HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins to host prospect development camp from 7/11 - 7/16

Old
07-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Freeptop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Stefan Fournier (RW) of the Lewiston MAINEiacs has been invited, he put 20 goals and 47 points last year. I'm wondering if they invite a goalie so they don't have to take Thiessen to the prospect tournament.
Considering he wasn't listed on the Pens' website, I suspect he was invited to the fall rookie camp, but not the summer development camp.

In fact, based on the listing of players on the Pens' website, there won't be any invites for the summer development camp.

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:39 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I'm just going to bump this as a dedicated prospect camp thread.

Baby Pens facebook page posted some images of the morning testing.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 10:59 AM
bigd

Does anyone on here have access to the camp? I know it's not open to the general public.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Considering he wasn't listed on the Pens' website, I suspect he was invited to the fall rookie camp, but not the summer development camp.

In fact, based on the listing of players on the Pens' website, there won't be any invites for the summer development camp.
Man, was I wrong about this one! Figures they release a list of players last week, and then the actual roster yesterday. Can't say I'm unhappy to have been wrong about this one, though - I thought it was strange they only had one goaltender going to the development camp

Freeptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 01:16 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I'm just going to bump this as a dedicated prospect camp thread.

Baby Pens facebook page posted some images of the morning testing.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Veilleux looks like he bulked up a little, I see him as the dark horse prospect out of the guys people mention for "battling for a spot."

Despres has a massive noggin' and yeah, dude could use a few weeks/months in the gym to add some meat to those arms.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Yah he could use 15 lbs top to bottom easy, although he looks to be in good shape in general.

KV has a freakish looking tendon. Did he have surgery or something? Looks weird.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
Veilleux looks like he bulked up a little, I see him as the dark horse prospect out of the guys people mention for "battling for a spot."

Despres has a massive noggin' and yeah, dude could use a few weeks/months in the gym to add some meat to those arms.
I thought Bennet definitely looks like he's added those 15lbs of muscle from last year. He looks thicker and less scrawny.

As for Despres. He's coming off a long season, probably took some time off to rest and heal from injuries. He's got a good two months to hit the gym and bulk back up, no worries.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Ian Altenbaugh
Hockey's Future Staff

I was able to talk to Tangradi one-on-one in the locker room at the camp. He's very familiar with HF...his dad even more so. Here's the article:

http://hfboards.com/blog.php?b=549

I've got enough for maybe three more articles...and plan on going at least one if not two more times this week so stay tuned. I'll be tweeting some of the event as well.

07-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Altenbaugh View Post
I was able to talk to Tangradi one-on-one in the locker room at the camp. He's very familiar with HF...his dad even more so. Here's the article:

I've got enough for maybe three more articles...and plan on going at least one if not two more times this week so stay tuned. I'll be tweeting some of the event as well.
Great to hear something...doesn't seem to be a lot of coverage on the prospect camp yet.

Big Dog's at 232 eh? Pretty effin big. I'm always a little leery when an already big guy adds that much weight...he says he can play at the same speed, but I guess we'll see. I mean, Ryan Malone's playing weight is 215-225...I wonder if Tangradi might've been better served trimming down and gaining some agility.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:50 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Weird, it tells me I can't access the blog.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Great to hear something...doesn't seem to be a lot of coverage on the prospect camp yet.

Big Dog's at 232 eh? Pretty effin big. I'm always a little leery when an already big guy adds that much weight...he says he can play at the same speed, but I guess we'll see. I mean, Ryan Malone's playing weight is 215-225...I wonder if Tangradi might've been better served trimming down and gaining some agility.
Jagr & Lindros were like 230+ and were pretty agile, Ovy at 220+ is agile and only 1 of these guys were 6'4".

I don't think weight makes you less agile, Tangradi is getting stronger, that will help him play his style and if he continues to get better in front of the net, that strength will be even more valuable.

Old
07-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Woah.

Rob Madore is there.

He's a local kid from Peters Twp. Talked a decent bit with him last fall and bought a pair of his UVM pants.

Small world.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Jagr & Lindros were like 230+ and were pretty agile, Ovy at 220+ is agile and only 1 of these guys were 6'4".

I don't think weight makes you less agile, Tangradi is getting stronger, that will help him play his style and if he continues to get better in front of the net, that strength will be even more valuable.
Those guys are exceptions to almost every rule though.

I always look back to Iggy post-lockout. He added a bunch of weight and lost his mobility, and his production suffered big time. Then the next off-season he went with lean muscle and tore the league up again. I know Tangradi and Iggy don't play the same game, but our system is predicated on speed above almost all else, and if ET's a step behind, it'll be hard for him to contribute at ES.

215-220 seems a solid weight for a guy his size.

Old
07-12-2011, 05:03 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

It's about how he feels with the weight though, if he feels fine at that weight, I will trust him and the trainers because they don't seem to be discouraged by it.

I just hope with the weight, Tangradi uses his size more often and punishes players along the boards and in front of the net on the powerplay. I still have a lot of hope for Tangradi.

Old
07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Ian Altenbaugh
Hockey's Future Staff

He basically said that getting tougher mentally allowed him to be tougher physically.

He felt that he really started to carve out a niche towards the end of the season with the Pens and while it was only two games, I tend to agree. He provided a strong net-front presence on the PP and in general seemed to provide a lot of energy when he was on the ice.

Ian Altenbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

Cool! Thanks Ian and thanks Eric for taking the time to talk with Ian. (I assume you're lurking around here somewhere so I just want you to know, it's your job to make the Top 6 and ensure Pascal doesn't get put back on a line with Sid or Geno. No pressure! )

But seriously at 230, he should be able to steam-roll some people. I like it / hope he has a great camp / has upped his game. This is more exciting news than FA as far as I'm concerned. This FA has been a snooze-fest.

If our Top 6 RW are TK, Sully and Tangradi all season... that would be pure win potentially.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Sideline

People hear 230 and think it's crazy big because most guys are 5'10" and they get pretty bulky at 185. I'm 6'5" and I'd be close to Nugent-Hopkins skinny at 185. If Tangradi is a legit 6'4" then 230 doesn't seem "too big" to me.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:27 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
People hear 230 and think it's crazy big because most guys are 5'10" and they get pretty bulky at 185. I'm 6'5" and I'd be close to Nugent-Hopkins skinny at 185. If Tangradi is a legit 6'4" then 230 doesn't seem "too big" to me.
That's another thing.

Jordan Staal is the same height as Eric Tangradi, Tangradi is now 230lbs, Jordan Staal is 220lbs. I mean even looking at Staal without his shirt on in pics people post, he looks like he could still bulk up a little. Tangradi is all about the girth .

Tangradi is a thick guy, he doesn't look like he has a strong upper body and weak lower body, he looks proportionate and sturdy, perfect for the net front presence type. Veilleux is top heavy, but in the recent pics he seems like he's evening out with muscle mass all over.

no homo.

Old
07-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Harry Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Woah.

Rob Madore is there.

He's a local kid from Peters Twp. Talked a decent bit with him last fall and bought a pair of his UVM pants.

Small world.
I caught that too. I graduated from UVM in '09. Saw him put up a .910+ as an 18 year old freshman on a streaky Catamounts team.

When I graduated I think he was a junior, and a bright spot on a young, inexperienced team ravaged by turnover. Kept them in a lot of games they didn't belong in. Could be a good depth signing for WBS after he graduates next May.

/back to lurking

Harry Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 06:40 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

He's fairly small though isn't he? 5'10" is he good enough to over come that to possibly get an AHL level contract? Maybe even the ECHL?

Old
07-12-2011, 06:43 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

I have a question about Reid McNeill.

What kind of defenseman is he? I get that he's a defensive defenseman type, but how physical is he? A consistently physical guy?

Old
07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
He basically said that getting tougher mentally allowed him to be tougher physically.

He felt that he really started to carve out a niche towards the end of the season with the Pens and while it was only two games, I tend to agree. He provided a strong net-front presence on the PP and in general seemed to provide a lot of energy when he was on the ice.
Thanks Ian, tell him next with the next stint to get a bit more nasty. I've been waiting to see it since we got him. He has the frame for it. Hope he makes the most of his camp(s).

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:38 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

I wonder if he had a nasty streak when he was with the Bulls in the OHL. Has he ever shown that kind of mean streak at any level of hockey he's played in?

Old
07-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
It's about how he feels with the weight though, if he feels fine at that weight, I will trust him and the trainers because they don't seem to be discouraged by it.

I just hope with the weight, Tangradi uses his size more often and punishes players along the boards and in front of the net on the powerplay. I still have a lot of hope for Tangradi.
Oh, definitely. It could go either way, and the proof will be in the pudding. I just know that he wasn't the fleetest of foot last year and I was hoping he might've gained a step this off-season, which the extra weight might compromise.

Quote:

For sure. I was begging for Bylsma to throw ET into the playoff line-up when we were struggling so badly on the PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Yeah, it's not gargantuan, but it gives pause. Some big net-front guys like Knuble and Byfuglien play at that 230+, but I think it's fairly rare, especially for guys getting regular even-strength time.

Old
07-12-2011, 08:00 PM
OnlyTheBrave*

Byfuglien is more like 240+ and Knuble is listed exactly at 230lbs for being 6'3"...6'4" and 232lbs is pretty filled out. I mean beyond that and he's getting into beast category. I still hope Tangradi can end up being our version of Bertuzzi (before the Moore incident).

I am hoping someone responds to that mean streak question, if he has ever displayed that side of his game in the OHL or AHL.

As for his skating, he looked above average to me, by no means a guy that will flat out beat guys in a foot race for a puck, but he wasn't by any means "slow." His speed when he gets going is fine, his acceleration needs work, it looks like it takes him longer to get to full speed. I am sure he has been working on that though, I trust the team's trainers and what not.

I mean Jeffrey went from a guy that had skating as an issue and corrected that in what seems like 1 summer. He could still stand to get better in that department as well.