HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lepistö going to Manhattan (UPDATE: Signs with CHI)

Old
07-12-2011, 01:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
OK player. Handles the puck pretty well and has some bite. He's a classic 7th defenseman on a good team type. Surprised Columbus isn't holding on to him. wouldn't be the worse signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
These are the kinds of moves that Sather makes that angers the whole fan-base. Why make this move when we have V-Tank, Kundratek in the mix?
Well, I'm part of the fan base and it doesn't anger me. He's a classic depth signing. If he beats out the other players, fine, if not he plays in Hartford. exactly what's the problem?

Last edited by bobbop: 07-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Like I said everyone should expect one roster spot to go to a vet 5-7th dman..

Its a lock, no one goes into the season with no vet depth at the back end.. we're not the Islanders

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Oh dear ****.. I hate this signing. He was totally useless in Finland's WC team. One of the worst d-men in the team.

I hate this.

Edit; BTW the source is not really reliable and in fact the article just says that Rangers are one of the teams Lepistö is negotiating with.

Last edited by Latex*: 07-12-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:05 PM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
These are the kinds of moves that Sather makes that angers the whole fan-base. Why make this move when we have V-Tank, Kundratek in the mix?
1% of the fan-base is familiar with Valentenko and Kundratek.
1% of the 1% is stupid enough to think that those guys will be left out of the mix if they deserve a spot.

So your really just talking about 1/10000 fans who is angered by Sather signing a Dman with experience, and we'd be better off as a fan-base if those select few took a hike.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Like I said everyone should expect one roster spot to go to a vet 5-7th dman..

Its a lock, no one goes into the season with no vet depth at the back end.. we're not the Islanders
You're absolutely right. Assuming that Erixon makes the team (which of course is no given), there is no way the Rangers are not going to add a veteran -- either Eminger or someone else. Whoever it is, he probably won't be a future Hall of Famer.

Taking all that into account, even though Eminger really opened my eyes last season, but Lepistö brings a skillset that fits the Rangers' needs better.

I just hope that Eminger is given a good shot somewhere, either with us or another NHL team this season -- he deserves it.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Very very mehhh move imo, I'd rather have MDZ, Erixon, Valentenko, Pashnin, and Kundratek battle it out for the last 2 spots
Except that there are 3 open spots, not 2. Teams normally carry 7 dmen in case of injury. Do you want one of those guys sitting in the press box?

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Has this rumor appeared anywhere else besides this Finnish newspaper?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:47 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Except that there are 3 open spots, not 2. Teams normally carry 7 dmen in case of injury. Do you want one of those guys sitting in the press box?
the last part is the key to the equation...there has been some confusion over v-tank's waiver status and obviously if he needs waivers then he stays in ny like sauer last year. but if those kids can all go down without waivers then anyone not in the top 6 you want playing in hartford until a spot opens up. and let a vet we don't care about sit in the press box.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
What about letting them earn their spot?
The "whole fan-base" tend to forget that injuries is not a country in central Asia. It's happening here. The youngsters will get their chance during the season if they fail to qualify during camp.

McDonagh didn't start on the roster last season, he seems to do just fine now, he was ready when he got his chance. Being inked for a spot creates pressure, ask MDZ. You're not given a spot, you take it.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Royd View Post
Michal Rozsival was a relatively young defender, decent at most things, great at none, that Sather picked off the UFA pile for cheap. Sound at all familiar to Lepisto? The hope with Rozsival was that his offense would begin to flourish...which it did, if only for a few seasons. I'd think the hope is the same for Lepisto.

But yeah, Rozsival sucked and was terrible at everything always. For sure.
I feel your pain. Rozi beat out every other D and was our nr 1 D for years. Got us into the POs after a 7 year drought. You know what, let's hate him. He wasn't Norris caliber...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I don't dislike, but I don't like. I'm eh on this move. All it's gonna do is rile the retarded people up who are gonna be saying "WTF sign Duby and Cally, stop signing all these other people, Sather is ****ing retarded"...
Oh no, if people said that it would set the org back for years...

Old
07-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Very very mehhh move imo, I'd rather have MDZ, Erixon, Valentenko, Pashnin, and Kundratek battle it out for the last 2 spots
If a kid can't beat out a Lepistö or Emminger, maybe he is not ready?

Old
07-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers5 View Post
Can anyone provide a scouting report?
Like everyone have said, a poised D.

He plays good a good game of hockey, without being that talented.

Old
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
If a kid can't beat out a Lepistö or Emminger, maybe he is not ready?
And if a kid can't beat out Redden he must really suck.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I want to give Valentenko a chance. We have no big hitter and fear coming over the blue line pays dividends.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I want to give Valentenko a chance. We have no big hitter and fear coming over the blue line pays dividends.
I agree. No one on our backend plays that kind of style.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Agreed and I think if Lepisto signs that the 6th spot will be between he and V-Tank (since V-Tank is out of options and will probably not clear waivers). So Lepisto will serve the Eminger role as Erixon/V-Tank ease their way into the line up as Sauer did last season.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Any of you who are not happy about the Rangers potentially signing him are being silly. Lepisto is a great defenseman. Solid, skilled, good skater, and while he isn't the most intimidating physical force, he does lay out some hits and block some shots.

My comparison: A better version of Matt Gilroy.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I'd still prefer Erixon-MDZ-Vtank.
Not sure why we'd want ANOTHER lefty d-man. I'm sure Vtank can play RD being a more defensive guy. And with his cannon, in the O-zone, that could be to his advantage.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Mikos87

I think we have this years sacrificial lamb for the boo birds, great signing if true, even if it's just to preserve a kids confidence.

It seems like every year we have to have a soft non physical defender that doesn't bring a solid and consistent puck transport game. He doesn't look bad out there on the power play, but you've got to have an NHL ready asset in case of injuries, projections not planning out, and so forth.

I hope he is here working out and getting access to the training center, but not signed to a contract. I'd rather see him earn one like Feds during camp, and this way we can see where the kids are at.

Lepisto can skate, he seems like he knows what to do with the puck in the offensive zone.

But he's another guy that can get rattled after being hit. Not an assertive defender from what Ive seen.

I'd like to thank Matt Gilroy for being the
***** on the blueline, great guy good luck in Tampa, he'll be effective in their system.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Any of you who are not happy about the Rangers potentially signing him are being silly. Lepisto is a great defenseman. Solid, skilled, good skater, and while he isn't the most intimidating physical force, he does lay out some hits and block some shots.

My comparison: A better version of Matt Gilroy.
Why? He already seems to have failed in the NHL once and he's touted here as being a part time player. How many 6th defensemen run the power play? Maybe Valentenko can make it, and maybe he can't. But he brings skills the Rangers need and don't have without the pressure of being expected to be an offensive force. And we've had quite enough of Matt Gilroy types for the time being.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:32 PM
UAGoalieGuy

He adds experience and depth to the blueline. For the right price, I can't see how this is a bad thing.

I mean we touted our prospects and pencil them in in our line-ups because face it, we are a bit homerish and we think we know our prospects the best because they are our prospects and we follow them more then players of other teams.

May be this organization and its professional scouts/coaching staff do not think Kundertek/MDZ/V-Tank are ready for full time NHL duty yet. Maybe they want to ease V-Tank in as the 7th D but want a known quatity that can log 3rd pairing minutes effectively.

If a poster like Bobbop says its a good signing for what will more then likely be what he's ask to provide I'm all for it (at the right price ofcoarse). I mean he lives in Phoenix or the surrounding areas and gets to catch a lot of their games.

Let's see if the Rangers actually sign him and what happens in training camp. One thing we pretty much know for sure is that if he gets out played by all the kids in camp the kids will get the roster spot and he will be on the waiver wire.

This organization wants to make a run this year and to do so they need depth and experience to go with the teams youth. Nothing wrong with this move at all.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Vitto79

again the team is going to have a vet 7th regardless. They are not going to sit a kid

Also McD and Sauer or sophmores. I expect them to do great but DZ sure failed in his 2nd yr. Erixon and Vtank can battle it out with DZ and one goes down

Does Vtank not have an option left cause this is not his RFA yr like we originally thought?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:46 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Are there any legitimate sources confirming this? People are going nuts over a broken english translation from some random website in bumb**** nowhere, uk how many hits that site just generated true or not?

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
OK player. Handles the puck pretty well and has some bite. He's a classic 7th defenseman on a good team type. Surprised Columbus isn't holding on to him. wouldn't be the worse signing.

Well, I'm part of the fan base and it doesn't anger me. He's a classic depth signing. If he beats out the other players, fine, if not he plays in Hartford. exactly what's the problem?
Columbus did not qualify Lepisto

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote