a few posts. Get real- Doughty doesn't pair with Jack Johnson. And if he did it would hinder him as much as Gill did Subban. At least Subban can take more chances knowing that Gill will be in the right position defensively. Johnson is a turnover waiting to happen and has a lot to learn about playing defense. Until he tames his free wheeling style JJ would probably limit the chances Doughty can take offensively... if they played together. They don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Based on the question, which player under 24 would you choose to build your franchise around and using just what we know about the two players which would include everything we know about them both. Work ethic, team leadership, willingness to learn, contract status, cost to play the player and who else is on the team. Using those types of parameters on top of their respective skills at this moment, Subban makes the most sense. I can see PK improving and becoming a top 5 - 10 d man in the league.
Which Doughty already is. So we are banking on Subban becoming as good as Doughty is now.

I'm a big Subban fan, but realistically, there's no way any objective viewer chooses him over Doughty when building a franchise. Obviously we will overestimate Subban on the Habs board, but the occasional comments that this is no contest in favour of Subban are laughable. Whoever brought up the John Carlson comparison is right. Those are similar players at similar points in their careers. NOT Subban and Doughty. I know it's TSN's poll, so I'm not getting all up in arms about it, but if it's close on the TSN page it's only b/c Habs fans are stuffing the ballot box. Remember when Komisarek was a starter on the NHL all-star team? That's the only way Subban>Doughty in this one.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:10 PM
la25ecoupe

Personality Subban >>>>>> Doughtry

Old
07-12-2011, 12:17 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Personality Subban >>>>>> Doughtry
Stanley Cups aren't won with personality

Old
07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

I usually make the choice that makes sense but you can call me a homer here. Subban is born to be an hab...theres no way I'd take some1 else over him in a trade. He gives it all he got everynight. He did no much amazing things in 1 year I just can't believe what he'll do in the next 10. Brick Walled Marchand, the triple low five, the trolling, pissing off Richards so much that know he's in the western c. hat trick in Minni. He's also the clutchiest guy ever with that OT goal vs Chicago at the end of the reg. season and the tieing goal vs Boston in the PO.

On another note, theres something Doughty will never have that Subban has and it's the hate from everyone not on his side. DOughty is a lovable player even if he's not on your team, Subban isnt.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:30 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Stanley Cups aren't won with personality
They actually in the most part are...

Old
07-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Not sure why you're so surprised. Subban's a charismatic, highly competitive, flashy and very talented player who has rapidly exceeded expectations at every stage of his career. He's fast, physical, and always engaged in the play--far more than any other player has been for the team in a long time. Even though he's not at Doughty's level, nor is he a Norris candidate nor world-beater, I don't see why it's hilarious that Hab fans would show partiality and loyalty to such a player.
I'm definitely not surprised. Neither that the comparison is being made, nor that it's so close. I'm amused. We're talking about the here and now, a direct comparison between the two, and the answer is Doughty. If the poll was about opinions on what the future may hold, or reserved a spot for the obvious homer votes, I could understand. But this is the Habs board, and to expect anything different would be ignorance on my part.

I also very much understand partiality and loyalty. I'm quite loyal to Myers, who had an amazing first year winning the Calder, and then slumped a bit through the first half of last year before pulling it together and finishing very strong both on defensive and offensive plays (10-27-37 +/- 0), while turning down the level of useless penalties (40 PIM) and yet I'd never vote him over Doughty, and very likely nor would most Sabres fans. It's just reality.

CAN Subban get there? Yes, without a doubt. CAN Myers get there? Also without a doubt (and I'm REALLY not trying to compare Myers to Subban). But right now? Come on.

Hilarious is a strong word, and I take it back. I'll go with amused. I just hope he doesn't have a sophomore slump like Doughty and Myers had, because Habs "fans" (fans in quotes because living here I fully realize a huge percentage of the most vocal ppl are just fair weather fans) will throw him under the bus immediately.

/long-winded

Old
07-12-2011, 12:36 PM
76ftw

Pretty sure we're talking about who is more important to their franchise.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Protest the Hero

Why are some Habs fans so self conscious, who cares what the people on the main board think about you. We already know they hate us, voting for Subban isn't going to change that.

I voted Doughty in case someone wants to call me a homer or something.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:14 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Who is better right now? Doughty without a doubt. Would I trade him straight up for Subban? No. People can laugh at that but the guy was born to be a Hab, competes hard every night, and is a model citizen. PK has so much enthusiasm and skill that he is so entertaining to watch, we haven't had a player like that in Montreal for a while, except maybe for Kovalev who didn't always bring it.

I to have heard rumors about Doughty's escapades and that would scare me a bit as a GM. Doughty prolly will have a better career overall but the gap is not as great as some on the main board would have you believe, haterz over there to be sure.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

PK has flair and showmanship and sparkle and star-quality... and he plays great hockey.

Doughty is just another bland dude who plays great hockey.

PK all the way

Old
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
They actually in the most part are...
I actually don't really disagree with this. Ofc it depends what you mean by personality, but the emotion, ability to raise your game to another level when everything is on the line, work ethics, etc... that wins Cups.

Just look at the last one. Bruins were not more skilled than the Canucks. But they had emotion, work ethics, some players really raised their game (like Thomas)... the Canucks sadly had their best players who did not.

That being said in the case of Subban/Doughty, no matter what he does off the ice I see Doughty as a guy who can raise his game to another level and show emotion when it counts. He showed it in the Olympics and in the playoffs last year.

Old
07-12-2011, 03:19 PM
JustAHabFan

Just love Subban's attitude and work ethics. My homer vote will go the my most favorite Habs' player: PK Subban.

Old
07-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Ollie Williams

I moved my cursor in preparation to vote for Doughty. Closing in on the name, I felt a pressure that did not cease. A force had taken control. Upon inspecting my selection, it was the name Subban that had appeared to be selected on my screen. I wondered how this could be. Suddenly, a tying goal minutes before the end of a game flashed before my eyes. An assist by Plekanec and a bullet by none other than P.K. Subban was all it displayed. My brain was screaming "Doughty!" A faint whisper could be heard, almost undecipherable. "Subban" it said. I had to make a decision, and decided I did.

I went with my heart. That's what P.K. would do.

Last edited by Ollie Williams: 07-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old
07-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

I voted subban to make you guys look bad.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
One Trick Pony

lol everyone keeps saying how Doughty is younger than Subban as if it's a huge factor, so I went to hockey db expecting a big difference in age only to find out that it's only 7 months. SEVEN MONTHS. That's all I had to say.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:35 PM
haburger

subban for sure.i believe his will to win is HUGE.but we will see who hoists first.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Its obviously Doughty right now, hes a special player

but its closer than you think..

subban was kept on a leash for over half the season, but it strongly helped his defensive game

in 3 years? they could very well be tied

Old
07-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
lol everyone keeps saying how Doughty is younger than Subban as if it's a huge factor, so I went to hockey db expecting a big difference in age only to find out that it's only 7 months. SEVEN MONTHS. That's all I had to say.
But then you have people saying "Subban will get there" or "Subban is still progressing". Wait... Doughty is younger! 7 months or 1 day... Don't make it sound like he's done progressing. He's still learning. He's younger AND has more NHL experience. You can't factor that out.

Closed Thread