HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Shea wants a short term deal ?

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
If anything the Wings are saving money to go after Suter next offseason and he would be the heir apparent to Lidstrom.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:11 AM
KevFist
is best pony

I've never been in favor of the big lifetime type deals. Seems that signing weber to a shorter deal would seriously be beneficial to both himself and the club. That way, you don't get hamstrung with DiPietro/Lecavalier type deals.

Old
07-11-2011, 11:52 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
I've never been in favor of the big lifetime type deals. Seems that signing weber to a shorter deal would seriously be beneficial to both himself and the club. That way, you don't get hamstrung with DiPietro/Lecavalier type deals.
I agree. It's such a massive risk for the team, and the Preds don't have the ability to make that contract disappear like a bigger market would. Give me 3-5 instead.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
pekkaslap

Poile has mentioned "comparables" pretty much every time negotiations have been brought up. Are they just going to wait until Doughty signs with LA no matter what? There doesn't seem to be much going on and I don't see it happening at the SKOTU like many thought as there would be some news leaking by now I think.

Old
07-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Well if a Weber signing isnt the main thing like last years Lombo and Weber being announced C what is? New jersey? Lebda? Bergfors?

Old
07-11-2011, 10:23 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Well if a Weber signing isnt the main thing like last years Lombo and Weber being announced C what is? New jersey? Lebda? Bergfors?
The jersey unveil. Seriously. That's all I have expect. Anything else is just gravy.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:13 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Poile has mentioned "comparables" pretty much every time negotiations have been brought up. Are they just going to wait until Doughty signs with LA no matter what? There doesn't seem to be much going on and I don't see it happening at the SKOTU like many thought as there would be some news leaking by now I think.
Doughty is probably waiting for Weber and Weber is probably waiting for Doughty. It's like a staring contest who is going to blink first? Eventually someone is going to have to nut up and lead the way.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:18 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
The jersey unveil. Seriously. That's all I have expect. Anything else is just gravy.
I agree. Then when asked about not acquiring scoring help Poile well go into the vault to pull out "We like what we have", "It's time for the young guys to start carrying the offensive load" " Our biggest acquisition was resigning SK". ", "We feel Bergfors can be a producer for us", " The D has to help the offense more", " We are waiting for Radulov to come back in 2012"

Honestly I'll be there for the season ticket holder equipment sale (Which is a great idea by the way) but I'm not staying the hours until the conference. Will be interesting to see what Poile says though.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:02 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I agree. Then when asked about not acquiring scoring help Poile well go into the vault to pull out "We like what we have", "It's time for the young guys to start carrying the offensive load" " Our biggest acquisition was resigning SK". ", "We feel Bergfors can be a producer for us", " The D has to help the offense more", " We are waiting for Radulov to come back in 2012"

Honestly I'll be there for the season ticket holder equipment sale (Which is a great idea by the way) but I'm not staying the hours until the conference. Will be interesting to see what Poile says though.
they may very well say all of this, but remember we are still something like 7 million dollars from the cap floor.

another piece is coming, we just dont know when and who.

Old
07-12-2011, 07:43 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post

Don't forget about, "Our free agency was locking up our own guys like Cal, Halischuk, and Stits."

Old
07-12-2011, 09:56 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
they may very well say all of this, but remember we are still something like 7 million dollars from the cap floor.

another piece is coming, we just dont know when and who.
They very well may announce Weber's new deal at the SkOTU, and I'd be as happy as anyone provided it isn't a 1-2yr deal. The thing is they don't have to spend that money to get to the cap floor until right before the season starts, and Weber's arbitration date isn't until August. There is no reason to believe they will have a deal done and announced tomorrow. It would be nice, but I've learned to not get my hopes up over the summer when it comes to hockey. Unless, ya know, it's us looking for a local ownership group to stick it to a weaselly businessman from Canada. That turned out pretty good when I got my hopes up

Old
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Legionnaire11

That banner on at&t is huge, it would seem strange for the Preds to go all out like that and not having anything major to announce tomorrow other than the jerseys.

But the way news gets around these days, we surely would have heard whispers that a Weber signing was coming tomorrow. So who knows.

Old
07-12-2011, 11:11 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
But the way news gets around these days, we surely would have heard whispers that a Weber signing was coming tomorrow. So who knows.
If Eklund's not said anything about it, it won't be happening

Old
07-12-2011, 11:12 AM
pekkaslap

With the NFL lockout still going on, this would be a great chance for the Preds to really tighten grips on the headlines going into about 2 months of inactivity before training camp. My feeling is though that nothing major will be announced.

Old
07-12-2011, 12:12 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I would like for one day Poile to pull a WWE and have Radulov and Weber both come out at the same time. (And maybe slam a metal chair upside Radulov's head for going to Russia in the first place. )

Old
07-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I would like for one day Poile to pull a WWE and have Radulov and Weber both come out at the same time. (And maybe slam a metal chair upside Radulov's head for going to Russia in the first place. )
I imagine that would get headlines.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:06 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
I think one problem the Predators have, is that the number you set Weber at, will be expected by Suter as well.

Then you have Peks. Ohhh Peks. What's it going to cost to keep a Vezina nominee?

You're realistically looking at tying up $15-$19 of the Predators payroll, during the height of Erat ($6m next year) and Legwand's contracts....

Old
07-12-2011, 01:23 PM
pekkaslap

Does anyone think it's possible we lose all 3 of Suter, Weber, and Rinne? I mean 5 years from now, which of those is still a Predator?

Old
07-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Does anyone think it's possible we lose all 3 of Suter, Weber, and Rinne? I mean 5 years from now, which of those is still a Predator?
Is it possible? sure. Likely? absolutely not. I'll say there is a 40% chance all 3 are preds in 5 years, 80% chance of two, and 98% chance of at least one. I can't really see a situation where all 3 leave.....

Old
07-12-2011, 01:27 PM
pekkaslap

I personally think Suter may be the odd man out. They have talent behind him and I think they're grooming Blum to be his replacement. Weber is the face of the franchise and our superstar player, you pay him what he wants. Rinne is the great equalizer and wins us games by himself on a regular basis.

Old
07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Am I the only one that if it came down to it, I'd rather have Suter than Weber with all things considered?

Old
07-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
Am I the only one that if it came down to it, I'd rather have Suter than Weber with all things considered?
On ice production only, i agree. but weber is just too valuable as a PR machine compared to the less flashy Suter. The media backlash if we traded Weber would kill this team....

Old
07-12-2011, 02:27 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
On ice production only, i agree. but weber is just too valuable as a PR machine compared to the less flashy Suter. The media backlash if we traded Weber would kill this team....
You shouldn't run a team based on PR. If it makes the team better, then it should be done. Winning is the ultimate cure for almost anything in sports from locker room dissension to fan disenchantment. If the Preds do the popular thing and lose, it quickly becomes unpopular. If they do the unpopular thing and win, it is either forgotten or hailed.

Poile should have enough job security to not have to look over his shoulder with every move. He needs to act like Belichick and do things the way he feels they should be done (like going for it on 4th and 3 in a given instance) and not worry about what people outside of his organization will think of him if he does it.

If Poile had the opportunity to trade Suter and Weber this afternoon and he honestly felt it would make the team better, then he should do it (notwithstanding issues of player loyalty that could bite us in the future).

Old
07-12-2011, 03:01 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I think Blum or Josi could fill Suter's role. No one can fill Weber's.

Old
07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
JamboPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think Blum or Josi could fill Suter's role. No one can fill Weber's.
I think our franchise would be very fortunate if we had a player in our system to fill Suter's role. Blum and Josi are predicted to have a bright NHL future, but if they get anywhere near the talent level of Ryan Suter then i will be very very pleased.

Closed Thread